The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 52
Page 52 of 328 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562102152 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

no spending here today...... I do not know if Hawaii is in my call plan or not...But I will be calling Hawaii a lot.....hugs and thank u.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    Hello TNSC folks!! I am a FV lurker.... but I would like to join this challenge. I need this....In a big way
    My biggest challenges are:
    -diet sodas....they are my liqueur of choice and the vending machines call to me like some forbidden god.
    -lunches out....I am a cubical prisoner 5 days a week
    -thrift shopping
    I would like to achieve 6 spends a month.

OM hope all is well with your DS

Yesterday was a spending day.
    I went to the thrift store.I am doing the 333 closet project. Which is 33 items of clothes for 3 months. I cleaned out my closet Sunday. I didn't count my winter coat, 3 pr shoes, 2 belts but other wise I narrowed it down to 34 items. I know I was one over but I have a chunky sweater that I love, but I can not wear it unless it is freezing otherwise I burn up. (so I made a exception for it) .I had discovered that if I swapped out a pair of black pants ( I have 2) for dark brown, I would have many more outfits and variety. But I didn't have any Dk. Brown pants. I am a clothes "snob" to a point, for my basic pieces I like quality items which usually are certain name brands. Yesterday on break I thought I will just look at dockers.com....maybe they have a sale....I know I know......anyway no sale and the pants were $50 I had them in the cart....but I just closed the whole thing out and said NO!!
    Well anyway back to my spending....I ran by the thrift after work before I went to Walmart for the shopping. And lo-behold guess what I found... a pair of the exact pants I had looked at online, in my size for $2. Now tell me that wasn't fate. So those babies were mine!! So I spent $5.86 at the thrift (I got a few little gifty items to use thru the year) Then their was Walmart, oh man! I won't even tell you what I spent there....we'll just say it was over $100, under $200.

Today will be a NS here, brought my lunch and plan to stay in over lunch.
    Actually the next 3 days should be NS days. I have taken the day off work tomorrow, and plan to stay at home from the moment I get home till Monday morning.

SS- I love pumpkin!! I'll take your dented cans & some bread/muffins

Bridge
    hey way to go on the pants.... oh yes diet soda.. and living in a cubical....It was so hard when I did that the vending machines called my names.... hugs sweetie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by oheoh's momma View Post
    no spending here today...... I do not know if Hawaii is in my call plan or not...But I will be calling Hawaii a lot.....hugs and thank u.
    That is so necessary spending if it is not in your plan.

Will keep your son and you in my prayers.

Keep us updated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello TNSC folks!! I am a FV lurker.... but I would like to join this challenge. I need this....In a big way
    My biggest challenges are:
    -diet sodas....they are my liqueur of choice and the vending machines call to me like some forbidden god.
    -lunches out....I am a cubical prisoner 5 days a week
    -thrift shopping
    I would like to achieve 6 spends a month.

OM hope all is well with your DS

Yesterday was a spending day.
    I went to the thrift store.I am doing the 333 closet project. Which is 33 items of clothes for 3 months. I cleaned out my closet Sunday. I didn't count my winter coat, 3 pr shoes, 2 belts but other wise I narrowed it down to 34 items. I know I was one over but I have a chunky sweater that I love, but I can not wear it unless it is freezing otherwise I burn up. (so I made a exception for it) .I had discovered that if I swapped out a pair of black pants ( I have 2) for dark brown, I would have many more outfits and variety. But I didn't have any Dk. Brown pants. I am a clothes "snob" to a point, for my basic pieces I like quality items which usually are certain name brands. Yesterday on break I thought I will just look at dockers.com....maybe they have a sale....I know I know......anyway no sale and the pants were $50 I had them in the cart....but I just closed the whole thing out and said NO!!
    Well anyway back to my spending....I ran by the thrift after work before I went to Walmart for the shopping. And lo-behold guess what I found... a pair of the exact pants I had looked at online, in my size for $2. Now tell me that wasn't fate. So those babies were mine!! So I spent $5.86 at the thrift (I got a few little gifty items to use thru the year) Then their was Walmart, oh man! I won't even tell you what I spent there....we'll just say it was over $100, under $200.

Today will be a NS here, brought my lunch and plan to stay in over lunch.
    Actually the next 3 days should be NS days. I have taken the day off work tomorrow, and plan to stay at home from the moment I get home till Monday morning.

Bridge
    Welcome to the thread!

Oh and those pants were so meant ot be yours.

Becuae I'm curious how did you divide up your 33 items of clothing? What do you have to pick from?

I am looking forward to a report on how the 3 months went.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hey way to go on the pants.... oh yes diet soda.. and living in a cubical....It was so hard when I did that the vending machines called my names.... hugs sweetie
    How big are cubicals?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am doing the 333 closet project. Which is 33 items of clothes for 3 months.
    Wow! I just looked that up. it's a fun littel project that is a bit scary for me. I mean - you really have to think about what you really love to wear, what will go with the most, and what will look the best.
    So, kudos to you if you got it down to 34. (but.. according to the website.. assessories count )

I'm dying to know how you do with this project. Do you get to take your clothes back out of the box when you're done?

jmd
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OM, I wish your son and you well. Does he have a loved one with him who can help with communication, maybe using skype or an unlimited plan?

Much less important...today was an un-fun spend day, because I changed our meat vendor, had to order over $75, and therefore spent a couple hours moving things on my shopping plan to keep within budget. I used to try to buy locally, pasture/humanely raised, but no matter how tiny I divide the portions, using stir fries, etc., I can't keep doing it. I did, though, take my husband's favorite necco hearts out of my plan, because he is the reason I buy meat, so I may consider it his Valentine gift! He lights up when he sees I've cooked it, so there is definitely some kind of romance involved.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The 333 closet, yes accessories, shoes and your coat are actually supposed to be counted in the 33. I decided to leave those out. I have one winter coat, that I wear if it is cold.
    I posted about my 333 closet on my FV blog page if you want to see more details(the list)and my pictures of the before/after closet.
    So far I love the simplicity of it easy peasy getting dressed!
    You can take the clothes out of the box...after 3months to switch things up. many of mine went in the yard sale pile. The thing I really realized so far is... it makes you think do I "love" wearing that? If not , I really don't want it in my 33.

My cubicle is about 8 feet by 8 feet I would guess. It is my home away from home, LOL!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    SvsS - You're probably hoarding the Frugal 101 book. Guess we shouldn't be surprised with your empty box/carton obsession. You've likely burned the book knowing you.

C'mon woman! Spill the beans and teach us what you know. We need a guide. We need a mentor. We need someone to look up to.
    I will, I will - promise... after dinner

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    Thanks for the link SS! I am going to try that recipe....once my cucumbers start growing!

I just spit my tea all over! I can just picture the poor boys!

Here is a link to a recipe I like with pumpkin SS....

..... Our Old Homestead: Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze

NO spend day here today. Loving this no spending money.
    Way to go Deb-Cat! ... Glad I could give you a laugh... I will check out the recipe, thanks!
    send prayers up for our son Jeremy in Hawaii he has had a seizure......we are very worried.......hugs
    You got it girl~ Any word?

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Today I will not be spending. Zippo. Nadda. Nunka. Nil. Zero. Nope. None.
    Way to go FN! - You are rockin' this!

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    No spend day for me.
    Yea for you~~~~!

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post

I must have read that chapter in frugal 101 about going to bed early. I went REAL early. It has been SO cold here this past week.
    This is nothing better to do than just go snuggle under the covers this time of year. Winter stinks! (Sorry FN - our resident skier...)

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Nothing yesterday for spending.
    Another rockin' frugaler!

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    I just came across this while perusing Pinterest.. and venturing off into sidelines.. But I thought it was an interesting thing...

How to Buy Nothing: 22 steps - wikiHow
    Use the "Rule of 7." If something you want is over 7 dollars, wait 7 days and ask 7 trusted people whether this is a good purchase. Then buy it if you still think it is a good idea. This rule will curtail impulse buying. As you get more financially secure and have a larger disposable income, you can gradually increase the threshold upward from 7 dollars.

Think of it, there have been many times I've impulsed bought and even within 7 days.. regretted the purschase. should have waited and asked around.
    I will go and check this out...thanks!

Bridge
    Well FINALLY Bridge - you have come to see the light~ We are going to be rough on you here - you better put on your helmet!
    And you want my dented can of pumpkin & bake for you too... geez....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The 333 closet, yes accessories, shoes and your coat are actually supposed to be counted in the 33. I decided to leave those out. I have one winter coat, that I wear if it is cold.
    I posted about my 333 closet on my FV blog page if you want to see more details(the list)and my pictures of the before/after closet.
    So far I love the simplicity of it easy peasy getting dressed!
    You can take the clothes out of the box...after 3months to switch things up. many of mine went in the yard sale pile. The thing I really realized so far is... it makes you think do I "love" wearing that? If not , I really don't want it in my 33.

My cubicle is about 8 feet by 8 feet I would guess. It is my home away from home, LOL!!
    Thanks for the link to the blog.

Makes me want to go count my clothes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today was sort of a spend day. I went to coffee with a friend. We are too cheap to actually go to "coffee", so we go to McDonald's and have a dollar soda pop. Occasionally, we will splurge and get breakfast. Before xmas, she gave me a whole bunch of her extra canning jars and a book on cooking with honey that she found somewhere. She wouldn't let me give her anything for the jars or the book, so I bought her two $10 cards to McDonald's, partially as a xmas gift and partially as a thank you. She went and bought me breakfast and a soda pop (and her a soda pop) with a card. So, the only thing I really wound up spending was gas to get there and back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok- you all asked for it -

Frugality Lesson #1:

Your happiness factor, and the quality of your life, is not measured by the number of apps that you have on your cellphone, no matter how hard they try to convince you of such.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    Your happiness factor, and the quality of your life, is not measured by the number of apps that you have on your cellphone, no matter how hard they try to convince you of such.
    One of the local markets that I do a couple of times a year sent out this recent email regarding a workshop for social media networking. This was part of that email.
    Please bring a laptop. tablet, or smartphone.

I own none of these devices.
    Just a cheap cell phone that I pay $ 7 a month to have service.
    So I guess I stay home and don't attend. I don't want them laughing at me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    Ok- you all asked for it -

Frugality Lesson #1:

Cellphones have apps? Like what?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    One of the local markets that I do a couple of times a year sent out this recent email regarding a workshop for social media networking. This was part of that email.
    Please bring a laptop. tablet, or smartphone.

I own none of these devices.
    Just a cheap cell phone that I pay $ 7 a month to have service.
    So I guess I stay home and don't attend. I don't want them laughing at me.
    If you want to go - do so... just say your your laptop is broken and at the repair center.

It is amazing that everything is revolving around computers anymore. I know so many older folks that do not have them, but they are expected to have access to certain things only via online.

We are becoming a society that won't even be able to think for themselves in a few years anyway...