The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 18
Page 18 of 328 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920212868118 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nothing yesterday. Today I'll need to go pick up more greens and eggs. Having dh finally join us 100% on paleo is meaning I need to stop more often. I'm not complaining though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last night we learned and played the card game "I don't believe it " it was fun

Today will be a spend day. I plan on buying a birthday present ( lunch box) and fill up the car with gas. I want to do it today because it is basically the last time I will not have to rush from work for school pick up then start the homework two step, after work catch up, and the cooking supper hustle.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today will most definitely be spending today. I've got to pick up some probiotics for the girls, and when I do I'm going to check out the reduced meat at the grocery store across the road from it. Then I'm going to do a return for a CD that DH already received/bought and run another errand.

Thankfully today I will have 3 daycare kids today instead of 4. The baby is staying home with his grandparents before they head home a few provinces west. One of the 3 kids in care will be at school (kindergarten), which means I'll only have 2 kids to run errands with. May as well get the stuff done today so tomorrow can be more fun in the morning.

SvsS - I don't think I'm going to be able to track what I spent in a chart like you did and determine whether it was necessary or not. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't want to make more work for myself. Already I'm trying to track what we spend on Excel; just started that as of January 1st. That in itself is a big (and soon to be stressful, I'm sure) project. This thread is keeping me focused on whether it's necessary or not...that's good enough for me.

Off I go to grab some snacks for the kids during our excursion this morning. Yay!...And the 3 of the 6 kids (2 being mine) are back at school as of this morning!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok run to store done. All necessary but the $1.79 magazine. It was so silly I debated and debated on the magazine since i said no unnecessary spending. I decided It was worth the $1.79 and I'd throw it back in from my Christmas gift of cash :0

I got: for $53.32

magazine
    pound cheese
    another pound cheese ( 1 free with coupon)
    a gallon of pickles
    5 dozen eggs
    2 lbs mixed greens
    heavy cream
    sausage
    sunflower seeds
    4 bags of nuts
    3 jars of spices
    a head of iceberg lettuce
    2 cucumbers
    a bunch of bananas
    bottle of dressing
    fire roasted tomato
    3 boxes plain gelatin
    20 pack of dish washing tablets
    4 pack of decon for the garages

I won't be charting unless it is the pie chart YNAB gives me. I just found out recently the program did that. I can easily see all my categories though in the budget section. I'll be more than happy to share all my totals at the end of the month though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Happy day everyone !!
    Great deals nodmick and QM I forgot how to shop with kids it's been do long for me.

Today is another no neccessary or unnecessary spending.
    I am eating from the condo, skiing for free (pass) and well, I guess there was gas to the slopes but no cash exchanged.

Cheers!

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well...that was fun! I got a few errands done this morning. All in all it was a good morning, but I've got to make it back to the "natural medicines store".

First I went the grocery store that had the meat on sale. One of the packages was for 30% off sirloin steak. The steak was already on sale, so with the reduced price it came to $4.20/lb. I asked the meat guy why the other meat with the same dates weren't reduced with the 30% sticker, and he said it's because the meat in the package I was holding was starting to discolour a bit. I found another package that had the same discolouring and asked if he could reduce it with the 30% sticker. He did! Yay! I also bought a one pound "cap off rib steak" for DH that was $5.60/lb. My total bill there cost $33.49.

Then I went and checked out the natural medicines at a store across the street from the grocery store. Their prices seemed a little higher than the place I normally go to, so I left without buying anything.

Then I went to the Christian bookstore and returned the CD that DH somehow got two of. They reimbursed me $18.07 in cash because we had bought it using a gift card. I bought DH a different music CD he was asking for that thankfully was on sale for $9.99 plus tax. I forgot to use the cash I was just handed, so I'm going to have to put the $18.07 on my c/c to pay for the CD I bought. The extra money being put on the c/c can just go towards other 'stuff'.

Then I went and checked out the reduced meat at a grocery store near the "natural medicines store" I normally go to. Didn't buy anything because everything was expensive and even with the reduced stickers it still was a lot of money.

I went to the "natural medicines store" and bought two 60-count bottles of probiotics for the girls. That way I wouldn't have to go back for at least 2 months. I also bought a 120-count bottle of vitamins. I also got a bottle of Magnesium Liquid to help DD1's headaches. The only problem is that the lady strongly recommended it failed to tell me that the Magnesium Citrate capsules are on sale. The liquid comes to 89.6 cents per day whereas the capsules comes to 7.4 cents per day. That's a HUGE difference! So I'm going to go back to the store later today and return the liquid and buy the capsules. Crazy! When I phoned her (after I got home and saw the flyer that she had put in my bag) and asked her why she hadn't suggested it, she said it's because the liquid absorbs into the body way better than capsules. It may be true, but that's a HUGE difference in price! Figured it out just now, and it's NOT worth $173 difference over 210 days! By the time I return and rebuy what I want, the entire bill will be $85.47. I can't believe how much money stupid vitamins and probiotics and magnesium costs! Obviously, our kids' health and well-being is worth it, but that's so much money!!! (The next time we go to the States I'm going to check out a natural food store there and hope that their prices are a lot cheaper than here...like it is with other medicine.)
    Last edited by QM; 01-07-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I left work today (at the grocery) with nothing in my hands. Well, let me take that back. I left with my hands loaded - but I wasn't paying for any of it.

An empty box for tax papers

A vegetable crate that I use for carting around market stuff

A bag of leaf lettuce (leaves that fall off the stalks when they first arrive to the store in their crates -They have to be discarded, 'coz they will rot faster being loose in the bags being in the case) - we save these and take them home and eat them. It's the same thing as buying a bag of loose leaf lettuce - but FREE - coz we just pitch them instead of bagging them up.

2 oranges with soft spots (I am making a homemade enzymatic cleaner that requires citrus peels & 3 months to make)

4 pks of hot dog buns, 3 loaves of bread. All but one loaf of bread will be going on to the animal rescue for the goats. I am loaded to the hilt with bread in my freezer. This one particular loaf came in this morning, and one of the girls ripped a small hole in the bag. I re-bagged and put in the freezer. It is one of the better more expensive loaves of whole wheat bread - so this one is MINE~

Now I am home - waiting for my vet to call me back. Baxter is licking his fur out again. He looks like a poor little hairless alley cat at the moment. 2 weeks ago he got a cortisone shot and it helped. A few days ago he started at it again. I am either going to have to take him for another shot - or the vet suggested we try anxiety pills on him. He does not do pills.... I am dreading this already... This could end up being a spend day after all

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I had to stay home today because the phone repair guy was coming. So I am reading on FV this morning and come across a post about a Amish book. So off I go to research that book. Amazon and ebay and I find it on ebay for less than $ 5 and that included shipping with a Buy It Now. Yup, my finger slipped again. I figure I can build a nice little homestead library, and if I don't like any of them, at the low prices I am paying, I can get my money back on them if I want to sell any. That's my plan

So the phone guy finally gets here. He believes there was a short on our line, and it's in the half mile stretch that is underground from us to the nearest corner. He was able to switch us over onto another pair he called it. So no noise now, and phone is working again . So the old phone in the kitchen, I hooked it back up and it is just plain wore out, not working. I found another one in the closet I had for a backup, and hung that one on the wall. It works. I just saved the price of a new phone and the frustration for shopping. It's a good day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyone is doing awesome...go you!

Well today had needed a prescription refill...and will pick up cake mixes for making cupcakes for Sophie's class Thursday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nothing here and I still have my last 20 dollars holding on to it...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

QM: I do know how much those vitamins add up to. I used to do that myself.
    Until I realized that a good old fashioned multivitamin and a well balanced diet does the trick.
    The complicated part is getting the well balanced diet.
    I try everyday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, Baxter decided that we didn't want to ruin our streak with a spend-day after all.

The vet called back and said, let's give him another shot of cortisone, go ahead and bring him in. I hung up the phone and told DH, let's go to the Dr. Baxter heard that, and shot out of the LR (yes, they do know). He is currently nestled inside the box spring on my bed. That is his go-to spot when the whole world is bringing him down. He won't be out for hours now. (Coz while he knows where he is going, he is unsure of the vet's operating hours. He figures he will hold out until he is sure the vet's office is closed for the night)... little stinkin' brat!

So, I got another no-spend for the week. Woohoo... (Unfortunately what Baxter doesn't realize is he will be having another itchy night tonight)... so I do consider this a necessary spend. We have another appt for tomorrow @ 4:45 (and that information I am keeping to myself) --- lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought gas for $2.97 a gallon.

I bought some deoderant on sale and hair bands I was down to one hair band ( recieved a $2 coupon off next trip and $2 worth of points to us when I have added them up)

I bought Little Miss's lunch box for her birthday present used a $2 off coupon from recylcing printer ink.

Thus ends my spend day
    Last edited by imagine; 01-07-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

While this was about a month ago - I still want to share it as a great find of unnecessary spending.

I was at the local thrift store. Outside they have a giant table of things that are free for the taking. Usually you will find broken, mismatched, or 'what is that?' kind of stuff. I always have to nose around to see what is there.

So on this particular day, I spy this box type thing full of holes on the top and all sides. I don't know what it is - never seen one before. But it is kinda cool (in a different kind of way) - hmmm ~ what can I use this thing for?

Then it hit me that the boys (cats) would love it if I put little items in the holes, and they could try to fish them out. I brought it home, did such & just like the script was written, the boys worked on getting their toys/treats back out of the box. What a great little toy, so much fun & FREE...!!!!

Today, I am searching the net for kitty toy ideas to make for market - and what do I see??

Smart Cat Peek and Play Toy Box | | The Cat Connection

It's the box! It is a cat toy after all. Right on!

But that is not the part that makes me warm and fuzzy all over... look at the price ----

It's $19.99 .... Nineteen Dollars and Ninety Nine Cents...

Now - that was a great un-necessary spend for sure!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today was a spend day but it couldn't be avoided. I put gas in the car. 20.00 . That will get us through the week for school and gymnastics. Picked a few groceries that were needed. Toilet paper, bananas, cran/ raspberry juice (2) , hot dog buns, can of mushrooms, 3 small frozen pizzas for gymnastics night (small ones for .79 ) , Laundry soap , Family pack of ground beef from the reduced section, gallon of milk. $18.00. Also made a trip to the bank but that was a deposit and the library but that was free of course. Hopefully I can be no spend for the next few days though until Friday when I will need a prescription filled for dd1.