The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 17
Page 17 of 328 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819202767117 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in on this SS. This year I am trying to spend as least as possible. So with that said....

On 1/2 - no spend
    1/2 - spend - groceries
    1/3 - no spend
    1/4 - spend $8.00 - a six pack of beer...justification ....needed a beer.
    1/5 - no spend - hibernating
    1/6 - no spend - not going anywhere and I don't buy online.

So far so good!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well it was a spend day. I been researching for several days now for a hand grinder I wanted to buy. Went to ebay this morning, and told myself to stop stressing over the purchase. It was a need. So I hit the buy it now button. $ 29 includes shipping. Plan is to use it for the chicken feed to grind corn. And I can also use it in the kitchen for grinding. And it was NOT out of the household money

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I spent $12 out of pocket for our massage therapy appointments. Gotta get the extended health form ready to mail off tomorrow as I paid it from our chequing account. Once we get reimbursed the 90%, then it'll go back into chequing. That's it for my spending today. Was it a "necessity"?...No, but it felt wonderful! I'm sure many a pioneer went thru their entire life without a single massage. DH bought a coffee for himself on the way to church this morning. He'll probably get another (not really sure) when he heads out this evening for a church service. Either way, I'm not counting his spending as my spending even though we share the same money.

Welcome, Debbie! Always fun to have new members. You've done amazing this month with your no spend days. Way to go!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I'm sure many a pioneer went thru their entire life without a single massage.

More than Pinoneers. I can only imagine what a message feels like. And I imagine they feel wonderful.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Imagine - Do you or your hubby have no extended health coverage thru your or his work? Have you looked into it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Imagine - Do you or your hubby have no extended health coverage thru your or his work? Have you looked into it?
    I have never heard of anyone that have messages cover under their health insurance. Everyone I know that has gotten one paid in full everytime, and it was quite expensive. Including my friend whose OB told her it was medicically neccessary and to try and find the money to get one. She was pregant with triplets at the time.

And I am not sure what extended health coverage is. Googling it now.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I have never heard of anyone that have messages cover under their health insurance. Everyone I know that has gotten one paid in full everytime, and it was quite expensive. Including my friend whose OB told her it was medicically neccessary and to try and find the money to get one. She was pregant with triplets at the time.

And I am not sure what extended health coverage is. Googling it now.
    Some companies make their employees pay into health care coverage. My husband has to with his work; not really sure if he has a choice. Even if we did have a choice, we would keep it because we also get 90% coverage for prescription drugs. He needs medicine for some health problems he has.

The massages we get must also be done by a Registered Massage Therapist licensed for our province. We used to need to send in a doctor's note each year with the "reason" we "needed" a massage. The plan has changed, and now we don't need to. The reason we gave the doctor was that we needed massage for relaxational purposes. All we needed was a doctor's note to get our coverage paid for. We used to get 100% coverage up to $500 per agreement year; now we get 90% coverage up to $500 per agreement year. His work benefits have changed over the years.

If you're self-employed (which I am) and you want extended health you have to pay into it yourself. I don't have to because DH has the plan and I'm his spouse. I and the girls are covered too.

There are tons of different companies...Sun Life Financial, Manulife Financial, Pacific Blue Cross and so on. It depends on what the employer has chosen for their employees. You and I could have the same company pretend, yet we have different benefits. It depends how much and what we and our employers pay into. Plus probably depends on the number of employees and how big the company is. More people might mean a better plan. Not sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some company you have to pay into health care coverage. My husband has to with his work; not really sure if he has a choice. Even if we did have a choice, we keep it because we also get 90% coverage for prescription drugs. He needs medicine for two health problems he has.

We used to need to send in a doctor's note each year with the "reason" we "needed" a massage. The plan has changed, and now we don't need to. The reason we gave the doctor was that we needed massage for relaxational purposes. All we needed was a doctor's note to get our coverage paid for. We used to get 100% coverage up to $500 per agreement year; now we get 90% coverage up to $500 per agreement year. His work benefits have changed over the years.

If you're self-employed (which I am) and you want extended health you have to pay into it yourself. I don't have to because DH has the plan and I'm his spouse. I and the girls are covered too.

There are tons of different companies...Sun Life Financial, Manulife Financial, Pacific Blue Cross and so on. It depends on what the employer has chosen for their employees. You and I could have the same company pretend, yet we have different benefits. It depends how much and what we and our employers pay into. Plus probably depends on the number of employees and how big the company is. More people might mean a better plan. Not sure.
    I have never heard of anything like that. Maybe it is a CAnada thing not a US thing? We pay 40% of our heath innsurance. Our monthly share of the health Health innsurance is more than my mortage. It will not even cover Hubby's medicine until he has reached his decuctable of $1,500 for him. Then it will pay $55 dollars which is half of the cost.

It does pay of check ups and lab work for those check ups. This is the first insurance that we have had that does this (something to do with the new heath care rules). And I am so happy about this.

When the kids were little ( babies) and had more than one check up a year we paid for all (100%) of those check ups and immuzations. Easily spent 1,000 a year for the kids check ups (this did not apply to the decutible. I also remeber paying over $1,000 dollars for an emergency room trip of stiches.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Imagine - I thought you lived "out west" in Canada (i.e., the prairies somewhere). Guess I'm thinking of someone else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Imagine - I thought you lived "out west" in Canada (i.e., the prairies somewhere). Guess I'm thinking of someone else.
    I am in the prairies just in the USA prairie not the Canadian prairie.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I am in the prairies just in the USA prairie not the Canadian prairie.
    Weird. I was sure you were in the Canadian prairies. Must have imagined it or read your past posts incorrectly. How far do you live from the border? I've never been out in the prairies. I can imagine what they look like. My SIL and brother live out there (Winnipeg), and I have absolutely no desire to spend money on traveling that way. I'm evil...aren't I. They left here. If they want to see us, they can head this way. I'd rather spend the money it would cost going somewhere 'fun'...not just scenic.

This is not "spending related"...just a topic of conversation. In the past couple weeks (could be 'cause the girls have been on Christmas break) I am having difficulty motivating myself to get stuff done. I can't use them as an excuse. I know it's me. Any tips on how to pick up my butt?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Weird. I was sure you were in the Canadian prairies. Must have imagined it or read your past posts incorrectly. How far do you live from the border? I've never been out in the prairies. I can imagine what they look like. My SIL and brother live out there (Winnipeg), and I have absolutely no desire to spend money on traveling that way. I'm evil...aren't I. They left here. If they want to see us, they can head this way. I'd rather spend the money it would cost going somewhere 'fun'...not just scenic.

This is not "spending related"...just a topic of conversation. In the past couple weeks (could be 'cause the girls have been on Christmas break) I am having difficulty motivating myself to get stuff done. I can't use them as an excuse. I know it's me. Any tips on how to pick up my butt?
    The prairie I live in is beautiful. You can see for miles. You can also drive many highway miles and see much scenery.

It was very easy as a child to imagine being Laura from the litttle house on the prairie. Lol

I live far enough from the Canadian boarder that I have only been to Canada once. Most people I know have never been to Canada.

Subje change my kids are still on Christmas break.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

QM ~ when you figure out how to get your butt picked up - send me the link... lol - I need it too!

So tomorrow is the end of the 1st week of January. Time for a weekly progress report from those that wish to participate. I am going to call them the 'Weekly Roundups'. We will have one at the end of each week, and then a 'Monthly Roundup' tying it all together. And guess what - come next January 1 - we have a 'Yearly Roundup' - can you imagine.....

Tues - the 8th will be the first reporting day. Then on the 15th, 22nd & 29th (because that is every 8th day - 7 days in a week ... see how this all just works out magically)...

So, the Weekly Roundup will look like this:

1/1 - no spend
    1/2 - no spend
    1/3 - $39.29 (wholesaler of jewelry making supplies) - all for future resale
    1/4 - no spend
    1/5 - no spend
    1/6 - no spend
    1/7 - (undetermined at the moment)

This is what my 'draft' will look like. If you want to participate in the roundup, you can follow my lead (or create one of your own). On my spend days I will try to consolidate what I purchased in the easiest manner possible, and possibly make comments on how or why I spent what I did.

At the end of the month I will tally up my successes or failures, how much I spent for the month in each of the 6 categories I have created on my spreadsheet (food, HBA's, entertainment, clothing, pets or misc), and my total of no-spend days.

That's the plan for me - if anyone else wants to play, well - that would just be terrific!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ok qm when the kids leave and go to school and your recoperate..then u will pick your butt up..

thank u dcommptom (hope that is right ) forgive me if it is not..The 2 liters were 79 cents which is why she purchased it... I keep some convenience food I have chronic illness some days are better than others

I have never had a fresh egg before..
    expensive eggs versus cheap eggs except for organic, cage free is there a difference.....

Cash is king here..no credit cards at... I do not shop on line at all...

ok no spend day but also broke day.....My stockpile is getting depleted....I have not shopped for the HBA except for Tide. ( since Sept) ..I am out of dish liquid, garbage bags, fabric softner sheets and liquid, dry bleach, tide drops (stain remover) paper towel ( don't keep a lot use maybe 3 -4 rolls a year), colorox wipes, vinegar,and toilet bowl cleaner...

so I will need to spend soon..all these are necessary....

Paige's birthday is this week... I will have to purchase Ice cream, things for salad, garlic bread whipped cream... and next week we will give her 100 bucks for her birthday...

she went to the mall today and bought 3 tops with a gift certificate form Old navy that was mine and I gave it to her to pick up a few new tops for school..so since it was my money that I spent and returned because it did not fit I consider it a no spend day...the money was spent in Dec.... lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No spend day here yesterday! We will see what today brings.