The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 15
Page 15 of 328 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617182565115 ... LastLast
    QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    That's as much fun as when there were still payphones - and you could check them for change....
    I don't blame you - I would be right there with 'ya. Great job!
    Oh...it's much more fun! 4 times out of 10 there is at least one Superbucks tab hanging. Sometimes there are two. Once there were three. Don't know how or why people leave them...either forgetful or just don't care to collect their tab off the machine. Who knows. I just try not to make a special trip to that gas station as it'll probably cost me more in gas (even though it's 3 or 4 km's away) than what I find in Superbucks. My stupid 2003 van costs me approx. 18 to 20 cents per kilometer. But if I'm/we're driving by...hey, why not check!

I used to be embarrassed to jump out, grab a tab and not buy gas. But not anymore. I've gotten used to it. Everyone there is a stranger anyways, and I'll probably never see them again. It would probably be slightly embarrassing if there was someone I knew that saw me grab a Superbucks and drive away, but I'd probably just laugh at myself in front of them and make it into a joke. Just the way I am. Don't mind laughing at myself one bit. I'm one of those people that don't go with the flow and don't mind looking stupid. Call it stupidity or confidence...one never really knows. haha!

Do you have these gas stations where you live? I know we live about 2 to 3 hours away from each other.....I think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

QM

The gas tag things would fun. Here we have pay at the pump gas pumps. The one that is associated with the grocery station gives you 2 cents for every gallon it just subtracts it from how much you owe for your gas. You can earn more then 2 cents off per gallon up to $1 off each gallon depending on the amount of money you spend each month in their store.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    ...Here we have pay at the pump gas pumps. The one that is associated with the grocery station gives you 2 cents for every gallon it just subtracts it from how much you owe for your gas.
    That's a different way to do it. Depending on the amount of money you spend each month in their store?...strange. I like it our way better. Every time I find a Superbucks tab it's like finding money someone has dropped.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    That's a different way to do it. Depending on the amount of money you spend each month in their store?...strange. I like it our way better. Every time I find a Superbucks tab it's like finding money someone has dropped.
    Your way sounds more fun. I almost never spend enough to get money off. The 2 cents you can get off every gallon everytime just for swiping their store loyality card at their gas station. There gas station is one of the closest to us and generally has the lowest price even before the 2 cents off.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We ended up not ordering in pizza or picking up KFC for supper. (Thankfully!) DH made us chicken nuggets and french fries. Then the girls had candy for dessert. We watched the newest Tinkerbell movie for our "family movie night" while we ate. It was fun.

Saved about $30 by just eating from home. I only have DH to thank. I told him that it was up to him as I fully expected that ordering in was what we were going to do.

Gotta clean the dishes now! Toodles!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

o's momma - I think buying the noodles and lean cuisine for lunch is perfectly reasonable. I keep some frozen convenience foods - I'm a sucker for Marie Callender pot pies - because if I am out of leftovers or don't have time to prepare something, they still cost only about a third of what a fast food drive through would cost, and probably aren't any more unhealthy. And 2 liter drinks are the frugal version. I think she did a great job.

No spend days for me are good ones, but really not much of a challenge. As I said before, shopping is the challenge for me, physically, so staying out the stores is good on both counts. Now, if online shopping were just a little harder.... However, I don't shoot for a number or make them a goal, they just happen and are noted if I'm thinking about it. If I need something, and yes, often if I want something, I get it whenever. To have no spend days now and then is like getting gold stars for something that costs little effort.

Actually yesterday turned out to be a no spend day despite my best efforts. By the time I hiked out to the car after work I was hurting so much there was no way I could go shopping. We've had a lot of rapidly changing weather and it's evil. I'll see about tonight, but the weekend may pass without my getting the three day specials, and if so, the some other regular sale items are good, but I'll probably pass on them. Everything else on my list can wait. I do have a few good coupons I would like to use - I have some that expire on the 13th, but I still have some time.

I say we should not regret purchases that give genuine pleasure if they're not actually causing serious financial problems - not board games or things our children (or our birds) need or will enjoy. Life is short and it's not all money. Even frugality needs balance and moderation - depending, of course, on individual circumstances. Sometimes we have to be stricter with ourselves than at other times. To me is seems the point is not how much is spent, or even on what, but just to be very mindful of what we spend. This thread helps me do that. Because of some recent expenses, I need to be more careful for a few months and mostly just buy the really necessary things. But I'm giving myself a little leeway even there. There are a few things still on my list that aren't strictly necessary, but that will make my life easier or better in some way, and those, if there is opportunity, I will buy. I like both clubs -

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had to get creative to avoid another trip and more $ spent. Hubby had a massive peanut craving. We had hot peanuts which he claimed are too hot. Bah!!! There is no such thing!!! He wanted to go back to the store.

I took the hot peanuts and rinsed them off well. I re roasted them with a brown sugar glaze. It ended up a nice touch of spice with sweet.

I love steak but we have none. We had gotten a good deal on beef roast recently. I cut the roast into steaks and had hubby grill it. DELICIOUS!!! The kids and hubby had roasted carrots and salad with it. I had a salad made of red and green cabbage with mini tomatoes with mine. MMMM No eating out once a week is not so bad if hubby will grill his carnivore wife some yummy beef.

I usually buy a bottle of wine for the weekend. I skipped it this week. I had a drink hubby made with diet code red and vodka. Not bad even though I'm not a soda person. With all the crushed ice it reminded me of a cherry slushy. I will ignore the chemicals I just invested in the soda

Since the move the end of August it is so easy to hit a store. When the mall, target and walmart were built years ago they were way out on the outskirts of the city to get zoning. The community sprang up around them. The house we bought was country in the late 80s. It is now on the edge of the city limit but seems like country with our 2 acres being surrounded by an area of forest. I am only a mile from the stores and mall though. A far cry from the 30 miles we were before we sold the hobby farm and moved in August. I remember when that mall was built. We were all shocked it was almost 10 miles out. Oh how the city changed since the . 80s.
    Last edited by nodmicks; 01-05-2013 at 09:16 PM.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I say we should not regret purchases that give genuine pleasure if they're not actually causing serious financial problems - not board games or things our children (or our birds) need or will enjoy. Life is short and it's not all money. Even frugality needs balance and moderation - depending, of course, on individual circumstances. Sometimes we have to be stricter with ourselves than at other times. To me is seems the point is not how much is spent, or even on what, but just to be very mindful of what we spend. This thread helps me do that. Because of some recent expenses, I need to be more careful for a few months and mostly just buy the really necessary things. But I'm giving myself a little leeway even there. There are a few things still on my list that aren't strictly necessary, but that will make my life easier or better in some way, and those, if there is opportunity, I will buy. I like both clubs -
    I like both clubs too. Every day we have different friends to hang out with...depending on whether we spend money or not.

I agree that the point of this thread is to be mindful on what we spend our hard-earned money on. For me, it's all too easy to throw in the towel and not focus on being mindful of what I buy. Same goes with my weight loss. So like most on this thread, this thread helps me do that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today was supposed to be a spend day, but the feed store was out of salt pellets. I guess I am in the "no spend" club then, eh? Most days this week have been "no spend".

Next week, I have to go sit in the "spend" club house. I will have to hit the feed store for the salt pellets. The water softener is about half empty. The guys have activities two of the days, so there will be money for gas spent and costs for the activities. I run errands while we are across the pass. We are almost out of bread and the day-old bread store is over by their activities. Being out of bread is a very bad thing with three teen boys. I also want to pick up some chicken feed and some bedding. It would be nice to have it on when when we actually get chickens.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    Today was supposed to be a spend day, but the feed store was out of salt pellets. I guess I am in the "no spend" club then, eh?.......Next week, I have to go sit in the "spend" club house...
    You'll get the best of both worlds this way! (Hey! You changed the name "Loser Club House" to "Spend Club House". That's not fair! I'm in the "Loser Club House" today, and I don't want you to change the name while I'm here.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you getting your chickens soon Zakity? I sure miss my fresh eggs on the hobby farm. I know my girls are in good hand though. Chickens are fun pets. I about cringe when I crack a store bought egg now after year of our own duck and chicken eggs. The yolks are so pale.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    I about cringe when I crack a store bought egg now after year of our own duck and chicken eggs. The yolks are so pale.
    I don't think I've ever eaten fresh duck or chicken eggs. Only kind (I think) I've ever eaten is the kind you don't like from the store.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just noticed this thread is already on page 15, and it was started on December 30th. The 2013 Lose-A-Pound thread is on page 14, and it was started on December 25th. The 2013 Self Image Challenge thread is on page 11, and it was started on December 31st. That means this thread has more pages in less time! Woohoo for us! I wonder what it'll look like by the end of the year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The fresh ones are much richer with bright orange yolks and a harder shell. I will say raising organic ducks and chicken eggs was pricey. However mine were really pets and the organic non med gives them a longer life span.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry about changing the name. I couldn't remember what you all called it. I figured that you all would know which one I was talking about if I called the "spend" club house.

We are looking for some free or very cheap chickens for our first dive into having chickens. We have four cats and three of them are "working" cats (ie, one is a moler, one is a hunter who really feeds herself, and another is friends with the skunks). The other cat is just pretty much a pet though he does catch some mice occasionally. We also have a very large raccoon that visits the property. We figure that we would rather lose a $5 chicken to a raccoon than a $15 one. We are aiming to, um well, make the raccoon no longer a threat when we see it out there.

DH prefers the expensive eggs. We can only afford the cheap eggs. So, we are hoping that with moving the chicken tractor around the yard, feeding them all our scraps that now goes out to the compost pile, and feeding them any bugs that we run across that it will be cheaper than the store bought eggs.