2009 Grocery Budget Reduction Challenge - Page 12
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok i am in on this one too!
    Last edited by 3kidsomy; 02-02-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just came home from my bi-monthly shopping trip spent $199! I did get lots of extras for my pantry. Idid some of my shoping Friday and finished up today for a grand total of $299!
    Last edited by MommyTrap; 02-02-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First grocery spend of the month: $87.72. Did pretty well, except I DID cave in and buy some pre-prepared sushi. I had a weak moment.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mad Hen, I love that sushi too! We all deserve a treat sometimes.

My grocery/household budget is $600 for this month. I divide it up to $300 for ea. 1/2 of the month.

So far I have spent $220. Some of that on the stockpile. I have $80 left until Feb. 15. I should only need milk & eggs until then.

My hubby put a big dent in my budget by buying steaks for the superbowl. He said at least it was cheaper than goin out. It was a very good treat (he bbq'd them outside). I thought about putting that expenditure in another catagory (like entertainment or in place of eating out) but I didn't.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just realized, last night, that they over-charged me for the bananas. They were supposed to be .39/lb, and they charged me $1.79/lb!! So I'll be stopping at the store on my way to work today, then hopefully adding that credit back onto my available funds!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, $1.79/pd for bananas! That is outrageous, even if they are organic. Here's hoping you get your money back!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so *&@##!!!! mad!!!! DH called me from work at lunch to see if I needed him to bring me something from the store.(We are stuck at home bcs of snow). I said peanut butter and NOTHING ELSE. I said we have snacks and pop and all kinds of food for the kids so DO NOT bring pop or snacks.

WELLLLLLL. He came home w/3 2ltr. bottles of pop and two bags of chips and 2 jars of peanut butter. $11.

He thinks I am going overboard w/trying to stick to a budget. How can I do this if I don't have his cooperation? I told him, Now I have to give you $11 from my grocery money (in envelope) or put it in the bank. Otherwise it would be cheating on the budget.

I feel like I need to create a budget category for his impulse spending.....

* I know he thought he was trying to do a good deed ****

I have been working so hard to get all of this together. One of the reasons I started all of this is because it broke my heart to see the look on his face whenever he updated the checkbook and saw all of the grocery/household spending. I thought if I could get the spending under control and he could see that I was trying that it would make a difference to him.

This is the second time he has busted my budget and it is only the third of the month.
    I don't know what to do. I really thought he was with me on this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am soo sorry newleaf. My hubby will do that once in a while as well or will add things to the cart that aren't on the list and I blow up at him all the time. Hang in there....remember men are not like women. Nuff said...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I guess my first question would be, are chips and soda a staple in your house? Would those have been purchased this month at some time and taken out of the budget? If so, then he just did a little inadvertant stockpiling. If not, then I would probably try to do one of two things: first, I would offer to give hubby a weekly allowance, to spend however he wants, but with the strict rule that he not spend MORE than that every week in luxuries; second, if that doesn't work (he keeps taking money out to buy more stuff) or isn't feasible (you don't have the extra money to spare), I'd keep track of all his little luxuries, and then show him at the end of the month just how it all adds up. Sometimes, it takes being hit over the head with the entire amount to "get it." $11 might not seem like that much to him, but $40-50 by the end of the month might get his attention.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH loves to be the "snack man". He loves to bring us all a snack or treat home. It is his way of being good to us. I guess I will just keep track of the treats that he buys this month and then show him.

It's just that #1 I TOLD him not to bring that stuff and why.
    and #2 I have been working my butt off to make healthy homemade snacks every day or two. #3 I really do not want to give him my precious $11 because I need it to stay on budget.
    Part of my grocery budget problem is coming from stockpiling. I have not done much yet but I am sure it will eventually HELP the grocery spending.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, then it is time to pull out the "guilt" card. "Oh, honey, when you bring home store-bought snacks, I feel like you are saying my homemade snacks aren't good enough. Do you hate my snacks?"

Or just figure out what your snack budget is, and don't buy them as part of your regular spending. Let him buy them.
    Last edited by madhen; 02-03-2009 at 02:46 PM.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh madhen!!!!! That is tooooo funny!!!! I could just picture you saying it too..... you crack me up girl!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those are great ideas madhen!!!!! I will let you know what happens.....you guys know how to lighten a mood!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My teenage son found my pop stash!!!! I told him I was rationing(lol).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Took the 7 lbs of bananas to the store on my way out of town. They gave me a FULL refund!! So I just added $7.62 back into my grocery budget! Woo hoo!! When I get home, I'm going to savor each of those free bananas.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast