The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 13
Page 13 of 328 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363113 ... LastLast
    Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No spend day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The only thing I bought today was groceries for my ski vacation. I bought $42 worth. I consider that a steal considering I"m feeding 5 people BF, Lunch and dinner.

I decided I was going to bring the food from home pantry and eat that. No restaurants for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spent.

The doctor switched my antibiotic and also prescribed steroids, so I had to buy those, and they took awhile to fill the prescription and I wound up browsing and buying a cute silver "Love" ring for DD for Valentine's Day.

Tomorrow...tomorrow will be a no spender.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tomorrow will be a spend day for us. We're planning on going to a butterfly conservatory with the girls, so I'll bet somewhere on the trip we'll spend extra money. I bought the tickets off Groupon a few months ago...4 people for $20. Had we paid full price it would have been $39.56 including the tax. No...it wasn't a necessity, but it should be fun. Gotta have memories too!

And, yes, the second I spend I'll go to the "loser clubhouse" and be on the lookout for y'all to join me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I will probably be leaving this discussion. I can imagine it is made in jest and fun, but all this talk of no spend clubs and not allowing people in the club, etc. is a little too much. It would be fine if it was once and done, but it seems to be continuing and not very nice. I can't wait to hear the person that is able to go the entire onto without spending.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qsaver704 View Post
    I will probably be leaving this discussion. I can imagine it is made in jest and fun, but all this talk of no spend clubs and not allowing people in the club, etc. is a little too much. It would be fine if it was once and done, but it seems to be continuing and not very nice. I can't wait to hear the person that is able to go the entire onto without spending.
    It's a shame to have you go qsaver - but everyone has to be comfortable in their environment or what's the point? I am sorry that our teasing has struck a nerve with you. I don't feel that the teasing has been incessant. And like other threads - it all eventually does die down. Sometimes we just need to have a few laughs in life, or it can become way too serious. Our doors are always open to you if you should choose to come back and join us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you decide to stick around. I think there will be a lot of support to be gained in this challenge. I think the comments were made in jest. I don't personally mind what anyone thinks of my spending or not spending. I am here to brainstorm, get ideas and share some camaraderie as we all work on our goals.

Spend vs non spend days don't mean much to me personally. For me it is the monthly average.

FN GREAT job on the grocery planning!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBoz View Post
    Spent.

The doctor switched my antibiotic and also prescribed steroids, so I had to buy those, and they took awhile to fill the prescription and I wound up browsing and buying a cute silver "Love" ring for DD for Valentine's Day.

Tomorrow...tomorrow will be a no spender.
    No frown for spending Amy. I hope the changed meds help. Shopping for you Dr v day gift in advance is very smart planning!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday I bought another notebook at the dollar store so I can track groceries. Four days into the year and 2 were spend. Groceries, chicken feed, and meds for the old dog. Only thing on the grocery list that was not necessary was the potato chips and a dollar bag of candy. A few small treats are needed. We don't smoke, drink, buy lottery tickets, no soda. Not sure how much more we can cut. I did find another source for the chicken grain so that is about 60 % of store price for the corn. The sunflower seeds are about the same. I am still working on the wild bird seed price. I suggested to him to use the cracked corn and the sunflower seed and got told no. We used to buy the suet blocks but last year, I finally get that to stop . It is now just fat either from the deer he saved or from the slaughter house.
    When I sell the eggs, it is basically breaking even now for the feed. Just have to get a little more production out of them.

This morning, the old wall phone gave it up. So am researching for another one. I prefer the older ones best. And also waiting on the phone company to fix that horrible noise on our line. A week ago, they had a tech working in their big box on the road edge because of another problem. Now we got the problem. Sigh.
    I still have the portable working and I have the DSL through the phone line, so I am still okay

I also have been thinking more about this thread. The light bulb moment for me came on, and I decided I may lose a few small battles here and there. Make a few mistakes also. As long as I get to the end of this year and have more winning days, then I am going to say I won the war. Life is about ups and downs, and learning. And using that learning.
    So with this thread and us helping each other...and a little prodding now and then, we should all be in better shape
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 01-05-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    No frown for spending Amy. I hope the changed meds help. Shopping for you Dr v day gift in advance is very smart planning!!!
    Oops that was supposed to be daughter not Dr. Dumb kindle!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know the clubs were is jest and for fun but they had the added benefit of making me think about no spend days. I am not a person that needs to overly restrain my spending with days I feel I have to refrain from shopping. It plays bad tricks with my mind and heart I turn in a version of scrooge " no we can't have ( insert much needed item here) I want it to be a no spend day." It is just how no spend days effect me. I am going to buy needed things when I see them. I can not let myself become scrooge to my family again. I can't for my sake and my family's sake go back to getting buyers remorse from buying bread. It has been a hard won battle to move myself from that place.

I do love this thread the fun and the thinkingil it causees are wonderful. Growth is good.

I did have unplanned shopping yesterday. I am still getting use to the a workschedule. We use to shop on fridays and have family night fun foods. Well last week I forgot to plan ahead. So family fun night's Impromptu plan was homemade cheese piazza and kool aid. This did not go over well " no toppings insert individual pouts here" which lead to " let's eat out" with that charge being lead by hubby. I was able to negotiate a compromise. Little miss and. I headed to the store for toppings and a 2liter of soda. While the store we spied gallon of milk for $1.99 so we picked that up. We also spied a water bottle with a carrying loop. I had forgot that little miss's water bottle broke, carrying it around middle school all day is hard on water bottles.she made due with a promptional one until it leaked. She did without water the last day before Christmas break. When she spied one on special just like her old one with a carrying loop and everything she requested that we buy it. She even remembered may and please. My first thoughts was "no you don't need it.." Then I thought about my love for a specific cup now that I have returned to work. This cup fit her wish list the built in flip straw and carrying loop and the alternative was a leaky cup or no waterbottle at school.But it felt like an imuse buy to me even though I am sure it was not to little miss. She had made do until that one leaked then she made do with no water bottle. My internal conflict and debate felt like it went on forever. But in real time it was probably a minute or so before I replied " yes which color do you want". She looked like she had just won the lottery.

I also thought of the "board game splurge" of Dec 2012. We have played so many nights after dinner. So much laughter. I have not seen my family laugh so much and so hard in ages. Hubby committed that it was wonderful to have us all gathered together "like this". The laughter has overflowed to other times.

Last night Hubby pulled out a deck of cards and taught us all how to play hearts. Much laughter.

If that splurge could do all that then the money was worth the spend. And in hind sight but needed.
    Last edited by imagine; 01-05-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I know the clubs were is jest and for fun but they had the added benefit of making me think about no spend days. I am not a person that needs to overly restrain my spending with days a I feel I have to refrain from shopping. I plays bad tricks with my mind and heart I turn in a version of scrooge " no we can't have ( insert much needed item here) I want it to be a no spend day." It is just how no spend days work for me. I am going to buy needed things when I see them I can not let myself become scrooge to my family again. I can't for my sake and my family's sake go back to getting buyers remorse from buying bread. It has been to hard won battle to move myself from that place.

I do love this thread the fun and the thinkingit cause are wonderful. Growth is good.

I did have unplanned shopping yesterday. I amstill getting use to the a workschedule. We use to shop on fridays and have family night fun foods. We last week I forgot to plan ahead. So family fun night. Impromptu plan was homemade cheese piazza and kool aid. This did not go over well " no toppings insert individual pouts here" which lead to " let's eat out" with that charge being lead by hubby. I was able to negotiate a compromise. Little miss and headed to the store for toppings and a 2liter of soda. While the store we spied gallon of milk for $1.99 so we picked that up. We also spied a water bottle with a carrying loop. I had forgot that little miss's water bottle broke, carrying it around middle school all day is hard on water bottles.she made due with a promptional one until it leaked. She did without awater bottle the last day before Christmas break. When she spied one on special just like her old one with a carrying g loop and everything she requested that we buy it. She even remembered may and please. My alertnative thoughts was "no you don't need it.." Then I thought about my love for a specific cup now that I have returned to work. This cup fit here wish list the built in flip straw and carrying loop. But it felt like an imuse buy to me even though I am sure it was not to little miss. She had bad do until that one leaked then she made do with no water bottle. My internal conflict and debate felt like it went on forever. But in really time probably a minute or so before I replied " yes which Colorado do you want". She looked like she had just won the lottery.

I also thought of the "board game splurge" of Dec 2012. We have paid so many nights after dinner. So much laughter. I have not seen my family laugh so much and so hard in ages. Hubby committed that it was wonderful to have us all gathered together "like this". The laughter has overflowed to other timed.

So last night Hubby pulled out a deck of cards and taught us all how to play hearts. Much laughter.

If that splurge could do all that then the money was worth the spend. And in hind sight but needed.
    Don't ever regret the purchases you make like this. You DS did a wonderful job of 'making do' - and it sounds like she did not even complain about it. I call this a 'necessary' purchase! And games, what better time to bring the family together. Those are 'priceless purchases' !

When you are conscious of what you are buying on a day to day level - little 'splurges' are that much more special and appreciated.

Great job mom!

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll be honest, qsaver, when I read your post my jaw dropped and eyes popped open. I'm sad to see you go. Everything I say in that regards is to be silly and to create a chuckle. On the surface I appear 'calm and collected', but once someone really gets to know me they'll quickly come to realize I like to joke around and have fun. It's just the way I am. I can see I've struck a nerve, and for that I am sorry. Fee free to come back anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    I don't feel that the teasing has been incessant. And like other threads - it all eventually does die down. Sometimes we just need to have a few laughs in life, or it can become way too serious. Our doors are always open to you if you should choose to come back and join us.
    I agree that the teasing (mostly at sabrelvssammy ) hasn't been continual. I've also not intended for it to be mean or make people truly feel left out. And sorry, SvsS, I don't plan for it to die down. As I mentioned I like to joke around (without hurting feelings, of course), and I don't plan on that to vanish on my end. Muahahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    ...Spend vs non spend days don't mean much to me personally. For me it is the monthly average.
    I try to have many no spend days, as you can see from my signature. However, I can blow you ladies all out of the water by our spending in a month. Unfortunately, I'm not the only one in the home with access to money and/or credit. The month isn't over yet. By the time we're halfway into the month, I'll want to quit tracking my spending on my Excel spreadsheet because it'll get too depressing. That's when I'll need all the support I can get. I'm confident you'll all be there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    This morning, the old wall phone gave it up. So am researching for another one. I prefer the older ones best. And also waiting on the phone company to fix that horrible noise on our line.
    I have a staticky noise in my line as well. People often mention it. I don't want the phone company to try to fix it because they'll probably want to charge me something. So I've left it for years. haha!

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Imagine - We had a games night, too, last night. We played the game of Life. DD1 got it for Christmas (something she asked for) and she LOVES it! Her birthday is coming up in a couple months, and I wonder how she'll like Battleship. Do you remember playing that as a kid? She's turning nine soon...do you think she would like that game?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am happy to report that I had nothing necessary not unnecessary to spend on today. I am away at the slopes and brought our own food from home.