2010 Christmas Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i've been thinking that magazine subscriptions for x-mas 2010 would be a good purchase...(if i can get them for the prices i saw this year....) i kept getting e-mails from amazon.com advertising them for $5 each--and they were good popular mags too)...but of course i had already purchased everything....when you think about it though 12 months of a mag for $5 is an awfully good deal and its the 'gift that keeps on giving'....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would certainly enjoy getting mag subscriptions as my present. You'd have to do some sleuthing to figure out which ones to get, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I would certainly enjoy getting mag subscriptions as my present. You'd have to do some sleuthing to figure out which ones to get, though.
    oh no...there in lies the beauty of the whole thing (besides the price)....if you gave me just 5 minutes to decide for the entire family i guarantee i could do it and everyone would be pleased.....(except for my in-laws...they would require 5 mins of their own coz they already get tons of them).....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Magazine subscriptions sound great!!.... and here's the selfish part - would it satisfy my need to create? Personally i would love getting magazine subscriptions!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh a pizza basket is a good idea and not too expensive. I also need to put away some money for 2010 christmas. Not sure the amount yet this year i know i spent less than $150.00. I love the idea of picking up stocking stuffers all year i may expand on that this year. I think i am still leaning towards food gifts for 2010.

I have made a rubberband ball and I think i spent under $2.00 for the rubberbands.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just ordered 2 cones (16oz each) of multicolored Christmas cotton yarn for my scrubbies nad dischclothes for next Christmas. Could not find any around here and I really want to get started!!

The ones I am working on now, I will use for Easter gifts - just need to figure out what I am going to use for HM baskets!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also started my Christmas club back in Oct. I've managed to sock away 75.00 I would like to join this challenge I'd like to beat what I did this year.I bought for 47 people and spent 275.00 I had to buy a few last min things for DH or it would of been 250.00.
    This thread will be an inspiration for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I usually do fine for Christmas. I pick up gifts year-round and hide them away. The kids are always thrilled.

This year, however, where my Christmas finances fell apart was between dh and I.

Christmas was almost here and I only had a few things for him and he had nothing for me. Despite the fact that I always tell him differently, he always feels the need to spend a lot on me. Don't get me wrong...I love what he gets, but I don't love the bill afterward, as I planned so far and so hard for everything else.

This year he got me a Flip video camera, which I love and will definitely use. However, yikes when the Amex bill comes in January. I bought him a drill, because his old one finally died. Again, needed, but expensive.

So, I need to make sure I have some solid cash put away for this type of buying. I'm totally in.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I set up a separate savings account in my ING acct for Christmas, so it will be a bit more challenging than a Christmas Club acct, because I have access to it. But it also allows me to pull from it if I find a present in June that I want to use for Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

AmyBoz, I feel your pain. I bought my BIL a hammer-drill, because my sister said he REALLY wanted one but couldn't afford it. Spent more than I intended on him, as I had already picked him up a $25 Lowe's card, but they had a rough year, and they have a couple of rentals, and he does all the handyman work on them and on their home, so I figured it was something he needed more than something he wanted, and it was worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    I'm collecting cute coffee mugs this year to do mug desserts for my coworkers for Christmas 2010. I need to do 30-32.

Make friends with a teacher! I have about 6 mugs sitting in my basement ready to go to the donation box. We get so many mugs each year! I'm sure you can get some donated to you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Count me in! I plan to set up a Christmas account at the credit union when I go back to work in January. My friend and I are going shopping tomorrow to pick up reduced Christmas stuff that I give to co-workers; picture frames, candles and what-not. I should start a little notebook to keep in my purse to write down things I pick up for people throughout the year. I really like the idea of stocking stuffers throughout the year. Off I go to think of a good storage system for my preparedness!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm so in...goal of $500 next year if I can - this should include all wrapping, shipping if necessary, xmas cards & postage, gas $ for travels AND baking ingredients. I plan to do something homemade next year - treat and small gift. Plus I think our family agreed to the White Elephant type of gift exchange for next year - easier on all of our budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I don't really exchange gifts with anyone, but you are all an inspiration for planning ahead in general.

This doesn't mean I don't spend a good bit at Christmas. I can be very generous to myself LOL! I should take a negative approach -- just stay off Amazon.com next November and December. I should go write that in my calendar.
    Who says you can't be your own secret Santa? You'd be the BESTEST gift giver of all!

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I like it. I'm thinking it would be cool to start with something like a silver dollar, so there would be a prize in the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    That's a great idea!! or maybe a wadded up bill!! I like your creativity!!
    Just hope the recipient is aware that there is a prize in the middle or else they may just toss it out figuring they may not need that many rubber bands! Only us frugalites would shove it into a drawer 'just in case' lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, I was thinking you'd want to attach a note or something giving them a clue. Maybe I'll have to come up with a rubber band ball Christmas poem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just talking with hubby during our last business meeting that I would like to start a Christmas item in our budget. I am taking out $15 each week. That way, I will have cash available when i see gifts on sale and will be able to only spend CASH. This year, I used my debit card A LOT. Although, this is the second year that I have not charged ONE thing and we will have no financial hardships from all my shopping! Pretty successful!

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast