Ebay buying or selling TIPS - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great thread!! - especially during these challenging times!! Have lots I would love to sell and may finally get around to using ebay - please keep posting any ideas, tips, experiences!! Mahalo!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Great thread!! - especially during these challenging times!! Have lots I would love to sell and may finally get around to using ebay - please keep posting any ideas, tips, experiences!! Mahalo!!

I have a lot more that I need to get done, between my own family, my parents, in-laws, and everything else, I can't get motivated to get it done!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

as an ex seller ( who occasionally lists something and i may yet to raise some holiday $$ ) who quit regular selling short of 5000 + feedback and was a power seller at one time these are
    my tips

#1 read the rules
    saying i didnt know that after you started when there are plenty of tutorials available doesnt look good

# 2 use the message boards - read ones on the type of thing you hope to sell use it to gain knowledge ask questions but not to expect people to do your homework for you . i taught myself all about vintage clothes when the kids clothing area i started in was getting too big - and made a good amt of money selling vintage items ( once sold a vintage Pucci 60s dress i paid 4$ for for over 300$ )

#3 research what you want to sell to see if its worth selling
    and if what you can make is more than your fees- etc.
    good pictures- good desriptions- really to me a 1$ profit for an hour of my time packing shopping picture taking and shipping isnt really worth it . i do this all the time- IE my younger dd has some cute build a bears she no longer wants so i searched them before deciding to list them you can put the item you have in the ebay search and then see whats listed- make sure your is in same condition same year etc before comparing / if you hit completed listings on the left hand side you can se what they are selling for, i am not taking the time to take pix list pack etc for 5$ . but thats just me.
    when i did ebay as a reg home business my goal was a 7$ + profit on each item and i bought accordingly .

when doing research on already sold items always make sure you check out the shipping of the highest sellers - IE an item may be selling for 9.99 but one seller got 15.99- they may have offered free shipping so unless you offer free shipping its unlikely you will get 15.99

#4 dont pad shipping costs to add onto what you make profit - many buyers are also sellers so know what you are doing and wont bid on your stuff. and last i checked it was in the rules you cant say you added the cost of your fees onto the stated shipping costs
    better to figure that into your starting bid .

#5 good description - measurements if needed gets you more bids
    - sometimes adding a dine or quarter next to item in picture gives good idea of size. monitors differ so mention the true color - good pictures- more than one if needed- also take pix of any flaws.

#6 make the title relevent- IE [email protected]@K CUTE and especially Vintage when its really not most times just annoys people
    put characters / words one might search
    IE womans 14 vintage 60s red maxi dress you got the style the era the size the gender etc

describe any flaws an item has -

#7 if you are a smoke free pet free home or both put that in your listing - i dont buy anything that can hold onto odors and not easily be washed home due to severe sensativities i have , if i dont see smoke free- i assume ist not and will buy from someone who says they are - if its the only item them i may ask but my time is important to me and i may not have the time bid wise to ask and wait for a response - so i move on .

#8 communicate well - thank people for their payment and let them know when you will be shipping
    always use delivery confirmation and if an items worth over 20$ i use insurance and make it a mandatory part of the shipping costs .pack well - if it breaks and wasnt packed within USPS guidelines its your fault it broken even if they tossed it off a cliff.

always tell shipping costs up front using calculator if needed.

# 9 dont bug people for feedback its not mandatory and you may end up getting some you dont like .
    if everyone i sold things too left me feedback i would have had dble the amt .

# 10 you dont need all the extras ebay offers for extra fees bold titles etc to sell 99% of the items you will sell-
    and it cuts back on your profit
    you can use a site like photobucket to add more than one picture to an auction by learning basic HTML ( or is it HMTL lol ) - and really i am not good at it but taught myself well enough to ebay !!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

bumping this up to keep me focusing on doing/selling something on ebay!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just read about another auction site that I hadn't heard of.....probably not the best place to post it here......but......I did some looking around today but know nothing else about it........

www.boocooauctions.com Lower fees than ebay I do know that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my user id on ebay is jlwsew if anyone would like to look at some of my auctions and give me some feedback on what they like and don't like. The last 2 weeks have been REALLY slow and I am not sure if it is the listings or what I am selling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Things on ebay and everywhere else seem REALLY SLOW right now. Ebay has been running a LOT of promotions lately.

I know this time of year, that people are looking for gifts or things to make gifts with because of Christmas. They probably won't be buying too many things for themselves till Xmas actually gets here and then people use gift money to treat thenselves.

My auctions been getting looks and watchers but not a lot of bids.
    I also made a 3rd user id about 3 months ago, to use only for bidding. Yesterday I put up 100 book auctions on it from 11 am to 8 pm. I was TOAST. Ebay puts seller limits on a new seller. I could not get my limit lifted through their process by using your existing seller id as a reference. Today I try again And I really like the simple listing page I got to use. So MUCH faster.
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 12-24-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: too much personal info

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by militlady View Post
    my user id on ebay is jlwsew if anyone would like to look at some of my auctions and give me some feedback on what they like and don't like. The last 2 weeks have been REALLY slow and I am not sure if it is the listings or what I am selling.
    I think your listings look just fine
    I believe the economy is a good part of the problem. People are not buying collectibles as much. And antiques are way down also.

How do you like inkfrog ? Are they still $ 10 a month ?
    I used to use them and really liked them. Made it so much easier to schedule auctions with. I used to like to get my auctions all up, on one day early in the week. Now I am just thankful to get them up, whenever I can. Motivation seems to come and go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you get ONE auction up this week.......come back here for help if needed......I will get my VERY first listing up on ETSY.....
    deal ?!?!? (email me if you need help )

And yes we want a link to your auction

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by militlady View Post
    It's not just you, it's been slow for everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love Inkfrog. No, I think it is $14.99/month. But it saves me a ton of time listing especially on things that I only have to change pics and minor description changes.

I hated to but I started putting calculated shipping on all my auctions this week because someone gave me a 2 on shipping DSR and I have no idea why. My shipping is very close to actual cost if not less. I make absolutely NO money on shipping. I think people think it should be part of the auction cost. Now they can see how much it really costs. We also send out every item the day after we are paid and we got a low rating on our sending stuff out too. I am not responsible for how long it takes the PO to actually deliver an item. We were ending all our auctions on Sunday night but we have decided to just list 3 or 4 things a day instead. I hate when people just watch my auctions when they have no intention of actually bidding on anything. Weird but it seems that the only thing we are really doing any good on at all right now is scrap silver and gold. (OK rant over)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

to Lady: I like your layout and your descriptions. I don't blame you for not sending international. I refuse to even let anyone outside the US even bid on any of my items any more because we had a russian bid on something and never pay for it. It took us 2 weeks to finally be able to relist the item and then it sold for $300 less than the original sale. At least if it is in the US I have a little more control. or so I tell myself

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to sell international a lot. Then I had a bidder from the UK tell me a book did not get to her. We waited it out for awhile. I was going to refund her and one of her emails just ticked me off for some reason. I wrote her a DETAILED long email that I would refund her but not to plan on bidding on any of my auctions anymore, and because of her, I would NOT sell international again. Well surprise , surprise, the VERY next day she gets the book and emailed me she was happy with it. Left positive feedback too.

The problem with international to me, is I can't track them. I have to go by the bidder's honesty if they get the package or not.

I will still sell international though. If someone emails me and asks to bid, I can quick check their feedback and then give permission to go ahead. I have sold to Canada this year, and also the UK. I also like to be able to give them a postage quote before they bid.

One thing I do in my auctions is to include .60 for a handling fee along with the actual cost postage that is figured by the weight. It sounds like a bit, but it is only ONCE for the transaction, no matter if they buy 1 item, or 10, or 100. I do put a DC on the package so the bidder and me, the seller , can track the packages.

Ebay has changed the rules so much. They made INSURANCE be mandatory or none. They won't let the sellers offer it as a OPTION any more.

I been enjoying craigslist, it's quick, easy and simple

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

Okay...........it's your turn

I got out of my comfort zone this morning, and finally got my VERY first listings up on ETSY.....

ladytoysdream on Etsy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks great LTD!!

Sometimes I think you are talking in a foreign language with others who sell on ebay!!

As for posting my auction here, as we say "I Shame!!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast