How Did You Save Money Recently? - Page 5
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by LynnLC View Post
    My "Hoarders" comment is motivating! Stuff be gone! No one needs more stuff!

$470 in the bank + less junk = Winning.
    Yea....it was a pair of UGG boots (like I need them in Florida) and a camcorder.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Way to go Kim!!!

No money out today. But tomorrow is dh's birthday. I suggested we get t-bone steaks on sale for 5.99lb and I would grill them. He wants to go out to eat. I am bummed as he will likely order steak at the restaurant, we will pay over 60.00 for the three of us vs 20.00 for steaks. Plus he will get the cheap sirloin steak if we eat out. Oh well, pick your battles.

I just finished filling out state grant applications for two of the kids. Very late but it is what it is. Free money hopefully. I "made" leftovers for supper. Ribs for dh, teriyaki chicken salad with the last of the head of spinach and lettuce from the garden for me. DD ate before work. Made another batch of homemade flavored coffee creamer for my iced coffee. Used cocoa powder and almond flavoring this time. Big savings and no artificial oil, corn syrup like store bought.

Finished a big assignment early for school so looks like I may have some time to do some freezer cooking this weekend. Mother-in-law gets here the 9th for DD's graduation(and stays 10 days!) and DS#2 arrives for two weeks June 12th so having food in the freezer will be a blessing and a savings. Really need to plan a menu for those weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I recycled a veggie salad I made last week. I dumped the veggies in a frying pan, stir-fried them, and added a pound of fake seafood, then served it with soy sauce and sesame oil. Tasty, and now it's not going to go to waste.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After a long week, I was thinking that it would be nice to go out to dinner tonight and say to heck with the budget. Then I thought about what I really wanted, which was to relax after a trying week and get settled into the weekend. So I just put a Redbox movie on hold and will hang out at home with my son with a good movie this evening. $1.50 vs. $50 for dinner out seems like a much better plan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just got back from DD's graduation in Alaska, and the trip cost a lot, even though we did our best to keep it frugal. We have been using up the food we already have in the house and haven't bought groceries since Tuesday. I only spent $10 on Tuesday buying some fresh produce. I will buy some flour tonight, but I'm trying to spend as little as possible on food for as long as I can. I think we can get away with spending less than $50 total for the next two weeks. Maybe even longer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 15 yo daughter (well, she'll be 15 on Sunday...lol) really wanted to take a dance class this summer. The cost of the class is $200, plus I have to pay for her to take public transportation and find alternative care for my younger daughter during those days (twice a week for 6 weeks). So even though I was 5 days past the deadline, I applied for a scholarship and asked for $100 scholarship. She was granted the scholarship!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So happy with dh, he asked for the local butchers stuffed pork chops for his birthday dinner instead of eating out (after I hinted I could cook just as fabulous a dinner at home). Spent 21.00 for all 3 of us(actually got dd a stuffed chicken breast) and will make mashed potatoes with gravy to go with. I made his cake this morning. I am trying to get us out of the habit of "needing" to eat out for every birthday/anniversary etc... dh is going to be very very hard to break of that. For mothers day I asked for him to grill me steak. He reluctantly agreed but I suspect secretly enjoyed realizing he saved 40.00 or so. Ran errands several places today to save money. Price Chopper for the rib eye steaks on sale for 5.99lb. I bought 6 steaks (single serving each) and came home and put in the freezer for when everyone is home for dd's graduation in a few weeks. Was about 40.00 just for the steaks...ouch! However, will keep us from eating out which we would end up paying for our kids and mother-in-law so at least a savings of 60.00. Grabbed more corn on the cob for .25c a piece and a bag of chips and ice cream for the cake. Aldi, I tried to keep it low, spent 28.00 on juice, milk, bananas, half/half, yogurts, crackers, bottled tea for dh's work, etc...

I am stressing about paying for upcoming graduation expenses between DD and my nephew. My brother gave our first two sons to graduate 100.00 each and I know he will do the same for our daughter so I will give nephew the same. Plus a gift for DD. I am going to do jewelry. Thankfully she doesn't like gold so it will be sterling silver and she mentioned when I asked her that she would love a ring. Thankfully DD wants her party in NH at my parents house so my 109 year old grandmother can celebrate with her. That will be a big savings since we won't be doing a family/neighborhood party like we did with the boys. We will order Chinese food and I will have a cake made. Hoping for no more than 100.00 cost. DH is doing overtime this weekend and I suspect that is why, although he hasn't said so.

Well off to pop dh's birthday dinner in the oven and start peeling potatoes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Went on a coupon shopping trip ( stocking up on summer deals) I spent $168.90 and saved $221.58.

I stocked up on sausages,steaks,spam,pasta noodles,mayo,mustard,hot sauce,cold brew tea bags,sugar,packaged flavored noodles (for my fussy brother) and 12-packs of coke/diet coke for $2.24 each, among other food items.

Im pretty happy that I got the deals that did get..I got rock bottom prices ( I know my prices!) that you just don't see anymore...I couldn't believe that Hellman's mayo ( I will not buy any other brand period!) is over $4.50 for a 30oz jar..thats crazy! I remember paying .25 a jar combining a sale w/coupons not that many years ago.. I just recently found a copycat recipe that I could make it from scratch..

Oh...and the price of a 4-lb bag of sugar is just plain crazy too..Aldis store brand (4-lbs) price is $2.49 ...my store has Domino's 4-lb on sale for $1.99 minus my coupon I paid $1.35..I bought a total of 64-lbs that will last me through my canning this summer...Tip:did you know sugar never goes bad? HTH..

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

chatterbox....I just had to say your daughter wanting to have a party that her 109 year old grandmother could attend is just wonderful! It melts my heart actually to think a teen would find that important. Sounds like you have a wonderful daughter.........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

brenda67, way to go! Thanks for the sugar tip I did not know that. Our Aldi has the 4lb bags for 1.89. Maybe I should go stock up at that price!

TDN, yes our daughter is amazing!

No money out today. I am staying home all day and doing schoolwork and housework. I just put a pizza dough in the bread machine so supper will be inexpensive. Have pepperoni to use up, maybe 1.00 worth, 1/2 an onion, .10c?, 1/2 pound sale cheese 1.25, clearance pizza sauce .50, and maybe .50c for the dough. So 3.35 for three of us. With the price of meat I should be working harder at making more meals like this. DH is a meat addict and he likes a lot of it at one time, not uncommon for him to eat a pound himself if I don't include it in a casserole type dish.

Finished this weeks schoolwork for the most part. Boy would I love to just goof off the rest of the day but I need to get the freezer we are selling thawed out so I can sell it. Need to go plant some lettuce where the last of it was pulled out(that will take all of 30 seconds, but it is a big money saver), and hang my clothes up for drying. Rainy here all day so can't hang them outside but still a savings whether inside our out.

Good news is the neighbor asked me to go to her house every couple days for the next week to grab eggs from her chickens while she is gone. Soooo.....need to figure out a way to incorporate those into the menu on top of the two dozen dh brought home from a friends. Will make a couple quiche with spinach from the garden. One will go in the freezer for when family is home for dd's graduation. French toast for supper a couple nights with extra for breakfasts. Any other ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Been cleaning out a bunch of trash and also a lot for S.A. so no shopping has saved me a bunch from G.sales.

DH went to get caulk to fix a hole in the siding and a new fixture for the bsmt. I figure less than $20. and who knows what a repairman would cost.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sold another pair of boots on e-Bay.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One way I have saved money is from bumming...LOL no not what you think. We have lived in our new house for 2 years now and just now getting to do some landscaping. I transplanted some bushes from our other place (dh's homeplace that he hand his sis are half owners in) so those were free. I bummed some starts off of plants from family too so no money spent there.

For Mother's Day I asked for trees for the yard so dh did buy those...a pink dogwood, red dogwood, Japanese maple and a blue hydrangea. I asked if he would like a tree for Father's Day. LOL No tree but he has put together a gutter garden to try instead. The man has plenty of land to plant a garden but no he wants to do a gutter garden. LOL

Hoping to get more starts from friends and families plants this year. Several have promised me some. To me that makes them more special anyway. I can say...well so and so gave me this one. I'll get some more bushes from the homeplace too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LynnLC View Post
    My son is not suckering anyone nor is he suffering. What he makes isn't any of my business. It wouldn't matter if he made a million dollars, as his mother, I pay for his ticket home....to me it's isn't out of kindness, isn't that what any mother would do?
    I would do the EXACT same thing. Who cares what he is making?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chatterbox View Post
    brenda67, way to go! Thanks for the sugar tip I did not know that. Our Aldi has the 4lb bags for 1.89. Maybe I should go stock up at that price!

TDN, yes our daughter is amazing!

No money out today. I am staying home all day and doing schoolwork and housework. I just put a pizza dough in the bread machine so supper will be inexpensive. Have pepperoni to use up, maybe 1.00 worth, 1/2 an onion, .10c?, 1/2 pound sale cheese 1.25, clearance pizza sauce .50, and maybe .50c for the dough. So 3.35 for three of us. With the price of meat I should be working harder at making more meals like this. DH is a meat addict and he likes a lot of it at one time, not uncommon for him to eat a pound himself if I don't include it in a casserole type dish.

Finished this weeks schoolwork for the most part. Boy would I love to just goof off the rest of the day but I need to get the freezer we are selling thawed out so I can sell it. Need to go plant some lettuce where the last of it was pulled out(that will take all of 30 seconds, but it is a big money saver), and hang my clothes up for drying. Rainy here all day so can't hang them outside but still a savings whether inside our out.

Good news is the neighbor asked me to go to her house every couple days for the next week to grab eggs from her chickens while she is gone. Soooo.....need to figure out a way to incorporate those into the menu on top of the two dozen dh brought home from a friends. Will make a couple quiche with spinach from the garden. One will go in the freezer for when family is home for dd's graduation. French toast for supper a couple nights with extra for breakfasts. Any other ideas?

My chickens are laying up to 5-eggs a day..soon my new babies will be laying so I will be up to 11-eggs a day..so Im with you on some more ideas..I make egg salad,deviled eggs,hard boiled eggs,fried eggs,macaroni salad,tiramisu,angel food cake...A first for me is to pickle them...My boys bought my dh a smoker for Fathers Day and I bought the cold smoke attachment for it that will smoke the eggs..not something that sounds very tasty to me but the family will love it..I know you can freeze eggs by separating the yoke from the egg white and putting them in a ice cube tray..

I would love to hear some more ideas..

Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast