Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Update:

"Our sinking fund this year was for...

$3000 trip to see girls in the Maritimes
    $15,000 kitchen renovations
    $4950 taxes and insurance
    $1200 gifts to give (birthdays and Christmas)
    $2000 furniture and appliances"

One daughter is definitely wanting to come west for Christmas. The other isn't so sure.

The kitchen window was replaced and still has to be paid for...$1000.

Taxes and insurance are covered. DH has been saving up extra money in utilities that we'll put towards the increase in taxes this year.

I will be making Christmas gifts and DH and I will use joint funds (sinking fund) for birthday gifts. That will be $400 for birthdays, and possibly another $400 for Christmas...we'll see.

We've been able to buy a solid oak futon on sale for $1300 and a cast iron bistro set on sale for $100. We only have $600 more for furniture...and it will probably be patio furniture of some sort. However I am also trying to sell a single bed for $100. When I do, that money will go into the furniture budget.

We're getting there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey! How's everyone doing with their sinking funds? We managed to get everything done but the kitchen reno.

$3000 trip to see girls in the Maritimes
    $15,000 kitchen renovations
    $4950 taxes and insurance
    $1200 gifts to give (birthdays and Christmas)
    $2000 furniture and appliances"

The girls have come home or are coming home at various points this year so we don't have to go visit.

Taxes and insurance were covered just fine. We just finished paying the house insurance today.

I've got gifts covered for the year. Maybe $100 in stocking stuffers for Christmas, but that's it. I did manage to knit something for everyone but DH so far this year. And I have all the supplies to knit something for him. Just have to do it.

We were able to buy the futon and bistro set for the patio this year...and a BBQ. And neighbors who moved gave us tons of extra seating for the backyard. As a result we've been able to entertain quite a bit. It's fun!

While we didn't do the kitchen reno per se, we did replace the kitchen window and prepare the kitchen ceiling for painting. It's awaiting a repainting as our original top coat is too glossy. We have a new light fixture which is really nice. And we have a new sink and faucet. All nice.

Now we are saving up for the other work. DH found someone in the neighborhood who builds kitchen cabinets and installs them. We are thinking we might act as general contractors for ourselves yet.

Jean

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789