The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 5
Page 5 of 328 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast
    QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd phone the store and see about returning it unopened and with the receipt. They'll probably let you. Look into it. $30 is a lot of money...especially when you don't even have it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will have a coke a bag of doritos every once in awhile I consider it a frugal little extra...being frugal is great but deprive your self to u are miserable and unhappy...My pets are a necessity I love them like my kids they all came in as strays except for Pooh so can't get rid of them..even the one that is unpotty trainable... ( I take their water away about 9:00 every nite he is better)

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just played the game of "Life" with DD1 and DH. Once retired, I had to "live on the streets" because I was so much in debt. Let's just hope I plan my real life better than that. Thankfully, in real life you get to make your own decisions...not just spin a wheel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Only you know where a tough love line can be drawn ( if one is ever even needed in a situation~ not saying it is for you either). I have had to draw the lines a few timew with my adult son. It is way harder on me than him btw! I do think education is always a good plan if one can afford it. If you can afford to help her that is awesome. Super awesome and a terrific gift to her.

If you really can't it may be a situation where you have to help yourself before you can help others ( like the oxygen on an airplane). I know nothing about your finances and would never make judgments on what others should do so bear that in mind with my next statement. I know for a fact that education is not always the end all be all to getting out of poverty. My 20 year old ds works in a warehouse currently with some super educated people that can't get a job in their field. Some of the most successful people I know do not have formal education. My 25 year old nephew is a perfect example.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I checked with a lady from our church (who sends her daughter to the private, Christian school we send our daughters) how much she charges for a kid's cut. She messaged me back that it's $12. Currently I spend about about $8 or so per kid (at a nearby salon using a coupon). Since it's important to support smaller businesses (and she's also needing an income to send her kids to the Christian school), we'll go to her the next time the girls need their hair cut. Can't say I'll always go to her, but we'll try her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree nodmicks.. that graduates are not finding jobs right now. But it is even worse for those without an education. Although she has a Bachelors degree in something - she is using it as a mental health worker getting paid minimum salary. and PT nanny work - which she gets paid more for. strange. But she has living expenses which are high rent (includes everything thank god) and she lives frugally (i'm proud of that). I think just feeding herself, her dog and paying her rent and car gas, she's already tapped.

As for me - I make a decent salary, but I got myself in cc debt that I need to pay back. stat. I'm so uncomfortable about it. It's causing me sleepless nights. If I didn't have this debt payback - I would be able to help. But every penny is going to knock it down.

Plus I already support in house and home, my daughter and her baby. According to my budget, I'm milked dry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs !!! I know it is so hard because really we do want to give our kids every benefit to having the best life possible. It sounds like you are already a rock for your daughter and grand baby. You can only do what you can do financially. We have x amount for school ( wish the oldest would go btw!). When it is gone it is gone and the kids know this. I figure we have to secure our own future first. It is a guarantee we will be too old to work one day. I can really enrich their lives later by making sure we take care of ours first.

I know how uncomfortable debt can be. Keep striving towards your goal. I seriously want everyone to have the feeling of accomplishment and security that no debt brings! I can't wait to see you kick butt on that debt in 2013!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FN...I've got some oj. If you lived closer we could have mimosa's. *snort*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Good question!
    I consider Food, Clothing and Shelter as absolutely necessary.
    I also include everything that helps me get Food, Clothing and Shelter as necessary - such as a car to get to work to pay for said items. Or, a new kitchen faucet because your's just pooped out.
    Stuff like that.
    I like the way you think. Everything that helps get Food/Warmth/Shelter is necessary. So tomorrow (Wednesday) - discount day at the DIY hypermarket for Seniors, I am going to get some more roof insulation that I know I need in certain areas of the roof. That's essential spending on both Warmth AND Shelter. But while I'm there, and while it's discount day, I'm going to get some sander belts for the hand sander we've borrowed, to sand the (new) bathroom floor. Shelter? I had to have a new floor because when they took out the old fittings, there were huge holes in the old one, under the tub in particular!

I don't think I need to spend on anything else, even Food/Warmth/Shelter-related, for a few days. But we'll see, won't we?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Even though 2013 didn't officially start til today - I can still report that I did not buy anything yesterday.

In fact, I worked at the grocery and I brought home (for free) 10 giant bunches of organic broccoli. The store owner didn't like the way it looked, and refused to put it out. The rest of us couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. The owner thought it might have gotten too cold in transit, and that would affect it's quality & shelf-life. (He has a real eye for this kind of stuff) - and who am I to argue with this logic - lol.... This stuff sells for $2.99 a bunch. So it was a profitable day.

I blanched all the florets yesterday and froze them (4 gallon ziploc bags full) - and stacked up the stems to deal with today. (I peel the skins down with a potato peeler, cut them lengthwise in 4ths & then dice them. Blanch them and freeze to use in soups, stir fries, etc).

So last night at a party I was at, us ladies got to talking (about 10 of us) - and I had somehow mentioned that I had the broccoli flowers done, but had to do the stems today. This whole process of cutting, slicing, blanching & freezing takes about an hour. One of the ladies there asked why I waste so much time doing this, and proceeded to justify her comments by saying there are so many other fun things in life I could doing, instead of wasting my time in the kitchen. Why did I not just go buy bags of cut up broccoli like she does. What I was doing was 'maddening' (she lovingly put it) -

Well, let's see.... um, you work 60+ hours a week in your job (that you hate, your words) - to make money to pay for all the things that you buy (that you then complain constantly about all the junk cluttering up your world) - and when the end of the month rolls around, you have more bills than money to deal with it all.

I work far less hours (at jobs that I have been able to hand-pick & choose and happen to really enjoy doing), I have tamed the spending demon, and come to terms with how much stuff I really need to have surrounding me in my life. At the end of the month, my money has outlasted my bills. I have plenty of 'fun' time in my weeks...

While I am chopping broccoli (and everything else - in my nice little quiet kitchen, my kitties peacefully watching me, in my comfies) - you are slaving away for someone else during the day, grabbing your bag of already chopped broccoli at the grocery on the way home -

Bottom line, at the end of the day - we are both eating broccoli. We just took 2 very different paths to get there. And really, I think I might be enjoying my broccoli just a little more than she is....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    Well, let's see.... um, you work 60+ hours a week in your job (that you hate, your words) - to make money to pay for all the things that you buy (that you then complain constantly about all the junk cluttering up your world) - and when the end of the month rolls around, you have more bills than money to deal with it all.

I work far less hours (at jobs that I have been able to hand-pick & choose and happen to really enjoy doing), I have tamed the spending demon, and come to terms with how much stuff I really need to have surrounding me in my life. At the end of the month, my money has outlasted my bills. I have plenty of 'fun' time in my weeks...

While I am chopping broccoli (and everything else - in my nice little quiet kitchen, my kitties peacefully watching me, in my comfies) - you are slaving away for someone else during the day, grabbing your bag of already chopped broccoli at the grocery on the way home -

Bottom line, at the end of the day - we are both eating broccoli. We just took 2 very different paths to get there. And really, I think I might be enjoying my broccoli just a little more than she is....
    Did you tell her all that? That would have been SO funny to see her expression had you said all that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    Did you tell her all that? That would have been SO funny to see her expression had you said all that.
    Yes, I told her that - (lovingly, of course) haha... Well, if you can dish it out, you can take it - right????

It was not a heated conversation, it was just 'friends over coffee' - lol

Plus, I got a lot of head nods when I was done from the others. I wasn't trying to be mean, I was trying to honestly answer her question to me. It did open up all kinds of dialogue after that. And yes, we are all still friends...

I almost think she got the point that I was trying to make too.... maybe things will be different for her come next New Years conversations.

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sabrel, every little poke of information is helpful. She may start to see the light and take the 'u' turn.

Great job!!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Count me in! We have lots to trim back on these days. M dh is using a gift card we received as a gift to take my son and himself to the movies might now. I have to grocery shop sometime today so I might be going to Aldi's if I make it out. I have gotten out of the loop of coupons and used to be excellent at it. Couponing will be one of my main goals again. I am due in July with baby #3 but feel that we are very well prepared so far. I would like to pay off our last debts by the end of this year if possible. We did decide to scratch any vacation from this years plans.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome, ARCMOMMY!

Page 5 of 328 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast