The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 105
Page 105 of 328 FirstFirst ... 55595102103104105106107108115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 4910
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post

Did find one really cool deal in the dollar store. I was cashed out and happened to glance at the rack by the register. Marked down brownie mix for .50 each. Box was damaged. So I picked up one and went to pay for it, and the gal said that was not the right price. I just looked at her. Then she said the price was better than that. 10 cents each. Okay.........
    So I went back around the register and got the other 2 boxes. 30 cents total. Each box is 10 ounces. I can't buy the scratch ingredients for that.....
    Woo hoo! Great find! I always watch for the damaged boxes and cans but they are never marked down like that. Lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_tiger_36 View Post
    No spend day but I did send off the CC payment a couple days early - PIF!!! Yes, I still have the $15 in my pocket that has to last me until payday on friday.
    I knew you could do it girl and you still have money in your pocket! CONGRATS!

Quote Originally Posted by oheoh's momma View Post
    Today was a no spend day....However I did go to lunch with my friend her treat..next time it will be mine....
    Glad you had a nice time!

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    Hey, I'm supposed to argue in a paper this week the merits of no price gouging legislation, and you guys are tainting my results, since a common argument of conventional economists is that if there is no price gouging, people will wipe out supplies, so less people benefit. Fortunately, I know you are all prepared, so you wouldn't really be clearing those shelves close to a disaster...right??
    I'm not ready.

I am missing some of my quotes! ..... let me think.....

FN - I agree with the OP, white button down shirts are hard to find in pristine condition at the second hand store and yours wasn't THAT expensive so I think you done good.

Bridge -

Today was a no spend day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can never find white shirts at the Goodwill either..and black pants always have those little piles on them..(pull spots) I hope that is the right word..

lady the brownie mixes for Valentines day were still a 1.00 here..so u got a good deal...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today was a spend day. Some necessary and some not. DH has an interview at the end of this week and he needed fancy shoes.

Oh yeah!! Our new chickens laid an egg finally!! A $215 dollar egg!! ($45 for the chickens, $150 for the chicken tractor, and $35 for bedding, food, and grit.) Of course, we don't know which one laid it, And, of course, it happened on the day that we needed to run into Portland and we were gone when she laid it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Zakity! a $215 egg. Hiliarious!! keep'm coming baby!

Thanks Bridge and OM.. I don't feel so bad buying the white shirt. It's a classic and will go with everything in my minimal closet.

Today I will not be spending on anything necessary or unnecessary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Goodwill nearly always has white button down shirts and black pants. Little Miss had plenty to try on when she needed one for concert. ( white shirt and black pants are the required uniform) the teacher also collects black pants and white shirts and black shoes handed down and bought at goodwill to stock the closet where kids that need something for the concert can come and borrow it.

Of course I am always on the look out for White shirts and black pants ( as are all my friends) I am sure murphy would kick in and if I needed one asap there would be none.

jmd
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Interesting argument JMD... I'm curious what other arguments for/against it are. feel free to state your position here

I'm thinking.. the only one who benefits in price gouging is the merchant. They get greedy and take advantage of the opportunity. There's plenty to go around - you just have to wait for the next shipment to come in. Assuming there will be one. lol

And.. nope.. I'm not ready at all all.
    According to economists/theorists, these are some reasons price gouging is necessary:

1) If the prices remain the same, the first people who reach the goods will take as many as possible, leaving more people without any (example often used: people needing ice for their insulin). If a bag of ice costs $12 (an example from our local Hurricane Fran), then people are more likely to buy less bags (yes, the boys from the next county over were arrested). So, it's not just the merchants who get greedy.
    2) Local merchants will be compensated for planning for and keeping extra stock rather than using standard "just-in-time" inventory controls.
    3) Local merchants will be incentivized to go to the trouble of opening and staffing their stores during difficult times.
    3) People with goods in other areas will be incentivized to make the extra effort to be innovative (e.g., open up transportation routes) and bring in goods that otherwise wouldn't be available.

Some states have a percentage increase that must not be exceeded, while other states just use a term like "unconscionable" price increase. I'm going to suggest a multi-layered system that includes tax breaks, reimbursements, and loyalty programs. I am by no means an economist, but I know how we can condition people with catalinas

jmd
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    Oh yeah!! Our new chickens laid an egg finally!! A $215 dollar egg!! ($45 for the chickens, $150 for the chicken tractor, and $35 for bedding, food, and grit.)
    Sounds like my $20 potted green pepper. (Please don't tell my mother, who grew most all of our vegetables and many fruits).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

According to economists/theorists, these are some reasons price gouging is necessary:

1) If the prices remain the same, the first people who reach the goods will take as many as possible, leaving more people without any (example often used: people needing ice for their insulin). If a bag of ice costs $12 (an example from our local Hurricane Fran), then people are more likely to buy less bags (yes, the boys from the next county over were arrested). So, it's not just the merchants who get greedy.
    2) Local merchants will be compensated for planning for and keeping extra stock rather than using standard "just-in-time" inventory controls.
    3) Local merchants
    to go to the trouble of opening and staffing their stores during difficult times.
    3) People with goods in other areas will be incentivized to make the extra effort to be innovative (e.g., open up transportation routes) and bring in goods that otherwise wouldn't be available.

Some states have a percentage increase that must not be exceeded, while other states just use a term like "unconscionable" price increase. I'm going to suggest a multi-layered system that includes tax breaks, reimbursements, and loyalty programs. I am by no means an economist, but I know how we can condition people with catalinas
    ...and us villagers will be incentivized to just not spend at all.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made 20 dollars hubs took 20 dollars lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No spend yesterday or today.
    I'm sick with a crummy head cold......wishing the clock would hurry up so I can go home and go back to bed.
    I wanted to go get a cheeseburger for lunch..but it seemed like it would take too much energy so I stayed in and ate my lunch I had.

WTG!! Alaska!! I think you should use the $15 to celebrate!! {I know I am encouraging you to be spendy....sorry)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry- I have been busy over in the Compact Thread - FN has me fired-up....

Here is what is going on:

FN and I are starting a challenge to eat on $100 (or less) for the month. We have talked about this for a bit - and poor FN, if we don't get going... (I think she just might crack up )

So, to help her keep her sanity - we are finally starting our challenge. (I wanted to wait until I had no food in the house, and had to buy NEW things - just so I could keep track of my spending) - but, I am going into the kitchen and doing the math - buying things from myself that I already own with pretend money. (Everyone loves pretend money- right?) - well REAL money is better....

I will start a new thread on Sat morning (coz that is the official start date) - ok FN????
    And - you know me, the more company the merrier!

Here's the post that I just did over on the Compact Thread:

So this is what I am thinking -

I'm going into the kitchen to put together a 'stockpile' of foods that I can buy from myself, and eat on for the next 30 days. I am not planning on spending all my money on this trip. There might be some items that I want to purchase from the 'real' grocery store during the month. If not, I will continue to 'purchase' items from the cabinets & freezers.

I am starting from scratch - no foods allowed that are already stockpiled. Everything must be bought with the $100 that I have to spend. (I know we talked about using what you already have in the house) - but I want my challenge to be about eating on that $100 in it's entirety. (Everyone do it how they see fit - no hard-core, across-the-board rules here) - everyone make their own. And no extra foods from any sources....

(And by the way - as soon as I can figure out the details of all this, I will stop pigging up this thread, and start a new one devoted solely to this endeavor).

So I don't intend to cost out every meal that I make. I will have a stockpile - I will eat from said stockpile. When stockpile is depleted - well let's hope it's the end of the month!

What I will do is list out my daily meals (hopefully with lots of pictures)... (and then everyone can go to town telling me how I am going to get scurvy & such - lol). But remember people, I have eaten this way my entire adult life. If I haven't gotten scurvy (or been malnourished) by now, it isn't happening. These are all foods that I currently eat, (probably in the manner that I eat them already) - I have just never kept track of it all in black & white. (In fact, in an effort to impress you all - I will probably eat better than I normally do on a given day)....

And since there is no room for junk foods (given to me for FREE or not) - I will probably finally get rid of those nagging 10 lbs.

DH will be out of town from this Sat to the following Sunday - this looks like as good as time as any to start....
    So from 2-23 thru 3-24.... let the challenge rein on....

FN- are you ready?????

So- who else is in for the challenge??? Deb-CAT????

jmd
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    FN and I are starting a challenge to eat on $100 (or less) for the month. We have talked about this for a bit - and poor FN, if we don't get going... (I think she just might crack up )
    Can you post some links, to FV and another one if useful? I did a google search, but most of the pages I found looked old.

I look forward to cheering you all on and learning some great tips!

jmd
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    If I haven't gotten scurvy (or been malnourished) by now, it isn't happening.
    P.S. Are you allowed vitamin/min supplements? My brain is damaged too much not to have extra fish oil

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Can you post some links, to FV and another one if useful? I did a google search, but most of the pages I found looked old.

I look forward to cheering you all on and learning some great tips!
    You mean links of people eating on $3 a day (that is about what it works out to) ?

P.S. Are you allowed vitamin/min supplements? My brain is damaged too much not to have extra fish oil
    Absolutely! My menu will include ground Flax Seed & a Vit B12 supplement (I am a vegan - I take B12 every 3 days, coz there is no known plant source for such)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My, my .... aren't you all quiet in here tonight!

To catch up -

Today was a boring, uneventful day. Didn't really get much accomplished. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little more productive.

Didn't leave the house - so it was another no-spend day here. Ya know, I really didn't realize how easy this 'necessary spending only' was going to be. When I started the challenge, I figured within a few months I would be having 'cold sweats' & dreams of being locked inside thrift stores.

But that is totally the opposite of what is happening. I don't even want to spend anymore. I go to work at the grocery, and the items don't tempt me. (Not even the reduced racks) - it's just become a mindset that "I don't need anything at the moment" - the key word here being, NEED. I am not even stalking all the racks.... (maybe things will change when the stockpiles run out) - but for now... I am enjoying every moment of this no-spending bliss.