Stockpile Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been wanting to work on this too. I have enough stockpiled now for 3 or 4 months but I'd really love to be stockpiled for longer. My problem is bugs and mice. We live in the country and NOTHING we do seems to get rid of the mice in winter. I have to be careful how and where I store items.

I stockpile by buying only what I know we will eat. I don't buy things in larger sizes then I know we will use. We don't like canned veggies warmed over. So I buy just the regular sized cans, never anything bigger except for kidney beans. I use a big can plus one small can to make a batch of chili so they do get used. I rarely find a coupon for something we use. I do use them if I find one, but it's never worth the price of a Sunday paper for me. I use mostly store brands and buy on sale. When I find something on sale that we use, I buy as much as I can afford at the time. I'm lucky in that I have been stockpiling for a while so I have a good supply on hand already.

This is a great thread for all of us to use to work on our stockpiles! Good luck to everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WV_mom_of2 ,

We have a mouse problem but the outside dogs catch them outside-yuck and the cats catch them if they make it inside so that helps.

I also had the exterminator put out bait in places the pets can't get and make sure I pick up any dead mice.

My animals don't eat, bite, or chew them. It worried me that they might eat a poisoned mouse so we are okay there

I too don't buy gallons cans of anything except tomatoes which I then can and process into hot sauce/salsa, and I am about to make tomato sauce. I make quarts.

As for coupons, sometimes I get lucky with pads, HBAs, and pet items or cleaners(although I tend to make my own as well as my own laundry soap) so I understand what you mean.

Once you cut out the prepackaged foods and are left with staples the coupon trail dries up.

I too buy alot of store brands and Food Club gives me 5% off every item I buy if I buy 5 or more. I saved $4.70 off of $115. Every bit helps right!?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I may go to the walmart across town for my shelves since mine is out of them at this time.

I need to balance my account and look at money first.

I am itching to get all my shelves up and my room organized.

Anyone add any stockpiling..I added 2 gallon cans of tomatoes to make hot sauce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just sat and read through this thread, I love it, thanks cricket legs for starting this. I have only started really stockpileing about maybe a month or 2. I have started to step it up a notch. I always had some extra on hand of soap, tooth paste etc, but now I really want to get a little more organized and more stuff on hand. Last year in December DH hurt his back and was off work for a while. Things were hard for us then, so now I want to be more prepared.

Anyway, I cleaned out my cuppards and started to add things to the top shelf as stockpiled items. These are things that we are not using, I have the other two shelves full too, but these are just our groceries and what not that we use day to day. In my bedroom I have a shelf that I have a lot of hba things stockpiled, that seems to be what I can get on sale and with coupons for very little. I got enough soap to last AT least 18 months. I think I will take some pictures and try to get them up. Also yesterday I canned some stuff, first time I ever did this. I did 6 bottles of beets, 2 bottles of apple, and 1 bottle of crab apple. Besides that I have a bottle of beet that my mom gave me and a bottle of bakeapples, they are in my stockpile. In my basement I have an old change table that I decided to use to put things on, I have some dishwasher stuff, some dish liquid and some laundry detergent. I also have two packages of pull ups for ds and 1 pack of diapers for the baby.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Great Job...

Congrats on your decision to stockpile. I suppose I've been doing so for a long time - always a worrier I guess. I'm always the lady in the grocery store checking for the latest expiration cans, bottles etc.. LOL

I was able to add 15lbs of flour to my stash this weekend thanks to a great sale and I picked up some free halloween lightsticks (I'll put them in my electricity-free lighting bin) & candy corn...hey ya never know what you'll crave LOL.

I too worry about mice since our 4 kitties like to show mommy their newest "toy" yuck...so I freeze all the flour (to kill any pests or eggs) and then put them in a covered 5 gal bucket. I try to only keep canned/jarred food items in the basement and boxed goods in the kitchen cabinets.

One quick comment on setting up your shelving - really think it through in advance because I can assure you -- moving it is a huge effort LOL.

Personally I don't know how long we could sustain ourselves on what we have - we're very well covered in the hba departments as well as cleaning supplies but I'm always concerned if I we have enough food. It's only myself and my dh & I also keep my mom's home stocked up as well. (I keep her stuff at her house LOL). Every week I add something to the stockpile...

A while back I had posted pics of my stockpile under the Inspiration page if you'd like to get an idea of my general storage. Good luck on setting up your place.... I look forward to following it and borrowing ideas and am happy to add my 2 cents to help answer any questions if I can

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

great thread! Makes me want to add to my stockpile. mostly the staple stuff, sugar, flour, baking needs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay I didn't buy the other shelves.

I went to vote instead!

But in the words of Scarlett O'Hara "I will just worry about that tomorrow because after all tomorrow is another day!"

I want to try for shelves tomorrow....Life keeps interfering with what I am trying to do lol!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a little stockpile but I want to add to it due to possible storm clouds approaching with dh's job. Questions about storing it all...

Okay, so do you keep what you use currently in canisters?

Keep any extra in those food storage containers? And then when your canisters run low, fill them up from the food storage containers?

