How Did You Save Money Recently? - Page 3
Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dumped a huge load at S.A. and didnt go in! continued down the road back home and passed several G.sales and an estate sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by LynnLC View Post
    And scored a great deal ($1000 per trip) to bring my Army son home from Germany this visit & next....They make shat money, it's very stressful & they make them pay for food & uniforms so I'd rather he spend his money on other things.
    LynnC, he is in the US services? Is he enlisted or officer? I'm asking because if he is having to pay for his own uniforms, I would assume he's an officer, making a minimum base pay of $2905 per month, not including either a room in the barracks or an allowance for housing. An officer also receives $246.24 for food. If he's enlisted, the minimum he could be making would be $1531/mo, and only for the first few months, BUT he should be getting either a food allowance of $357.55 or a cafeteria meal card, uniform allowance after the first two years (after the ones they give them free at basic training start to wear out), plus either a barracks room or housing allowance.

I will never argue against paying our servicemen and women fairly, but when *I* was a young E3, paying 1/6th of my income per month for the first year into my GI Bill (it's free now), I still paid my own way home for the holidays... granted, it was only from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic, not trans-Atlantic, so much less expensive, but the point is, unless he's supporting a family while paying off student loans, he shouldn't be suffering too badly. Just be sure you're not getting suckered, Mama You can search "military base pay 2014" and see by rank what he should be getting in base pay per month. Add to that the BAS (food allowance I mentioned above) plus the housing allowance if he's not in base housing (you can look that up under "BAH," as it varies by location.) As I mentioned, if it's just him, he shouldn't be hurting too badly. Where we see trouble is when a young person with a spouse and three kids and a bunch of debts joins the service and is living off that low beginning pay... in which case they should qualify for a supplemental pay as well as possibly WIC (or whatever the overseas equivalent is.)

But you are a kind mother for buying him a ticket. And we are grateful for his service.
    In times like these, it helps to recall there have always been times like these.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post
    LynnC, he is in the US services? Is he enlisted or officer? I'm asking because if he is having to pay for his own uniforms, I would assume he's an officer, making a minimum base pay of $2905 per month, not including either a room in the barracks or an allowance for housing. An officer also receives $246.24 for food. If he's enlisted, the minimum he could be making would be $1531/mo, and only for the first few months, BUT he should be getting either a food allowance of $357.55 or a cafeteria meal card, uniform allowance after the first two years (after the ones they give them free at basic training start to wear out), plus either a barracks room or housing allowance.

I will never argue against paying our servicemen and women fairly, but when *I* was a young E3, paying 1/6th of my income per month for the first year into my GI Bill (it's free now), I still paid my own way home for the holidays... granted, it was only from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic, not trans-Atlantic, so much less expensive, but the point is, unless he's supporting a family while paying off student loans, he shouldn't be suffering too badly. Just be sure you're not getting suckered, Mama You can search "military base pay 2014" and see by rank what he should be getting in base pay per month. Add to that the BAS (food allowance I mentioned above) plus the housing allowance if he's not in base housing (you can look that up under "BAH," as it varies by location.) As I mentioned, if it's just him, he shouldn't be hurting too badly. Where we see trouble is when a young person with a spouse and three kids and a bunch of debts joins the service and is living off that low beginning pay... in which case they should qualify for a supplemental pay as well as possibly WIC (or whatever the overseas equivalent is.)

But you are a kind mother for buying him a ticket. And we are grateful for his service.

My son is not suckering anyone nor is he suffering. What he makes isn't any of my business. It wouldn't matter if he made a million dollars, as his mother, I pay for his ticket home....to me it's isn't out of kindness, isn't that what any mother would do?
    Last edited by LynnLC; 05-15-2014 at 07:04 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lynn, it truly depends on the family, I think. A husband of my good friend was earning decent money as a Sergeant years ago and his grandmother still sent him a monthly allowance, other friends were sending money home to their parents. So no, not all mothers would, and many of those I've known don't--which is why I said I think it's nice that you do.

I laid out how much the pay is simply because you commented that they get paid "shat" for money and have to pay for their own food and uniforms, so yes, I wanted to be sure your son wasn't playing you, because yes, I've known people (both in AND out of the service) who've done that. I don't know of any situation where any US servicemember *has* to pay for their own food. There were a number of people in the barracks over the years who *chose* to buy their own food simply because they didn't like what was served-- nowadays they are a bit better about giving the money allowance to those who have legitimate reasons to not eat there (vegan, kosher, halal) but they haven't always been, so there have been plenty people over the years who have felt they needed to spend their own money because something was "wrong" with the food in the cafeteria.

My biological children aren't old enough to move away yet, so I can't say what I'd do in your shoes. But I can tell you my husband did pay for my adult stepdaughter to fly from Texas to Florida to join us on a family vacation two years ago, whereas I was willing to allow her to stay in our condo, share our food, and maybe even pay for her Disney ticket, but I wouldn't have paid for her plane ticket, personally. And my in-laws never pay for my husband to fly to Texas to visit--not even when he came down to help with a family emergency... so as I said, I think it's just a difference between families.
    In times like these, it helps to recall there have always been times like these.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by LynnLC View Post
    My son is not suckering anyone nor is he suffering. What he makes isn't any of my business. It wouldn't matter if he made a million dollars, as his mother, I pay for his ticket home....to me it's isn't out of kindness, isn't that what any mother would do?
    It does depend on the family. My daughter pays her own airfare home, but once she is here I pay for everything else. Also when we vacation together it is the same thing. She pays her own airfare and I cover everything else for both of us.

Back on topic... I had some leftover strawberries, rhubarb and granny smith apple from canning. Instead of letting them go to waste I am cooking them together with a bit of sugar to go with plain yogurt in my lunches. Saves money on buying the larger container of plain yogurt instead of the little cups and the fruit does not get wasted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If my child was a millionaire they would most definitely be buying their own ticket...call it what you like....however if they were doing poorly and i had the money i would pay to fly them home out of kindness and love....like someone said people see things differently but it doesnt make them any less of a parent or more of a parent. Now their are other things that can make you less of a parent but we won't go there.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby's been obsessed with getting a Vitamix (fancy blender type thing that far out-powers the 'regular' models. The base model is roughly $450. Found one on craigslist for $100 from a guy who's been unemployed a while. Took a nice family Sunday drive over to VT (an hour away) and grabbed it. Works beautifully, we're very happy with it. Hubby is no longer buying his expensive protein powders for after his workout and making smoothies with protein-rich ingredients instead, and I'm sneaking all kinds of veggies and seeds (flax, chia) into the kids in 'smoothies'. Saved $350 over buying new (yeah...that wasn't going to happen) and it's proving to be a worthwhile investment in my family's general health. Otherwise...cheap as heck as usual over here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We brought most of our food from home so won't have the expense of eating out while on this trip.

We're towing a low-profile pop up instead of a full height travel trailer to save gas and make for a safer, less tiring driving experience while towing across the amazingly windy Dakotas.

We decided to stay at a relatively expensive campground, but that's offset by the gas we're not burning if we'd stayed at a cg a few miles out of town instead of here in the city campground. Now driving around town is easy and convenient, as is returning to the trailer for lunches, reducing the temptation to eat out.

We bought two souvenir Mt. Rushmore tee shirts, new with tags with a regular price of $20, for $4 each at Goodwill and a souvenir hat, new with tags, for $3 at GW, and that will most likely be the only souvenirs we buy. We wouldn't have bought any but the tees were too good a deal to pass up and Husby forgot to bring a hat which he really needs.

I got the perfect wire dish drainer I've been wanting for the camper for just $1. Now all our plates and other flat dishes are upright and easy to pluck out of their drawer as needed, instead of us having to dig to get at stuff. I guess that doesn't really save money, but it sure saves aggravation so I consider it a huge bargain.

Instead of burning propane to run the camper furnace when the inside temps got down to 38 degrees in the camper, we used our spare comforters and fleece hats to stay warm and comfortable.

Instead of drinking pop most of the time on trips, we now drink ice water with a slice of lemon in insulated mugs that stay cold all day.

Instead of buying a book about the Paleo diet, I downloaded it to my computer from our library, read it, and decided it wasn't for me. Now I won't have to buy it.

I found a like new pair of Keen sandals at a thrift shop for just $11. These normally retail for $100 and up, so I'm pretty happy. I love Keen shoes and need decent, supportive footwear, and these fill that need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post

I laid out how much the pay is simply because you commented that they get paid "shat" for money and have to pay for their own food and uniforms,
    I do understand what you are saying....he has money. I am fortunate to be able to afford to pay for these things. My son has been a great kid/adult in general, asks for nothing, was a great student etc. so I have no problem gifting it to him.

They do get paid shat for what they do. They take out a certain amount for food & if you need extra uniforms you are required to pay for them. You ruin a uniform in a field they aren't delivering you a new one, you must pay for it. He didn't tell me that, the US Army did.

Aside from all that, in my family & every family I know, it's just something that's done. In my upbringing & neck of the woods, it would be considered rude & cheap not to...that said, lately I find that many of the things/standards I do/have, traditions, holidays, gift giving, activities, vacations, keeping a home standards, parenting, way of thinking, life in general has become so vastly different than almost all of FV so being the only one who would do it doesn't surprise me at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my latest thing to save money is to make my lunch at home each morning and bring it into work instead of getting packaged sandwiches and drinks at the supermarket or Pret A Manger. I've saved so much money making my own food!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a crock the size I've been looking for for several years now at a flea market. I got it for only $10, way cheaper than I've seen one (saw one somewhere else secondhand for $80 a couple days ago). It will pay for itself with the first batch I make and we'll have way better kraut, too.

I'm making our food for the trip home instead of stopping at restaurants or buying crap from convenience stores. I need to utilize the amenities of our camper more than I do. Making rice in the microwave is easy and cheap and there's no real reason not to do more of that type of thing. I'm still not used to having a microwave, freezer, and DSI water heater when we camp, but I need to get used to that so I can handle our food more efficiently, eat better, and save money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by khaski View Post
    Hubby's been obsessed with getting a Vitamix (fancy blender type thing that far out-powers the 'regular' models. The base model is roughly $450. Found one on craigslist for $100 from a guy who's been unemployed a while. Took a nice family Sunday drive over to VT (an hour away) and grabbed it. Works beautifully, we're very happy with it. Hubby is no longer buying his expensive protein powders for after his workout and making smoothies with protein-rich ingredients instead, and I'm sneaking all kinds of veggies and seeds (flax, chia) into the kids in 'smoothies'. Saved $350 over buying new (yeah...that wasn't going to happen) and it's proving to be a worthwhile investment in my family's general health. Otherwise...cheap as heck as usual over here!
    Great buy!!! I love my Vitamix and use it every day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How Did You Save Money Recently?-image.jpgI cleaned out the fridge and got rid of some old applesauce by making 2 loaves of applesauce bread, two brown bananas by making 1 1/2 dozen banana muffins and some homemade "bis quick" by making waffles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh khaski you are lucky I didn't see it on craigslist, I live in Vermont and would have driven to get it! It is on my dream list.

I got a great deal on frozen veggies. Walmart is downsizing their 16oz bags to 12oz but still had the 16oz in stock. They were marked .98c but rang up .68c. I was so excited. I grabbed 6 bags. I was tempted to grab more but with our garden and neighbor always offering her garden produce I didn't dare. They had block colby jack cheese for 2.25lb and with dairy prices on the rise quickly I decided to grab 6lbs to add to my stock. I grabbed 6 more bags of frozen strawberries at Dollar Tree. 1.00 for 12oz bag. I have been waiting for Aldi to come down in price but I think the lowest I am going to see them this year is 1.49lb.

I went to Walmart originally to grab food saver bags as my neighbor lent me her food saver but the prices of those bags are ridiculous. Almost 1.00 per foot! Even if I reuse them I find that a ridiculous price and would negate most of my savings on anything I buy. I am so good at using up what is in our freezers that spending a couple hundred dollars a year on a food saver system would be a waste. So back to double bagging with freezer bags.

I did a great job this week using up leftovers and no one complained(wouldn't have gotten them anywhere if they did).

The dogs vet told me that they no longer are recommending teeth cleaning because of the cost. He recommended a prescription tooth gel(10.00) that will last a year and antibiotics 3x a year(30.00 total). Our chihuaha has cost us a pretty penny with her bad teeth so this is a huge savings.

I did spend 16.00 on a hummingbird feeder. Sitting on the deck at night after supper watching them is cheap entertainment.

Just picked a bunch of spinach from the garden for lunch tomorrow.

Hauling an old amp to church tomorrow for a friend who thinks he can fix it. Saves me from the cost to bring it to the dump

Neighbor called to see if we want some boxes of pasta and mac and cheese her boyfriend left behind. I said yes and would have said yes even if we didn't want them. I believe in saying yes as much as possible, it keeps people donating in the future.

We just got back from having supper at the neighbors for their sons college graduation. Cost us a 20.00 gift but boy did we eat! Going to head to bed early and kindle myself to sleep.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today I drove past 2 yard sales and did not stop even though I really wanted too. Also we stayed in tonight instead of just jumping in the car and finding something to do. I am positive those 2 things alone atleast saved me $40.

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast