Stockpile Challenge
Page 1 of 48 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up Stockpile Challenge

Okay, I want to put away a years worth of stockpile. This is my accountability thread.

Wish me luck and here I go.

I am starting in November but I had a little extra cash so I mini started today.

My monthly goals are:

$150 in food stockpile
    $30 in pet items
    $10 in laundry/cleaners
    $10 HBA's

Some of these categories I have already started and am just about finished with.

Tomorrow I will add up my estimated costs.

so without futher ado....

10/16/2008

I added 3 bags of dog food--3 down 57 more to go.
    estimated cost $10 for holistic dry food x 60= $600.
    We need 5 bags a month for 3 dogs, lab, bigger terrier, rat terrier.

More tomorrow

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck. If I had a regular house with a nice big pantry in the basement I'd join you. Oh well I do ok with what room I have.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make sure you find dry storage for your dog food, I found out the hard way that it can spoil and get buggy. I now store it in the bags, inside lidded trash cans.

Wanted to add, you've got a great plan! You go girl!
    Last edited by Persimmon Lace; 10-16-2008 at 08:20 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck cricketlegs!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Persimmon Lace View Post
    Make sure you find dry storage for your dog food, I found out the hard way that it can spoil and get buggy. I now store it in the bags, inside lidded trash cans.

Wanted to add, you've got a great plan! You go girl!
    I have it right here in my sewingroom so I can keep a weathered eye on it lol but the trash cans are a good idea. I can date my cans for ease of knowing when to use them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay laundry...

Right now I have 7 unopened boxes of arm and hammer washing soap. I use 1/2 cup per 2 gallons so a box should last at the minimum 6 months! I am still using my first box and I make soap for Mom and my college dd!

I will add 5 more boxes for a nice round number but I can only get it at Krogers so when I am out that way I always pick up a few. They also have the fel naphta soap.

okay Borax--I only have 2 boxes at this time so I will add 4 more because they are larger and I only use 1/2 cup per 2 gallons. I do use borax around the house so this number may change.

Fels naptha soap--don't laugh it was marked down from $1.15 a bar to .75 and discontinued(I have since found it at krogers lol for $1.15)

How many does she have......48 bars. I think I am okay seeing as one bar makes 6 gallons.....

liquid starch--I am completely out! I need 2 per month so I need 24 bottles.

I have laundry cental misson control lol over my washer and dryer cabinets with shelves so I can store all laundry here and not with food in stockpile in sewing room.

Vinegar--I need 12 gallons. Right now I have 1/4 of a gallon. I use it for everything cleaning, windows,fighting bacteria, but not for cooking. For cooking I use Mrs Braggs organic with the mother currently on sale for $2.99.....I want 4. I have one but it is opened. It is full but opened. I used it to kill a fever blister.

So I need borax 4,arm and hammer washing soap 5, vinegar12, mrs braggs vinegar 4, starch 24 and NO FELS NAPTHA!

lol!

Registered User hippytreehugger4ever's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm working at the same thing! Today I added 48 pounds of sugar, and am aiming for 80-100 ibs---probably a 2-3 year supply. But hey, with the sale and store coupon it's .48 a bag! Today I also got 2 powdered sugars, 8 brown sugars, 7 bags baking chips, more trash bags, etc. I already have about 27 bottles of laundry soap, so I'm set.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cricketlegs, this is a great idea!
    I was thinking about starting something similar for next year, so I'll be watching & following along with yours to see how it goes.

Just an FYI on the Fels Naptha soap.
    I've read online that it's also good to bath in, if you ever get into poisen ivy/oak.
    There are numerous other uses for it, and for .75 cents a bar?
    I'd be buying as many as possible too!

I found a really great buy on laundry soap at our local Discounted grocer back in February, so at this point, we probably have enough to last us for at least another 2 years.
    But for your recipe on your laundry soap, it is the clumpy, goopy type? Or is yours easier to scoop out and use? If so, I would love your recipe, to use later on.
    Also along the lines of laundry.
    I use a 1/2 lidfull of baking soda in my wash and it really helps to cut down on any smells: teenage boy sweaty smells, it also helps to freshen up my kitchen towels when they start getting that stinky smell to them, and I've also noticed an increase in how white my whites look.
    I just started doing this a couple weeks ago and thought it might something that could be beneficial to someone else?

Oh & on the dog food. I'm not sure of your freezer space, but dog food can be frozen for extended periods of time, it keeps it fresher.
    But it sounds like your in a similar situation as myself, we actually purchase *large* 40 lb. bags of dog food, and we normally go through 1 1/2 of these per month.
    So freezing the larger bags might not be an option, but for those who use the smaller bags, and the freezer space, it might be a storage option?
    But the garbage can idea is great too!

Thanks for sharing your plan! I'll be looking for your next installment!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hippytreehugger4ever View Post
    I'm working at the same thing! Today I added 48 pounds of sugar, and am aiming for 80-100 ibs---probably a 2-3 year supply. But hey, with the sale and store coupon it's .48 a bag! Today I also got 2 powdered sugars, 8 brown sugars, 7 bags baking chips, more trash bags, etc. I already have about 27 bottles of laundry soap, so I'm set.
    WOW! That is great. You are plugging on full steam. I was wondering, do you have expiration date problems with doing more than a year??

You must have GREAT storage space!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cheles2kids View Post
    Cricketlegs, this is a great idea!
    I was thinking about starting something similar for next year, so I'll be watching & following along with yours to see how it goes.

Just an FYI on the Fels Naptha soap.
    I've read online that it's also good to bath in, if you ever get into poisen ivy/oak.
    There are numerous other uses for it, and for .75 cents a bar?
    I'd be buying as many as possible too!

I found a really great buy on laundry soap at our local Discounted grocer back in February, so at this point, we probably have enough to last us for at least another 2 years.
    But for your recipe on your laundry soap, it is the clumpy, goopy type? Or is yours easier to scoop out and use? If so, I would love your recipe, to use later on.
    Also along the lines of laundry.
    I use a 1/2 lidfull of baking soda in my wash and it really helps to cut down on any smells: teenage boy sweaty smells, it also helps to freshen up my kitchen towels when they start getting that stinky smell to them, and I've also noticed an increase in how white my whites look.
    I just started doing this a couple weeks ago and thought it might something that could be beneficial to someone else?

Oh & on the dog food. I'm not sure of your freezer space, but dog food can be frozen for extended periods of time, it keeps it fresher.
    But it sounds like your in a similar situation as myself, we actually purchase *large* 40 lb. bags of dog food, and we normally go through 1 1/2 of these per month.
    So freezing the larger bags might not be an option, but for those who use the smaller bags, and the freezer space, it might be a storage option?
    But the garbage can idea is great too!

Thanks for sharing your plan! I'll be looking for your next installment!
    Ahem...yes I bought all the Fels naphta soap and I did give my Mom a bar(I make her soap and as one person it lasts her FOREVER lol) I did give Mom a bar and told her about the poison ivy/oak benefits and also that she could use it as a laundry stain precleaner.

When are you planning on starting your stockpile?

As for my laundry recipe is it what they call the EGG DROP soup consistancy. Sometimes I add just a tad of water to my soap soup when it is in my front loader dispenser to make it go through a little better.

I have been just slicing mine with a sharp knif but I saved my old processor so I may grind it up and see if that helps but I am 100% happy with it as is.

If you still want my recipe let me know and I will post it for you.

I have a little misc. cash so I am stopping at the sore to pick up a few things..I have a losse plan...I will post what I get.

Oh and as a side note I had coupons for pads and tampons so I added

1. pad
    2. one panti-liner
    3. 2 boxes of tampons

I saved $2.75.

I will post a HBA update but on the "woman" situation I am lokking pretty good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just started doing this also since we have a house now w/a big pantry and a full size basement..this is what I have for a years supply of now..

Hundreds of different size batteries *expires after 2012*
    4- 150oz bottles of Tide *only use 2Tb each load*
    80 plus bottles of Pert Plus 2 in 1 shampoo & conditioner
    20 plus bottles of Dawn dish soap *I make my own Dawn Direct Foam*
    40 cans of canned Corn *have rain check for up to 100*
    40 cans of canned Spinach *have raincheck for up to a 100*
    10 cans of canned Green Beans *have raincheck for up to a 100*
    40 plus boxes of different size pastas
    Cold medicine of all different types *free after rebate..thank you Riteaid*

I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of that is fresh in my memory..
    Since having storage space is all new to me I need to figure out a way to keep everything organized and accounted for..We will not be living in the house for several weeks until all the remodeling is finished so I can't go overboard till I have a designated spot for my storage area in the basement...I will however buy a couple of cans with tight fitting lids to put 50lbs of sugar in.I also want to buy 50lbs or more of Flour.. there is a refridgerator at the house that we keep plugged in and the freezer is empty so I figured I could fit a big sack of flour in there..that's perfect from keeping the fridge from running when there's nothing in the freezer part as well as I could stockpile my flour that way..I don't have the room in my fridge/freezer or storage here at the trailer..

Does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of containers you store your flour/sugar/brown sugar that you bought in bulk? I want to be able to not have to leave my home in the winter (other than work of coarse) and have enough of all my baking supply's on hand to do so..TIA...

BTW Cricketlegs what a great post I'm look forward to reading your updates!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love the idea of making this a challenge! It's certainly a challenge for me; no coupons, only one grocery store, not great sales...but I'm trying. I read this thread yesterday and decided to clean out my pantry and organize, so I know what I'm starting out with!

Thanks for the idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

great idea for a thread!

I'm working on mine right now too.

HBA is fine-I probably have at least a year there.
    I need to up the cat food and some clothes soap though.

As far as food goes, I'm taking advantage of all the canned soup on sale right now. Fall is my big stock up time because of the holiday sales.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is something that we have talked about doing here. I have been working on decluttering a couple of cabinets so that we have a place to start storing items. It can be overwelming to start though. So I have decided to just set aside $15 a week out of my regular grocery budget to put toward stockpiling. We are going this evening to look at a small freezer and freestanding pantry..both items we had talked about purchasing before the stockpiling talk started. I look forward to watching this thread to get ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay ya'll, I went to the store. I looked liked warmed over doggy drool. No one got in my way lol!

I spent $115.

Everything I got needs no refridgeration and is the beginning of my stockpile. None will go in the pantry.

I have to leave in a minute to go get my dd from a school event(she is on yearbook staff) so I will post what I got.

I didn't stock up on a bunch of any one item and what I was really wanting to accomplish was getting my stockpile binder with sizes, prices, and brands up to date so I can make good decisions on how many I really need.

If I am buying huge catshups and we only use one regular size a month then I don't need to waste on 12. I would probably do 8. And now I know that the Food club brand which I have used before is $1 cheaper for the same size than national brand. so I will save $8 there just knwoing my brand and saving another $12 by not buying 12 so a savings of $20 in catshup.

So just catshup wise I had a very productive day.

Another incentive I have is I get %5 off groceries if I get $35 of gas and I get %5 off any Food Club brand item after I buy 5.

Today I save $4.70 just by choosing Fodd Club brand--which are cheaper and good anyway so no telling how much I really saved over national brands.

So, when dd gets here she will hog the computer but I will come back and post my amounts of items etc.

A question-- stockpilers do you tend to just buy whatever or do you load up on one item and move on? I worry about a, the bottom falling out at home and running out of time, b, expiration dates of buying all at the same time, c,running out of space and not having a well rounded stockpile.

Another--would you sacrifice a somewhat better price(say 10 cents a pound etc) to save room in your stockpile. Would you buy more smaller or more larger to get the most of your space?

Page 1 of 48 123411 ... LastLast