In the food storage containers, do you open the smaller packages and pour the contents in the container? I guess since this is specifically for food storage, it is okay?

Now...I keep my flour and sugar in the freezer. Flour is fine but my sugar hardens when I take it out. It breaks up fine and easily but is there a way that I can keep this from happening? Is sugar okay to leave out of the freezer for long periods of time in its original paper bag? (thought needed to keep in freezer to keep bug free). TIA.

Shandra

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I myself am using shelves and original packages but my stuff is not in dark or moist or bug/mouse areas.

One of my bedrooms is now my sewing room and I am setting up shelves along 3 of the walls and incorporating food and crafts lol.

My shelves are strong and HUGE and interlocking.

Now..today I went to Walmart and still no shelves so I asked the guy who had his little order machine when they would be in and he looked and said they go on the truck tonight so I will buy shelves this weekend at the latest.

Whew. I really want to set this monster year stockpile up right the FIRST time before I get a ton of food and I also am sitting on getting my sewing organized as I will use one shelf for that and get rid of a shelfing system that isn't working for me at all.

Hurry up an wait it seems.

BUT on the up side I have $1 off Toothpaste so I did add another tube of tooth paste to my stockpile.

I also got reeses pieces because I found a new cookie recipe that sounds wonderful......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wannabedebtfree View Post
    I have a little stockpile but I want to add to it due to possible storm clouds approaching with dh's job. Questions about storing it all...

Okay, so do you keep what you use currently in canisters?

Keep any extra in those food storage containers? Right now, I have 7 clear snap lid canisters.
    I have:
    1-popcorn
    1-red beans
    1-black beans
    1-jasmine rice
    1-brown rice
    1-oatmeal
    1-pancake mix

I want to get at least two more, 1 to hold pinto beans & 1 for extra to hold whatever.
    I have two Tupperware HUGE canisters, 1 that holds my sugar (it holds more than a 5 lb. bag) and 1 that holds my flour, same size as the sugar.

And then when your canisters run low, fill them up from the food storage containers?My plan is to use my 5 gallon buckets to hold the bags of items I purchase. I figure one 5 gallon bucket should hold about 4-5 lb. bags of whatever.
    I figure for bags of pasta or such, it should hold a whole lot.

In the food storage containers, do you open the smaller packages and pour the contents in the container? Yes. This is exactly what I do with the ones that I keep in the kitchen for everyday use.
    I guess since this is specifically for food storage, it is okay?

Now...I keep my flour and sugar in the freezer. Flour is fine but my sugar hardens when I take it out. It breaks up fine and easily but is there a way that I can keep this from happening? Is sugar okay to leave out of the freezer for long periods of time in its original paper bag? (thought needed to keep in freezer to keep bug free). TIA.
    Right now what I do is when I buy a bag of flour, I bring it home and put it into the freezer for about a week. Then I take it out and place it on my wire shelving unit that I keep downstairs in the rec. room.
    Right now I have ALL of my stockpile, 'cept HBA, stored together.
    I want to buy at least two more shelving units, the one I have now I'll use just for my cleaning related things.
    Then I'd like to have one for staples and then one for canned and boxed items.

I do *not* store sugar in the freezer. You can, but if you wanted to do this I would definately buy the bags that come in a plastic like bag instead of the paper.
    The 25 lb. bag of sugar we buy at Sam's comes in a plastic like bag with a handle on the top. The only thing with us, is that once we opened it, we have no way of sealing it back, other than just to turn down the corner and clip it with a clothes pin. So once we start buying enough for several months, I think we'll have to come up with a different system for it.

Shandra

Hope this helped you some.
    Last edited by cheles2kids; 10-22-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketlegs View Post
    I may go to the walmart across town for my shelves since mine is out of them at this time.

I need to balance my account and look at money first.

I am itching to get all my shelves up and my room organized.

Anyone add any stockpiling..I added 2 gallon cans of tomatoes to make hot sauce.
    Do you happen to have a link to the particular shelves you bought?
    Are they plastic? I found a really nice commercial type one at Sam's, for $94.00and it's HUGE, so I'm thinking of letting that be part of my stockpile "budget" for next month.

I went shopping at Kroger this past weekend and stocked up on canned tomatoes, along with about 16 bags of frozen veggies, although I was completely out of those, so about 6 of those bags will be used.

I'm planning a trip to Sam's sometime in the next couple of weeks and I plan on adding to my mine then. I can't beat their prices on kitty litter, HUGE bags of baking soda, rice & sugar. So I'm hoping to get some of those items to add then.

On another note, Cricketlegs. How did you go about generating your stockpiling list?
    I know everyone does them differently and right now I'm in the planning phases of my list.
    I'm trying hard to only list items that we use regularly on a daily/weekly basis first and then I'll add other items that we use sparingly:
    olives, pickles, condiments, etc. later on.

I would love to "pick your brain" about what system you used, when you were planning your list.

TIA!
    Last edited by cheles2kids; 10-22-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry 'bout that, I deleted this post, 'cause for some reason it posted twice.
    Last edited by cheles2kids; 10-22-2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Duplicat post

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cheles2kids View Post
    Are they plastic? I found a really nice commercial type one at Sam's, for $94.00and it's HUGE, so I'm thinking of letting that be part of my stockpile "budget" for next month.

I went shopping at Kroger this past weekend and stocked up on canned tomatoes, along with about 16 bags of frozen veggies, although I was completely out of those, so about 6 of those bags will be used.

I'm planning a trip to Sam's sometime in the next couple of weeks and I plan on adding to my mine then. I can't beat their prices on kitty litter, HUGE bags of baking soda, rice & sugar. So I'm hoping to get some of those items to add then.

On another note, Cricketlegs. How did you go about generating your stockpiling list?
    I know everyone does them differently and right now I'm in the planning phases of my list.
    I'm trying hard to only list items that we use regularly on a daily/weekly basis first and then I'll add other items that we use sparingly:

I would love to "pick your brain" about what system you used, when you were planning your list.

TIA!
    You have a good start. I stocked up on some red gold from there this week also. I had coupons that helped, wish I hadn't missed giving them to Dh when they were on sale at Meijers it was a better price.

I am not Cricketlegs...lol but here is one of the posts of how I do it . I stock mostly a whole foods pantry and my list is on here in one of the posts.

I think the most important thing to do is go over your budget , menus and start a game plan. As a few have said take an inventory of not only what you have but what you need to make your plan work for menus etc. Start collecting coupons , watch sales flyers, make a price book. I cook from scratch and still use coupons over the past year I have gotten toothpaste, soap, cereal , pasta , toothbrushes, cat food and tons of others free so even if it is things I don't use I donate. Though most everything I take the time to get I use.

So get a budget and game plan
    Inventory everything you have and what you might need
    Start collecting coupons for things you would use ( then watch the sales flyers, start a price book)
    If you cook from scratch buy in bulk your staples it will save you tons ( but they must be packaged properly once you get home to not only keep them fresh but bug free ) You will need totes and food grade buckets, glass containers etc
    Designate an area for shelving that you are going to put your bounty...lol believe me adds up fast.
    Can your own convenience foods and mixes not only cheaper, but you avoid Msg and preservatives etc.
    Start an excel program or notebook to detail what you have and have a plan. Eat what you store and store what you eat...lol so plan out your menus for what you mainly eat as a family so you would know how much you need per the time you are stocking for. For example I know how many jugs of olive oil I go through in a year, how many cans of tomato products to make my soups, sauces , pizza sauce etc . How many jars of homemade jam and sauce my family goes through. I stock from the left and take from the right for my storage so even my family knows if they are stocking the pantry put the new box on the left take from the right to rotate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cheles2kids View Post

TIA!

I copied this from where I posted it in another thread. I hope it helps and makes sense. Ask me any questions you want!

The shelves are PLANO 5 shelf shelves and come in a box right in the hardware section of walmart. They COST $28.97 each and I love them. I plan on getting 4 more possibly 5. I will just line my walls. Most will hold food, HBA's and cleaners and some(probably one) will hold sewing/crafting stuff.

1. Gave myself a time~~12 months is the amount of food I want to put away.
    2. Wrote down every food I could think that I wanted to buy in a nice notebook. I am not adding anything that has to be in a fridge when not in use ie mayonaise can sit on a shelf until opened.
    3. Figured how many I needed to have for the year
    4.Took that list and went to the store and wrote down the prices of the things I needed
    5. Took the amount I needed and multiplied the cost of the item.
    6. Bought(I got 2 and want 4 more maybe 5) really big sturdy Plano 5 shelf shelving units from Walmart for $28.97 each. They come together in 5 minutes and are over 6 feet tall.
    7. Spent my first money put aside for stockpiling and arranged them in groups by type of item.

Next~~

My grocery budget is $300 but I have been getting by on $150 as I needed to use food in the deep freeze.

Grocery $300
    Pets $100
    HBA stockpile $30

So I pretty much am done with HBA except razors and more TP and some toothpaste so once done with that the $20 will snowball into pets to stockpile pet supplies and the $10 left will go to replenish HBAs as used.

Pets will have $120

Since I have been getting by on $150 on groceries but am about out of meat I will roll $50 into the $150 for $200 for my grocery shopping.

Then my monthly food stockpile will be $100 a month. From there I will shop sales, use coupons and other deals.

Probably since when I shop with my usuall $150 I have been buying flour sugar cornmeal etc my stockpile with increase pretty quickly along with the amounts I have set aside for just stocking. I try to avoid processed foods. I buy the stuff to make my own hamburger helper--not hamburger helper.

Hope this helps!

Post if you have any questions!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just a side not chele but I noticed on your stockpile list you have pancake mix.

Unless you have a dietary issue then why not use your staples..flour, sugar,baking powder,soda, and make your own mix?

Or make a biscuit, muffin, dumpling, pancake waffle master mix for a glass canister to keep in the kitchen made from your staples?

It is all in there lurking~ you don't need pancake mix or biscuick or packaged muffin mixes.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast