The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 12
Page 12 of 328 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So I needed to buy something today - well, I didn't need to buy it, I wanted to buy it. It's small & simple though. It's a crochet hook.

There is a kitty toy that I want to make that requires using a 'chain stitch' (which I had no idea what it was or how to make it) - so I Youtube'd the idea. And there I learned how to make a slip knot (which took a dozen videos to get the hang of) - and then the chain stitch (which was a little easier to comprehend) - but, I have no crochet hook. Bummer.

I called Dollar General & Family Dollar (the only stores around here) - nope. Now in reality I want to just pick one up from GW or St. Vincents for .20, but that will have to wait - I can't make a 15 mile trip to do that. But I want one NOW!!!

Hmmmm~ what would Laura Ingalls have done?

Well, she would have marched her little butt out onto the prairie and got herself a stick- that is what she would have done! And then she would have sat herself down under a tree somewhere and whittled herself a crochet hook. So - if she can do that - why can't I???

I didn't march out into the snow-covered yard and dig for branches though, and it's a little cold sitting under the trees out there - So I only went into the craft closet and got myself a dowel rod. Then into the kitchen for a sharp knife & the cutting board.

And there - I crafted myself a wooden crochet hook. And I have to say - Laura would be mightley proud!

So now, I can crochet my chain stitch for my kitty toys.... ah ~ the mother of all inventions....

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SvsS - Did I read that right? You made your own crochet hook? AND had a No Spend Day?!

Before I went to Wal-Mart I stopped off at Costco and returned a Christmas present DD2 was given from my MIL. They were a pack of books for $9.99. I got something like $10.49 back on store credit. So I went into the store and bought a 6 pack of soya milk for $8.99. Yay! Free...in a sense. DD2 needs this kind of milk since the lactose in regular milk bothers her and she coughs and gets a plugged nose. (Hopefully DH doesn't ask me if I returned the books and where the $ is.)

Also before Wal-Mart I stopped of at a grocery store where I returned 2 bottles of unopened, generic (their store product) of allergy medicine. We didn't need them because we bought a few bottles in the States for 1/4 the price! Surprisingly I had no difficulty in returning the medicine and the lady gave me the change of $16 something in cash. YAY! In a little spot in my van I found another $4 or so in change. I'm now up $20. I'm going to hang onto the cash and save it for haircuts for the girls. They both need one badly.

I went to the Wal-Mart Vision Centre with the 6 kids. Got them all some free fries to eat (thanks to some Halloween coupons I have) while we looked at the glasses selection. I'm sad to say that I discovered that our benefits cover 50% up to $250 ONCE every 24 months. So if you don't use it you lose it. Since we bought her last two pairs of glasses in June of 2012, then we'll have to wait another year and a have for vision benefits for her. So it's going to be 100% out of pocket until then.

I looked at what they had. The cheapest glasses (not including prescription and scratch) is $29. Plus $70 for the prescription lenses and scratch coating....plus the 13% taxes of course. IF I were to get the same pair she already has it would be $69 + $70 + taxes.

The optician said her prescription is very mild so if I searched for her missing pairs for a week or two, she should be fine. I left without buying anything. I will go back there or to Costco if push comes to shove, but I'm going to search the house and vehicles for a week. Hopefully they'll turn up.

This evening we're going to a Bible study at some friends house. I volunteered (since it's a potluck) to bring the drinks...iced tea. I have cans and cans and cans of iced tea I got FREE a few months ago thanks to a coupon promo on the boxes. So my contribution is FREE! (Of course, nobody will know that except for my DH.)

All in all...today so far is a No Spend Day! Guess that's the clubhouse I'm hanging out in today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    SvsS - Did I read that right? You made your own crochet hook? AND had a No Spend Day?!

Before I went to Wal-Mart I stopped off at Costco and returned a Christmas present DD2 was given from my MIL. They were a pack of books for $9.99. I got something like $10.49 back on store credit. So I went into the store and bought a 6 pack of soya milk for $8.99. Yay! Free...in a sense. DD2 needs this kind of milk since the lactose in regular milk bothers her and she coughs and gets a plugged nose. (Hopefully DH doesn't ask me if I returned the books and where the $ is.)

Also before Wal-Mart I stopped of at a grocery store where I returned 2 bottles of unopened, generic (their store product) of allergy medicine. We didn't need them because we bought a few bottles in the States for 1/4 the price! Surprisingly I had no difficulty in returning the medicine and the lady gave me the change of $16 something in cash. YAY! In a little spot in my van I found another $4 or so in change. I'm now up $20. I'm going to hang onto the cash and save it for haircuts for the girls. They both need one badly.

I went to the Wal-Mart Vision Centre with the 6 kids. Got them all some free fries to eat (thanks to some Halloween coupons I have) while we looked at the glasses selection. I'm sad to say that I discovered that our benefits cover 50% up to $250 ONCE every 24 months. So if you don't use it you lose it. Since we bought her last two pairs of glasses in June of 2012, then we'll have to wait another year and a have for vision benefits for her. So it's going to be 100% out of pocket until then.

I looked at what they had. The cheapest glasses (not including prescription and scratch) is $29. Plus $70 for the prescription lenses and scratch coating....plus the 13% taxes of course. IF I were to get the same pair she already has it would be $69 + $70 + taxes.

The optician said her prescription is very mild so if I searched for her missing pairs for a week or two, she should be fine. I left without buying anything. I will go back there or to Costco if push comes to shove, but I'm going to search the house and vehicles for a week. Hopefully they'll turn up.

This evening we're going to a Bible study at some friends house. I volunteered (since it's a potluck) to bring the drinks...iced tea. I have cans and cans and cans of iced tea I got FREE a few months ago thanks to a coupon promo on the packages. So my contribution is FREE! (Of course, nobody will know that except for my DH.)
    Here's an idea ~ offer a prize to the kids if they find the glasses.... (anything really, even something you have a coupon for. Or maybe an extended bedtime hour or something.) Tell them everyone benefits if they are found - so get together, form a posse and find those glasses!

Yup, I made my own hook alright! As for the no spend day - well, it's still early - so hopefully I won't screw that one up.

I still have not gone for fresh bananas for DH (and so far he is handling it well - lol) - today I used some of freezer ones and I mixed them into the pancake batter before I made them (usually I top the pancakes w/fresh ones) - and dh didn't complain. YEA!

Made an appt this morning for my yearly exam (YUK) next Friday- and since it is an hour drive each way (into the BIG city- haha) - I am picking up a few mystery shops to do along the way to pay for the gas. I will also be armed with my list of needed items (and so far that consists of only coffee filters, a used coffee pot from GW - I am still using the broken one drug down from the attic and it is a nightmare - out to the trash it goes asap, and some hair coloring - since I am going to start coloring my own- ) Hopefully this list will not continue to grow before next Friday. If I could figure out how to make any of the above items - believe me I would. But I am so drawing the line on making my own hair color. The last thing I need is to have purple hair when I am done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess I win the price. I found them! Yay!...but what a waste of time (other than getting the soya milk with the store credit and money back from the medicine) of a morning. If I calculate the km's driven and the cost per kilometer, it cost me $3.90 in gas. But I saved a crap-load of money. I told the girls that they can still both have some chocolate bar for looking a bit when they got home. But (for everyone's information) I found the glasses on DD1's bed headboard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    So I needed to buy something today - well, I didn't need to buy it, I wanted to buy it. It's small & simple though. It's a crochet hook.

There is a kitty toy that I want to make that requires using a 'chain stitch' (which I had no idea what it was or how to make it) - so I Youtube'd the idea. And there I learned how to make a slip knot (which took a dozen videos to get the hang of) - and then the chain stitch (which was a little easier to comprehend) - but, I have no crochet hook. Bummer.

I called Dollar General & Family Dollar (the only stores around here) - nope. Now in reality I want to just pick one up from GW or St. Vincents for .20, but that will have to wait - I can't make a 15 mile trip to do that. But I want one NOW!!!

Hmmmm~ what would Laura Ingalls have done?

Well, she would have marched her little butt out onto the prairie and got herself a stick- that is what she would have done! And then she would have sat herself down under a tree somewhere and whittled herself a crochet hook. So - if she can do that - why can't I???

I didn't march out into the snow-covered yard and dig for branches though, and it's a little cold sitting under the trees out there - So I only went into the craft closet and got myself a dowel rod. Then into the kitchen for a sharp knife & the cutting board.

And there - I crafted myself a wooden crochet hook. And I have to say - Laura would be mightley proud!

So now, I can crochet my chain stitch for my kitty toys.... ah ~ the mother of all inventions....
    Have you tried finger crocheting/ knitting? We did this with girl scout camp. Fun and relaxing. You might enjoy it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Have you tried finger crocheting/ knitting? We did this with girl scout camp. Fun and relaxing. You might enjoy it.
    No - I never have. I can be a bit all thumbs sometimes - but I will google it. (I love google - lol)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in too! Yesterday I bought a small jar container with the latch to store my dipping spice mix & I bought a Christmas pin 50% off & a cheese spreader knife cause dh broke my new one ugggg! This one was $2.25 not bad. Bought nothing today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well no income this week at all..so no spending...also no paying bills which are necessary..we are eating what is here...we are babysitting today so I am making homemade chicken tenders and Macaroni and cheese.he is 2 so he should eat that... I also am sick so I did not work today..so I missed my extra ....Hope I can eat.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Had my car inspected today. $30. Ugh... A necessary evil.

Monday I will get my plate sticker. $28.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Soory to hear you are sick OH. Hope you feel better asap!

SS a whittled crochet hook? Wow! i would likely whittle my finger off

QM yeah on the glasses!

Imagine I have never heard of finger crochet or knit. I shall have to hit youtube.

I spent $24 today at Aldi's. I have a hoard of teens for dinner tonight plus needed a few things. I bought

16 inch Take and bake cheese pizza
    2 bags .99 chicps for the hoard
    ground beef
    tortilla shells
    lettuce
    2 dozen eggs
    1 gallon milk
    loaves wheat bread

Can you guess what their choices are tonight? The pizza (I have pepperoni here to add) and soft shell tacos. They can have the chips for munchies later tonight. Dh and I will be having Taco salad since we dont do gluten tortillas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well in my head this is a no spend day but I spent 2.11. So this is how I am justifying it. It goes in the grocery budget. When I shopped I intentionally didn't buy laundry soap at the grocery store because the cheapest bottle I could find was 6.99 and it was a brand I hated. I decided to get it at sav a lot the next day but I didn't get it. Today I ran out and had to have it. It was the only thing I bought and it was from the grocery budget. So I am counting it as a no spend day .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamielane View Post
    Well in my head this is a no spend day but I spent 2.11. So this is how I am justifying it. It goes in the grocery budget. When I shopped I intentionally didn't buy laundry soap at the grocery store because the cheapest bottle I could find was 6.99 and it was a brand I hated. I decided to get it at sav a lot the next day but I didn't get it. Today I ran out and had to have it. It was the only thing I bought and it was from the grocery budget. So I am counting it as a no spend day .
    We'll give you that one! I feel the same way about fresh bananas - I would buy an entire months worth at one time, but obviously I cannot. Anymore I can't seem to keep them much longer than a few days. So, because DH eats one everyday - I have to buy them every few days. Most days it is all I buy, but it has to be this way.

I talked earlier about trying to find another coffeepot next week @ GW. Well, I put on the old thinkin' cap and asked myself if this really necessary. Other than cursing and threatening to throw the current pot against the wall each morning - have I really tried to do anything towards fixing it?

So I googled the problem - came up with a bunch of solutions and then took the darn thing apart. I cleaned every part of it with a toothbrush & soap/vinegar. I have run numerous pots of vinegar thru it. It seems to be working quite nicely now at the moment. But the real test will be tomorrow morning when we make DH's coffee. If it continues to overflow & act like a brat - well, there is nothing more I can do. It will be banished from the house forever. If it is going to cooperate - well, I just saved another $5-10 by not buying a replacement.

And, as an added bonus~ all this research led me to the people that are making their own coffee filters. (Yes, people actually do this) - there is a whole 'nother world out there that I continue to discover each day... Anyway, they make them from muslin or thinly woven cotton. They can be washed out and used over and over. And yes, paper coffee filters are cheap, but they are also using up valuable resources to make, and then end up being disposed of - (though in my case they go into the garden to decompose) - so - after I get the coffee pot problem solved, next I battle the filters...

(as for the hair dye - well, I am not touching that one) - lol

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today is going to end as a no spend. Yay!

*blocking doorway to the No Spend Clubhouse*

Jamielane, I'll agree that it's a no spend day. Welcome into the No Spend Clubhouse.

Sorry, sabrelvssammy. I won't be so kind to you. I won't do the same for you. Go back to the other clubhouse with all your spender/loser friends. Muahahaha.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Soory to hear you are sick OH. Hope you feel better asap!

SS a whittled crochet hook? Wow! i would likely whittle my finger off

QM yeah on the glasses!

Imagine I have never heard of finger crochet or knit. I shall have to hit youtube.

I spent $24 today at Aldi's. I have a hoard of teens for dinner tonight plus needed a few things. I bought

16 inch Take and bake cheese pizza
    2 bags .99 chicps for the hoard
    ground beef
    tortilla shells
    lettuce
    2 dozen eggs
    1 gallon milk
    loaves wheat bread

Can you guess what their choices are tonight? The pizza (I have pepperoni here to add) and soft shell tacos. They can have the chips for munchies later tonight. Dh and I will be having Taco salad since we dont do gluten tortillas.
    There are many diffrent types of finger crochetsing and finger knitting.

The Four finger knitting is easy
    Here is alink to pictures of a little girl four finger knitting a headband So cute.

Frontier Dreams: Four Finger Knitted Headband - A Tutorial *by* K

Here is a tutorial on you tube of four finger knitting
    Beginner Finger Knitting Tutorial - YouTube

Here is a pillow made form the knitting
    diy project: chunky finger-knit pillow | Design*Sponge

This one has a few fun things to make with four finger knitting.

Living in Lilliput: Fantastic Fingerknitting Projects

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I crochet all the time, but I definitely buy my hooks. I insisted I was going to try wood carving about 50 years ago and I still have the scar on my thumb to prove how good I was at it. However, I have all the crochet hooks I need, so no spending there in my future.

My day will be no spend only until late. I'm planning to go to the grocery store when I get off work at 11 tonight. There are a few specials too good to pass up, even in a spending control month and some of them just run today through Sunday. Top of the list - pork loin, 1.49, jumbo navel oranges 3/$1, and jumbo cantaloupes, $1 each. Also I forgot oil and eggs the other night, a real need sometime soon this month, so I might as well pick them up and maybe avoid a store trip later.

I buy a lot online - all that I can if the prices are comparable. I have so much chronic pain now that shopping is difficult, so I actually go in stores as little as possible. I have to choose my day carefully and limit the stops to one or two, three at the most if the stores involved won't require a lot of walking. Grocery shopping, pushing a heavy cart, is the worst. I'll be almost immobile by the time I get home. The joys of aging joints and spines...