2011 Waste No More Food Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Count me in for this one too! Stuff just seems to find it's way to the back of the fridge, forgotten about, etc. Gonna have to clean the fridge out and start "fresh" first though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've come to these forums today with a purpose; I am looking for support and accountability.

My husband and I have agreed on a plan that would allow me the luxury of having the option to quit my "punch the clock" job as of July of 2012 if we can meet some financial goals by that time. In order to have a chance of doing so, not only must we stay within in the budget (which we normally do), but we must reduce discretionary spending so that it is at least 10% below budget. I'm going to every challenge I think can help us meet this goal, and I would love some .

This being said, I am in on this one.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    I whirl them in a food processor and mix with seasoned breadcrumbs, and spices. Then roll them in seasoned breadcrumbs and pan fry. I serve the lentil burgers in hearty rolls with lettuce, tomato, and onion. I almost always make sweet potato wedges, spiced, drizzled with olive oil and baked to accompany.

Sometimes I use them in place of the meat in shepards /cottage pie.

Or in place of meat in spaghetti sauce, even DH like this.

Or I make "beef" barb- b-que sandwiches with oven fries. I like this recipe. I make adjustments for the lentils.

INGREDIENTS:
    7 pounds boneless chuck roast
    1 cup water
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    4 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    3 cups ketchup
    2 teaspoons salt
    3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place the roast into a slow cooker along with the water. Cover, and cook on LOW for 2 to 4 hours, or until beef can be easily shredded with a fork.
    2. Shred the beef, removing fat as you go. Remove 1/2 cup of the broth from the slow cooker, and reserve for later. Add the vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. Mix in the salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic. Stir so that the meat is well coated.
    3. Cover, and continue to cook beef on LOW for an additional 4 to 6 hours. Add the reserved broth only if necessary to maintain moisture. Serve on toasted buns. The meat can be frozen for future use.
    Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I have tossed them into veggie type soups and chili before. You don't even really notice they are there, and they do add fiber!
    Quote Originally Posted by tervsforme View Post
    I agree with all of the suggestions about the lentils. Especially in soups, etc. They are so small, they usually just fall apart and you can't even tell. Same with spaghetti sauce, let the sauce simmer an hour or so and they will break down a bit, extra protein and fiber and you are the only one who knows they are in there!
    Thanks for the great suggestions for the lentils. I bought them for a recipe I didn't care for and need to use the rest up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Took a big can of just on the edge tomato sauce, and with a little white wine, a little olive oil, some mushrooms, onion, and garlic, and a few seasonings, I now have a WONDERFUL marinara bubbling in the crockpot! I am going to let it cook for a while, to let the flavours blend, then let it cool and put it in the freezer in single-serve containers to use as needed. The whole house smells SO good right now!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tomorrow, I will be cleaning out my fridge for my fresh start for the new year, and hope not to waste any food! My fridge has a bunch of outdated food as of right now....With menu planning, this should work well!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wonderful idea, Madhen. I always keep tomato sauce on hand.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a 1/4 of a loaf of garlic bread starting to go stale in the ice box. Any ideas on what to do with it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mmmm....garlic croutons!! Slice into cubes, brush with butter, bake until golden brown. Try to put them on a salad rather than eating them directly off the baking sheet.

Or maybe let it dry out, make crumbs out of it, and use it in meatballs or meatloaf?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cleaned out the fridge today and therw away too much food!

Today was grocery shopping today and I bought only what we need for the week. I'm not couponing right now, going to try buying only what we need week to week.

May cost a bit more, but will be easier for me. I need to focus on getting a lot of other things in order bf I devote the time it takes to coupon effectively.

Fresh start tomorrow! No more wasted food!! My family is going to have to learn to eat what we have instead of running to the store to pick up something we are in the mood for!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did good today!

We had tacos for dinner and normally (I know this is wasteful but...) I let the dog have the leftover ground beef, there is usually not much left but this evening I threw it in with tomato sauce and paste and seasonings and made a quick spaghetti sauce!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calimomx2 View Post
    I did good today!

We had tacos for dinner and normally (I know this is wasteful but...) I let the dog have the leftover ground beef, there is usually not much left but this evening I threw it in with tomato sauce and paste and seasonings and made a quick spaghetti sauce!
    I imagine the dog is not thrilled with your new thriftiness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    I have a 1/4 of a loaf of garlic bread starting to go stale in the ice box. Any ideas on what to do with it?
    Grind it up in the food processor or blender to make bread crumbs, then use those crumbs as breading on chicken or fish or mushrooms or zucchini. Yum!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My husband will love that I've joined this challenge....I've been pretty bad about forgetting things in the fridge at times, and he hates throwing away food. I hate it too, he just hates it even more than I do.

Today I'm cooking some corned beef and cabbage, and we have never thrown any of that away. So thinking about it, I think one thing I can do to help me with this challenge is to cook more of things we know we like and will eat, and less of things that I know are not favorites. Better menu-planning will help me a lot, I think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had several cans of just-expired condensed soup: celery, mushroom, and a can of chicken with herbs. I have tossed them all in the CP, and I just roasted a turkey, so once it cools, I am going to add it, along with some veggies, and see what results.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is something I have been trying to work on for a while.

For accountability, I think I will try and post everything we had to throw out on Friday like a blog I have seen.

So I guess that means I am in.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast