The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 26
Page 26 of 328 FirstFirst ... 16232425262728293676126 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The hardest thing to walk away from was eating out when the menu ( chicken didn't thaw in time and the roast did not get cooked in time to name a few)

It would have been easier to just eat out like the family wanted instead we moved the menu list around a few times this week.
    Hubby commented we didn't have any meal on the day it was originally planned. When we made the list this week Hubby wanted to analyze why that happened, so we did.

Hubby was also supportive of the switching things around instead of eating out.

I love that man of mine.

The unnesccasary spending besides eating out that we are cutting out/cutting down. I am working on cutting out soda We have moved it to only weekends ( with the occasional I really need caffine at work that soda by the way is free)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    Nodmicks - I hope your migraine or headache goes away and stays away.

SvsS - Way to go on giving up chips. You're very motivating. Is there someone you could perhaps "gift" the free bags given to you instead? Is there someone you know that is on a tight budget and could use the "treat" (even though it's not good for their health) and would really enjoy them? What's going to happen to the chips if you don't take them?...Will they get thrown out at work? It's still a waste.

I woke up at 8:50 to the phone ringing. It was my dad. He and my mom bought a place in Florida. They sold out their share of my grandparents' (now deceased) condo to my aunt, and they've found a place to call their own. They said the prices of places to live are still really cheap although they're starting to climb. For the economy, I think that's a good thing. He also wanted to know if DH and I are interested in buying a place? I wasn't at all (because I'd rather pay down the debt we have), but when we went to Florida a couple years ago DH was very interested in the idea. I was and am so glad nothing came of it. Anyways my dad asked me, and I said 'no'. Can you imagine? All of our vacation time is spent camping in our pop-up trailer....when would we have time to maintain or enjoy a place in Florida? Even if we did rent it out to the snow birds? I wish my dad didn't ask me because now I feel obligated to mention it to DH and the idea might excite him again. Since our last visit to Florida, we have put the girls into a private, Christian school. Tuition (including fundraising) alone costs $10,075 per year for the two girls. We don't have extra money hanging to put into a place in Florida even if the prices of condos/places to live are still cheap. Can somebody shoot me yet?

Well, I should go have my morning shower and get ready for the day. Still have to wrap the birthday gift for DD1's friend and get the girls moving and dressed.

Have a good morning, all!
    I already do give away a lot of the chips, to my tenants, to friends, family. I can't even imagine what I would look like if I ate everything that he gave me ~ I boiled some baby new potatoes this morning, so when a craving strikes, I will just grab a cold one out of the fridge and munch on it (they really are quite good cold)..

Maybe it's how you mention the Florida thing to DH - hehe. Just say something casually about how crazy the prices are starting to rise back up there, and all the good deals are gone... and how glad you are that you are not still looking. Then when he casually says, "Yea, I know" - (coz men half listen to what we are trying to say anyway) - there, you told him.... haha

Have fun at your party!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I been good lately. Tracking things, talking myself out of not needed items, etc. The other day I went to dollar store, got the last 11 jars of PB on the shelf. Found bargains in the freezer area- tyson lunch meat 9 oz pkgs for $ 1 and some 15 ounce cheese pizzas $ 1 each. Reasonable purchase amount. Then called my son and got him 5 pizzas and 15 lunch meat. Left the bag of soft type candy hanging on the shelf. Yay me. I like to get the hubby one bag so I can get a few pieces for me.

So what would I give up ? Or should give up. HARD candy. I been putting off going to the dentist to get a small cavity fixed. No excuses, as we have insurance so no out of pocket dollars. This morning, a piece of hard candy got the better of a tooth and I knocked a small piece out of it. Sigh
    So first of week, dentist time. Looks like hard candy should be history for me. I always have to bite down and the crunch factor is part of the fun. Bad for teeth and not good for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Imagine - It makes it that much harder when the darn things are FREE, doesn't it ...

I think the easiest way to cut something out is to replace it with something else during the weaning out phase. (I already grabbed a potato off the counter that was cooling and started munching on it) - and it's only 9:58am, it's not time for chips! But, if I were still eating chips - I would be having some right now, because I want them. (And I just finished my fresh fruit smoothie)... here piggy, piggy....

QM - How about drinking a tea or Crystal Lt or something to calm your nerves...(you could take up recreational drugs, but I hear they cost more than wine - lol)... try to find something else special to do for yourself, so you don't feel like one of your only joys in life has been taken away from you. Life is hard enough

Lady - Why do we have to bite on that candy and eat it that much faster. Why can't we just suck on it and enjoy it the way it was intended...blah~!~ I can so relate to the candy/teeth thing - I gave up sticky types of candy (taffy, Bit O Honey's, etc) years ago coz I ripped out so many cavities that those candies were in no way pleasurable enough to warrant having my teeth repaired after I ate one.

(Also have to give up Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal after I broke 2 teeth on it one day) - and I loved that cereal! Worst part about the story - got the box at Big Lots for .75 cents... .75 cents for a box of Kashi Go Lean, can you imagine.... woohoo! The real price $375.00 for a dentist bill. That was the most expensive box of cereal I had ever eaten.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    Imagine - It makes it that much harder when the darn things are FREE, doesn't it ...

I think the easiest way to cut something out is to replace it with something else during the weaning out phase. (I already grabbed a potato off the counter that was cooling and started munching on it) - and it's only 9:58am, it's not time for chips! But, if I were still eating chips - I would be having some right now, because I want them. (And I just finished my fresh fruit smoothie)... here piggy, piggy....

[
    I am really proud of myself I only had one soda since working there ( just over a week) It was Friday. I had taking a Tylenol for cramps and wanted the caffine to kick it in faster. Plus I was so tired that AM. Coffee did not sound good and they did not have ice tea made.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had one of my light bulb moments when reading this thread this morning. The hubby is planning on retiring in less than 14 months . I know the budget will get real tight. He has mentioned working part time. But currently any part time money has been his pocket money. It will be hard getting any of it from him next year to help with bills. So I am going to spend this year, like I will have to for next year for groceries, gas, etc. I have to snowball our last loan. Make a bigger EF. Really concentrate harder on no unnecesary spending. Which is not a lot currently....but those few dollars can add up. Going to get real interesting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    I had one of my light bulb moments when reading this thread this morning. The hubby is planning on retiring in less than 14 months . I know the budget will get real tight. He has mentioned working part time. But currently any part time money has been his pocket money. It will be hard getting any of it from him next year to help with bills. So I am going to spend this year, like I will have to for next year for groceries, gas, etc. I have to snowball our last loan. Make a bigger EF. Really concentrate harder on no unnecesary spending. Which is not a lot currently....but those few dollars can add up. Going to get real interesting.
    That sounds like a great plan Lady. And that will show you (and hubby) what life will be like after retirement. It's going to be a good practice for you (without the reality already set in, in case things don't work like they are supposed to)... good luck - and we will all be here with you watching and cheering you on!

I plan on spending this year like I am already broke... (that will be a great lesson in frugality)...

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Hubby was also supportive of the switching things around instead of eating out.

I love that man of mine.

The unnecessary spending besides eating out that we are cutting out/cutting down. I am working on cutting out soda We have moved it to only weekends ( with the occasional I really need caffine at work that soda by the way is free)
    That's great that your hubby is so supportive of the switching things around instead of eating out! Way to go! That's a huge step in the right direction.

Your teeth and health will thank you for cutting out soda. We all rock for steering our health and pocket books down a different path.

Maybe it's how you mention the Florida thing to DH - hehe. Just say something casually about how crazy the prices are starting to rise back up there, and all the good deals are gone... and how glad you are that you are not still looking. Then when he casually says, "Yea, I know" - (coz men half listen to what we are trying to say anyway) - there, you told him.... haha!
    So I mentioned it to him and gave him the short version. Told him that my dad said he forgot that we started sending the girls to the Christian school so we don't have extra money to spend. I made the off-hand comment, "What does he think he's doing?...Planning our finances for us and telling us what we can or cannot afford?" He agreed and made reference that he agrees about not getting a place there. Yay.

Tracking things, talking myself out of not needed items, etc.
    Me too. Isn't it a lifestyle change?...For the better, that is?

So what would I give up ? Or should give up. HARD candy. I been putting off going to the dentist to get a small cavity fixed. No excuses, as we have insurance so no out of pocket dollars. This morning, a piece of hard candy got the better of a tooth and I knocked a small piece out of it. Sigh
    So first of week, dentist time. Looks like hard candy should be history for me. I always have to bite down and the crunch factor is part of the fun. Bad for teeth and not good for me.
    Sorry to hear about your tooth breaking. That's horrible. Sounds like a very good plan to stop eating hard candy. You'll save a lot of money at the dentist by not eating candy. It's not worth it.

QM - How about drinking a tea or Crystal Lt or something to calm your nerves...(you could take up recreational drugs, but I hear they cost more than wine - lol)... try to find something else special to do for yourself, so you don't feel like one of your only joys in life has been taken away from you. Life is hard enough
    Ya. Recreational drugs are pricey so that's not so great an idea. Maybe once the girls are in bed I should have a hot bath. The price of a tub of hot water has to be cheaper than a glass or two of wine. I just calculated it out, and one glass of wine costs $1.31. So I'll be saving $1.30 to $2.60 per evening by filling up the tub and relaxing there. And it's better for my teeth, health, weight and pocketbook. I've got to find other ways to relax and wind down after a long and tiring day.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I am really proud of myself I only had one soda since working there ( just over a week) It was Friday. I had taking a Tylenol for cramps and wanted the caffeine to kick it in faster. Plus I was so tired that AM. Coffee did not sound good and they did not have ice tea made.
    Way to go! But wouldn't a large glass of water (to dissolve the Tylenol in your body) have been just as effective as a soda? I didn't know that pop makes Tylenol work faster.

I had one of my light bulb moments when reading this thread this morning. The hubby is planning on retiring in less than 14 months...So I am going to spend this year, like I will have to for next year for groceries, gas, etc. I have to snowball our last loan. Make a bigger EF. Really concentrate harder on no unnecesary spending. Which is not a lot currently....but those few dollars can add up. Going to get real interesting.
    You can do it, ladytoysdream! We're all here for you! Keep sharing how you do it when you do it. We need all the support we can get!

DH raced in today with boxes of food. I'm glad we have the money to buy food, but what he bought wasn't exactly what I would have bought. He bought quite a few boxed, generic stuffed chicken; two in a box for $1.88. It's all full of crap and garbage. Good if you were going to eat out anyways. Not good if you want nutrition. He also stockpiled 16 jars of spaghetti sauce; they were 96 cents each. He bought 2 more jars of Cheese Whiz at $2.88 each!...I just bought 2 jars the other day at $2.99 at Wal-Mart!!!...We didn't need this! (Just looking at and typing the receipt as I go.) I'm going to return the 2 jars I bought at Wal-Mart the other day and say we don't need them. They're really good at their return policy, and I honestly don't care if they have to throw them out because "they're food". He bought a big jar of simulated bacon bits for $3.99 and parsley flakes for $2.79 (oh, so healthy! ) He bought drumsticks that were on sale for $8.29. He bought two 1/2 pints of blackberries for $1 each. He bought two containers of mushrooms for 88 cents each. He bought two 10 lb bags of potatoes for $1.88 each. He bought two 1 lb containers for strawberries for $1.88 each. He bought one pint of grape tomatoes for 88 cents each. Total bill came to $85.65. So much for not spending much on groceries this week. We were doing so good.

DH went back out with DD2 to get her a treat (a donut) and to go to another store that just opened. He's coming home with more groceries and stuff.

So far today (FOR ME!) has been a no spend day as I haven't left the house. I plan to make a list and plan ahead an excursion sometime this week for the things we need.

Well, guess I should go to drive DD1 to her friend's birthday party!

See ya soon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My friend who gets migraines will get a dollar pop from McDonald's if we are out to take some ibuprofen with if she feels one coming on. She said that the caffiene helps her head. I don't know if it is the caffiene or the caffiene/medicine combo that works.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

QM ~ At least he is buying things that resemble food... a lot of the hubbies would have come home with Chips (ah, chips... just thinking about them makes me warm & fuzzy knock it off you) - ahem...

anyway- Oreos, beef jerky ... and it sounds like he is a bit of a bargain shopper to boot...

But I hear ya, I would go insane if DH went anywhere near any grocery store...

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It will be a no spend day today because I'm not going to leave the house. It's -15. Plus college started this week and I'm taking two classes. I have 3 chapters to read and 2 homework assignments due next week. For an entertaining break in my studies we are going to inventory my bf's pantry and bathroom supplies. We live life on the edge!!

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

QM ~ At least he is buying things that resemble food... a lot of the hubbies would have come home with Chips...But I hear ya, I would go insane if DH went anywhere near any grocery store...
    I agree. He normally does buy things that resemble food. And he often buys things that are on sale; he knows that I am frugal. Maybe that's his way of supporting that and thinking he's also frugal. It's just sometimes we don't need certain things and he buys them because "they're on sale". KWIM?

I shouldn't be so hard on him....which, of course, I try not to be to his face. He told me that he is trying to save me a trip out later this week with the daycare kids. His vehicle is a work car, so he's saving me 20 cents per kilometer by doing some of the errands he thinks I'm going to do. Plus I don't have to do it with kids hanging out of the cart.

Plus when he went back out he took DD2 out for a treat. How many dads would care enough or want to spend time with their kids as well as treat them to a donut? My girls are lucky to have a dad that likes to spend time with them. And I'm lucky that he's trying to help me out. I need to look on the bright side a little more and appreciate that he's making an effort.....even though a lot of stuff that he comes home with I wouldn't have bought.

By taking DD2 out to run a few errands with him, he's also giving me time at home alone to do what I want. (Hence me typing on Frugal Village. ) As soon as I sign off though I'm going to try to tidy the house and make use of my alone time. This hardly ever happens!

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_tiger_36 View Post
    ...It's -15. Plus college started this week and I'm taking two classes. I have 3 chapters to read and 2 homework assignments due next week. For an entertaining break in my studies we are going to inventory my bf's pantry and bathroom supplies. We live life on the edge!!
    Yay for another no spend day! -15? It's 9 degrees here and all the snow is quickly melting. It's wonderful. I wouldn't mind having another mild winter like last year....not that that's going to happen.

And you do live life on the edge. Wow! Taking an inventory of your bf's pantry and bathroom supplies. Sounds very exciting! All your friends must be lined up to join you.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got a phone call this morning on our answering machine from the nearby library telling us we won tickets for both of our daughters for Disney on Ice. We entered a contest there where you get a chance to win 2 tickets to Disney on Ice if you read 5 books. They ready many, many books over the past three weeks or so giving them many chances to win. And they did! I went the library a few minutes ago to pick up the tickets. Woohoo!...Free and exciting entertainment for the family! This is the fourth year in a row we've won! The center that holds Disney on Ice gives each library quite a few tickets. Not every kids wins; it depends on how many kids participate as well as how many tickets the center gives the library.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

QM

It was the caffeine I was after with the soda

" Additional substances are sometimes added to medications to improve the effectiveness of the drug. Some drug formulas combine acetaminophen with small doses of caffeine to increase the pain-relieving effects of acetaminophen. You can often find this combination in premenstrual syndrome formulas that are sold over-the-counter for menstrual cramps,muscleachesand tiredness.Caffeineand acetaminophen are also used together in migraine headache formulas sold in drugstores."

Tylenol & Caffeine | LIVESTRONG.COM

It was actually my doctor that suggested a caffinated drink when taking tylenol or she said I could pay more and buy the med with caffinee already added if I preferred.
    Last edited by imagine; 01-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't yet posted the second batch of groceries DH bought today (will probably do it a little later as I soon have to head off to pick DD1 up at the skating arena/birthday party). Anyways, one of the items he bought were 2 very large pork bones for 18 cents. DH is going to boil them and the steak bones from tonight's supper (we're having blade steak which he's about to marinate) so that he can give them to our puppy some day. Our puppy will get one of the two pork bones on her second birthday this coming Wednesday. Didn't mind that purchase as the bones were way bigger and far cheaper than the dollar store kind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~-free-stuff-2.jpg