Stockpile Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketlegs View Post
    Just a side not chele but I noticed on your stockpile list you have pancake mix.

Unless you have a dietary issue then why not use your staples..flour, sugar,baking powder,soda, and make your own mix?

Or make a biscuit, muffin, dumpling, pancake waffle master mix for a glass canister to keep in the kitchen made from your staples?

It is all in there lurking~ you don't need pancake mix or biscuick or packaged muffin mixes.

Normally I would agree, but I can get 10 lbs. of pancake mix (not bisquick) for around $5.00 at Sam's, it's just an add water to it kind of mix, so I figured I couldn't buy 10 lbs. of flour for that, not including everything else that I would need to add to it.
    If you happen to shop at Sam's and need a good pancake mix, the Krusteaz is really good.

But yeah, I'm all about scratch cooking and trying to use basic ingredients to make a recipe.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I caught dh standing in my sewingroom looking at my stockpile. I asked him if he was looking for a snack. He said no. he looked funny.

I think he may be thinking it is a waste of money and doesn't understand what it is I am trying to do.

But I guess that is understandable as the man really has no role in our budget and how things play out. I do it all and just give him an accounting.

I kind of tried to talk to him but I may do some reading up, arm myself with info so to speak, about WHY stockpiles work.

My dh is the production Manager at the local Chevy dealership. He moved up from Parts manager and it came with free insurance and a nice heafty raise and an additional commission check but I ask....when it all goes south(if it does but GM is hurting) does a production manager sound like a job that MUST be kept? It is a new position at our dealership...I worry.

FOOD, Clothing, shelter, a car to get to work and the EF.

That is what you need to SURVIVE a job loss or an injury or heaven forbid a depression.

I am DOING this..PERIOD!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you are doing a great good keep up the good work.love reading your post

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cricketlegs, I've realized that Mike & I look at and think about money differently.
    The reason I bring this up, is I think about stockpiling where Mike could care less.

We're more like Mama birds, we want our "nests" taken care of and that includes having our bills paid, with an EF, along with a stockpile of groceries and a dependable car to get from point A to point B.
    We like to know that "now" is taken care of, as well as "later".

With men I think they are more "in the moment" when it comes to things like this.
    If the bills are paid and they have some extra cash in their pocket, then they don't think about later.
    I'm not speaking about all men, but I've noticed this is a trend for most.

Women in general think about the now and the later, and also the "what-ifs".
    I also think if some time during your life that you've worried about having enough money in the budget for groceries, this really has an affect on how you view these things.
    And knowing how important having a back-up system in place for those storm clouds on the horizon.

So, let him cruise around your stockpile room, let him scratch his head and wonder what the heck your doing and then when he starts asking questions, then you can fill him in.

Can you tell that I've had this same discussion with Mike?
    Last edited by cheles2kids; 10-23-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well we went to lunch( and I got my car inspected while I was dropping him back off at the dealership so 2 birds with one stone lalala) and I did speak to him about it just for a minute.

I told him why we stockpile. I told him about how I have only been shopping with $150 of my $300 grocery budget and how there is no NEW monies alloted the stocking I am STILL USING that same $300 I am just shooting $100 to $150 to the stock--the rest says with grocery money.

This isn't costing him a penny but it will save him a dime.

Oh and I stopped off at the other walmart by dhs work and they had ONE shelf...geeze Louise what does a girl have to do to buy a shelf around here lol!

SO I need 3-4 more.

They are in the budget!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My dh LOVES our stockpile. He will often shout "hun, do we have any..." and then stops, walks to the basement and comes up mumbling "this is so freaking awesome..." At first he thought a few of this and that was good, but now he asks where I am in the "year's worth" stockpile of this or that. Thanks for this thread. It really helps to keep me in check.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by missyali View Post
    My dh LOVES our stockpile. He will often shout "hun, do we have any..." and then stops, walks to the basement and comes up mumbling "this is so freaking awesome..." At first he thought a few of this and that was good, but now he asks where I am in the "year's worth" stockpile of this or that. Thanks for this thread. It really helps to keep me in check.
    We are glad to have you join us! The more the merry I say.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am so loving this stockpileing idea. So I added a few things today. Mr Clean wipes (which I got a pack free a while ago and loved) were on sale for 1.99 each. I had 6 coupons for 1 dollar off so I bought 6 and added them to the stockpile. I also bought 3 cans of fruit to add to the stock pile. Not a big start but it adds up. I wish I could take a room and start stocking it like you are cricket legs. Right now my stock pile is all over the place. Cleaners and laundry in the basement, the top shelf of my cuppars holds stocked food, and up sairs in my room there is a shelf with HBA. I would love it if I had a room I could use just for stocking. But doesn't matter where it is I guess as long as we have it and are ready when we need it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nanagail~ What I did was I took a spiral and I wrote down EVERY single staple, canned good, dry good, spice I could think of that I would and do USE.

No funny stuff..this is a STOCKPILE.

I listed it all---3 pages.

Then I went to the store and started my prices and sizes in that spiral.

Next I decided by the size of the item how many I need to get through the year.

For example--we are usually 3 people unless my other 2 dds come in from college. Those big catshups last us 2 months so I do NOT need 12 I need 6. I will probably get 8..one to catch us if we run out and one more because I am a nut!

Then I take the cost of the item 64oz Food Club Catshup @ $2.37 and say $3x8=$24. I always round up. So I know my spending limit for 8 is no more than $24. If I carry my book with me whenever I am out and about I can check my prices and stock when I see a great deal or I can just grab one or two every month when I stockpile shop or regular grocery shop.

As I buy things I put a line on it--you know, four lines and one slanted through it makes five counting. That way I don't buy over my limit.

So far I have 4 nice tall strong shelves in my sewingroom. I am orgainzing by type of food. I am also moving food up and putting new on the back.

I will try and answer every question if you have any. I check this post every week and most weekends depending on what I am doing.

My stockpile budget each month is $100 to $150 for food

$120 for dog, cat, bird, fish food and supplies

$10 for HBAs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kelly, you are off to a good start, just keep adding stuff everytime you get a chance. Always be on the lookout for bargains. Remember there is plenty of priceless real estate in every home. Behind furniture, under the beds or couch, closet shelves, old trunks or toy boxes. There are many places to store stuff. We pay for the entire house - might as well use it all!! I have a friend who has stacked milk crates for storage in a corner of her coat closet. (Open side out for easy access). You don't have to have a basement to stockpile. Get creative with storage.
    Where there's a will - there's a way
    Keep on keepin' frugal
    Last edited by POOTERSMOMMY; 10-23-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay I went to walmart and they had gotten in the shelves so I picked up both..all they had sigh....so I got one yesterday and 2 today.

I am about to go into my sewingroom and set up the two new shelves. I think I will need 2 more and I will be done.

I will know more in a bit.

I put some beans in the crockpot and the house is in good shape so I can really get in there and work before I iron.

I have decided some of my craft stuff has to go...it hurts but there it is...I have too much.

Balance, I am trying to reach balance and my sewingroom is the one place I fail.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What is the point of having a year's worth (or more) of food and supplies? I'm just curious. Do you plan to stop shopping for a whole year or even 6 months and just enjoy the money it frees up or something? Or is this for like, a bomb shelter type deal or some sort of disaster where you can't get supplies? I'm just not clear on the motivation of having a year's worth of everything. All I do is stock up on things when there is a good price so that I don't have to pay more the next week or the next month or whatever. But beyond that, I figure there will always be another good sale sometime soon. If I had extra money, I would just want to put it on my debt so I don't understand this concept. Can someone explain? Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mochashello. I think a lot of people stock for different reasons. For me I never really stocked until joining this site, sure I had a few extras of certain things, sales and what not but I didn't try to stock. Last year in December my Dh was off work for months due to an injury, we suffered financially. We had a really hard time keeping bills paid, mortgage paid, and food on the table. There were a couple of times we had to decide between paying something on a bill or picking up groceries. I do not want this to happen again. So with sales and combining coupons on the sales I am slowly trying to stock up a lot. I am not sure that I will stock a years worth of food, but I deffinately want to stock things that I use that I can get for exceptional prices, so that its there when I need it. I plan to take things out of my stock pile as I need them and use them, if I run out of ketchup for example I will take one from my stock pile, when I buy one later I will add it back to my stock pile. I think for me it is security so that if something should happen to dh again or myself then we are ok food wise and necessity wise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me, the money I am spending on groceries and food stockpile TOTALS only $300. I am not taking money from anywhere else in the budget to do it so my budget hasn't changed at all.

I am shopping wiser, cooking better, and getting more bang for my buck.

I am building up mine because I was spending about $150 at the grocery and not needing to buy anymore and using the left over money in other places so if I use my full amount I can afford to take advantage of great sales when I see them and also just going to the grocery and grabbing my $100 to $150 stockpile items.

You have to remember something about alot of us here. We have been SNOWBALLING a while. Our plans are in place, our EF saved(or being put back if dipped into) we are dealing with our debt in a timely fashion. We know our balances, our interest rates, and our pay off date to heart lol.

We are spending less, saving more, busting our rear making our own laundry soap, cleaners, mixes, and scratch cooking.

We are parking the cars, turning off lights, and setting that thermostat and leaving it be.

We are now getting our food stores set. We are checking the sales, cutting coupons, and armed with our pricebooks we are getting there.

I can tell you 100% if my dh lost his job my boat would be sunk..my baby EF would not cover us.

So, I am looking for ways to save money and one way is to take advantage of food sales and if I have a lean month I know I have food, I won't have to shop for food, I am 3 months ahead on my car payments so that could slide,my bills are current so that is okay that way I just have a little security until I get things paid off.

2009 is MY year!

I owe $2995.71 on my cc
    I owe $5674.88 on my car
    I owe $816 on my vaccuum

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay I got my 2 shelves up and got all my HBAs put on them. I was just going to use one but yowsa how did I get all that stuff in dhs bathroom!

He will be glad to not have to look at my pads etc I can tell you that!

I was thinking one more shelf for my sewing and crafts(a joke I have sooo much and one whole wall of my room is builtin shelves and cabinets...I know I know...but now I know I need 2 more.

One for crafts and one for pet supplies. HBA's took up more than I anticipated.

So I have to get $62 more dollars worth of shelves but I am lovin' my system.

Oh and I added a huge baking power to my stockpile.
    Last edited by Cricketlegs; 10-24-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast