The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 3
Page 3 of 328 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

See guys, all these book purchases are going to be money-makers. (Either you resell the book) or you garner extensive knowledge from it. So these are investment purchases. Unlike a giant candy bar or something. There is value in your $$'s spent. (Though that giant candy bar in the moment tastes mighty fine going down - lol)...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll join!
    I bought absolutely nothing today.

I know I won't be able to do this every day, but I'll try very hard to have more "no spend" than "spend" days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am going to start 2 charts and track how much I spend for the year.

1 will be for my side businesses (things I plan to turn into money -makers) - (but not my rental business - that is a whole other ballgame). This chart is only for my little extra money-makers like Farmers Market, craft shows, things for resale to others. (Things like yarn & fabric, jewelry making supplies, etc)

The other chart will be for anything that I purchase to run the household. Food, HBA's, clothing, etc... anything that is used by DH & I personally.

I am not going to get into the nitty-gritty of things. I am not breaking down things to the penny. I will have just a few columns (food, HBA's, entertainment, clothing, misc) - other than that - I am not trying to turn it into a major science experiment. Actually I was not even going to break it down into any categories, but I thought I might be interested at the end of the year to see where the monies actually went.

I am not including any expenses such as rent, mtg, utilities, loan payments, insurance payments - anything of that nature. Just the everyday 'living' stuff. DH keeps all that information in his computer (coz he is the payer of those bills, so they are always available at a moment's notice) - I am more interested in other categories.

So starting tomorrow - I will begin to fill in the charts. And I will post at the end of each month how I made out.

Anyone wanna play this part?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I already track different things in notebooks.
    I have my energy notebook, I call it, where I track the meter reading each day, kwh for that day, weather (snow), laundry loads that day. I will now put a T down, which means I want to town that day. Very few this winter. I am trying to keep the gas consumption down for my truck.

My other notebook is for the bills and what day they get paid. I also track the gas fillups in that notebook. I can get that info from our check register.I also track stuff for the dogs, like a vet visit or any meds. Othe misc bills that come once a year.

What I need to track is the groceries better. If I can put the reciepts in a envelope and then once a week, transfer that to a notebook. This way I can look back and see patterns. Most of the groceries is cash, from money that I made extra. Not anything to do with the main budget. I am guessing I am $ 50 a week or less for groceries on the average. I need to break down into columns what is for us, the dogs, and HBA. The chicken feed I can track in the check register, because that is separate. I stockpile when I can. For example, I have not bought any TP in just over 1.5 yrs now. What is in the house, will last at least another 4 months. Awhile ago, I bought a box of bar soap for $ 1 at a garage sale. It had 75 full size bars, and we are still using them. My log for tracking household stuff is sure going to be interesting this year

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As of tomorrow, I'm going to make an effort to track our spending. It'll be hard and discouraging, but with the help of this thread I'm sure I can do it! Thanks for starting it, sabrelvssammy! I've always thought of starting a thread like this...just didn't know how to put the challenge into words.

I'm hoping to not spend a dime today. But I'm not sure how it'll play out. Going to soon have my breakfast, make my lunch and the kids' lunches and then possibly head off to a playgroup most likely. The playgroups here are free...thanks to our taxes being put to good use.

I need to be extra frugal this year. Paying off debt (our line of credit and mortgage) is my top priority when it comes to finances. I also need to make a plan for saving for two future expenses...another used van in the next year or two depending on how long our current 2003 one will last (it has rust) and a 15 year Anniversary getaway in the summer of 2014. DH said he wants to go back to where we honeymooned (in the Caribbean). Not sure where I can cut to create money for those two expenses.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    See guys, all these book purchases are going to be money-makers. (Either you resell the book) or you garner extensive knowledge from it. So these are investment purchases. Unlike a giant candy bar or something. There is value in your $$'s spent. (Though that giant candy bar in the moment tastes mighty fine going down - lol)...
    I agree and mine was actually no $ spent since i have the rewards. I have about $150 sitting there in rewards cash. The reviews of the book were good so I expect to learn a few things. If nothing else I will leave it in Dh's bathroom and let him read it and think getting a bit more extreme is his idea

Speaking of candy. If I never see another piece it will be ok. I sampled too liberally over Christmas and could alamost gag looking at a piece.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    I am going to start 2 charts and track how much I spend for the year.

1 will be for my side businesses (things I plan to turn into money -makers) - (but not my rental business - that is a whole other ballgame). This chart is only for my little extra money-makers like Farmers Market, craft shows, things for resale to others. (Things like yarn & fabric, jewelry making supplies, etc)

The other chart will be for anything that I purchase to run the household. Food, HBA's, clothing, etc... anything that is used by DH & I personally.

I am not going to get into the nitty-gritty of things. I am not breaking down things to the penny. I will have just a few columns (food, HBA's, entertainment, clothing, misc) - other than that - I am not trying to turn it into a major science experiment. Actually I was not even going to break it down into any categories, but I thought I might be interested at the end of the year to see where the monies actually went.

I am not including any expenses such as rent, mtg, utilities, loan payments, insurance payments - anything of that nature. Just the everyday 'living' stuff. DH keeps all that information in his computer (coz he is the payer of those bills, so they are always available at a moment's notice) - I am more interested in other categories.

So starting tomorrow - I will begin to fill in the charts. And I will post at the end of each month how I made out.

Anyone wanna play this part?
    I like that idea! I will include heat and electric though since I can work on those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I already track every penny down to the catatogory it belongs in. I like looking back and seeing how much we spent on electricity for say a year. I like looking back and seeing what months were the most expensive in terms of electricity and then compare those months with past years that month.

I know down to the penny how much was spent on each catagory for each year.

We spent more on clothing this year then past years. I looked at why. Hubby's clothes wore out happens about evey three year. I needed work clothing. Both Buddy and Little Miss hit growth spurts. Buddy needed new jeans and shoes. Little Miss neeeded almost eveything.

I can see that we spent $0 on movie rentals for 2012. That is lower than 2011.

I also save all recietps filed by month. I save them for a few years.

I like to be informed. I like information. I like comparing information.
    Last edited by imagine; 12-31-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typos

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really need to keep track of my spending looks like a new year is a good time to start..I really want to work on my electric and water/ gas/ garbage ..bring them down...
    I would also like to track my Hba, cleaning, and clothing for everyone...
    today is a no spend day....frozen pizza, chips, and beer along with a movie for today's entertainment...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I picked up on this thread because I'd been thinking about this very issue, as I returned from buying the "absolutely necessary to feed me" items I needed before the shops close until 2nd January. I realised that, in fact, I don't know, for sure, what IS "absolutely necessary" - and that this is going to take a lot of thought. I hoped someone would have posted THE DEFINITIVE LIST here - LOL

The simplified bottom line of Maslow's Hierarchy of Need is "Food - Warmth - Shelter". So what do you think? Is that it, for the "absolutely necessary" section? Where does vehicle-maintenance come in, I wonder.

What do you people (who've been here a while) include on your "Absolutely Necessary" spending list? Is it already posted somewhere else? If so, please point me that way - and Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Necessary here is household bills...the mortgage, electric, phone, internet connection, his direct tv package, vehicle insurance , fire insurance, newspaper, our cheap cell phones, food for us and our pets.

Me buying books is NOT necessary. I could find most of that info online somewhere. I read for information and learning, currently for making our 2 acres work for us in our retirement. The money I spend on a few books now, is from any extra that I make. I am not touching any money from our regular budget. And if I can't use a book , my plan is to resell it. So plan is to buy used at a low dollar amount. Currently going through my stash of cookbooks to get some ready to list online. Also I need to get going on my extra craft stuff here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

$4.16 to mail a book I sold for $18.78. I used a brown paper bag to wrap it in instead of buying a shipping envelope.

I tell ya.. it's tough not to spend money! I'm so used it - having it freely that I get urges to spend. It's like going on a diet and having urges to cheat. same thing.

It's like an addiction I need to curb. strangest thing. But I think that's what it is! OMG!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toffeekit View Post
    What do you people (who've been here a while) include on your "Absolutely Necessary" spending list? Is it already posted somewhere else? If so, please point me that way - and Thanks.
    Good question!
    I consider Food, Clothing and Shelter as absolutely necessary.
    I also include everything that helps me get Food, Clothing and Shelter as necessary - such as a car to get to work to pay for said items. Or, a new kitchen faucet because your's just pooped out.
    Stuff like that.

But a good question.. is there a thread somewhere here that addresses this? what is considered absolutely necessary? I'm curios as to what others think is Absolute.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today turned out to be a spend. Had to get the puppy registered with the town for his dog tags. End of the year, and new rates start tomorrow for the new year. We had him neutered this month and his rabies shot done also. Our one old dog is not going to last that much longer, and we felt it a good idea to get a young dog as a pet. So maybe some people might think pets are a luxury. We are homebodies and having a dog is a must have. So we went to town, took the puppy along, and then right back home.

I am wondering if this thread is going to get the better of me.
    I am second guessing myself already. And feeling like i have to justify my spending. Maybe this is a good thing, maybe a bad thing. I am not sure. I like to think I am frugal, well most of the time, anyways. Well the countdown is in place for his retirement. I guess I better not leave any rocks unturned in this journey.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lady - don't feel bad. Just use the thread as a way to really think about what you're purchasing. A dog license is a must. Dogs need homes too. You've frugalized in order to have a couple of dogs (is it a couple?) and you've opened your warm nice home to man's best friend. Pat yourself on the back.

Cheers!