2009 Grocery Budget Reduction Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Im in with this. My budget is $350 right noe for a family of 5. This includes food, cleaning supplies, HBA etc

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    Right now, my grocery budget includes all food, cleaning supplies, household products, cosmetics, and pet supplies. Pet supplies do not include livestock supplies (hay and grain), but do include food for two big dogs, nine parrots, approximately thirty finches (I've lost count!), one stupid feral cat, and a pond full of goldfish. It also includes frozen corn for the chickens, who get about four pounds of corn a week, so I can sneak their vitamins/supplements in, and the occasional two-pound bag of blueberries for the chickens (typically once a month), just to show them some love. The chickens, in return, give me organic, free-range eggs almost every day, so I figure it is a wash, cost-wise.

Right now, I am "comfortable" at $600. By comfortable, I mean I don't ever feel like I can't buy anything if I really want it. So I have some wriggle room, because I don't NEED everything I WANT, and I do end up buying things that look good, then not eating them, so I am obviously wasting money there. I am also lazy about coupons. I clip them with good intentions, but forget to take them along with me when I shop, as I often stop on the way home from work and don't have my coupon envelope with me. I'm thinking I may just start keeping it in the glove compartment.

For the past three months, I have been trying to keep an Excel spreadsheet of the groceries that I buy, and even though I always seem to forget to put in a receipt, I can already see, looking at my history, places where I can cut back.

So, to try to accomplish this challenge of $15/month less for groceries, my first steps will be to: a) use coupons more aggressively; b) be better about tracking purchases in my Excel spreadsheet; and c) start a price book that I can take to the store with me, to compare products and decide where the best deal will be.
    I always forget my coupons as well...that is something I want to change this new year. I was at the dollar store the other day with my Moma and they had a really nice compact coupon book (holder) for $1 so I splurged and picked one up. I feel I will recoup my $1 with using the coupons as I am planning on keeping it in my car so I always have it with me. Once a week (Sunday) when the coupons come out, I will reorganize my holder by throwing out expired coupons and putting the new ones in. That is my plan to tackle..."the forgotten coupons".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I want to do this one again this year. Right now DH and I receive $323 a month for food and I want to stay at this and NOT go over. I want to include alot of stockpiling in this so I can have good 6 month or more stockpile to fall back on. I want to leave NF at $50 a month (including some stockpile items). Once I graduate in May and get a job I'll hope to make changes.

Debbie

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have joined these challanges before and have never really took them seriously but I am going to now. I am going to set mine at $500 for 3 adults, 1 teenager, 2 cats, 1 dog,
    H&B, and cleaning supplies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sooo need to do this as well. For a single person, I spend way to much money on groceries. I'm going to check out my quickbooks to see how much money I've been averaging on groceries and then cut back from there. I'll post the amount in my siggy this weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question "Thoughtful" Shopping List Challenge Anyone?

This discussion came up after my mom read the article under "FV made the news again" thread. I FIRST want you to know that my mother and I debated as to whether it is a "grocery list" or a "shopping list" (to her dinner is lunch and supper is...well, supper/dinner)...upon looking up the definitions, a grocery list is for FOOD items and a shopping list is for things to purchase so since I SOMETIMES have non food items on my SHOPPING list (furnace filters, things for my son to take to school, lawn fertilizer etc), shopping list it is. My Depression Era mother said that EVERYONE should not only make a shopping list, but go over it (we decided to go over it together before I shop, but you can go over it w/ your significant other, etc) and discuss if the item is an ABSOLUTE necessity (our definition of necessity is: roof over our head, food on the table, clothes on our back, good education (my son goes to a private school) and love...and NO, money can't buy you love) before buying it. She suggested doing this for 3 months (if you want to join me, any thoughts on for how long?) and then see how you feel about things. Thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc? Take care and God bless.

Also, in determining my definitions, at the bottom of this one, it has some info on what the average person, couple family spend a month on groceries:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grocery_store[/ame]
    Last edited by MRAHoffman; 12-30-2008 at 10:47 AM.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I spent 116$ to Costco today. My goal is to do a big shop there once a mnth or so and buy my meat, snacks, drinks, in bulk. Then all I should need to pick up at the store is produce, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How low can I go with my Canadian food bill challenge??

I have been inspired!
    I have started snowballing my debt and it was during the Christmas season to boot!
    The biggest contributing factor has been my Grocery budget! Prior to reeling in the food bill I was often spending $900 a month . The last 3 months I got it down to $500. But a lot of that was stockpiling.
    I have managed to fill my freezer with loss leaders and free food. And my pantry is stocked with dry and canned foods.

I have revisted Amy D, and scoured the internet for ideas and have been inspired by some amazingly talented american gals, BUT I wondered if a similar feat could be attained in Canada! Welllll..... I think it can!

And now that my Freezer and pantry are full I am willing to try.

I think with the combination of coupons/sales, loss leaders, cooking and baking from scratch and careful planning I think I can do it!

And all the extra money will go onto debt.

I have a couple of things going against me....
    1)are my ravenous athletic teens,
    2) I don't have quite as much meat in the Freezer as I would like
    3) and My husband is very skeptical and even a bit critical (why on earth are bothering cracking and freezing ALL THOSE walnuts, you would think you were a squirrel!)

Well anyways I AM GOING TO TRY!!!!!
    So January 1st! Here I come and I will post here how I do....

So Wish me Luck my fellow Canucks....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I am not a fellow Canuck, but I wish you luck, too.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As a former Canuck, I wish you good luck!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am new to this site (joined a long time ago). I would like to join this challenge.

I try to spend $150 every two weeks on groceries. I want to start going to the dollar store for more (paper products and such) and buying in bulk. I think that would cut our budget a little bit. I am feeding 2 adults and one very hungry, growing boy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in! My budget is $500 a month for 4 of us...2 adults, an almost 3year old picky picky eater and a 10 month old. My budget includes cleaners, food, diapers, hba, etc. The last few months I have blown my budget badly. Over the next 2 or 3 months I would like to meet the $500 goal and then after that get it down to $350-400 a month. Both the kids are still in diapers but we have told our oldest that when he turns 3 they don't make diapers for his age anymore. So hopefully that works and it will definitely make a huge difference in my budget!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am new, but I seriously need to join this challenge. We are a family of five---DH (50), me (36), DD (13), DD (11), and DS (8)---plus a large dog and a cat. I've been spending about $550-600 a month and I really want to cut that down to $400.00.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2009 Grocery challenge

I am wanting to start getting more frugal about our groceries.
    So I am putting us on a budget of $450 for everything.

Going to start making more meals at home, stopping less at the store to "pick up a few things", and basically, just getting a handle on our food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penascodragonfly View Post
    I know how to reduce our Grocery bill....I MUST MUST MUST go back to OAMC. I stopped in the summer, because our eating habits change then. After I've done an OAMC, I can save up to $200 per month. DH and I said yesterday that we must get back on track.

It's on my list to do BEFORE jan 1, 2009. I've been planning and working on my menus. I am glad Christmas is over and I can now focus on everyday living.

I always have something left over so it really is worth my 6 hours of cooking.

Could you share some of your OAMC ideas? I have run out of meal ideas. I'm pregnant and food has grossed me out lately. I would be more apt to eat something at home if I had prepared it ahead of time and can just heat it up .

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast