The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~ - Page 8
Page 8 of 328 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858108 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just looked up the cost of the lens cleaner on line and it is cheaper at my Eye doc then online. Bonus! I would not have guessed that.

It is also cheaper then the ones at Walgreens as I can buy the refill and fill up the handy travel bottles the eye doc give us when we buy new glasses.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to refill little Miss's travel eyeglass cleaner for school and the cap was broken. The cap in a necessity for school. So we head back to the eye doc to buy a little one too.

We told them why we were back and they gave us a new travel size one with a new eyeglass cloth for free. That was so sweet of them.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by oheoh's momma View Post
    today is a spend day have to get milk and a loss of income hubs is sick today...
    Sorry your hubby is sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiasmama View Post
    ...feeling pretty good about walking away.
    Way to go for walking away and planning ahead. Awesome job!

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Soory I i\didn't mean to click WTG hubby was sick. I'm not to swift on the kindle! Sorry he is ill.
    I saw the WTG button and for some reason pressed it too. Oops...didn't mean to copy Nodmicks. I, too, am sorry he is ill.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    Anywho ~ I like her replacement (a lot) - but I hate paying the $70 (plus tip) each time. And now that I am getting to be really old - 6 weeks go by and I am way long overdue for color (the gray is really getting bad) - so I am thinking that I need to start coloring every 4-5 weeks. And I am not going to spend that kind of money that often. So it's time to cut the ties... ('cept for trims of course)
    You'd probably never darken their door, but personally I go to First Choice Haircutters and have them cut my hair. I also use a $3 off coupon. So by the time taxes and tip are in I pay about $15. (And I go about every 6 months.) Would you ever try to find a good haircutter from there? The lady I go to is awesome. But your hair might look way better.

DH and I were both going to get half the groceries/items because that's all DH "felt" like buying. He didn't want to price match, so he was going to leave it to me. Long story. Anywho, he messaged me this morning and said he'd put the girls to bed this evening and I could get all the groceries. Yay for me. Wish he could have done it all for me, but who's complaining?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SS~ Oh no not the hairdresser! I agree it can get very expensive though. It is absolutely ridiculous since I am one but I often end up paying for mine over the last few years. We are too busy at the shop. All the girls besides me good with long hair either changed shop, went to school or got disabled. I go to a shop a former coworker and friends runs. She always gives me a killer deal. She went to a cheaper chain that always has coupons and thank heaves they comp them the coupon value. Last time she charged me $40 for a foil and cut by stacking the coupons they had out. Add a $20 tip and I spent $60 as a stylist to get my hair done! I know it is a deal because I charge $108 for the same service. I end up paying 2-3 times a year. I hate paying but decided it was well worth it for me. There are good and bad stylists everywhere and price doesn't determine skill

Imagine that was nice of them to throw it in!

QM you are brave. If i sent dh to the store it would be all junk food!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had no idea hair cuts and coloring was so expensive.

The boys ( Hubby and Buddy) get their hair cut every 4 weeks? approx. Maybe 6 somtimes. They spend $25.90 for both after tax.

Hubby had been complaining about the cost of the boys' hair cuts. He asked if I could cut their hair. I could not tell if he was serious or not. The thought of cutting thier hair scares me.

Little Miss and I rarly get our hair cut.

I do color my hair from time to time. I use the box at home with coupon. How much does that cost? Around five dollars?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Actually I know women that pay a lot more than that - they think I am getting a bargain! (However, a bargain to me is doing it myself) - so I shall. I did it for years, and it's something that I got quite good at. The biggest mistake I made was making friends with my hairdresser. It was an excuse to go visit her ~

The work day is over. Thought about stopping and grabbing bananas & pumpkin at the grocery on the way home, but I talked myself from it. (No fresh bananas for DH tomorrow - he will get to have thawed blueberries from the freezer on his cereal) - the pumpkin is for the boys (my cats) - we are still working on the homemade cat food, and pumpkin is supposed to be very good for them and they are suppose to like it. (And I told them that)...! We'll see how they feel about it though. So it is not an emergency or anything - it can all wait for another day.

Ate dinner at home - took lunch to work. All in all, a cheap day for me.
    I am glad I am home - I miss being home.... I wish I could stay home all day everyday.... I like home....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well.. happy to report that today - I had nothing necessary to spend on and nothing unnecessary either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm joining this for sure. Last year was shockingly expensive between necessary, unnecessary, and borderline expenses. Past time to trim the sails.

I was on vacation from Dec. 16 to yesterday, and in that time only spent $21 - because I was too lazy to go out and I don't have internet at home to shop online, so I had no way to spend money. I will have to make up some for that in the next couple of days.

I spent a ghastly amount on the birds tonight. I have a flock of male finches who live to build nests, and since they are caged, I feel like I owe them that entertainment. Unhappily, they are picky and refuse to use anything but a kind of grass I get at an online specialty shop - it's thin and soft and they can weave it easily. It's not very expensive, but the shipping there is outrageous. Still, a couple of times a year I cave and get it for them. If I don't have enough, they start stealing it from each other and that doesn't make for a happy community. Next month I need to lay in some more seed, but that should cover bird expense for a long time.

I also bought a couple of sale audiobooks from Audible. This is one of my "personal necessary" expenses. I don't have tv or home internet, so audiobooks and the birds are my entertainment. They make me happy and keep me sane.

I'll probably go grocery shopping when I get off work tonight. I've really, really wished I had potatoes for two and half weeks, just not enough to actually go out shopping. I think it's time to get some. I also need a few other things, but one thing I'm going to do this month is mostly eat from the stockpile. I had two really big, unexpected and unavoidable expenses in December, and my CC bill is three times what it usually is. I can cover it - barely, but I want to keep expenses down so I can catch up a little.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went out tonight while DH put the kids to bed. First went to a convenience store to get a free coffee (coupon expired today). Then I went to get gas in my van...$82.33. Then I went to Staples Business Depot and got a car expense ledger book to track my business km's for my home business...it was $4.21. Then I went to the library and got some stuff out...put $1 towards our library fine. Then I went to a Wal-Mart Supercentre. Did some returns there (of stuff we bought quite a while back) and got about $67 worth put on a gift card. Bought all my groceries with the gift card...only thing extra I bought that wasn't on the list was a can of coffee on sale. Have about $1 something left on the gift card. Then I went to a grocery store and bought their lean ground beef that was on sale for $2/lb. I bought 25 lbs worth of lean ground beef as well as a pepperoni stick (for pizza) and gluten/MSG-free cold meat (for DD1). I found three tear tabs at the grocery store's gas station...in total $1.75 which can/will go towards free groceries in the future.

Out of pocket today I spent approx. $144.72. That doesn't include the groceries because they were 'paid for by prior stuff' so to speak. Yay!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I ran to Khols use up my gift card. DS needs some new pjs, so I went in looking for her luckily the had about 6 racks of 70-80% off as well as an additional25% off. I bought her 2 gowns for now,4 for later, a shirt, pants and Christmas dress for next year. This was not necessary, but oh so cheap! The fancy Christmas dress was marked $5 so I paid $3.75 for a dress that retailed $50! After my $20 gift card, I only paid $12!

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

qsaver704 - Personally, if I could get my hands on a couple pretty Christmas dresses for $3.75, I would count it in as a necessity. If you waited until October/November to find one, they'd be 4 or 5 times that price easy! So, in the long run (as you already know) you're saving money. Sometimes you have to buy ahead to save. I know because I have to do the same thing with my girls.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I already spent this morning. But it is for re-sale.

I have a whole bunch of jewelry half-made on my work table. All need some kind of part or another to finish them. I have been holding out until I can make a nice size order (it's not the parts themselves that are so bad, because I am able to purchase them wholesale - it's the shipping that kills me)

So I finally hit the purchase button on my cart ($32 worth of product - $9 shipping) - (I have to admit that it is coming from overseas) - and now my I have my first spend day of the year.

It is really not a painful purchase -
    1 ~ because it is all going to make me money in the big picture
    2 ~ I paid for it with what I call imaginary money. What is imaginary money you ask - and how do I get some - lol

Well, I take surveys on the internet (lots and lots of surveys) - there are 4 ways that you can get compensated (the companies make that decision, not the survey taker) anyway -
    `you can either get a check or Visa card mailed to your home
    `a virtual visa (I hate these personally)
    `monies put into paypal
    `amazon.com gift cards (don't really care for the restrictions on these either)

So I let all the monies pile up in Paypal & Amazon and use them for special things. For example Paypal's balance from last year paid for our resort & spending money in Cancun this past Dec. (Now I am saving for the next trip the same way) - but I also just paid for this purchase from Paypal.

So in essence, I never actually see this money until I withdraw it. So I like to refer to it as imaginary money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well - unfortunately, today will be a spend day as I need to go to the manicurist. It's a thing I have. A nursing 101 training. 'well-groomed nails is a must'. Maybe just the school I went to - but I'm afraid of that nun who taught me that. lol

This will be the last time I visit her on a regular basis. I was going every two weeks. It was costing me $60-$100 each time, for an average of $155/month.

They upsell me all the time. They've got me hooked on gel for my nails. The only problem with that is that you're dependent on the manicurist to remove the gel. It's a scam! You must return every two weeks for removal and reapplication. and it's not cheap.

So, today - I'm going to bring in just enough cash for a regular mani and nothing more than that. I noticed that if I have more cash on me - they find a way to take it. You seriously can not go in with your purse or your wallet. Once I told her that I needed to cut back on mani's becaue I had not money, she had the nerve to ask me.. 'don't nurses make a lot of money?" I replied, yes - some do - but it's all in the how many bills you have. I didn't return for several months after that comment and she called looking for me. sigh

I'd change manicurist place - because they're a dime a dozen here, but she's so good and I've had her for 17 years.

So, is it really necessary? maybe not 'necessary' per se. I could potentially let my gel grow out while I paint them. But (see above) I have this thing about well groomed nails.

Cheers! wish me luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Well - unfortunately, today will be a spend day as I need to go to the manicurist. It's a thing I have. A nursing 101 training. 'well-groomed nails is a must'. Maybe just the school I went to - but I'm afraid of that nun who taught me that. lol

This will be the last time I visit her on a regular basis. I was going every two weeks. It was costing me $60-$100 each time, for an average of $155/month.

They upsell me all the time. They've got me hooked on gel for my nails. The only problem with that is that you're dependent on the manicurist to remove the gel. It's a scam! You must return every two weeks for removal and reapplication. and it's not cheap.

So, today - I'm going to bring in just enough cash for a regular mani and nothing more than that. I noticed that if I have more cash on me - they find a way to take it. You seriously can not go in with your purse or your wallet. Once I told her that I needed to cut back on mani's becaue I had not money, she had the nerve to ask me.. 'don't nurses make a lot of money?" I replied, yes - some do - but it's all in the how many bills you have. I didn't return for several months after that comment and she called looking for me. sigh

I'd change manicurist place - because they're a dime a dozen here, but she's so good and I've had her for 17 years.

So, is it really necessary? maybe not 'necessary' per se. I could potentially let my gel grow out while I paint them. But (see above) I have this thing about well groomed nails.

Cheers! wish me luck!
    I am unfamilair with gel nails. Are they similar to paint or more like arcylic nails?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I am unfamilair with gel nails. Are they similar to paint or more like arcylic nails?
    It's like painting your nails except the paint has an additive (like acrylic - but not quite) which it gets hardened under flouresent light thing. My mani lasts unchipped for 2+ weeks but not 3 weeks. A regular mani gets chipped in a few days. (I'll just touch it up with paint)

Page 8 of 328 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858108 ... LastLast