The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 106
Page 106 of 328 FirstFirst ... 65696103104105106107108109116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 4910
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

no spending but not feeling good today..hugs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oheoh's momma View Post
    Hope you feel better soon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    Today was a spend day. Some necessary and some not. DH has an interview at the end of this week and he needed fancy shoes.

Oh yeah!! Our new chickens laid an egg finally!! A $215 dollar egg!! ($45 for the chickens, $150 for the chicken tractor, and $35 for bedding, food, and grit.) Of course, we don't know which one laid it, And, of course, it happened on the day that we needed to run into Portland and we were gone when she laid it.
    Good luck to your DH at his interview! and WOW!!!! I bet that egg will taste AMAZING at that price! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    Sounds like my $20 potted green pepper. (Please don't tell my mother, who grew most all of our vegetables and many fruits).
    I hope it was delicious!

I made 20 dollars hubs took 20 dollars lol
    Better than not having the $20 to take!

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    No spend yesterday or today.
    I'm sick with a crummy head cold......wishing the clock would hurry up so I can go home and go back to bed.
    I wanted to go get a cheeseburger for lunch..but it seemed like it would take too much energy so I stayed in and ate my lunch I had.
    I hope you feel better soon! Your lunch (I am sure) was better for you than the cheeseburger would have been!

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    Sorry- I have been busy over in the Compact Thread - FN has me fired-up....

Here is what is going on:

FN and I are starting a challenge to eat on $100 (or less) for the month. We have talked about this for a bit - and poor FN, if we don't get going... (I think she just might crack up )

So, to help her keep her sanity - we are finally starting our challenge. (I wanted to wait until I had no food in the house, and had to buy NEW things - just so I could keep track of my spending) - but, I am going into the kitchen and doing the math - buying things from myself that I already own with pretend money. (Everyone loves pretend money- right?) - well REAL money is better....

I will start a new thread on Sat morning (coz that is the official start date) - ok FN????
    And - you know me, the more company the merrier!

Here's the post that I just did over on the Compact Thread:

So this is what I am thinking -

I'm going into the kitchen to put together a 'stockpile' of foods that I can buy from myself, and eat on for the next 30 days. I am not planning on spending all my money on this trip. There might be some items that I want to purchase from the 'real' grocery store during the month. If not, I will continue to 'purchase' items from the cabinets & freezers.

I am starting from scratch - no foods allowed that are already stockpiled. Everything must be bought with the $100 that I have to spend. (I know we talked about using what you already have in the house) - but I want my challenge to be about eating on that $100 in it's entirety. (Everyone do it how they see fit - no hard-core, across-the-board rules here) - everyone make their own. And no extra foods from any sources....

(And by the way - as soon as I can figure out the details of all this, I will stop pigging up this thread, and start a new one devoted solely to this endeavor).

So I don't intend to cost out every meal that I make. I will have a stockpile - I will eat from said stockpile. When stockpile is depleted - well let's hope it's the end of the month!

What I will do is list out my daily meals (hopefully with lots of pictures)... (and then everyone can go to town telling me how I am going to get scurvy & such - lol). But remember people, I have eaten this way my entire adult life. If I haven't gotten scurvy (or been malnourished) by now, it isn't happening. These are all foods that I currently eat, (probably in the manner that I eat them already) - I have just never kept track of it all in black & white. (In fact, in an effort to impress you all - I will probably eat better than I normally do on a given day)....

And since there is no room for junk foods (given to me for FREE or not) - I will probably finally get rid of those nagging 10 lbs.

DH will be out of town from this Sat to the following Sunday - this looks like as good as time as any to start....
    So from 2-23 thru 3-24.... let the challenge rein on....

FN- are you ready?????

So- who else is in for the challenge??? Deb-CAT????
    This sounds like fun but I am going to follow along and cheer you on for a while first. I am trying to wrap my head around what you are doing (sorry, I am REALLY tired tonight! ) Dh has taken over cooking the dinners now that I am working until 6pm each weeknight and I don't have a CLUE what he uses....he is like those chefs on tv that keep adding things to the pot!!! Once I see how it works, I might be able to work things out at this end and jump in.

Absolutely! My menu will include ground Flax Seed & a Vit B12 supplement (I am a vegan - I take B12 every 3 days, coz there is no known plant source for such)
    I didn't know that about B12. What does the flax seed do you for you? Just curious as I add it to smoothies but that's it.

I hope you feel better soon!

Busy, busy day. I am BEAT. It was a no spend day though!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post

I didn't know that about B12. What does the flax seed do you for you? Just curious as I add it to smoothies but that's it.
    Yup, it's true about the B12. And your body can only absorb so much at a time - so you space it out over every few days and that way you stay 'doped up' - lol

Flax seed is a plant source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids (the same thing that animal-based fish oils give you).... but you have to use GROUND - as the body cannot digest a solid flax seed, and eliminates it without getting any real benefit from it. (And it also has to be kept refrigerated (or frozen) or it 'dies' of sort)....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup, it's true about the B12. And your body can only absorb so much at a time - so you space it out over every few days and that way you stay 'doped up' - lol
    I have just recently started taking B12 (vegetarian, thinking about transitioning to vegan very soon) due to anemia. I have been taking it every day, though, and didn't know about spacing it out. How many mcg are you taking every few days? I was starting to wonder if I was taking too much and if it is causing headaches I've been having recently.
    Tia ~ Slowly Drowning
    DH, Brad married 10/31/07
    Kissa GitanaVirginia RaeKiwi Louise
    Delilah Moon Posie May
    EF $0/$1,000
    Snowball
    CC#1(C1T)$1,444 CC#2(C1T2)$1,774

Truck Loan $7,[email protected]%

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Starting to formulate my thought for the February review. This challenge has generated much thought on wants. Still not sure my lightbulb moments and realizations are what this thread was designed to create.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiajean View Post
    I have just recently started taking B12 (vegetarian, thinking about transitioning to vegan very soon) due to anemia. I have been taking it every day, though, and didn't know about spacing it out. How many mcg are you taking every few days? I was starting to wonder if I was taking too much and if it is causing headaches I've been having recently.
    Hm~ I don't know what to tell you since it is due to anemia. Better ask your DR on that one.

I take it because there is no other known source (except for vitamin fortified foods) - they say now that you should take between 2000-2500 a day. (That is what I am reading these days) - back when I started taking it I was advised that anything over 1000 was eliminated from the body, because it is a water-soluble vitamin, and it cannot bind with some kind of protein in your stomach (can't remember what that kind of stuff is called) - so it was overkill taking a higher dose at one time.

I take 500 a day every other day (but it is a pure B12, not a B vitamin blend) - for me that has been enough (coz I do eat other foods) - this is just a safeguard that I get some of the vitamin at least.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do not intend to purchase anything today.

I will also use this thread to note out what I buy in food. Instead of just pointing out - 'bought groceries'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here are some pics of goodies from the grocery ~
    The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~-pictures-001.jpg
    These are trays that apples come packed in (Gala apples to be exact) - they come in stacked in big boxes.
    The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~-pictures-002.jpg
    I turn them into displays for the market (this one has been cut down)
    The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~-jasper-farmer-market-007.jpg
    Here's a better example of what they looked like last year (they are super lightweight to carry and they stack great) - and it makes it easy for people to dig thru them.
    The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~-pictures-003.jpg
    These are boxes that Roma Tomatoes came in. Now they are housing our tax papers for the year.
    The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~-pictures-004.jpg
    Here's the greenhouse these days...
    The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~-pictures-005.jpg
    ...and some current residents...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Svs! that's a lot of fun! I love that you're repurposing the toss aways.

You're greenhouse is coming along great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Two days in a row no spend. Nasty winter weather. Glad I made a run the other day to get a few groceries. Hubby got 1 hr OT yesterday and looking like several hours today. I am trying to keep the OT corraled so when he starts whining this summer for new tires for his truck, the money will be there. The last set came from a garage sale and he is on year 2 with them.

I have another dime story to tell. So I am printing off a few things with my printer at home and come to conclusion I am within a few sheets of running out. So I know I have some in the other room, I just have to remember which box I have them stored in. So I dig one out, and it is a 500 page ream of ivory color sheets. 8.5 x 11 inches. I went to a sale a few years back and it was a printing shop going out of business. Some garage sale type goodies and a whole lot of new paper in boxes. So I think it was day 2 , I was there and they wanted things gone at a faster pace. They had the reams at 500 pages each, marked down to 10 cents. I bought 10. Did not care that they were not white. Last ream I used was pale yellow. I love it when I got what I need stashed and it was a bargain

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

today is a no spend day for me...

Like Imagine I am evaluating my wants...
    I don't feel guilty if I purchase something..I think this comes from a life of poverty...with 4 kids even when we were not as poor 4 teenagers can make u feel it...

I guess everything in moderation..

Imagine not to steal your thoughts or words, but I do not feel this is the thread for me...
    I don't track my no spend days. I go to the grocery store maybe 2 to 3 times a month..I live with in a half a block from it..cheaper not to go..helps me stay in budget.

I go to the dollar store 1x a month a block away.... and wally 1x a month..that is 4 -5 spend day a month and maybe we go out 1x a month..total of 6 spend days with the exception of bills and gas in the car....

so why note it....
    everyone is so excited a bout a no spend day and I am like ok..now me on the other hand If I get a pack of socks on clearance for 1-2 for 6-8 pair ( or whatever) or something a yard sale...this makes me feel like I have accomplished more with my $

hugs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    Two days in a row no spend. Nasty winter weather. Glad I made a run the other day to get a few groceries. Hubby got 1 hr OT yesterday and looking like several hours today. I am trying to keep the OT corraled so when he starts whining this summer for new tires for his truck, the money will be there. The last set came from a garage sale and he is on year 2 with them.

I have another dime story to tell. So I am printing off a few things with my printer at home and come to conclusion I am within a few sheets of running out. So I know I have some in the other room, I just have to remember which box I have them stored in. So I dig one out, and it is a 500 page ream of ivory color sheets. 8.5 x 11 inches. I went to a sale a few years back and it was a printing shop going out of business. Some garage sale type goodies and a whole lot of new paper in boxes. So I think it was day 2 , I was there and they wanted things gone at a faster pace. They had the reams at 500 pages each, marked down to 10 cents. I bought 10. Did not care that they were not white. Last ream I used was pale yellow. I love it when I got what I need stashed and it was a bargain

that is what I am talking about..way to go.... hugs lady

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hello....here is your "snotty" friend.

Yes I am still sick and yes I am at work. If one more person says you should go home....we don't want you germ-ing everything up....I am going to knock there lights out!! I stay in my cube, I have stayed away from everyone, constantly wash my hands, promptly throw my tissues in my trash can and dump it every evening in the big dumpster so no one else has to. I got a head cold, no fever and IMO not sick enough to stay home, miserable for me,yes. But why are others so darn concerned. We all know if I had stayed home they would be bitching that I was not at work.

Oh and I am going to TOTALLY blame my unnecessary spending today on feeling bad and being mad at co-workers!
    I have bought a over-priced $0.85 pk of peanut m&m's out of the vending machine
    Went to thrift on my lunch and spent $9.52, really all totally unnecessary. They had 50% off all clothes.
    I bought:
    • 2 Indian cast coin things for J ($1), he'll love them. I should keep them for a gift, but I know I will give them to him tonight

• pancake ring ($0.40) and even though I am getting pretty good at getting them all the same size just pouring, for that price I thought I would try it.
    • 2 pr pants for me (back-ups of my favorite brands/colors) ($1 ea)
    • 4 shirts for my spring wardrobe ($4.25), one was a Eddie Bauer wrinkle free button down, and one was a J.Jill cardigan some of my favorite brands
    • Fleece pullover for J ($1.25)

Oh and got the lunch pizza special at the gas station for $5.45

So I have blew $15.82 on totally unnecessary stuff of and just to add to that nice number I stopped by the bank and made $1525 in payments. Whew......good thing I don't get sick too often, LOL!

Good news I am exhausted and will finish out the work day and go home and go to bed!! So no more spending.
    SvS hear that...no I am not having deep discussions till bedtime hours tonight. I luv ya, but I am going to bed!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

today is a no spend day for me...

Like Imagine I am evaluating my wants...
    I don't feel guilty if I purchase something..I think this comes from a life of poverty...with 4 kids even when we were not as poor 4 teenagers can make u feel it...

I guess everything in moderation..

Imagine not to steal your thoughts or words, but I do not feel this is the thread for me...
    I don't track my no spend days. I go to the grocery store maybe 2 to 3 times a month..I live with in a half a block from it..cheaper not to go..helps me stay in budget.

I go to the dollar store 1x a month a block away.... and wally 1x a month..that is 4 -5 spend day a month and maybe we go out 1x a month..total of 6 spend days with the exception of bills and gas in the car....

so why note it....
    everyone is so excited a bout a no spend day and I am like ok..now me on the other hand If I get a pack of socks on clearance for 1-2 for 6-8 pair ( or whatever) or something a yard sale...this makes me feel like I have accomplished more with my $

hugs
    I don't feel guilty about making any purchases - (not for the past few years anyway) -
    And you can see by my posts that I don't spend my time in any stores for entertainment...

For years - I ran around buying things 'beating the system' at their own game. (Or so I thought) - good deals - steals, made me almost giddy. But in the end - I still bought, I still consumed things that I could in reality have lived a very good life without.

But now-a-days, having days where I don't buy into 'consumerism' makes me happy - it's not about what I bought, how much, or even what I paid for it. I just want to be able to think back on the day and say to myself, "yea, I didn't buy into anything today" - (and no, I don't feel any deprivation making that statement either) - for me, my contentment these days comes from NOT buying stuff.... By not buying, I have opened a whole new world to me, that includes thinking outside the box, and finally letting my brain do the things that it was intended to do all along - think....

I hope you don't leave the thread - but it's ultimately your decision. Just know that we all love you here, and value your insights... but you are the one who has to decide if it's a good use of your time or not.