How Did You Save Money Recently? - Page 23
Page 23 of 73 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Came home from work Saturday afternoon and didn't leave Saturday or Sunday. No gas used.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Went to vets office to tell them their flea med is NOT working. She gave me FREE a sample of a different kind that supposedly is better but more expensive and the heart worm has to be bought in addition to since it's not in the med itself. But the sample was free and the heartworm $6.50. If this works I can buy a 6 month supply far cheaper. Thank God.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought three brand-new 3-cup collapsible Tupperware bowls at a garage sale for fifty cents each. Along with the two I have, they're my spiffy new salad bowls for making up my salads in advance to have ready, so I don't have to portion them one at a time which drives me crazy and leads to overeating. Less work, less temptation to add just a little bit more, less of an excuse not to eat right when the food is sitting there in the fridge all ready.

I also got two larger folding T-ware bowls for $1 each, so $3.50 for all five, all in new condition. And I thought I got a great deal last year when I got two smaller ones and one of the larger ones for $10, since those three retail for $45. Lucky me. I still can't believe the ones I just got were still there since we were late to the sale. I guess they were meant to be mine.

I made a double batch of WW black bean soup for the freezer. I don't know what that saved but it has to be cheaper than buying WW prepared meals. I'm sure it tastes better, has less sodium, and less additives, too. Better for me!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I mega-cooked meals for the freezer for October on Friday. Total cost $175 CAD for 3 adults, plus I used what I had in the house. Technically I only needed half a month's worth of meals. Still, even at twice that price that's a good deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We decided Sunday to take the 17' awning off of our motor home and put it on our house over our big deck. We're junking the motor home so might as well. We won't get anything much for the moho, if we get anything at all, so anything we can reuse, we're keeping. I think we'll like having the awning out there. It gets pretty hot on the deck sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Long story short - I got a new job and I"m moving out of state. I was going to sell my house so I had a realtor come over this morning. I owe 50k, need to spend @5 k, best I can hope for is to sell the house at 55k (realistic is 51-52k) plus closing costs. The house has lost 25% of it's value since I bough it in 2001. (plus this turns it into a house instead of a rental and I will lose tax credit for the work I've done on the house this second half of the year.) So I've decided to not sell the house and to keep renting it out.

Well my 18 year old son and his friend both work 1/2 block from my house (opposite shifts, 12 hour days/6 days a week). I spoke with them tonight and they are willing to rent the house and sign a rental agreement. I'm still going to do the planned work on the house and they will not move in until December/January time frame. At this time I don't figure I have much to loose by giving it a try.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy October! I'm *hoping* that most of the back-to-school cash hemorrhage is behind us now, because it has been BRUTAL the past two months!!! *BUT*! DD10's school spontaneously started a dance club this past week (first practice was today.) It cost me $42 for jazz shoes and will be about $50 later on for the costume, but this is an otherwise free extra-curricular. DD7 also wants lessons, but this way I only have to pay for one set of lessons (if I can find an ok place I can afford.)

And while overall grocery savings have been hard to find lately, I did stack a coupon on a sale today at Weis and paid $.17 per box for two boxes of pasta. Since I'll be using the egg-noodles tomorrow and the fettucine later in the month--both to feed my extended-family-of-eight, keeping them from buying pizza on my charge card--I count that as a multi-faceted savings.

And in that vein... Sis has been doing terribly the last month or two, and I discovered she was using my "emergencies only" card to fund near-daily "emergency" pizza and grocery-store deli trips... so now that Hubs is in night school 4 nights a week, I've been working super-hard to make five dinners-for-eight each week. On Mondays and Thursdays the kids and I drive to Sis' place (45 minute drive) and eat with them, leaving heat-and-eats for the other days. It's exhausting, but ultimately healthier for all involved and cheaper for me. Usually it's me and my two girls, her and her two girls, sometimes the boy is there too, otherwise I save him a plate. I also set aside a plate for Hubs, which is his lunch for the next day.

Hubs and the girls are also taking packed lunches (Hubs takes dinner too) most days. Again, it's a lot of work making sure everyone has what they need when they walk out the door in the morning, but with school lunches at $3/day now and Hubs would be buying lunch and dinner in the city... it's a necessary evil.
    In times like these, it helps to recall there have always been times like these.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Going to buy Dmom some flowers to cheer her up w/ a $20. credit I have. Hoping it wont be more than $30 more w/ delivery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm still dumping lye down the kitchen sink, which probably won't do any good, so tonight when Husby gets home we'll be tearing apart the trap under the sink and shoving something down it to clear the clog. It's unlikely we'll call a plumber. Where's the fun in that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Making hm chili and gonna can it. Tomatoes from my moms garden, green peppers from my brothers garden, tomatoes that volunteeed from my daughters garden last year, and onions my daughter planted this spring. The only money I have in it is hamburger, spices, beans, time and energy. It takes a family to make chili
    2020 Goals:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Probably doesn't belong on this post cause I didn't save money......I spent it.....and, it wasn't necessary.....but, I am always buying things for other people.....I am celebrating being a 16 yr survivor of bc so I ordered a pink purse, a neon yellow tote bag and some crosses from Sam Moon....I deserve it! This is so unlike me....hubby isn't going to believe it...LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bookwormpeg View Post
    Probably doesn't belong on this post cause I didn't save money......I spent it.....and, it wasn't necessary.....but, I am always buying things for other people.....I am celebrating being a 16 yr survivor of bc so I ordered a pink purse, a neon yellow tote bag and some crosses from Sam Moon....I deserve it! This is so unlike me....hubby isn't going to believe it...LOL
    Congratulations!!!! You deserve to celebrate and spoil yourself a little.
    2020 Goals:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I managed to get the sink unclogged. It's still slow so I'm going to put a fresh batch of lye into it every day for a while and see if I can get rid of some more of whatever crud is stuck in there.

We got a wild idea two days ago which would have involved buying some land, but luckily we came to our senses. I don't know if that's a savings or not, really. I guess it is, since the money is still sitting there in the bank instead of being handed over to someone else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A friend offered to fix my fan in the bathroom and my shades in the living room. It was about two hours labor and I consider it a blessing as well as money saved.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I managed to get the sink unclogged. It's still slow so I'm going to put a fresh batch of lye into it every day for a while and see if I can get rid of some more of whatever crud is stuck in there.

We got a wild idea two days ago which would have involved buying some land, but luckily we came to our senses. I don't know if that's a savings or not, really. I guess it is, since the money is still sitting there in the bank instead of being handed over to someone else.
    Have you tried baking soda and vinegar? Just a thought....
    2020 Goals:

Page 23 of 73 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast