The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 56
Page 56 of 328 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966106156 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Friday was a spend day. I bought more groceries. And, that evening, we bought a bunch of $5 pizzas and hung out with a friend at her house. It was fun and we never do anything like that.

Saturday will be a spend day also. I have 68 lbs of apples coming. My friend is taking 10 lbs of them. My teen boys will eat the rest of them.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today and Monday will definitely be spend days for me. Reason is that I've booked massages for DD1, DH and myself and we have to pay 10% out of pocket. DD1 and I are splitting a one-hour massage today, so it'll be $4.50 per person out of pocket. I booked more massages on Monday for DD1 and myself, so it'll be $6.50 out of pocket for me and $4 out of pocket for DD1's massage. I can't wait until 11:30 today!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    This was a serious question not sarcasm.

I know they access the Internet. And I have seen the walgreens ad for taking a picture of your prescription bottle to recorder not sure how that works. Maybe you send a picture text?
    My friend gets coupons on hers and freebies...But I am sure there is more that I don not know about....

yesterday was spend on groceries..today will be Cigs..I am sure
    going to spend the weekend cleaning......

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday was a no spend.
    I hope today is also. Currently I am in dog house with hubby because he wanted to go to a outdoor sporting goods show and I started asking questions. Like what did he want to buy. So he gets
    grumpy with me. I had to remind him, the budget does not have room for extras. Sigh. So we didn't go and he calmed down and is watching tv. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    This was a serious question not sarcasm.

I know they access the Internet. And I have seen the walgreens ad for taking a picture of your prescription bottle to recorder not sure how that works. Maybe you send a picture text?
    I am far from an expert on smart phone capabilities - but I think if you pay enough each month, you can even get it to do the dishes for you... (just kidding on that one) - but it would be nice.

Yea, you can get apps for your smartphones. DH has a weather app & the DOW app and a few other ones. There are even apps that you can track your spending & weight & etc... technology, gotta love it.

Not for me though, other than recording stuff here & on an occasional piece of paper - that's all I need.

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post

I will stay home and do the following:

2 loads of laundry
    Wash the sheets/blankets on the bed
    Clean both bathrooms
    Vacuum the house
    Clean out the refrigerator (not rotting foods, just not all shiny bright anymore)
    Bake- brownies, choco chip cookies, banana bread, pumpkin bread (or muffins)
    Make a huge pot of chili & freeze some
    Make homemade salsa & homemade relish (a 1st for both - will be interesting)
    Good afternoon everyone!

I have been a busy, busy camper!

I got 3 loads of laundry done & put away (some things are still hanging to dry)
    sheets are washed and the bed is made back up
    both bathrooms are clean
    DH vacuumed the house for me
    that's coz I was so busy baking this morning -

4 batches of brownies
    1 batch of banana cookies
    2 batches of choco chip cookies
    2 pumpkin breads
    1 banana bread

salsa is done - (can't say I particularly love this recipe (off the internet) - but it is edible anyway, will try a different one next time)
    relish ingredients are soaking in pickling salt - later I will can up a few jars (only making a very small batch in case I don't like this recipe either)

Lady ~ the pumpkin bread recipe you shared is fabulous! Everyone needs to try this one. I did reduce the sugar to 1/2 like you suggested in your email, also used baking powder instead of soda.

These banana cookies are pretty darn good too - Banana Cookies Recipe | Simply Recipes

(according to my taste tester DH - who is the one going to eating all this stuff)

Got a lot to freeze and that is helping take up some space in there. Also getting a couple of gallons of milk from my friend that will go in too. I wanted to make pudding this morning, but was getting low on the milk, and decided against it. I don't want to have to BUY anymore. Then I get a call that we got milk dropped off from the dairy. YEA! (Well actually, my friend gets the milk, but she shares with me coz I share my garden bounties with her) - she gives me all the apples from her trees that I can use, I make her applesauce ... it's a win-win friendship! (She also has eggs & OJ for me today too) - good, coz I used up 2 dozen eggs this morning in all my baking.

Found a big container of chili soup in the freezer - didn't have to make any today - dinner tonight is done!

Tore apart the entire refrigerator and cleaned & reorganized it. Looks 1000% better. I didn't realize just how dirty it had become.

So now I am resting for a bit - trying to get some more energy.

My next project is to tear apart my craft room. I have decided that it will temporarily house my plant starts. I have no where else I can do it without the cats tearing it all apart. I can section off this area, and even though it has just a small window, I have an exterior door close by - when the weather gets nice I will be able to take the trays right out onto the patio to 'harden off'. I have a couple of workbenches in there already & shelves, and it will make the perfect little greenhouse for the time being. I could even change out the lights to grow lights if I get a wild hair (but then my electricity bill will go up - so the jury is still out on that one) - usually I start the plants in the garage - but it's cold out there. This will be better for the plants and me.

So, maybe I will start on that project after I have my nap. And I have all day tomorrow too...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Holds head high.....and goes to the spend clubhouse

I really really did plan to stay home all weekend.......... But........
    I got a email this morning with a deal at Staples. They had a HP Pavillion sleekbook (laptop) for $247.50 and a $50 rebate that ends today. That would make the laptop $197.50. I had planned to get myself a new laptop when I get my tax refund, but I had planned to spend $398 for a very similar laptop.I need to replace my 10++ year old laptop, it is just a matter of time. So I bit the spending "bait" and went and purchased the laptop!
    Yes this was probably not really necessary.....my laptop still works, it's just really old and running xp. But I keep thinking it is just a matter of time before it clunks out. It was a Walmart black-friday laptop over 10 yrs ago, so it has been a really good bargain.

I also stopped at walmart and returned a item so that was $54 back in my pocket.
    My parents asked me to stop at the store and get them bananas, bread and sanitizing wipes. I ended up getting, pk of lunch meat, red pepper, bag chips & vital wheat gluten so another$7.57 --all but the chips was necessary, but I really wanted the chips --

This was the really totally un-necessary spending, I hit the drive-thru for lunch and spent $3.21

Now I like to always see the positive in things.....so really the laptop purchase saved me $200.50 and I also got the $54 back from the return. I believe that sometimes you have to think AHEAD to save money on things you know you will need in the future.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have $15 left on my budget for January's spending, and I plan to use it for 2 jugs of milk and 1 dozen eggs, or maybe Folger's coffee, with coupons.
    Blizzards kept me home mostly, for the past 2 weeks.
    Over the Christmas holidays, I cut up 53 unusable garments and made 53 more rug-rolls; after that, I made 15 dishcloths from cotton t-shirts (they colour match my kitchen decor); altered 1 pair of pants, and am altering another pair at present, mended some lingerie, sorted my sewing and crafting projects, and am feeling happy about all my repurposing. It sure cuts down on my spending.

I've also sorted through my cupboards and pantry a few times, and know what I have, so no unnecessary spending there. And I made 2 batches of buns/cinnamon buns and 1 batch of biscuits. Everything turned out very fluffy because (for the first time) I used a cup of mashed potatoes in the batter for each recipe. These are the best buns I've ever made! I made candy and cookies when my sweet tooth started craving sweets. And I also made more turkey soup, and made meals go further with rice and pasta. Last week, I sorted my potato bins, and processed a big pile of them...I made crinkle-cut French fries (2 bags), 1 large casserole dish of plain, boiled potatoes, 1 pot of mashed potatoes (which I also used for chocolate-peanut butter-potato candy, plus the buns and biscuits).

Because of the sewing, cooking and baking, I didn't need to do much shopping. And I did my accounts a few days ago, so I know exactly how much money I have left on my January budget. So far I've spent money on rent, utilities, Safety Box Deposit (almost $38, though it's once a year only!), and about $50 for food, etc. and most of that was to stock up on ground beef (on sale), and for milk and a few more necessary groceries (cornmeal, bran, apples, bananas). My only regret was spending $2 on after-Christmas candy (sugared jujubes, which tasted awful, like gasoling or petroleum for flavouring!). That was supposed to be candy for my music studio, but I ended up eating it, it was so awful...never again will I buy that kind of candy...it's Scotch mints from now on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Because of the sewing, cooking and baking, I didn't need to do much shopping. And I did my accounts a few days ago, so I know exactly how much money I have left on my January budget. So far I've spent money on rent, utilities, Safety Box Deposit (almost $38, though it's once a year only!), and about $50 for food, etc. and most of that was to stock up on ground beef (on sale), and for milk and a few more necessary groceries.
    I so agree with this mindset.

If you keep yourself distracted, (and shopping is a distraction for people, let's face it) - it's just an awfully expensive distraction. Keeping yourself with other things to do (besides said shopping), and you really don't miss going to the stores. In fact, distract yourself long enough with other things - and you don't want to go to the stores.

I would like to add that for me - cleaning and being on the internet are also great distractions. When I feel like I am missing something in life that I need to have (coz everyone else does of course), then I just start cleaning and working around all the stuff that I do already have in my possession. That usually brings me crashing right back down to earth, and allows me to regain my senses from the temporary loss of insanity.

The internet does the same thing. I don't spend time 'shopping' in virtual stores. I like to read blogs & hang out in the FV forum. I watch youtube videos on how to make things & other educational stuff. I can watch NetFlix documentaries.

I would even rather watch TV than go out shopping. Yea, they say that TV rots your mind. I guess it depends on what you watch. DH & I are mostly into 'learning' things - so we spend our time watching 'History, Discovery, Animal Planet', etc... we used to really like TLC, but anymore - whatever Honey Boo Boo & all the other stupid programming they are going to has to offer - we have better things to do (like stick forks in our ears - lol)....

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I spent about $95 at the grocery store last night, but got a LOT of groceries for that - for a change. What made me happiest were the 24 cans of tomatoes for .48 each. It seems that canned tomatoes have become very expensive, and I use a lot of them. These sales usually run 2 weeks and if does, I may add more to the stockpile. I also got 12 cans of veggies for .29 each. I might add more of those too if I have the opportunity. I don't particularly like canned veggies, but since I grew up with them, they're edible, and a godsend when time is in short supply and energy even shorter.

Other things at random - some canned soups, frozen pot pies, and microwave pizzas, all quick things to take to work if I don't have leftovers. Better to have a $2 pot pie for supper than to have to go out and spend $6-7. Some crackers that I will only buy when they are on sale, margarine to keep on hand since my butter supply is running low, and odds and ends. Some produce, no meat - I couldn't find the sale meat I wanted. No loss, it will come around again some day. Spaghetti sauce, spaghetti. All of this is good stockpile stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So today I spent but I knew I would. I bought my Dad a birthday gift. A combination air nailer/stapler he wanted. It was on a great sale at Harbor Freight for $21.99 plus a nice little old lady was in line behind me and changed her mind about what she was buying so she gave me the coupon she had and told me to use them. I was thrilled. That made the nailer thing $17.59 and she had another one for a free flashlight with any purchase and handed me that and the flashlight! Bonus! So I got my dad an awesome caddy all filled with hundreds and hundreds of hooks,nails, screws, etc. regular priced at $24.00 for $3.00 and the nail gun for 17.59 which was originally $34.99 and a free flashlight was was originally $4.99. So I spent $20.59 on what was originally $63.98. Woohoo! Also DD1 and I got a slurpee on the way home. $2.39. Back home now with frozen pizzas from the freezer in the oven and pajamas on. Hopefuly I won't leave this house again until Monday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Wow! I just looked that up. it's a fun littel project that is a bit scary for me. I mean - you really have to think about what you really love to wear, what will go with the most, and what will look the best.
    So, kudos to you if you got it down to 34. (but.. according to the website.. assessories count )
    I did it. I pared down my closet to 33 pieces of clothing. You don't have to count the PJs, lounge clothes, bathing suits, undergarments, belts, socks, exercise clothing. I did pare that down to 3 pieces each (on with the "3" theme). You're suppose to count the accessories such as jewelry and scarfs. (I did not because I had to add winter layers whereas the south does not.) But I pared down the accessories to the bare minimum.

I also now have 1 winter coat, 1 scarf, 1 hat, 1 pair of gloves. I pared down my shoes to winter boots, black boots, dress shoes, clogs and sneakers. I pared down my purses/bags to 1.

I took a photo of each garment and then set up each as a unique outfit on a word doc page - Top, Bottom, Shoes. I counted 105 different outfits I could wear. That's !! 105 !! That's incredible! I carefully picked clothing that will mix and match, and they did, so very well.

However, I'm going to change out my leggings for a tan pair of Dockers I stored away so that I can get about 7 more outfits out of the set up. My leggings only gave me one outfit. So, I'm going to can it and the sweater that went with it. I'll pick something else more versatile.

I'm so excited to experience this art of minimalism with my clothes.

My closet and drawers are so clean and organized! Only the necessary things are there. I just love it!

You should try it. I was scared at first. Hesitant. pondering, and then said.. Oh what the heck. It's not like I'm throwing the clothes away, it's that I am storing them out of sight, out of mind. If I didn't need them in 3 months, it's likely that I didn't need them.

In three months, I will switch out for the spring ensemble.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by oheoh's momma View Post
    ...going to spend the weekend cleaning......
    Is your house any cleaner? That's something that I really need to focus on this week. Maybe I have a touch of what DD2 had the other day...not to the same degree but I've been so tired for the past few days. I really need to get my act in gear and start cleaning the house as we have a Bible study at our house this coming Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    ...Currently I am in dog house with hubby because he wanted to go to a outdoor sporting goods show and I started asking questions. Like what did he want to buy. So he gets grumpy with me. I had to remind him, the budget does not have room for extras. Sigh. So we didn't go and he calmed down and is watching TV. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record.
    My DH would explode if I said "the budget does not have room for extras". I don't think he understands what a budget is. If he wants something he uses his c/c. If we can't pay off the c/c when it comes due then we use our Line of Credit to pay off the c/c. It's terrible. I know. I'm glad your DH decided to stay home and not go. Did the day get any better?

...Yea, you can get apps for your smartphones. DH has a weather app & the DOW app and a few other ones. There are even apps that you can track your spending & weight & etc... technology, gotta love it.

Not for me though, other than recording stuff here & on an occasional piece of paper - that's all I need.
    I'm sure I could set up my Smartphone to do all those things, but I (like you!) don't want to bother. If I knew what I was doing with the stockmarket then the DOW app would be kinda cool, but it's no help as I don't know what I'm doing.

...I have been a busy, busy camper!

I got 3 loads of laundry done & put away (some things are still hanging to dry)
    sheets are washed and the bed is made back up
    both bathrooms are clean
    DH vacuumed the house for me
    that's coz I was so busy baking this morning -

4 batches of brownies
    1 batch of banana cookies
    2 batches of choco chip cookies
    2 pumpkin breads
    1 banana bread

salsa is done - (can't say I particularly love this recipe (off the internet) - but it is edible anyway, will try a different one next time)
    relish ingredients are soaking in pickling salt - later I will can up a few jars (only making a very small batch in case I don't like this recipe either)

...So now I am resting for a bit - trying to get some more energy.

My next project is to tear apart my craft room. I have decided that it will temporarily house my plant starts. I have no where else I can do it without the cats tearing it all apart. I can section off this area, and even though it has just a small window, I have an exterior door close by - when the weather gets nice I will be able to take the trays right out onto the patio to 'harden off'. I have a couple of workbenches in there already & shelves, and it will make the perfect little greenhouse for the time being. I could even change out the lights to grow lights if I get a wild hair (but then my electricity bill will go up - so the jury is still out on that one) - usually I start the plants in the garage - but it's cold out there. This will be better for the plants and me.

So, maybe I will start on that project after I have my nap. And I have all day tomorrow too...
    WAY TO GO! I'm so jealous! How do you have so much motivation and energy to get all that done? Want to come to my house and kick my butt?

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    Holds head high.....and goes to the spend clubhouse....
    Sounds to me like you got a really good deal. I don't blame you for heading your head up high today. I, too, would be mighty proud of myself. You saved a lot of money by buying it now and not waiting a few months 'til it conks and you have to buy a new one at full price!

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I've also sorted through my cupboards and pantry a few times, and know what I have, so no unnecessary spending there. And I made 2 batches of buns/cinnamon buns and 1 batch of biscuits. Everything turned out very fluffy because (for the first time) I used a cup of mashed potatoes in the batter for each recipe. These are the best buns I've ever made! I made candy and cookies when my sweet tooth started craving sweets. And I also made more turkey soup, and made meals go further with rice and pasta. Last week, I sorted my potato bins, and processed a big pile of them...I made crinkle-cut French fries (2 bags), 1 large casserole dish of plain, boiled potatoes, 1 pot of mashed potatoes (which I also used for chocolate-peanut butter-potato candy, plus the buns and biscuits).

Because of the sewing, cooking and baking, I didn't need to do much shopping. And I did my accounts a few days ago, so I know exactly how much money I have left on my January budget. So far I've spent money on rent, utilities, Safety Box Deposit (almost $38, though it's once a year only!), and about $50 for food, etc. and most of that was to stock up on ground beef (on sale), and for milk and a few more necessary groceries (cornmeal, bran, apples, bananas). My only regret was spending $2 on after-Christmas candy (sugared jujubes, which tasted awful, like gasoling or petroleum for flavouring!). That was supposed to be candy for my music studio, but I ended up eating it, it was so awful...never again will I buy that kind of candy...it's Scotch mints from now on!
    Everyone (including you) is so hard working on this thread. I'm jealous! Way to go for getting so much done today!

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I spent about $95 at the grocery store last night, but got a LOT of groceries for that - for a change. What made me happiest were the 24 cans of tomatoes for .48 each. It seems that canned tomatoes have become very expensive, and I use a lot of them. These sales usually run 2 weeks and if does, I may add more to the stockpile. I also got 12 cans of veggies for .29 each. I might add more of those too if I have the opportunity. I don't particularly like canned veggies, but since I grew up with them, they're edible, and a godsend when time is in short supply and energy even shorter.

Other things at random - some canned soups, frozen pot pies, and microwave pizzas, all quick things to take to work if I don't have leftovers. Better to have a $2 pot pie for supper than to have to go out and spend $6-7. Some crackers that I will only buy when they are on sale, margarine to keep on hand since my butter supply is running low, and odds and ends. Some produce, no meat - I couldn't find the sale meat I wanted. No loss, it will come around again some day. Spaghetti sauce, spaghetti. All of this is good stockpile stuff.
    Awesome deals! I wish we had those kind of deals where we lived as I would stock up too! So glad you got so much food for such a good price!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamielane View Post
    Also DD1 and I got a slurpee on the way home. $2.39. Back home now with frozen pizzas from the freezer in the oven and pajamas on. Hopefuly I won't leave this house again until Monday.
    Yay! A slurpee! Always nice to have a small treat from time to time!

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    I did it. I pared down my closet to 33 pieces of clothing....
    Wow! Good for you! You probably feel so much lighter having that stuff packed away!

I didn't get as much accomplished today as I would have liked. I folded and put away 4 loads of laundry. That's about it. Cleaned up after supper?...does that count?

I really should get out my notebook and make a good To Do List and figure out what stuff we 'need' by way of food. Maybe I'll do that once the girls go to bed.

BBL!

jmd
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No-spend day, lots of school work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well didn't get started on the craft room yet. That is going to be tomorrow's project, seeing that I am tearing it apart, instead of just straightening it up.

I currently am working on cleaning up my computer. Organizing my pictures, documents - deleting a bunch of un-needed crap! Uncluttering...

Also have been getting a planting schedule together for the garden. When to start the seeds, when to sow the plants outdoors. It is month by month chart, and will be posted down in the garden/craft room. Organization is the key here!

Got 2 jars of relish canned and a little extra in the fridge for now. After it has time to season I will be able to tell whether the recipe is a keeper or not. I don't like cucumbers - but this has motivated me to grow them in the garden and make relish, pickles and such this year. I do like that stuff...

~ Cree Indian Prophecy