Moving house challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, we've taken the official mortgage papers home to read them before we sign them, and it's a good thing we did, because there are mistakes in them!

- The file charges of €260 are still mentioned;
    - the 'enclosed' life insurance contract is not enclosed;
    - the 'enclosed' fire insurance contract is not enclosed, although we are warned that this should be taken care of before we buy the house officially. It's with ING, so where is the document, and why the warning?
    - the calculation of interest is wrong: 4.85% normal interest -/- 1.05% combination offer (because we have life and fire insurance with ING as well) = 4.05% according to them! One of these numbers is incorrect! And that mistake coming from a BANK!
    - in the model document for the notary the (correct) amount of €200,000 is mentioned, when suddenly an amount of €200,000 'and €10,000' is mentioned. Where did that come from?
    - this same document also states that the mortgage is 'revolving'. No, it's not!

AND they have already taken €30 from our bank account for the life insurance, before we have signed anything, before we have indicated whether we want to pay annually or monthly, before the mortgage is actually in effect. BOOOOH ING! Until the official documents are signed with the notary, we are covered by the notary's fee free life insurance, no need for the ING life insurance yet.

I'll call the bank manager this afternoon....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh had his first day at work yesterday and all went well. Small problem: they asked him to start one hour later, to make sure everyone was there to be introduced to. They forgot to tell him (and he did not think of it) that he would also leave one hour later. Consequence: he could not pick dd up from the daycare. I left at 5 as usual, my bus was 15 minutes late, then took an unexplained detour... I got to the daycare centre 20 minutes late. Consequence: €20 ($28.50) fine! They are quite right, and it won't happen again, and I feel very sad for dd being in daycare for 10 hours :-(. Today, dh has normal working hours, and his supervisor has promised they will stay this way until we move house. The road to our new house has no traffic jams for either dh or me.

I'll work on the email to the bank manager regarding the mortgage tonight. I'll also send a letter to our Landlady. She insists on a 3-month notice before we leave our apartment, even though we do not have a contract and legally she will not have a leg to stand on, seeing she is renting this apartment out illegally (she is on state benefits and lives in social rental accommodation - she should not have property).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've sent the bank manager a 2-page email, and I've called him to say that I expect a speedy reply. If we don't sign the official mortgage papers by 18 November, we still have to pay the fees, even though the mistakes are theirs. Blllg!

We had to take €400 out of savings; it was a bit too much to have put all $5,000 in savings, but it felt so good! Anyway, about $100 will be spent on a 'weekend cruise' to York in England with my 3 best friends, girls only. I'm really looking forward to that. (Weekend cruise means that you go there on a night boat, a 13-hour trip during which you sleep in a 4-person cabin, then take a 1-hour bus to York, have about 7 hours there, take the bus back to the boat, and have another 13-hour boat trip home).

In 2 weeks' time both dh and I will get paid, and we will be able to put most of it away. This year we will not celebrate St. Nicolas on 5 December, and for Christmas we do not exchange gifts. We celebrate only the religious side of it. Our dd is only 2 and will not miss it, the rest of the family is too far away and too busy.

New savings overview:
    House:
    8,250 / 7,850 Registration fee
    2,163.66 / 2,163.66 Notary
    1,100 / 1,100 additional documents/seals/etc

Mortgage:
    2,200 / 2,200 Registration fee
    899.72 / 899.720 National Mortgages' Office
    952.32 / 952.32791.3 Notary
    1,000 / 791.30 additional documents/seals/etc

Take-over and Renovations:
    500 / 0 Van rental
    40 / 0 Taxes for the rest of the year
    1,000 / 0 paint and wallpaper for downstairs' rooms

Total
    needed: 18,105.70 / saved: 15,957

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had a very interesting talk with the bank manager, we made a few changes by hand to the docs, then I took them home, signed them, copied them and handed them back in. I am now waiting for confirmation that he has actually received them.

On another note: Sunday morning we had the Landlady over with a family interested in renting our current apartment. They are willing to move in as soon as we move out, the sooner the better. Good, that means no other viewings for which to pretty up the house and a good chance of getting our bail money back.
    (We think the apartment is getting too small for a 2-kid family, they are moving in with 3 adults and 4 small children - the Landlady is not too happy about that, but cannot afford to loose a month's rent).

Registered User Lynnwantstosave$$'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just found this thread and i am hooked!!I love hearing about buying a home in another country. But i want more, lol. where are you Siebrie? I hope you are moving into your new home and things are going great with your pregnancy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12