Stockpile Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Me again. I figured I would tell totals. I have (6) 5 shelf shelves with 2 more coming.

I have used every inch of wall space except for one corner big enough to stack 3 stacks of 20lb pet food bags. I stack cat food(8 bags estimated) 60 bags of dogfood.(I have 7 now) Then shelves for bird food(12) 5lb bags), fish 3 little cans betta food cat litter in plastic buckets will store on the patio(12)

the cost of the shelves--$252(this includes the 2 I have yet to buy)

Registered User hippytreehugger4ever's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eh, you'll want to freeze the bird seed unless you want a really bad case of weevils. Trust me on this one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Parakeet bird seed needs to be frozen???

You have my attention, can you give me some information. It is in sealed plastic bags.
    Last edited by Cricketlegs; 10-24-2008 at 08:19 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hippytreehugger4ever View Post
    Eh, you'll want to freeze the bird seed unless you want a really bad case of weevils. Trust me on this one!
    Yes you must freeze it. You can put the bags then put into storage containers or whatever. Hippytreehugger is right or you will have weevils trust me been there done that also...lol
    Last edited by HappyMama; 10-24-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got an old shelf cleared, went through some papers and shredded the "your eyes only" stuff while watching tv so I can get the old shelf out(giving to BIL for his storage room) for when I buy my last 2 shelves.

I also went through some books, gave some to my sisters and neices and some will go back for book credit. Books take up to much room to leave them laying around. Dust catchers. I kept all my Patrick Dennis, Harry Potter, and Anne of green gables. The rest hit the bricks..oh and my Odd Thomas series..gotta love some Odd!

Dh came in from working late(he did inventory at another dealership for $60 for his Nascar trip next month) and saw the 2 new shelves with the HBA's on them and stood there a second and went on into our bedroom.

I am glad to see he is taking an interest even if he doesn't exactly understand WHAT I am trying to accomplish.

I have never let him down before money wise so he is taking me at face value. LOL!

One I get those last 2 shelves I can really be offically on my way.

I am very happy with my progress and how quickly it is all coming together. I am spending money to save money and I know over $200 for shelves seems excessive when I have debt BUT the thing to remember here is I live in a ranch type starter home of about 1300 sq feet. No upstairs, no basement. I only have my extra bedroom which is my sewingroom and I USE that room alot so not only do I have to deal with sheer VOLUME of food being added and needing a good safe orgainzed place, I also have to keep it at its first designation which is my sewing/scrapping/beading/painting room.

I don't want it to be the FOOD ROOM.

Did I mention the cats live there too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have seen your post but did not read it until last night. Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to me. I can't wait to get started on my own stockpile!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I went into the room to see what my next project will be and I think I will dismantle the old shelf and get it out and go through one hamper of sorts that stuff has just been tossed into I didn't want to deal with.

Fleece and flannel dog coats I made for the pup in winter--ratties get very cold.

yarns

who knows what else!! LOL

The hamper takes up quite a bit of space so it needs to go.

If I just do a little everyday eventually it will be done right and no more fabric, paper, beads, or paint until I use this mountain I have. I have 5 huge rolling totes of scraps, crazy patch velvets and satins and other types of crazy patch fabrics,laces, ribbons, embellishments, paints, and batting.

HUGE TOTES--I need more quilting like I need a hole in the head and don't get me started on my fabric stash....

One day I will try and take pictures of my shelves with my food, HBAs and pet supplies and post them if I can ever figure it out!

We are going to the art museum today to see haunted art.
    Last edited by Cricketlegs; 10-25-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Someone had asked why stockpile? For me it is like an insurance policy. You don't plan on needing it but you are happy it is there if you need to use it. I have alway had a stockpile as I live in the country and you couldn't just run to town to the store all the time. But I found out that you could really save money when buying things on sale and getting plenty so you never paid retail. SO that is what I do and not only do I have a large stockpile I can go weeks at a time and never need to buy any groceries. Now I try to only buy what is free or nearly free.

Registered User hippytreehugger4ever's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketlegs View Post
    Parakeet bird seed needs to be frozen???

You have my attention, can you give me some information. It is in sealed plastic bags.
    When I got married instead of using rice, we used bird seed. The leftover bird seed sachets got shoved upstairs in my sewing room until I found it 2 years later, and the entire floor around that basket was COVERED with the outer shells from weevils. It was freaking nasty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hippytreehugger4ever View Post
    When I got married instead of using rice, we used bird seed. The leftover bird seed sachets got shoved upstairs in my sewing room until I found it 2 years later, and the entire floor around that basket was COVERED with the outer shells from weevils. It was freaking nasty.
    I am sure it was just the weevils' way of celebrating your union.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

okay, I ran into walmart after being at my sisters for coffee and walmart is on the way home to look for the last 2 shelves.

Goose egg.

I have to wait for more to get ordered and shipped and stocked....so I am waiting to finish.

I will start going through a few other things but as is my sewing table is packed to the hilt waiting on the last 2 shelves.....

I crinkle in my system OH NOOOOOO! LOL!

I guess I will just have to deal with it but I am NOT happy!

I have remembered a few items I need to add to my stockpile list like velveeta cheese( I know it is processed but I need it for Mac n cheese!) and maybe a few cans of refried beans when I need some in a hurry.

Now I must go eat and then iron...

Happy Stocking girls!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cricketlegs, I had meant to mention this the other day.
    You could always have them ship the shelves to your store? You might actually get them quicker that way.

Most Wal-marts now have the ship to store option and it's usually free shipping this way as well.

Hopefully you get them soon! I hate to feel like I'm stalled in the middle of a project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have used ship to store once before when I ordered stuff for my dds dorm room.

I just figure they are coming in and I only need 2 more so I will just call them every day lol!

I won't go stockpile shopping($150 food, $130 pets,$30 HBAs) until the 15th of November if I stick to the plan BUT I will grocery shop ($150) on the 1st so food will go on my shelves but I have the shelves I need already.

I pretty much want one more shelf for pets so I can use 2 shelves I have for HBA's and not have to share and then 1 more for crafts going in its own corner.

I will have: 8~5 shelf shelves when done.

4 food shelves(have)
    1 pet shelf (need)
    2 HBA's shelves(have) currently using 2 of the shelves on one shelf for pets
    1 craft shelf(need) stuff is piled on my sewing table waiting!

The 4 food shelves are all together(they are interlocking) on one wall. Then I have a small space of stacking dog food. Then there will be one shelf for pets on the same wall.

On the next wall I will have a stack of cat food and 2 shelves for HBAs.

Then on the 3rd wall(2 doors and one wicker shelf holds books, my stereo and some scrapbooking paper, punches etc) I will have one craft shelf.

My last wall has a window in center and book cases ceiling to almost floor on each side with 2 cabinets on each side on the bottom, a windowbox seat with hinged lid(I store house paint there) and cabinets across the ceiling--I have no idea what is up there lol.

I keep an antique diningroom table in the center of the room with my cutting mat, rulers, sewing machine and misc quilting items.

My floor is painted concrete.

I am using all available wall space to bring my stockpile in without it interrupting my sewing, beading, painting, and scrapping.

The shelves are perfect. 31 inches long,14.25 wide, and 74 inches tall. So without them protruding too far into the room taking up space I am taking advantage of walls and going up over 6 feet with lots of great storage on top for big items like my roll of packing bubbles from Sams, Toilet paper in bulks, and possibly even my rolls of batting.

I have 5 huge rolling tubs 2 are full of cotton scrap fabric, 1 is satins, velvets etc for crazy patch., 1 is full of batting rolls,1 is full of paint for when I painted hand painted shabby chic on ebay.

I want to eliminate most of the paint and put into a smaller file box and move it somewhere.

I also have 2 pullout drawer type tubs in a single holder for laces ribbons and other embellishments that is full and needs a place. Maybe the closet???It is currently living in the hall since I started all this stockpile business.

yarns, patterns, dog coat stuff etc are on a long shelf on the wall above the food shelves. They are in file boxes.

I have toooo much stuff but I love it!

Just think, in the future when I am sewing etc if I get hungry I can reach behind me and have a little snack without getting out of my chair!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is my problem. I have too many hobbies, so I have stuff for each hobby. I recently took up lampwork beading, so now I have a glass blower and all the rods and such, and nowhere to set it up where I can use it without burning the house down!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started stockpiling several years ago and only keep 6 months ahead. Mine is mainly for the winter months, but I'm constantly shopping year round for good deals, shampoo, razors, laundry detergent, etc. The other reason is dh and son are the only ones who have cars. If dh or son are off work then I do all my planning for that day. Dh didn't understand at first but now sees where it saves us money at the end of the year.
    I think what your doing Cricketlegs is a very good idea and wish you luck on completing your stockpiling.

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast