2009 Grocery Budget Reduction Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In the summer, if I leave the windows open, they will fly in and hover in front of my face to let me know their feeders feed refilling.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awwwww, cute! Of course if that happened here my cats would get them. But I could NOT leave windows open with no screens or we would be eaten alive by mosquitos!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm at a high enough elevation that I don't have a lot of mosquitoes. Of course, hummingbirds DO poop in liquid squirts, so it can be less than cute when they visit. Learned that one the hard way. They fly in, hover, then zoom out, squirting liquid poo as they go.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, that part I wouldn't like! I can picture it though ... coming to you begging for more food and leaving you a present!...lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi there, I'd like to join the grocery store challenge, too. I need accountability so I stay on track. When I moved to the UK, I had no idea what a normal amount to spend on groceries was. Apparently the most expensive store was the one that was closest and I had no idea how badly I was blowing up our groceries bill every month. Then DH and I figured out how much we were adding to that by buying our lunches our when we were at work. I'm embarrassed to say that some months our bills exceeded 700 GBP... a horrendous amount of money down the drain.

Now, I'm unemployed- ick! We are trying to be super-frugal and our new weekly limit on food is 40 GBP. We also go to Costco about once a month, for stockpile stuff so we need to set a limit on that too, i have to come up with a reasonable estimate for that journey.... Perhaps I could do Costco visits in a way where I adjust the visits to start with a higher allowance in the beginning and cut it down monthly. Something like starting with 75GBP with the intention to buy 35 pounds worth of stockpile foods, then cat litter, food, coffee, butter, etc. I would love to stockpile dairy and meat, but our fridge and freezer here in the UK are TINY, TINY TINY!

Someday we will own and maybe have a freezer chest.

Sorry to babble. Anyway, I think 40 GBP a week for groceries and 75 for a visit to costco for now. with that phasing down to 50 per visit by June. I'm going to consult with DH about these figures, but I think he will be one happy chappy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to join in this challenge. I have no idea what we spend per month for groceries/household. But I have been tracking and dh is on board too!
    I am not sure what stockpiling is. Is it buying sale items in bulk and "stocking up"? I am actually asking my Mom to take me to a salvage store for my birthday to stock up. That will be her birthday present to me.....
    I have never had success w/coupons because I usually just go buy what ever is cheapest. And I am not organized. But that post on the Dawn dish det. at CVS really caught my eye!!!Thanks.
    I tried a small version of OAMC cooking and it was great. We went through the frozen meals quickly....I was trying to just use them for times I was too busy to cook or to tired.....I think to do it right I need to buckle down and cook for the whole month. Would it be cost effective to cook for 1/2 month???

Anyway, I'm in. This month we have spent $210.39 on groc. and household. My husband has come home w/pop and icecream when we didn't need it .....granted he knew we would be snowed in today and the kids would be home all day, but I really could have made do without all of that. Snacks are the area I need to cut down cost in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm a little late posting the update, as I went shopping on Sunday. I bought a bunch of stuff I don't normally get (a lot of replacement make-up to take the place of old, grimy, and probably non-hygienic stuff that I've had forever), so the bill was pretty high for the amount of actual food I purchased. But I will add it on anyway, as it all goes toward the balance. Mostly, I bought non-food items, so the only food that was on this particular bill was some brown rice, some tortillas, some salad fixings (raw sunflower seeds, cranberries, etc), some snack items (roasted soy nuts, potato chips (oops)), and some shredded cheese. The rest was trouser socks, nylons, a couple of magazines, and a bunch of make-up (expensive!!). Total bill was $264.04.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
    I think to do it right I need to buckle down and cook for the whole month. Would it be cost effective to cook for 1/2 month???
    I tried to do once a month cooking also. There is only me, DH and 2 year old DS. I have found that cooking a double or triple batch is plenty for our house. DH gets tired of the same meals all the time. I usually freeze leftovers in single servings. Even then a double batch of something could yeild 4-6 single servings for later. I have done pancakes twice. The big batch I make only lasts about two weeks. (DH eats these for breakfast, snack,and sometimes a meal). I may increase this, but the others I will still keep smaller than a month worth.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I LOVE triple coupon days at my local grocery store. I usually get so excited I buy lots of junk we don't even need because it is so cheap. This time I only spent 8.82! I am proud of myself. I am trying to buy nothing. I have DS's birthday party this weekend, so I am saving money for that. I plan on only having cake and ice cream. I bought a smaller cake and will make cupcakes I already have here for extra food. Hope it works out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
    I am not sure what stockpiling is. Is it buying sale items in bulk and "stocking up"? I am actually asking my Mom to take me to a salvage store for my birthday to stock up. That will be her birthday present to me.....
    Stockpiling certainly does include buying sale items in bulk, if those sale items are ones you normally use. Basically, it is getting to a point where you have enough of an inventory that you can sit back and wait for prices on a particular item to be low, and then stock up on that, vs. being forced to pay full price for everything because you need it and don't have any on hand.

Some people would define it as having enough food to survive without buying any more for "x" number of months. I pretty much do what you are talking about and just try to take advantage of the deals out there, without really being concerned about whether I have all the food groups covered.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am still tracking my household/grocieries and I think I am doing terrible!!! I can't believe how much I have spent already. Granted, I have stocked up on a few items - but this is the first time I have actually kept track and I am shocked! Are you ready for the terrible truth? So far I have spent $276.39. Alot of things will last the rest of the month, but I am just discouraged.
    I am trying to perk myself up - I know I can't begin to do better until I know where I am at. And I did stock up on some sale items at Ingles , I don't usually do that....I used a coupon , I am planning meals, I made laundry soap!!!! Surely this will begin to make a difference!!!
    Major mistake today- I took my 13 yr old son w/me grocery shopping. I am sure he cost me at least $10 extra. Lesson learned!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't fret newleaf. If you were able to get some items that will last you the month it isn't too bad. You have made the first right step by keeping track so now you will be more concious of what you are spending. You are on the right road. Be proud of yourself!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've posted my new totals in my signature. Angel food comes next week so I should just eek by on my grocery budget. Maybe. I set the budget pretty low hoping that even if I went over it would be less than my usual $600. I did buy alot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Joy of six,
    How do you store all of that milk? I tried freezing a gallon one time and it took soooooo long to thaw.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What is a good way to get started couponing? My local Ingles will double up to $1.00. I have printed out a few coupons for things I usually buy, but to be honest I am not sure the coupon would save me more or just buying the store brand.....I think I need to start a price book too. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast