No Groceries In February - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I imagine your cat is, too.
    Shhhhh..... don't let them hear you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm impressed with this challenge...don't think I can do it, but I do think I will give it a try.

I know I will need things like pet food, bread & milk...etc, but otherwise, I'm going to use my stockpile and see if I can make it through the end of the month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

here's what I DIDN'T get from Kroger this past week.

but I would have liked to.....

Garden of Eatin’ Tortilla Chips would have been $.49 after coupons

Kettle chips would be $.49 after coupons

Hunt's tomatoe sauce... $.16

Progresso soups .... $.24

I did it. I did it.... I went through an entire sale week.... and it sucked. LOL

I haven't gone to the grocery store yet since the month started, so I'll need a gallon of milk soon. I hope I can find some freebies in the next weeks sale ads.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You have more will power than I do.
    I am a sucker for a good grocery deal!!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I slipped a little this week. Chicken tenders were $1.50 /lb. I bought two packages, cost me $4. And I bought a bag of gourmet chips we didn't need, but they lured me with a sale and a coupon, $1.50.

Everything else I bought was something we were out of, cat food, cooking oil, bread, milk, etc.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well this week I shopped intentionally for things I didn't need but wanted to add to the stockpile. We have our tax refund already and I had in my head for awhile now that when it came I was taking a small portion of it for that purpose. I spent 83.00 and have an excellent stockpikle right now. The rest of the month everything is on a need to have basis like sliced turkey for the kids lunches, milk, bread and fresh produce. Unless of course I see an amazing deal on something I can't pass up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow I can never find great deals like that. I'm Canadian so are never that good. I wish I could join but my stock pile isn't big enough. I'm working on it though. Good luck to you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spent $16.05 ~ Bought 2 18ct eggs, 2 cheese, 1 gal milk & 1 bottle of syrup.

Had coupons for the eggs, saved $1.40

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ooookayyy... So the idea is to stockpile at great prices/coupons, and then use use use it all up and save by not wasting. I do NOT have a stockpile at all, but I'm going to get started on that! I would love a bit of extra money for savings! We do try this in smaller portions but I think a large portion of saving from not grocery shopping would feel great.
    What are some great items to stockpile?
    I'm Canadian, and like Supise said, we just don't see great deals (even with coupons) like that here. Makes me so mad to see the grocery prices in the States compared to ours! It's ridiculous!!
    But this is very cool.... gonna start workign on it today
    Last edited by Cares; 02-07-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added question

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cares View Post
    Ooookayyy... So the idea is to stockpile at great prices/coupons, and then use use use it all up and save by not wasting. I do NOT have a stockpile at all, but I'm going to get started on that! I would love a bit of extra money for savings! We do try this in smaller portions but I think a large portion of saving from not grocery shopping would feel great.
    I'm Canadian, and like Supise said, we just don't see great deals (even with coupons) like that here. Makes me so mad to see the grocery prices in the States compared to ours! It's ridiculous!!
    But this is very cool.... gonna start workign on it today
    I know that there are some that would feel uncomfortable using up a stockpile - thus not having an "emergency" stock to fall back on.... I'm just not that worried about it.... and I have to admit, the pile got a bit carried away.

31 boxes of cereal is just too much for anyone.

Sooooo - it feels great so far that I've only spent $16.05 on groceries. (even if it's only been 8 days) - so I really wonder how long I could stretch it - can I make it into March?

I'm stumped on Canadian prices - I wonder if you can supplement your grocery budget by signing up for samples also?

Arlana's Newest Freebies - Updated Daily

here's a link to a site I like to find freebies on.

Remember, it may just be two uses of a shampoo, but that's two shampoos you didn't pay for

Well, for me it's toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, soaps/body washes, rice, cereal, canned goods, laundry det, dish det, ketchup, mustard, etc.

those are just off the top of my head - I guess it depends on your individual needs.

My goal is to never spend over $1 on anything unless I have to.

so I won't spend more than $1 on any cereal, or any snack food, or any cleaner, etc.

ONLY if I have to - so that would be meats, dairy, pet food, etc - those are almost always over $1.

That's my rule of thumb, so I search for sales to aid me in staying within those limits.

so if Canadian prices are higher, what's your bottom line price? Would you like to stay under $2 for any item?

see what I mean?

I think that alone will help build a stockpile. Tell yourself that you can't buy it unless it's on sale. Then when it's on sale for under your limit, buy as many as you can. (I base that number on how many coupons I have for that specific item)

If you can't get decent coupons in Canada, I'm stumped. Can you use printables? Can you get manf. coupons from the states & use them? (say I mail you some, will your stores take them?)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I"m just curious. How much would a big box of granola bars go for? Here, it's $10. It's outrageous. And the prices keep getting higher and higher. No wonder we're in a recession. Duhhhhhh.
    I do use coupons, they just don't cover as much as yours do, since your prices are lower to begin with. I believe that the coupon is generally only good for Ontario, etc.
    DH wasn't really in on the stockpiling idea because we have no room to store it. But I CAN store the smaller items like toothpaste when it goes on a good sale, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in.

I need to clean out the freezers and use up some of what I have.

It also helps that I spent $224 at the grocery on Jan 31st! (But I saved $183 after coupons and sales!)

I will have to let DH stop at the grocery store and get produce and milk. No way I can buy enough milk for the 6 kids for the month in one stop! And even if I could....where would I store it?! LOL (And no, they won't drink powdered milk....tried it before and they did OK for 3 months until they realized in June that the jug said it expired in April! ) Once they were on to me it was over! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

so I failed this. Went the BF's and on Saturday got up and there was nothing to eat except bacon (nothing to go with it at all). I broke down and went to Hardee's only to decide I didn't want anything on their menu. Then went to Harris Teeter and spent $15.00 on stuff for breakfast and lunch. Saturday evening we went back and I spent another $15.00 on stuff for dinner.

So far that has been it though. So not so bad, but the challage was not to spend anything this month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    so I failed this. Went the BF's and on Saturday got up and there was nothing to eat except bacon (nothing to go with it at all). I broke down and went to Hardee's only to decide I didn't want anything on their menu. Then went to Harris Teeter and spent $15.00 on stuff for breakfast and lunch. Saturday evening we went back and I spent another $15.00 on stuff for dinner.

So far that has been it though. So not so bad, but the challage was not to spend anything this month.
    well, I don't think that's terrible at all.... afterall, you needed to eat. You still faired better to buy groceries vs. eating out/fast food.

the month is still young. don't give up yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I shopped, but only for fresh produce, and diapers. I still spent over $30.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast