2011 Waste No More Food Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to join this challenge. We do waste to much. Like others produce seems to be the biggie here. I need to clean out my frig right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wishing you all good luck ladies dont have this problem everything gets eaten here and what little remains the Bernese Mt dog takes care of lol Good luck guys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Decided to get a jump on this by cleaning out my fridge. Happily, the only two items I thought I might have to toss were a bag of persimmons and a bag of pears. Upon checking both, they were still good. The persimmons are the kind you bake with, so I was able to extract the meat from about 70% of them. (The rest are on the counter, waiting to ripen even more.) The pears (four of them) are still in the fridge, and I'm going to try to finish them off this coming week. The freezer is in good shape - nothing to toss.

Pantry is next. That might be a different story.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talk about a bad start, I burned a 1/2 a dozen eggs I was attempting to hard boil last night. *sigh* Must set timer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I chopped up green peppers and put them in the freezer today before they went bad. It will be easy to throw them in dishes later. Off to a good start.

I've got a little bag left of brown lentils and I don't really care for them. What to do, what to do....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The pantry was definitely a different story; however, I was able to save a number of marginal items, and I am busily making "stuff" now to use it up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did a quick check of the pantry and fridge, want to start the new year fresh. Tossed 4 boxes out of date cereal and a bottle of bbq sauce. There are a few more items I need to pitch tomorrow when dh isn't looking
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I definitely need to accept this challenge...I seem to be throwing away perfectly good produce and leftovers at a regular rate because they've molded and have just gone uneaten. This only makes the price of my other food go up.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    I chopped up green peppers and put them in the freezer today before they went bad. It will be easy to throw them in dishes later. Off to a good start.

I've got a little bag left of brown lentils and I don't really care for them. What to do, what to do....

I whirl them in a food processor and mix with seasoned breadcrumbs, and spices. Then roll them in seasoned breadcrumbs and pan fry. I serve the lentil burgers in hearty rolls with lettuce, tomato, and onion. I almost always make sweet potato wedges, spiced, drizzled with olive oil and baked to accompany.

Sometimes I use them in place of the meat in shepards /cottage pie.

Or in place of meat in spaghetti sauce, even DH like this.

Or I make "beef" barb- b-que sandwiches with oven fries. I like this recipe. I make adjustments for the lentils.

INGREDIENTS:
    7 pounds boneless chuck roast
    1 cup water
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    4 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    3 cups ketchup
    2 teaspoons salt
    3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place the roast into a slow cooker along with the water. Cover, and cook on LOW for 2 to 4 hours, or until beef can be easily shredded with a fork.
    2. Shred the beef, removing fat as you go. Remove 1/2 cup of the broth from the slow cooker, and reserve for later. Add the vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. Mix in the salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic. Stir so that the meat is well coated.
    3. Cover, and continue to cook beef on LOW for an additional 4 to 6 hours. Add the reserved broth only if necessary to maintain moisture. Serve on toasted buns. The meat can be frozen for future use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    I have tossed them into veggie type soups and chili before. You don't even really notice they are there, and they do add fiber!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with all of the suggestions about the lentils. Especially in soups, etc. They are so small, they usually just fall apart and you can't even tell. Same with spaghetti sauce, let the sauce simmer an hour or so and they will break down a bit, extra protein and fiber and you are the only one who knows they are in there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made a big batch of veggie chili to use up some marginal canned beans and tomatoes. Making up some cornbread for the birds to use up some baby food that is still good but won't be for much longer. Also will use up old cornbread mixes, so a two-fer.

Opened a huge can of pumpkin puree and froze it in individual bags to be added to the dogs' food.

I have one huge can of tomato sauce that I'm going to make marinara out of today. (Does that reset the expiration date?) Now I just have to figure out how to use two cans of soup (cream of mushroom and chicken with herbs) and two cans of sweetened condensed milk, and I'll feel pretty good about salvaging what was going to go bad in the pantry. (Lots of old dry goods in there, but I don't worry about their expiration dates as much as I do canned.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd like to join in, we definitely waste too much food! The other day we tossed what seemed like half the fridge out. We managed to save what was left of the Christmas turkey and found a head of cabbage we forgot we had (DH is making a yummy dish we call Chinese pasta for dinner tonight at my request - spaghetti, shredded cabbage, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar and bacon. Surprisingly very tasty!

Because I am new at this, I'm just going to focus on meats, leftovers and produce - refridgerated items basically. I only recently discovered that you can crack and freeze eggs (although I guess there is some debate on breaking the yolks before freezing).

DH is also the king of condiments - we have so many bottles of who knows what in the fridge you can hardly see or store anything. One goal will be to use them up and not replace so many of them.

For those of you who have done this before - what are your top tips? Do you all have spare freezers? My grandmother always saved her vegetable kitchen scraps in a ziploc bag and every couple of weeks she's use them to make a vegetable soup for lunches. All her meat scraps went to the cat!
    Last edited by ml2620; 12-31-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do have a spare freezer that I got through Freecycle. However, it is usually filled up with pet food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ml2620 View Post
    My grandmother always saved her vegetable kitchen scraps in a ziploc bag and every couple of weeks she's use them to make a vegetable soup for lunches. All her meat scraps went to the cat!
    I should have said "a ziploc bag IN HER FREEZER." She didn't even let her scraps go bad!

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast