The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 14
Page 14 of 328 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464114 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    Imagine - We had a games night, too, last night. We played the game of Life. DD1 got it for Christmas (something she asked for) and she LOVES it! Her birthday is coming up in a couple months, and I wonder how she'll like Battleship. Do you remember playing that as a kid? She's turning nine soon...do you think she would like that game?
    I loved battleship when I was a kid. A hint - if you can swing it, get her electronic battleship (and no, not because I like electronic things - coz I certainly do not) - but because, she can then play it herself (on those days that everyone runs away from you when you come at them with a boardgame) - yes, I am having a childhood flashback here, thank you.... anyway - the computer will then play with her.

I was able to get my nephew one of these games a few years ago at a garage sale (never opened) - electronic - for $5. What a loss for those people - haha!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

last night DD went to the store and spent her food stamps on the house it was 114 so even though she spent it I am counting it as a spend..food is necessary..

however she could piddled it away on junk food and pop..she bought ground chuck, potatoes, bananas, canned and frozen veggies, eggs, cheese, and oatmeal,, she did get 10 of those noodle packs and 5 lean cusinine for herself for lunch and 10 2 liters of pepsi.... so in honestly she did pretty good she went to look to see what we needed and got most of it..

proud of her for her generous and being frugal. she looked to see what we needed..very mature...

this is her last month she goes back to college this month..oh she was on food stamps because she was unemployed

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

O's momma - That was so kind and mature of your daughter. You should be very proud.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH asked me what I wanted to do for lunch...eat out or eat at home. I suggested "at home" because DH is planning on having a family movie night (we'll be watching the newest Tinkerbell movie that DD2 got for Christmas) and I also think he's planning on ordering in pizza. I won't tell him this (because I'll be the party pooper and it'll make him mad), but I'd rather we eat the pizza we have in our freezer. Oh well. It should be fun nonetheless. Hopefully, they don't expect me to watch the entire movie. Once we're all done eating I'd like to get back to my home business bookkeeping. Last night I sorted another month of receipts. I think I'm now onto the September envelope. I'd love to get this ready for the accountant as soon as possible, so I can sit back and not have to think about it.

For lunch DH and the girls ate "Hot Stuffs", and I ate about 4 to 6 ounces of leftover roast beef from last night's supper. The girls also had some cucumber and strawberries. MUCH healthier (and cheaper!) than eating out at McD's or some place like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went to the grocery to check my schedule for next week. I made up my mind before I went in that I would come out with nothing. We have been living a few days without the fresh bananas, and other fruits are getting eaten around here. So I will hold out on getting anymore for a few more days. I did peek into the reduced meat case, (knowing that it being Saturday it would already be wiped clean) - and thankfully it was.

After my major cleanout/up of the coffeepot yesterday - it actually worked properly without flowing all over the counter. WOOHOO! I hope this is a sign of things to come with that thing.

I drug a bunch of frozen veggies from the freezers and made a huge pot of soup that can be eaten on all week.
    Then I traded some other frozen veggies (originally from my garden) & a canned jalepano pepper (that I grew & canned myself) - for 2 gallons of milk & 3 cartons of eggs with a friend, that has a friend, that is a dairy vendor. He keeps her stocked with all the milk/eggs/cot cheese etc that she can store. We like to barter stuff back & forth.

Dollar General is having a coupon day. In the past I would be all over it. But, I am trying to whittle down my stockpile, not increase it - so I am staying away. The day should end in a no-spend for me. I am getting where I really like these kinds of days - lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool

Hubby wanted to visit the pawn shop today to look for ice fishing stuff. That $150 in Christmas $ he got is burning a hole in his pocket

I wouldn't have imagined I would want anything there. I ended up buying a Denise Austin yoga DVD for $1.99 . I have $98 and a $50 gift card to treat myself yet. So, I am not counting my Christmas $ in the unnecessary spending.

We stopped one for place and hubby spent $4.02 on soda. Soda is not something we buy often and I sure was not telling him no. The grocery budget total for the month will still be $400 or less.

Spend days or no spend days we all get to enjoy the fun and accountability so yeah us!!!!!!!!!!

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I couldn't sleep and visited a different forum around 2 am - Mistake! I found a conversation about a book - Armageddon Medicine by Cynthia J. Koelker. She is a graduate from MIT and wrote the book in layman terms. From the reading articles on the website it ought to be a really good book packed with lots of information about how to care for yourself and others in case there are no Dr's around. My fiance and I are into this kind of stuff so I ordered the book (almost 600 pages)...and 5 cd set. $135. It covers a wide variety of situations: when to treat with antibiotics,
    bites, burns, infections, and a whole lot more! Great info to have and if I can use some of the more basic information to keep from going to the Dr just once then the book will have paid for itself. There - I justified my spend. I feel a little better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today is a spend day here . Dh is going out of town for a few weeks and he is less than thrilled about it as are the rest of us. He has to go for work though so no chioce. He decided we would have a special out to dinner night since we won't be together for a meal again for a long time. So he is gone to pick up carry out now from the coney island. $23.59. Totally unneccesary but I wasn't gonna tell him no if that's what he wanted to do. The rest of us will be eating at home for the time he is gone so this one meal won't break us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

QM,

I personally think Battleship would be a great game. The manual one is also very good for improving the math skill graphing at least the teacher in me is sticking to the edcuational aspect of the game. lol

When my first child was learning this in school he did excellent at it. When asked about it he said "it is just like battleship." of course his mom (me) had told him the game rules by explaining this is the x axis and this is the y axis The teacher ask me about it and I told her about what I had learned in my ecuational classes about games and math. When Little Miss had that teacher, when the grahping skill was introduced she smiled at Little Miss and Said "Just like the battleship game" She pulled me aside after class Thank me and explained that all her students had learned graphing skill easier since I told her about battleship four years before.
    The manual version is more educational then the electronic. I personally think the manual one is more fun too.

We play the Life game here too. It was mine and is missing the toll bridge. Do you happen to know what the spaces say on the toll bridge? Is the toll bridge in evey version?
    Last edited by imagine; 01-05-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Weekly shopping trip. I bought only food( no hba's of household consumables nothing but food).

However.

Little Miss found at Aldi's a stuffed animal for half off. It folded in half and velcroed just like a pillow pet but was very little. She lit up and said, "A pillow pet of my american girls [dolls]". I thought it was very creative after all it was the prefect size for that. lf she wanted a pillow pet so bad for Christmas ( and has loved/loves it) why wouldn't her "girls" want one too. She paid for it with her money.

Then

Hubby decided he really wanted to replace his headphones/earbuds that stopped working 2 weeeks ago. He wanted to have the option of listening to music again as he walks to work. He enjoys that. Little Miss upon hearing this, said she needed new ones to as hers as too were broken. Hubby cheked them out. Yep, they were not working in one ear. He asked her when that happened. 6 months ago and not a complint out of her. ( You can bet Hubby bought her new ones and told her to tell us if they stopped working) We also bought printer ink as it was on the list of "When you head to that store list". We printed out a coupon Hubby happened to pick out a pair of headphone/earbuds that happend to be 25% off and that we could still us the $5 off store coupon with. Bonus!

All in all the purchases out of the family money were neccesary in my mind.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Do you happen to know what the spaces say on the toll bridge? Is the toll bridge in evey version?
    Thanks for the information about Battleship, everyone! I'm not sure...there are a few bridges in the new game. I'd have to see what piece and where you are referring to. I've only played the game twice, so I don't know where the "toll bridge" is. Maybe it's not on the new game. Can you post a pic of it on this thread so I can see it?

We had a fun time at the Butterfly Conservatory. Got a lot of wonderful pics. Nice family outing! And for a decent price too...

On the way there the girls got a free small fries from McD's (Halloween coupons), I got a free mocha (coupon from a flyer) and DH got a small coffee and muffin combo ($1.39 + tax). Then on the way home we got the girls both a free ice cream cone (Halloween coupons) and DH a medium coffee from Tim Hortons. I had a few sips of his, so by him upsizing and sharing with me we saved the money from another coffee. Yay. I think we spent a total of $3.13 on treats/coffees on the trip thanks to all the coupons I have.

DH has gone to the grocery store for a few minutes to buy some things on sale that I found in the flyer. He's picking up some sirloin tip roasts for $2.99/lb or $6.59/kg, pork shoulder picnic roasts for $1/lb or $2.20/kg, generic veggies in a can for 69 cents each, bananas for 69c/lb or $1.52/kg and a container of 'I Can't Believe It's not Butter' margarine for $1. I plan to do a bigger grocery shop, but I'm not sure I'll make it to that store later this week and I don't want us to miss out on the meat sales. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart doesn't price match meat here, so we have to buy it there. Later today or tomorrow he'll cut most of the roasts into steaks, package, label and freeze them for when we want a better cut of meat.

On the way home we drove past a "Pay-at-the-Pumps Gas Bar" and found a Superbucks tab hanging that someone left. We didn't gas up; just checked for hanging tabs.. It was something like 35 cents. DH gave me the tabs he's been collecting. Altogether we have $14.52 in Superbucks. Once I have $20 worth of them, I'll go to the store and buy $20 worth of gift cards to save for another time. I already have $80 worth of grocery store gift cards from prior c/c points and Superbucks. If we want to we can some day decide to buy different gift cards for other stores using those gift cards. So, we don't have to use them there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

QM - what are superbucks? For that matter what are hanging tags and "Pay-at-the-Pumps Gas Bar"?

In my game the toll bridge is ( was) white, not the green "grassy" hill bridges.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My new battery for my laptop finally came in today (ordered before this challenge started) - and now I can unplug from the wall and start saving some electricity. So this is a necessary - I held out as long as I could before I bought one. I was down to about 15 mins of battery life per charge on my current battery. And I bought it with Amazon gift $$'s - so in essence, it was more imaginary money that paid for it.

Didn't leave the house since this morning - so no spending today...

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    QM - what are superbucks? For that matter what are hanging tags and "Pay-at-the-Pumps Gas Bar"?
    Some grocery stores (the Loblaws chain is what I'm thinking does this) have gas stations in their parking lot. When you gas up at their "Pay-at-the-Pumps" gas station, you get 2 or 4 cents for each Liter of gas you get. The Loblaws gas stations here are 2 cents per Liter in Superbucks, and the Real Canadian Superstore (sister company) is 4 cents per Liter in Superbucks. We usually go to the Loblaws store because it's much closer to our home. The Superbucks is the tab you get after you gas up that shows you how much $ you have towards free groceries at the grocery store. They have a 2 or 3 month expiry...can't remember for sure. Instead of putting them towards grocery purchases we save them up in $10 denominations and buy grocery store gift cards. Not sure how many people do this, but we do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    Some grocery stores (the Loblaws chain is what I'm thinking does this) have gas stations in their parking lot. When you gas up at their "Pay-at-the-Pumps" gas station, you get 2 or 4 cents for each Liter of gas you get. The Loblaws gas stations here are 2 cents per Liter in Superbucks, and the Real Canadian Superstore (sister company) is 4 cents per Liter in Superbucks. We usually go to the Loblaws store because it's much closer to our home. The Superbucks is the tab you get after you gas up that shows you how much $ you have towards free groceries at the grocery store. They have a 2 or 3 month expiry...can't remember for sure. Instead of putting them towards grocery purchases we save them up in $10 denominations and buy grocery store gift cards. Not sure how many people do this, but we do.
    That's as much fun as when there were still payphones - and you could check them for change....
    I don't blame you - I would be right there with 'ya. Great job!