The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 4
Page 4 of 328 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast
    QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What's necessary for one may not be necessary for another. It also depends on various factors. I honestly have no idea if someone pin points what's necessity and what is not on FV. Would be interesting to see their point of view. But personally I try to narrow down my own necessity. I would never mind someone challenging me as to why I think it is of great importance, but in the end buying it is (of course) my own decision. KWIM?

K. I just made my week's grocery list. I'll probably make it out to a store on Wednesday...making it my first Spend Day in January and spend of the new year.

This is what's on my grocery list. (I was tempted to write down other stuff from the flyers I was browsing through but really tried to limit it to what I deemed important.) I'm also planning on going to one store and price matching there as to save gas.
    - lean ground beef (will be $2.49/lb)
    - a package of Piller's Simply Free sliced meat ($2.99; we need the gluten free/natural stuff as DD1 gets headaches from the MSG in the "non-natural" sliced meats)
    - Navel oranges (buying 8....77 cents/lb)
    - English cucumbers (buying 3....97 cents each)
    - bartlett pears (buying 8....98 cents/lb)
    - one pomegranate (price matching and have a coupon makes it 49 cents) Not a "necessity" but DH likes them and I don't buy them often.
    - a bag of nachos ($1.88...DH and the girls use them to dip into chili)
    - a 5 lb case of clementines ($2.99...if the case is there I won't buy the oranges above)
    - boxed pizza (buying 6...$3.88 each)
    - generic sour cream (buying 2...$1.49)
    - NutriGrain bars (will be free with a coupon)
    - a box of Corn Flake Crumbs (for batter for chicken, etc. This is the kind DH likes since he cooks 9.5 times out of 10)
    - a bottle of multi-vitamins for adults (we ran out)
    - eggs (buying 2 boxes of 12; will have to buy at regular price since I didn't see any in the flyers)
    - a bottle of multi-vitamins for the girls (almost out)
    - a bottle of pro-biotics for the girls (we ran out)
    - 4L bag of milk ($3.99)

That's it...so far...until I find other stuff I "need" to add. Look okay, everyone?

I bought 2 large bunches of bananas yesterday and we still have 7 apples left. The fruit I'll be buying and we already have should hopefully last us a good week.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH gave $10 towards a charity at work for a chance to win $50 in scratcg tickets. He won!....and gave them all to me for Christmas! Yay! I've scratched them all and won $39. Of course, I'm not buying and haven't bought more lottery tickets with them (remember Dave Ramsay's intelligent advice from Total Money Makeover). I used $35 of the money to pay for a few groceries and other expenses from last week. I have another ticket for a winning of $4 which I'm going to cash in on Wednesday and buy a 4L bag of milk. That way the milk will be FREE!...as I have a coupon for the milk to be $3.99.

Always looking for ways to save! Muahahaha! DH wants/wanted me to use the money for coffee money, but I didn't. Little does she know! It's not frugal to buy coffee from coffee shops on the road, and I'm trying to save every penny. A penny saved is a penny earned.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~-mater4.jpg
    Click on pic to make it bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    A dog license is a must. Dogs need homes too. You've frugalized in order to have a couple of dogs (is it a couple?) and you've opened your warm nice home to man's best friend. Pat yourself on the back. Cheers!
    Yes on 2 dogs. In my avator, the white cocker spaniel Freckles who was 15, we lost back in February. He had a tumor in his lip. Buster the blonde cocker is now 15 and a half. We hope to get another year or better with him. Now Mater, the basset is 5 months, a PITA ,but learning fast. He is a keeper but there are days he makes us earn our keep. Today is one of them.
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 12-31-2012 at 03:28 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

They are beautiful!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What is absolutely necessary?

I think that is only a question each person can answer for themselves as was already said.

This thread is NOT designed to pick on anyone for any of their purchases ~ got that people. Right from the start - that is the first rule. (Feel free to add other rules you may deem necessary - as this is not my thread, it's our thread. No judging anyone if you don't agree that what they bought was necessary. Maybe it is not necessary in your world, maybe it was necessary in theirs. (Maybe that candy bar is necessary some days - as an alternative to the nut house or jail after you choke someone - lol)...

The thread is just here to use as a guidepost for the poster. Seeing things in black and white can really make a difference sometimes. Admitting mistakes, accepting 'way to go's ' for when they feel they had a good day and made a decision that they are not feeling badly about - that is what this is all about.

It's friends talking over coffee ~ it's not a trial by jury of your peers... - remember that!

For me - I believe that absolutely necessary is really very little, (but that is my opinion) -

Food (but only necessary food that fuels the body- It does not mean cokes & doritos)
    HBA's (I need toothpaste to keep my teeth intact, but I don't need teeth whitening strips to survive)
    Clothing (I need a few items to keep me warm & dry - I don't need 14 t-shirts or 8 pairs of jeans)

It's all a matter of perspective. Just because I say I don't need these things - I still have them. I eat junk food, I whiten my teeth & use perfume. I have a closet full of clothing (that I wear 1/10th of I have to confess). There are plenty of things that I have that if I did not I would certainly not perish away to nothingness.

My goal is to rethink before I make any more purchases. As I am standing there in the store with that bag of twizzlers in my hand, I need to ask myself what's the worse that can happen if I don't take it home with me? Do I have something already at home that will satisfy whatever it is I am trying to sedate? Would my life (and my waistline) be that much better off if I didn't buy it? Could I find a better use of the $$'s that I am about to stuff down my throat (that will gone in a short matter anyway)?

It's just opening up dialog between your hand & your brain before you open your purses and plunk down the hard earned cash (or credit, or whatever.... even reward points)....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post

It's friends talking over coffee ~ it's not a trial by jury of your peers... - remember that!
    I like that thought.

I am picturing coffee with flavored cream at chairs around a cozy sunlit kitchen. Laughter, hugs, and plenty of discussion.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I am picturing coffee with flavored cream at chairs around a cozy sunlit kitchen. Laughter, hugs, and plenty of discussion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to keep all kinds of charts & graphs on everything (that's the OCD'er in me - lol)

For years, I could look at any day, in any given month and tell you how many kw's of electricity we had consumed that day - I could tell you what would happen if I turned down the refrigerator by 10 degrees, I could tell you what times DH was home (it always spiked- haha) - I got a bit obsessive over the whole thing and had to stop myself.

Then I moved onto tracking my spending. I knew to the penny exactly where everything went. I could tell you where I bought, what I bought, what time I bought it, who was with me, what the weather was like & the mood I was in when I did it. Once again, obsession got the best of me. Time to abandon this madness and get a life.

Now to be honest, I hardly spend that much money now (in some people's eyes) - but in my own eyes, there is room for improvement. There is always room for improvement. This I know, because I have a craft closet brimming with supplies to make items for resale. But yet, I will purchase more stuff when I see it, because I have a great inspiration for this, or for that - (in my defense, 90% of it is from garage sales & thrift stores - so it's used items). "It's for re-sale, so it doesn't count", I reason. Yea, but it can't sell when it sits piled in the closet.

I have food in my cabinets/fridge/freezer that has been hanging around way too long. Why haven't we ate it ~ well, coz I bought something else that looked more appealing at the moment.

I have a bathroom cabinet overflowing with HBA's. Yea, I use them all eventually, but 2 dozen flavors of body spray is a bit much. Not to mention that I make scented sprays and sell them at the Farmers Market. Why on earth did I buy more - can't I resist a 90% off sale? And it goes on and on - 12 bottles of assorted body lotions, 8 tubes of unopened mascara (Loreal for .10 each- how could I walk away>>>>???)

My closet - I am ashamed to say, that I paired it down 3 years ago by about 75%, and I still only wear about 10% of what is left in there. That just means I still have too much. Until I let go of the other 90%, I shouldn't be bringing anything else into the mix. Once again, if I find it at the thrift store for pennies on the dollar - it just doesn't count.

I guess I am a sale/clearance/used junkie... and I need to get it together. Just because it's the most awesome deal I have ever seen (until the next one) - does not mean I need to grab it all and run like my life depended on it. At least I don't just buy anything that is on sale. It has to be stuff that I will eventually use. But still - it can get a bit out of control on occasions...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love, love, love this idea and thread. I really need to stop the impulse spending. And I can completely relate to the idea of it not counting if it is from a thrift store or garage sale....yet it is amazing how much I can manage to spend at a sale/thrift/etc on items that I dont even need. So I am in on this one for sure. While I know I will have slips and falls, I can at least keep climbing on the wagon and getting support here. Today I spent only 20.00 for a co pay for DH medicine...completely necessary AND I managed to walk out of the store without buying anything else....like the latest magazines.....WOO HOO me

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to the nearby convenience store and cashed in that scratch ticket I mentioned earlier. Needless to say I had the guy scan the losing ones too, and I won another $1! Woohoo! Didn't realize that I had a row in Bingo. So I took my $5 and bought the $3.99 milk on sale. I also had a coupon for a free small Slurpee (from a coupon that came in the mail). So I walked out of there with $1.01...a bag of milk and a free slurpee...all from some scratch tickets DH gave me for Christmas.

Impulse buys are a downfall for me too. I'm going to be very conscious from here on in while I'm in the store. If it's not on my list, I'll do my best not to buy it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cute pups and yeah for winning tickets!!! pets are frugal. I figure they are great for mental health. Though I sometimes question my wisdom of having 6

I don't personally feel I have to justify my spending but I sure am willing to share it and get feedback. I figure us all sharing will give us ideas and get us all gabbing and thinking. So on that thought on to todays spending!.............

Today was the last hoorah before dh and I have our financial fast in January. We really needed groceries. We had hardly bought fresh fruit/ veggies since we had our fridge packed with the foods for both holiday dinners we hosted and hoilday baking .

We spent $140 on groceries ( the nonessential were a $3.99 bottle of bubbly for tonight)

We stopped for fast food which was $11. (mmmm sweet potato fries!!!)

That was our big last hoorah before the financial fast that begins 1/1/2013 I really enjoyed my yummy, unhealthy fast food. I bet it will be just as yummy in February!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well... I thought today was going to be a frugal day - but I was invited to a friend's for eats. It's only right to bring champagne. I asked and they said to bring it. Out I went (took the dog with me).

I got back from buying 2 bottles for $30 of money I didn't have and got a phone call.
    There's an emergency visit to the hospital and they are cancelling the gathering.
    Well... I'm home with 2 bottles of bubbly all by myself now.
    $30 spent on something I didn't 'need' (or want). oh poopy.

My DD1 called to ask for my cc number to pay for the application fee $70 for grad school. if you don't have money to even pay the application fee... how the heck are you going to pay for grad school?

I'm so broke. I'm $100 under this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can the bubbly be returned? I'm still trying to get over the shock of you not wanting it How old is your daughter? Did she know the expense was coming? I know kids are hard to say no too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Can the bubbly be returned? I'm still trying to get over the shock of you not wanting it How old is your daughter? Did she know the expense was coming? I know kids are hard to say no too.
    That's just what I was going to say about the bubbly - are you even allowed to return it? I once returned a case of beer, coz I got the wrong kind. No problems at all.

Might be time for some tough love with the daughter. Did you agree to pay for her schooling? If not, might be time to tell her that you just can't swing these things right now.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Daughter is 26 and living on the edge of poverty. WHich is why she wants to go back to school. Here, you need a masters degree to succeed.
    It is most difficult to say no, especially when it comes to education. I have a sneaky suspicion she's going to be asking me for school books etc. I need a plan for that.

I'll keep the bubbly for a special occasion. I just can't think of any right now. Just really bummed about that.