The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~
Page 1 of 328 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~

One of my goals for 2013 is to try not to buy anything more than what is truly necessary for this family.

Everything that I buy needs to have an immediate or real and true purpose in our day to day living.

In this thread I will post what I buy each day (new or used) - anything that causes money to leave my pocket. And then try to justify my purchases. (I think food is a no-brainer for sustaining life) - however, that t-shirt that I just bought, to keep the other 24 company is saying something different, which I will try to figure out my reasoning behind.

I challenge the rest of you to join me in this thread. Let's get our consuming under control. Let's build up our bank accounts, while pairing down the useless cluttering that tends to collect around our feet.

I hope you all will join me...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I been trying to do this for awhile now, but not tracking it.
    i call it selectively buying. One thing that helps a lot, is the less I go into stores. In the winter, this is easier. In the good weather, lots more temptation.

Well we are looking at some changes in this household if the hubby goes through with his retirement plan. This would happen in about 14 months. So the lightbulb moment happened today, and I decided that the budget for the this new year coming will be based on what we will have coming in for retirement money.
    We are going to practice. Maybe it will help change his mind about retiring early. Probably not though. He is stubborn. Any extra money will be used toward the home equity loan to get that paid down quicker. And we will have to use some of his OT money from this winter for buying some wood for the outside furnace, our source of heat.

Only thing been buying lately is a few groceries, gas, and the food for the dogs and chickens. I spotted a few deals for this coming week, so it will be stockpiling some coffee and canned vegtables. I did buy a cookbook on ebay this past week, but it was under $ 5 and that included shipping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We did buy something besides needed clothing, hba, household consumable, home repair stuff, and food since Christmas.

Total splurge. The big bang theory game. We had a friend lend us her game and we loved it. So we bought one so we can return hers. So much laughter and family fun time. It was so worth the $$.

We have always been mindful of our spending even more so after trying the compact out.

I will be following this thread with great interest.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We decided Jan was going to be a sort of financial fast for us. If it isn't totally necessary or a regular monthly bill/expense it isn't getting purchased. We have a few monthly bills that could be scrapped in worst case scenario but they won't be for our January fast. These are the phone/internet/basic cable bundle and our sons school fees.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like this thread... and have a dilemma already.
    Here it is...
    During my spendy days - I purchased a season ticket to a local mountain to ski. It seemed like a good deal at the time.

I can ski, I think, but lost my confidence after a tumble last season, which caused considerable damage to my calf muscle and put me out for the rest of the season. I went to the slopes this morning and had a total panic and couldn't get on the lift for fear of falling. (which isn't good to ski with a fear of falling- it's tightens everything up - you need to be loose)

So... I can ski - but I feel like a lesson or two would help with my confidence $40 each. I don't particularly have this extra cash laying around - but I am afraid that I won't get use of my season pass at the mountain if I don't get myself on the lift.

Therefore - is taking a couple of lessons worth it? I think so..
    Or, should I just suck it up and do it on my own since I know how to ski (albeit horribly)

Cheers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    I like this thread... and have a dilemma already.
    Here it is...
    During my spendy days - I purchased a season ticket to a local mountain to ski. It seemed like a good deal at the time.

I can ski, I think, but lost my confidence after a tumble last season, which caused considerable damage to my calf muscle and put me out for the rest of the season. I went to the slopes this morning and had a total panic and couldn't get on the lift for fear of falling. (which isn't good to ski with a fear of falling- it's tightens everything up - you need to be loose)

So... I can ski - but I feel like a lesson or two would help with my confidence $40 each. I don't particularly have this extra cash laying around - but I am afraid that I won't get use of my season pass at the mountain if I don't get myself on the lift.

Therefore - is taking a couple of lessons worth it? I think so..
    Or, should I just suck it up and do it on my own since I know how to ski (albeit horribly)

Cheers!
    Take the lessons. It's a investment in your safety and you may get tips on how to avoid tumbles or tumble safely.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
    Take the lessons. It's a investment in your safety and you may get tips on how to avoid tumbles or tumble safely.
    Agreed - Maybe you can learn in just 1 lesson even - who knows... start small, start with 1, and go from there.
    Be careful and good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay then.. one lesson to start... $40 (considered necessary for my own safety) I like how I can justify that.

But I really think it will help me overcome my fear of a new, unknown territory. I'm used to skiing Sunday River in Maine ( humungous mountian. ) and I know that mountain well. Here, it's all new.

Cheers! and thanks for a quick response. Appreciated.
    Don't want to hijack the thread.

Carry on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in.... no unnecessary buying. I'm on a fixed income now so...

My problem is going to be my dd. She can be very insistent and strong willed to the point of bullying. With all her problems it's going to be a challenge. I see lots of prayers in my future (sigh).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Okay then.. one lesson to start... $40 (considered necessary for my own safety) I like how I can justify that.

But I really think it will help me overcome my fear of a new, unknown territory. I'm used to skiing Sunday River in Maine ( humungous mountian. ) and I know that mountain well. Here, it's all new.

Cheers! and thanks for a quick response. Appreciated.
    Don't want to hijack the thread.

Carry on!
    You can hijack anytime on my threads. I think everything said has some value to it! (Sometimes the hijacks are more interesting than the original posts anyway - haha)....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onencgirl View Post

My problem is going to be my dd. She can be very insistent and strong willed to the point of bullying. With all her problems it's going to be a challenge. I see lots of prayers in my future (sigh).
    How old is your DD?

Maybe you could include her here in the thread.

Let her help do the posting when you do buy things - and tell her that you want the daily post to say "We didn't buy anything today" - give her a magic # (like if we can post 20 days out of 30 that we didn't buy anything - or whatever # works for you) that at the end of the month there is going to be a special reward for the 2 of you.

Show her the smilies and let her pick a different one every time she posts (kids love smilies)....

Just a thought anyway ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    how old is your dd?

Maybe you could include her here in the thread.

Let her help do the posting when you do buy things - and tell her that you want the daily post to say "we didn't buy anything today" - give her a magic # (like if we can post 20 days out of 30 that we didn't buy anything - or whatever # works for you) that at the end of the month there is going to be a special reward for the 2 of you.

Show her the smilies and let her pick a different one every time she posts (kids love smilies)....

Just a thought anyway ~

great idea!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since your profile says you are 60 I'm assuming your dd is an adult?

What kind of things does she ask for? Are they necessary? Even if it is for mental health and not just physical health. Are they in your budget or not?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dd is 31, mentally challenged, (she was oxygen deprived at birth), also has a personality disorder. She reads about a 2nd grade level. She is just very hard to handle at times. Very demanding. Not enough space here to explain it all. Do y'all have a week or two to spare for listening? lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My dd is 31, mentally challenged, (she was oxygen deprived at birth), also has a personality disorder. She reads about a 2nd grade level. She is just very hard to handle at times. Very demanding. Not enough space here to explain it all. Do y'all have a week or two to spare for listening? lol
    I am assuming that she lives with you full time? If so, why not try to incorporate her into the 'saving game'.

It may require a different approach due to her disabilities - but maybe you could make a calendar for you two, that when you have a no spend day you can post a giant star or other fun sticker. Or maybe have a 'treat box' where you draw a card (which you have made up earlier) - with a reward (let's go watch TV, or lets bake some cookies, or lets go take a walk around the block - or whatever she considers to be a special treat - besides shopping for stuff - maybe do a craft together or something)...

My sister's son is autistic. He is a non-communicative (meaning he has a special book with things, people & places, and he has been trained to make sentences by pointing out what he wants or needs). He is 29 yrs old. And also very demanding. Couple that with the fact that he cannot speak and he freaks out a lot. So I get what you mean by the being hard to handle & demanding. Unfortunately you cannot reason with him at all about anything. All you can do is do your best to keep him calm & relaxed. (And the fact that he is 6.5" is a HUGE problem too - no pun intended - haha)...

Big hugs to you!

Page 1 of 328 12341151101 ... LastLast