How Did You Save Money Recently? - Page 4
Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's interesting to see the postings of what we didn't do to save money. And my addition to that is instead of getting massages for hip pain that I have been experiencing, I decided to up my pool exercising. And it worked! I am still going to get a massage when I can put aside some extra money for it.

I offered to my elderly friends that I would cook a fish dinner for them every Friday night - give the 83 wife a break and have some visiting time with both of them on a regular basis. Well, yesterday the wife offered to pay for the groceries and I replied with....thank you but no need. Well, I think I have changed my mind and not be proud about accepting their offer. They are wealthy and I am not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got a ton of OTC meds in the clearance bins at Kroger. Clariton,prevacis,natural sleep aids for DD etc.

Stayed away from all the block,sub and estate sales this weekend

Got gas for .50 off a gallon thanks to Kroger rewards.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I took another trip to another town on a grocery run and saved a bunch on everything. It is paying off going over there once a month. I still had a little bit of meat from the last run over there.

...and not really about saving money but making money...we looked around the town and found out where a few thrift stores are at there. My son does some selling on ebay to make a few extra dollars. He gave $1.50 for a comic book and it is worth $40.00. He knows his stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think my biggest successes this year were not buying clothes (I did buy running shoes and shorts in January) and not eating out once so far this year. I did use up $200 in Outback gift cards and brought home the food. All other meals have been prepared by me at home. I've cut my grocery bill by at least 40% over last year and that was by entertaining less and not wasting anything.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We skipped a bunch of garage sales over the weekend, too. I'm glad we've reached the point where skipping them is easy to do now. A couple years ago, it would have been inconceivable.

If we didn't have so much money wrapped up in the trailer and truck, I'd say we saved money by camping instead of staying in hotels. We do save a lot by using our camping rig but we estimate it'll be about ten years before it pays for itself. But we do save by paying around $25/night vs. whatever hotels cost, and eating almost all meals from the cooler, fridge, and camper pantry. Most of the camping food is bought on sale or close-outs at home and taken from our pantry/freezer in the house.

We drive 60-65 mph when towing, for safety and for fuel conservation, so that's one way we save money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made bread over the weekend, which is always less expensive than buying it. Also, this morning a co-worker brought in eggs from his chickens and I got a few.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I was *SO* proud of myself for getting my netbook screen replaced at a new little fix-it shop that just opened up nearby... I had considered replacing it a few months ago and couldn't find anything for under $600 at the time... so yeah, feeling *SO* good about it, *UNTIL* we stopped in at Staples for something else entirely, and they had the next-gen of the same machine on clearance for $16 more than I'd just paid to repair my old one. I am consoling myself that I helped the environment (by not trashing this one just yet) and supported a local business...

On the upside, I repaired two of my garden hoses that had problems, and that saved me at least $40 over replacing them, and again, playing the environment card... but not the local businesses on that one, I admit to getting those made-in-china repair pieces from Home Depot...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

paid for my membership for the month at Planet Fitness w/ CC points
    Paid $7/$12 for breakfast out from the rest of the points

Took 2 dogs to the bark park to run around instead of spending thrifting. Had fun w/ DD and got a bit of excercise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I purchased new running shoes sunday. They were 100.00 but will save me significant money in chiro costs. Last weeks 4 mile walk ended me up at his office due to bad shoes. Sundays walk felt like walking on air!

Ran to Price Chopper for some loss leaders yesterday. 18lb watermelon for 2.99, Wesson oil 48oz for 1.50 with double coupon, Arnold breads were b1g1 and I had 1.00 coupons, tomatoes .99clb, philadelphia soft cream cheese 1.00 with double coupons, corn on the cob .25c each and a few other items. Went to dollar tree for .50c b-day card for dh and retirement card for a friend at church. Got gas with Price Chopper points and saved .60c per gallon.

My one no-no yesterday was a dunkin iced coffee. I usually go to the gas station for 1.00 iced coffee but got lazy. Cost me 2.70. I went to Zumba last night at the church. It is free.

Today will be no-spend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I take a low dosage for a medicine.

The doctor prescribed that dosage in 30 pills.

But twice my dosage is the common dosage as so I could get 15 of those and cut them in half.

So I asked and then she prescribed half tablet daily of the common dosage and will cut them in half with our pill cutter.The tablets come scored for cutting in half so it is super easy to do.

30 of the lower dosage after insurance is $13
    15 of the common dosage (twice my low dosage) after insurance was $2.12

So i saved $10.88 cents a month ( over $130 a year) by cutting the already scored tablet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DD and I stopped at 2 g. sales when I picked her up after work today. She found a toaster oven/toaster in red (to match her other saved things) for $3. and a designer sweater/dress for $3. perfect for leggings. I bought nothing.

DD paid $25. for 2 weeks of gas to work. I'm sure it costs me more but thats not the point right now.
    She will pay $100. for Junes rent now that she is staying longer. So I will get that next week.

Donated 1/2 a vans worth of stuff to S.A. and will do a tax write-off in Jan/feb. for taxes.

Took Yogi dog to the bark park instead of using a paid trainer. And also instead of shopping at resales.

Cutting way back on ebay shopping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sold $470 worth of "stuff" on e-Bay.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

* Decided I want to learn to play the dulcimer and found a good used one at goodwill
    * Been harvesting and eating my veggies out of the garden..adds variety to my menu

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We took ridiculously overpriced 5.5 oz. cans of tomato juice on our last trip, which we bought on sale for about $2.70 per 6-pack. Crazy, but very handy. It didn't take me long to get frustrated at that idea though, since we can often get 48-oz. cans of tomato juice for a dollar, a huge savings. So I started thinking about what type of containers I might have that had tight lids, hold 6 oz. of juice, would fit in the little cooler, and would also fit in the fridge door in the camper. My first thought was Tupperware, and I thought about the salt shakers I have but don't use, the ones that look just like these:

I hated the idea of messing them up, but since I had no other use for them, got them cheap, and really need the juice containers, I opted to take an X-acto knife and do the surgery. I cut out the shaker part so all that's left under each lid is one big round hole. They work perfectly! We will save a lot of money using those instead of buying the little juice cans. I probably only have a dollar or less in the salt shakers since I usually buy T-ware on the cheap at thrift shops and rummage sales, so this isn't a costly conversion. I'm hoping I can pick up some more of them, and now sorry I donated at least a half dozen of them a couple of years ago. But it's impossible to predict the future and I did give myself permission to make mistakes in our purging, so I'm only a little bit sorry. And tickled at our 'new' juice containers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CPA-Kim View Post
    Sold $470 worth of "stuff" on e-Bay.
    My "Hoarders" comment is motivating! Stuff be gone! No one needs more stuff!

$470 in the bank + less junk = Winning.

Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast