The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 16
Page 16 of 328 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718192666116 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Having chickens and fresh eggs.....

Well that was my goal and it will be 4 yrs this spring having the current flock. You will need good shelter for them to protect from the weather and predators. A good fenced in yard is another must have. A place to store their food to keep it dry and protected from mice, squirrels, chipmunks, etc.
    With the price of grain, it will be hard to keep the costs down to feed your birds. I sell my extra eggs for $ 4 a dz and it is still interesting to balance the dollars for their feed bill. The other day I went to a big farm and bought bagged grain directly. The corn fiqures out to be 60 % of what the store would charge. The sunflowers are real close in cost. I can get oats from the farm for about half what store will charge. My son found me some really nice 3rd cutting hay. In the winter here, the birds cannot access the grass and bugs during any free ranging time.
    We use sawdust for bedding in the main coop. Then when time to clean, that all goes out on the garden.
    We do feed some table scraps, but because we have 30 birds, that is spread thin among them. So any treats help yes. The birds need to have good grain in front of them for production.
    I still have to buy layer crumbles from the store for the girls. I am trying to fiqure out a more lower cost feed for this.

I have learned that having one's own eggs is not for the most part, a way to get cheap eggs. However, controlling what the birds eat, makes me more happy. And me having appreciative customers for the extra eggs helps also

We have 2 acres here and my goal is to raise more of their feed. I like growing the sunflowers the best. Makes the yard pretty, feeds the wild birds, and also some for the chickens.
    We also have a garden and because we allow the chickens to free range quite a bit, the garden is fenced in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I just noticed this thread is already on page 15, and it was started on December 30th. The 2013 Lose-A-Pound thread is on page 14, and it was started on December 25th. The 2013 Self Image Challenge thread is on page 11, and it was started on December 31st. That means this thread has more pages in less time! Woohoo for us! I wonder what it'll look like by the end of the year.
    That's because all the big-mouths are over here..... hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    We have four cats and three of them are "working" cats (ie, one is a moler, one is a hunter who really feeds herself, and another is friends with the skunks).
    - and another is friends with the skunks). That cracked me up! Thanks for the laugh this morning Zakity!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    That's because all the big-mouths are over here..... hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Very true. Hopefully more people will brave this challenge. It's so extremely hard. And I hope they can endure the clubhouses. We are pretty mean people on this thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made my first batch of homemade bisquits today. I know, I know - some of you find that hilarious, 'coz you have been making them yourself since you were 12 months old.

However, I have not. It was always easier to go buy a tube of bisquits, that you just bang on the side of the counter (or if you wait long enough- they will open up all by themselves for you right there in the fridge) - throw them on a pan, into the oven - and in about 12 mins..... "Look ma - bisquits"

But I have been on a store-bought bisquit strike for the past few months. The prices (for generic of course) are no longer what I am willing to pay. I used to be able to get them in a 3 pack for $1. Now they want almost a dollar for each tube. So, I gave up playing. And I have been wanting to take the time to get a good recipe and make them here. (Dh likes bisquits & gravy occasionally) - we have the sausage, we just don't have bisquits.

Well I made them from a recipe off the web. And they are ok, but not great. I don't think I will use this recipe again. But - the jumping-off is over with - I have jumped into the water of bisquit making - so now, I can just keep searching for an easy bisquit recipe, until we find one that we like and then it's all good. (Unless, one of you fine folks here want to give me your recipe - hint, hint)....

Don't plan on leaving the house today - planning on another no-spend. Next week when I can't hide in the house anymore (the bronchitis is over - darn -hehe) - when I am working, and out about in the real world, I am sure it's going to be a little harder. I plan on staying committed to the freezer/pantry challenge, and keep trying to clear this stuff out, (and that challenge for me extends into the bathroom cabinets, the closets, etc) - so it will be a little easier to say NO to all those bargains!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ingredients

1 cup milk
    2 cups self-rising flour
    3 tbs mayo

Procedure

Mix ingredients together and bake in greased muffin pan @ 350F for 20-30 mins.

There ya go sabre!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamielane View Post
    Ingredients

1 cup milk
    2 cups self-rising flour
    3 tbs mayo

Procedure

Mix ingredients together and bake in greased muffin pan @ 350F for 20-30 mins.

There ya go sabre!
    That's it??? Really? Hm~ I will certainly be trying this one next. THANKS!

The one I did had flour, baking powder, salt, butter, milk - I don't think the author actually made the recipe first before posting it, 'coz there was not enough liquid to moisten the powder. I ended up adding more milk (a lot) just to get it not to look like crumbles. Even then, they broke up after baked (which was ok, coz I just covered them with gravy) - but for putting jelly on... was not going to happen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can also make self rising flour from regular flour. If you do not have some and do not want to go to the store.

Just add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt per 1 cup of regular flour.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am again happy to report no necessary or unnecessary spending today. Just enjoying the outdoors and my family.

Cheers!

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This afternoon DD1 and I are going for a registered massage therapy appointment. Yay! Hers is half an hour, and mine is an hour. I can't wait. We have to pay 10% out of pocket. Our extended health covers the other 90%. Not sure what the total of the two of us will be. The whole 1-1/2 shouldn't cost more than $15 out of pocket.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    This afternoon DD1 and I are going for a registered massage therapy appointment. Yay! Hers is half an hour, and mine is an hour. I can't wait. We have to pay 10% out of pocket. Our extended health covers the other 90%. Not sure what the total of the two of us will be. The whole 1-1/2 shouldn't cost more than $15 out of pocket.

I am so jealous

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't bake so I don't keep flour of any kind. I have biscuits so rarely I still just use the whack-em ones. A tube of biscuits three or four times a year won't break the bank. However, despite my "don't bake" info, I have been making some brownie and cake mixes. The brownie mixes were a good sale and the cake mixes, Betty Crocker I think - I got for .25. Even non-baker couldn't pass up that deal. I have a couple of them left, and then the sweet times are over. I shouldn't be eating that many sweets anyway, but hey, it was the holidays! Even my doctor gives me a pass for holiday human frailty.

I was a non spender yesterday - I couldn't face the grocery store after all. Our weather has changed again, so I'll have to see how I feel by 11 tonight, but I think I'm just skipping the grocery shopping. There will be other sales.

I'm patting myself on the back. I allow myself no guilt fast food at Sunday lunch. I have to be at work at 1 instead of my usual 4 pm, and three hours earlier, well, I just never seem to get it together. But I dragged out of bed at 9:30 this a.m. (bedtime was 3 a.m.) so I had time to have my morning tea, get ready, and eat at home. I nuked a potato and some leftover ham. So I saved about $6 there.

On the other hand, I'm buying a $3 Kindle book today. Still, I come out ahead for the day, so I'll just sit in the doorway of the losers club.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ever since I made my crochet needle ~ I want to make the chain stitch out of everything that I see - lol. I can't wait to get some real needles. (Yes, I am looking forward to a spend). While this homemade needle to working to satisfy my desire to crochet things - I know that if I had the proper needles, the job would go easier & faster. But this has been a great learning curve for me. And - I didn't end up letting the curiosity of wanting to crochet NOW get the better of me by causing me to rush off to a store for a needle.

This new trick that I have learned is opening up a whole new world of pet toys to make for market. YEA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh - the book. I read the first of the series, a freebie, yesterday, and it was a fun, cute book. I'd classify it as a kid's or maybe YA book - I'm not too stuck up to read and enjoy those too. I'm going to read the second (I think that's all there are, so far) before I forget the first completely. The half life of book details gets shorter and shorter the older I get. However, I like to think it's not age, but just that the store of books read is getting so large that the brain gives up on locating the right one with the hints I can give, like "I think it had a green cover and there was a cat in it somewhere. I think there was rain too."

The books are Laura Lond's Lakeland Knight series. The one I read last night was My Sparkling Misfortune.

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought garden seeds today. Way early for Idaho. With as cold as it has been dreaming of gardening will help me pass the time. I'm going to try some new stuff this year: kale, globe artichokes, Jerusalem artichokes, brussel sprouts, and chinese celery. I can't wait to strt planting seeds in my basement greenhouse.