2009 Grocery Budget Reduction Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm hoping to cut our grocery bill this next year as well! I currently spend $100 a week (some weeks a bit more!!). I would love to cut back to $75 a week to start with! Menu planning is going to make a huge difference here and if I plan well I should be able to cut back easy enough!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a great idea. I want in. I have been tracking grocery expenses the past two months. November was about $315 and December was $290 for a family of three.

I can only imagine how much I was spending before I tracked.

I have made about three OAMC meals. I am trying to learn what my family will eat (veggie soup two times, pancakes). I also have a really good stockpile, but I am too bad about "not feeling like eating what is here". I must get over this. Food is expiring and I am wasting money.

My first goal will be small as well. I want to only spend $285 in January.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to start tracking my grocery spending again as well. I did the first 7 months of 2008 but then slacked off. I got to get a grip on my spending once again. I am aiming for 250 euros in January.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have done fairly well in 2008 with keeping our weekly grocery budget to about $65 but I am hoping to continue this after our baby is born in January. I also include things like HBA, paper products, etc. in our budget but we don't buy these things too often so it helps the budget in that regard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am joining in and want to set mine at $400.00 a month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am joining as well.

I would like to get my spending to $500.00 per month. That is 4 people, 1 dog and 2 cats. It will include all cleaning supplies, pet supplies, paper products.

Scary!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile I'm in...

I TOO spend a lot on organic, but know there are ways to improve. Take care and God bless.
    Rhonda

Mother to 15 yo Tony

2016 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge 0/52
    Change Jar and Penny Challenge (Vacation) ?
    2016 Debt Reduction Challenge 0/?
    2016 0/$25($75) Weekly OR Grocery Budget Reduct Challenge 0/578.75
    2016 Project Done A Month Challenge 0/12
    No Spend Challenge 0/365
    Self Image Challenge 0/365
    2016 Eating Out No More Challenge 0/12
    Emergency Fund Challenge (Bill) 0/11,570.48, (Personal) 0/5,408.96

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm shooting really low for 2009 since we hardly have any work at all. I'm going for $400.00 (hopefully less) and that is for 4 adults, one child, 2 Labradors, 1 poodle and a rabbit. It also includes all cleaning supplies (except for laundry detergent and dish soap) and the rest will be homemade. I'd like to set a bit of that money off to the side for gardening supplies and more canning jars (from yard sales.) I'm lucky that I have some deer meat that will help us stretch our budget a bit as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Count me in too. Got a little off track towards year end but I must do better!

I will be doing $100 per week for food, HBA for 2 adults, 2 kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to join in this. I'll have to reassess each month, but for the most part I want to stick with $100 per week. That's for 2 adults, 2 kids, 3 dogs and 2 cats. It includes all food, cleaning products and HBA. I've been doing anywhere from $120-$150 per week in the past.
    Last edited by MamaTreadler; 12-28-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am totally cutting back on groceries/small items in January. I thought I could stay on budget for December with a generous $600. While it includes some extra sale items, I'm almost at $770!

When we had turkey dinner at the in-laws I even asked to take the carcass home to make soup (they were going to toss it out). But clearly I've got to be even tougher. I may re-adjust higher for February, but I'm going hard core frugal in January with a goal of $400. Wish me luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am spending $150 a month(cash) on 3 people.

I also spend an additional $150(cash) on the stockpile food and we do eat that food so it suppliments my $150 grocery money.

It is hard to go over at the grocery if you don't use the check card to pay for it. Use cash and you have to stay on budget.

I don't think I can get it any lower but I do need to maintain it as it is budgeted amounts.

Cleaning, hbas, pets, and other items are NOT part of my grocery amount. These items have their own stockpile amounts.

Once my stickpile is complete(is it ever) then I may lower it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Right now, my grocery budget includes all food, cleaning supplies, household products, cosmetics, and pet supplies. Pet supplies do not include livestock supplies (hay and grain), but do include food for two big dogs, nine parrots, approximately thirty finches (I've lost count!), one stupid feral cat, and a pond full of goldfish. It also includes frozen corn for the chickens, who get about four pounds of corn a week, so I can sneak their vitamins/supplements in, and the occasional two-pound bag of blueberries for the chickens (typically once a month), just to show them some love. The chickens, in return, give me organic, free-range eggs almost every day, so I figure it is a wash, cost-wise.

Right now, I am "comfortable" at $600. By comfortable, I mean I don't ever feel like I can't buy anything if I really want it. So I have some wriggle room, because I don't NEED everything I WANT, and I do end up buying things that look good, then not eating them, so I am obviously wasting money there. I am also lazy about coupons. I clip them with good intentions, but forget to take them along with me when I shop, as I often stop on the way home from work and don't have my coupon envelope with me. I'm thinking I may just start keeping it in the glove compartment.

For the past three months, I have been trying to keep an Excel spreadsheet of the groceries that I buy, and even though I always seem to forget to put in a receipt, I can already see, looking at my history, places where I can cut back.

So, to try to accomplish this challenge of $15/month less for groceries, my first steps will be to: a) use coupons more aggressively; b) be better about tracking purchases in my Excel spreadsheet; and c) start a price book that I can take to the store with me, to compare products and decide where the best deal will be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I currently spend $175 every two weeks AFTER coupons for a family of 2 adults and one 4 year old. Also a small dog and cat. I think that is way to much. I think I could get it down to atleast $125 every 2 weeks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would like to join in. This will be my first time doing this. So I plan to aim for $400.00 for 2 adults, 2 teens and four cats. I will include my HBA items as well.

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast