The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 55
Page 55 of 328 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865105155 ... LastLast
    Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought food today - just over $13. I was out of coffee creamer so I went to the store I found spaghetti sauce on sale - 26.5 ounces for $0.48. Normally it is &0.98 for 24 ounces.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I guess I am in the camp where I don't much want gifts. And I hate surprises!

As Bridge mentioned, if I can eat it, or use it up, or it fulfills a current need that I have, and will continue to fulfill that need almost every day or so - then sure, I could use it - and would appreciate it. (But I will usually talk you out of buying me anything altogether anyway).

But for the most part - those that know me, know that I am not into 'material' objects as signs of expression. I would rather have DH take the time to make me a card on the computer (no matter how crude or simplistic it may be), than to go and buy one for me. A few sentimental words (of his own) scribbled on a piece of paper is much more priceless.

For my birthday, or anniversary or x-mas or whatever - DH knows not to buy me 'stuff'... His gifts to me are to spend the day with me, (uninterrupted), and to do exactly what I want to do (without whining- lol) - that is the greatest gifts that I can ask for and that is what I want.

DH on the other hand, wants no gifts or objects either. His perfect gift day is spending a day on the golf course (with his friends) & then a night at home with his wife, watching TV & eating a home cooked meal.

Anymore, we combine a bunch of holidays together and then just take a vacation together.

We really are simple folks after all... (and I am SO glad at that!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    I guess I am in the camp where I don't much want gifts. And I hate surprises!

As Bridge mentioned, if I can eat it, or use it up, or it fulfills a current need that I have, and will continue to fulfill that need almost every day or so - then sure, I could use it - and would appreciate it. (But I will usually talk you out of buying me anything altogether anyway).

But for the most part - those that know me, know that I am not into 'material' objects as signs of expression. I would rather have DH take the time to make me a card on the computer (no matter how crude or simplistic it may be), than to go and buy one for me. A few sentimental words (of his own) scribbled on a piece of paper is much more priceless.

For my birthday, or anniversary or x-mas or whatever - DH knows not to buy me 'stuff'... His gifts to me are to spend the day with me, (uninterrupted), and to do exactly what I want to do (without whining- lol) - that is the greatest gifts that I can ask for and that is what I want.

DH on the other hand, wants no gifts or objects either. His perfect gift day is spending a day on the golf course (with his friends) & then a night at home with his wife, watching TV & eating a home cooked meal.

Anymore, we combine a bunch of holidays together and then just take a vacation together.

We really are simple folks after all... (and I am SO glad at that!)
    Sounds like your love language is quality time and acts of service.

I must say I feel that no one love language is better than another one. It is just how that person is wired.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No spend day here.

I also want to brag about my family. I am so proud of them.

I bought Friday's Family fun night foods a week in advance. The bag of chips and the bottle of soda sat on the counter in full view for the whole week. When I unpacked them from the store, they asked what they were for. I said "Friday". No one even cracked the seal on the chips or the soda even though they were in thier face the whole week (The kids even were home alone on a vacation day from school while Hubby and I had to work)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The weekend is finally here!

What does everyone plan to do with theirs?

The 2012 girl (I used to be) would have gone to the 20% off Big Lots Sale, followed up by Dollar General coupon day.
    But now that I am older (2013) & a little wiser - I have kicked those plans to the curb!

I will stay home and do the following:

2 loads of laundry
    Wash the sheets/blankets on the bed
    Clean both bathrooms
    Vacuum the house
    Clean out the refrigerator (not rotting foods, just not all shiny bright anymore)
    Bake- brownies, choco chip cookies, banana bread, pumpkin bread (or muffins)
    Make a huge pot of chili & freeze some
    Make homemade salsa & homemade relish (a 1st for both - will be interesting)

In the afternoon -
    I will work on setting up my seed trays
    Clean up my craft room
    Craft some & computer some
    Tap a NAP!

In the evening -
    I will park myself on the couch in front of the TV, DH in his recliner - and we will watch either NetFlix or ID on cable...
    Then I will fall promptly asleep and find more fun projects to do on Sunday.

By the time Monday morning rolls around - I will be on top of the world. My pocketbook will be no lighter - however, my workload will be dramatically decreased tenfold!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Friday family fun night
    Saturday My mom comes for Family Birthday celebration day. ( Buddy, Little Miss, and Hubby's birthday party combined)
    Sunday Birthday sneak out Breakfast Hubby always wakes up the birthday kid on a weekend and they sneak for a special breakfast out together. This year becuase they like to some year and becuase of busy schedules the kids decided they want o have their special sneak breakfast together. So they will all sneak out for breakfast and leave me here. ( my birhtday is not this month LOL)

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Imagine - I hear you on the love language thing. I think I've read that book before. I might even own it. Can't remember. My love language is "acts of service"...that's how I feel loved. I show love by "acts of service" as well. DH on the other hand likes to show love by "giving". I hate it. I don't want "things". Things fade away and/or don't get used and are a waste of money. This is the problem with love languages. You've gotta be creative in how you give of yourself and receive from others.

Today ended up being a spend day. Went to get the dog a nasal spray she needs to stay in a kennel. We're going in a few weeks to a waterpark a few hours away and will need to board her for a couple nights. I looked into the cost to board her already, and it's about $25 plus tax per night. Oh well. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to have fun with the family. Her vaccine cost just over $30. DH also arrived home with over $60 worth of groceries. I'll tally up the cost of groceries this week and see where we are. I think we're still under $125...but we'll see.

On a VERY positive note, the mortgage came out of the bank today....AND we now have 9 years 0 months left on our mortgage! WOOHOO!!! I'm SO, SO happy about this. All those pre-payments seem to be helping! I love seeing the number going down!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Ladies..
    Today, I spent. I bought 3 storage bins to store my clothes in during the next three months while I participate in the 333 closet project. While I was at Big Lots, I bought 5 hand soaps for 80 cents each. and shampoo and condiction for $6 for both.
    Total spent $54. grrr. I didn't want to spend anything. But I needed some bins.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi again! I haven't been posting, but I've actually done pretty well this month - so far. My monthly totals are lower than average.

Kroger has a really good sale, though, so I may spend quite a bit on groceries before the end of the month. They are things I need and good stockpile items. There are also some good meat prices, there and at regional chain, and the freezer is getting rather bare. Even so, it should be a good month for me.

I'll finally see a paycheck at the end of the month and will finally be able to do some real planning. Right now I'm just waiting to see how the tax changes and other changes I have made will come out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    Imagine - I hear you on the love language thing. I think I've read that book before. I might even own it. Can't remember. My love language is "acts of service"...that's how I feel loved. I show love by "acts of service" as well. DH on the other hand likes to show love by "giving". I hate it. I don't want "things". Things fade away and/or don't get used and are a waste of money. This is the problem with love languages. You've gotta be creative in how you give of yourself and receive from others.
    So true have to be creative of how you give of yourself and recieve from others. Does put you in a bit of a struggle with you not liking gifts and Your DH's language being gifts.

I think one of the most loving things to do is speak someone's love language to them. So much easier if you and loved ones speak the same or similar ones.

Hugs to you QM?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well yesterday was a no spend day even though I planned on spending for nightschool. That will change to Monday. Today I bought groceries so I did spend on that. Totally neccesary thought as we must eat. $102.88 on the weeks groceries. Oddly enough I forgot to get my friday slurpee. Perhaps I have broke the habit ?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are out of homemade treats for DH.

Last night he got into the Little Debbie Snackcakes (peanut butter bars & cupcakes) - We both looked at the treats and I commented on how 'unappealing' that they looked, after all the homemade stuff. He said he was thinking the exact same thing.

I just might have created a monster ~ lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post

I will stay home and do the following:

2 loads of laundry
    Wash the sheets/blankets on the bed
    Clean both bathrooms
    Vacuum the house
    Clean out the refrigerator (not rotting foods, just not all shiny bright anymore)
    Bake- brownies, choco chip cookies, banana bread, pumpkin bread (or muffins)
    Make a huge pot of chili & freeze some
    Make homemade salsa & homemade relish (a 1st for both - will be interesting)

In the afternoon -
    I will work on setting up my seed trays
    Clean up my craft room
    Craft some & computer some
    Tap a NAP!

In the evening -
    I will park myself on the couch in front of the TV, DH in his recliner - and we will watch either NetFlix or ID on cable...
    Then I will fall promptly asleep and find more fun projects to do on Sunday.

By the time Monday morning rolls around - I will be on top of the world. My pocketbook will be no lighter - however, my workload will be dramatically decreased tenfold!
    Sounds like what my weekend is going to be like..... exactly!!!!

Today was a no spend day AND I added $337 to the savings envelope.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Imagine - I didn't mean to hit the Way to Go button on your last comment to me. Blame my Smartphone being too small.

Have a good night, all!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Cellphones have apps? Like what?
    This was a serious question not sarcasm.

I know they access the Internet. And I have seen the walgreens ad for taking a picture of your prescription bottle to recorder not sure how that works. Maybe you send a picture text?