2014 Grocery Budget Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by calimomx2 View Post
    I'm in but won't set a budget until after January, I want to track January to see what I'm spending and then decide if I need to cut or add to the budget. At this point it is pretty much just dh and I (our youngest is gone more than he is home these days) plus the dog and the cat.
    After January, I'll be able to determine whether my budget is realistic or not.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Decided to make monday my grocery shopping day every other week.
    Dh bought $50 of sale groceries.

Registered User MakeADollarHollar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For those who always fail at the grocery budget challenge I feel your pain. I am always the Biggest Loser in this challenge but I never give up trying to meet my goal.

I just checked my spreadsheet and with our first purchase on January 4, 2013 to what I spent today and a guesstimate of what I'll spend tomorrow (~$150.00) our total grocery spending for 2013 will come in at roughly $7,515.00 PLUS our weekly pizza delivery that the husband paid for out of his account brings our grand total to $8,867.00 for the year. That includes food for two adults and up until late July, food and treats for two tiny dogs (one passed on), and anything and everything that went in to our garden which sadly was a total bust for the year. Our grand total weekly budget was roughly $171.00.

January of 2013 we started eating healthier, more fruits, veggies and lean meats. This increased our costs for the entire year. I also refuse to let certain parts of our stockpile get depleted so certain things I maintain at a constant level. However, as our tastes and likes have changed over the years, I have a much better grip on what items to maintain and what items we can eat down. This is part of my plan for 2014. The things we will continue to eat I have loaded up heavily on and have my "buy" price noted in my spreadsheet. Other things we will be eating down on a monthly basis. We are also going to reduce our pizza deliver to twice a month. So, eating down a portion of the stockpile each month and adding in a few extra dollars from the husband not footing a weekly pizza bill should bring us somewhere in the range of $140.00 week (average) or a total of $7,280 for the year if my rough math is right.

Because of the way I shop I've learned it's nearly impossible for me to stick to a weekly or even monthly budget. I'm more of a "big picture/long term" girl. So, while we'll budget for $140.00 a week, my ultimate goal will be to come in less than $7,280.00 for the year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with your strategy. I tend to buy the same things every week and make large runs about every other month for things like dried beans, raw nuts, etc. I also order meat from Organic Prairie and order in bulk for free shipping. I get my wild salmon from Vital Choice and buy in bulk. I'll have to average it over time but just writing it down will curtain unnecessary spending. I have gift cards for restaurants but usually only go a few times a year but will use them. I never order delivery so that's not an issue. My weekly trips are usually for Greek Yogurt, fresh fruit, fresh veggies and fresh seafood (0ther than salmon). I am certainly more mindful of spending, thanks to this forum.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH decided to invite 3 of his friends over tomorrow to watch the bowl games with him. He will be feeding them lunch so he stopped at the grocery store again today. He spent $28 on beverages, chips, cheese, sausage, etc. As long as he was there I had him pick up an extra gallon of milk and a sale whole chicken. One of the guys he invited has fed him several times over the past year at his house when they play cards I'm glad he has the chance to do the same for his friends. He agreed to use the left over hot beefs.
    He will be doing respite care for one of our clients who loves football so will make enough money to pay for the groceries.
    I'm going to officially tally grocery spending tomorrow January 1.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

did my last big grocery purchase for the year so I will start fresh tomorrow. Went ahead and did some 'splurge' purchases since I probably won't have room in the budget.... well, there will be room I just won't spend it
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really envy those who keep track of their spending consistently throughout the year. Having confessed that..... Shall mak keeping track of grocery spending this year a priority.

Our lives are crazy - mine traveling inter island monthly if not more often - better use of my money than wasting food.

$125 is my tentative weekly budget. Awareness will be my key!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Count me in...we are a 3 person family with 1 medium sized doggy. Our budget is $500/ month for the next 6 months and then $600/ month budget for the remaining months of 2014. This includes HBAs and cleaning products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I separated out my dog supplies/food because I don't buy it at the grocery store and I have a special line item in my budget for pets. I am including cleaning supplies and tissues/tp/paper towels since I do buy those at the store. Personal items (shampoo, etc) has a separate line item in the budget.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok I will attempt this. I always spend way too much on stockpile items when I find a really good price. I have myself, dh & a cat. Each month my budget will likely change. For example, Jan & Feb. The budget will be $75 each month since we really need to eat from the stockpile. So we will only need produce, milk, eggs type of items. I have the $75 set for each month, but I am really going to attempt to only buy those items we need & see if we can use less than $75 per month. The cat is god on food for a few months & we have more than a few months of h&b. We will also be moving to cash only for the shopping to help me with temptation. This budget is only for h&b,cleanimg supplies & groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I went to the store, knowing I had to account for it made me thing twice about what I was buying. Tomorrow I'm cooking some chicken I had frozen and making rice and split peas. That'll last me three days and I love it.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well... We have managed to cut down on our food budget, and still have a way to go. But we will never get close to the amounts you write. I guess it is all part of living in the high north. Our food budget for 2014, for two adults + two children (including paper/soap/etc) is 1600 USD/month. In 2013 we used more than that every single month, except December.

In addition to a goal of never exceeding 1600 any month, I want to spend maximum 1000 USD at least two months in 2014.
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was really hoping not to set foot in the store for at least a week but I couldn't help myself! I returned some items to WM that I bought yesterday. Found I was overcharged and it just made me angry so I returned for a refund instead of arguing for a price adjustment. While there I picked up some clearance items that I had coupons for and a bottle of juice. Then stopped at Wags and got some free eye shadow with overage and used that to pick up some kettle corn, my new addiction

On the way home I stopped at the salvage grocery store, hadn't been there in ages and the shelves were overflowing. I bought

6 cans tomato soup
    6 cans tomato paste
    2 containers sugar-free frosting
    8 boxes pudding mix
    1 container oatmeal
    4 boxes scalloped potatoes
    1 box stuffing mix
    1 box breakfast biscuits

total spent 17.52
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm single and have $40 left on a GC and I'm going to try make that my grocery amount for January. I should only need fresh fruits, veggies and coffee creamer. Probably unrealistic but it will make me thick twice about shopping and that is very important.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~So, I'm very pleased with my spending average for 2013. I came in at $322 a month, just groceries, for our family of five. In addition, I spent $300 extra for the 8 weeks my parents stayed with us and another $100 on various special birthday treats throughout the year.
    And because we used our cash back credit card, we earned about $100 on food purchases which I spent on home improvements.
    My budget will be $325 a month for 2014. I will add a bit extra to this when my parents plan to visit. I will be putting in a small garden this spring. I now also have a super collection of canning jars so I can take advantage of my co-op's big buys.~

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast