How Did You Save Money Recently? - Page 63
Page 63 of 73 FirstFirst ... 135360616263646566 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been reading library books and books my dad gave me when we visited him earlier in the month. I put 'holds' on some others at the library I want to read, particularly on de-cluttering.

I managed to make it through a whole week without going out for dessert and tea with DH.

I wrote in my frugal journal for the second time this month. If I leave it too long I can't remember what I've done. So I'm trying to make a habit of doing it at least once a week.

I've been cooking from Internet recipes and out of my new GF cookbooks - one given to me and one I bought at Chapter's on the referral of a friend. I was down there one day escaping the heat. So far it's turned out to be a very useful cookbook. No meals out this week!

Clothing - I picked up two infinity scarves for fall for $20 total. My fall wardrobe uplift. I want to go through my wardrobe soon and see if I can downsize it a bit. Seems I have clothes everywhere in my room.

I've been figuring out how much money I'd have if DH were to die suddenly - part of our retirement planning process. I'm 7 years younger than him and have only worked a few years outside the home at a 'real' job that paid into CPP benefits. Even accounting for the 7 years off to raise children, I don't receive very much...period. The situation actually looks kind of dire for me. So I am looking at alternative housing arrangements should that happen. Shelter and utilities would be my biggest expenses, followed by food and medication.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You should be able to collect his work pension, Peanut.

Today I saved money by raiding the yard stash for a piece of 3" PVC pipe to use for a dock bumper/post, rather than buy one. I then checked around the garage for a couple bolts to attach it. It should work out rather well. It was free, but I may have to buy a cap to make it looked more finished, if I can't find one in the garage. It'll still be a bargain.

I made a footstool for the dock out of a free metal frame for a little end table, and wire locker shelf unit I paid a quarter for. Now my feet will be more comfy down on the dock.

I made my own WW meals for my lunches this week instead of buying them ready made.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, only 80% of his work pension, and only if he sets it up that way on retiring. That's not enough, even with CPP and OAS. I won't qualify for GIS because I will earn over their maximum income of $17,000/yr (can anyone live on that?!). To keep the house and maintain my medications and food will cost more than I would have a year. Plus I'd have to pay taxes. Moving to a cheaper place would be first on my agenda, followed closely by the option of taking in a roomie/boarder.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got a small cone at the DQ instead of a parfait
    stayed home and caught up on some things instead of shopping.

made vet appts. and that will cost so I am saving on the extras

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been trying to stay home a lot. Run errands as quick as possible, so am not tempted to look at things, not on my list.
    Did buy 4 whole chickens today marked down to .69 a pound. Was not on list but room in freezer, so in the cart they went.
    Did buy 3 bags of marked down produce last week. $ 1 a bag . So for $ 3, I got 32 pounds of produce. Sorted for the humans
    first, and the critters get the balance.
    Retiring my 3 month old, android cell phone, and going back to tracfone cell, and plan. I get to save my new cell number.
    Hopefully the android will act as a mini computer and let me on the internet now and then. I will be finding that out in a few
    more days if it works or not. $ 45 for a straight talk plan for a smart phone is just a bit too pricey for this budget when
    I don't use it that often. It was a interesting experiment though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We repurposed a former wooden platform we were using for the dogs to lay on, that was in a part of the yard they aren't allowed in anymore. We needed a platform to use as a base for a new plastic storage shed, and used the dog platform rather than buy lumber to build a new one. It saved a lot of work, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    SD, only 80% of his work pension, and only if he sets it up that way on retiring. That's not enough, even with CPP and OAS. I won't qualify for GIS because I will earn over their maximum income of $17,000/yr (can anyone live on that?!). To keep the house and maintain my medications and food will cost more than I would have a year. Plus I'd have to pay taxes. Moving to a cheaper place would be first on my agenda, followed closely by the option of taking in a roomie/boarder.
    Peanut what would happen if something happened to him before retired as far as you receiving any of his work pension? Would you not get any of it if that were to happen?

I know what you mean about the $17,000. Hubs Social Security is only maybe $500 more than that. If we didn't have the business still for what that brings in which isn't that great believe me but it squeaks us by I don't know what we'd do. He's also 6 years older than me. I don't even qualify for SS yet. I'll be 62 next month but mine is so small it wouldn't even be a squeak by. Trying to hold out till I'm 66 and mine would be a little higher but not by much. If hold out till 66 for me it would be $875 versus $618 at 62.

If and/or something happened to him I'm screwed. I know what you mean. If laws doesn't change between now and then I could take his full $17,500 at me being 66 without it being reduced. I'm NOT sure if I take early ( before age 66 ) if he died after that I could still take his though.... or if i'd be stuck with my own.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today we saved money by reusing dirt from our old self-watering planters and the old table garden. We put the dirt in pails from the self-waterers that were destined for the trash because they're in bad shape, cracked, and brittle. Then we dug up a 3x5 bed of lilies that have to be moved to make room for the greenhouse and planted them in the reused dirt and trashy pails. We're hoping they'll winter over okay in the pails till we know where they'll go permanently next year, thus saving money over buying more lilies next year. In the spring we'll reuse the dirt again in the permanent flower bed, plant the lilies in it, and trash the pails as planned. But in the meantime we were able to avoid buying any new pots or dirt and as a bonus got the mess of pails cleaned up, too.

Pork chops and chicken sausage on the grill tonight for supper, pulled from the freezer. With the LO steaks we grilled last night, that should take care of our supper meat needs for the next few nights. Maybe I'll grill up a big pan of zucchini and onions, too. Mmmm...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

NikoSan, I know that feeling. I'm not sure about what happens if he dies before he retires. I think I get a discounted rate again, but it may be only 60%. They assume everyone is a dual income family and can make up the difference with employment. Unfortunately with my health issues that is not possible. So I'm stuck selling the house and moving down to something more manageable. The financial planner crunched some numbers for the two of us together, and determined we're better off to hang onto the house as long as possible. But should one of us die or have physical issues with getting around in it, we're out.

On a more topic related note ... I picked a zucchini from my patio garden the other day and will be making a Stuffed Baked Zucchini for supper tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko,
    I am not a SS expert but if your husband is full retirement age, you should be able to apply and get half of his benefit. In addition to his own benefit. You don't need to wait until you are FRA and get your own, if his is higher. You should look into this, contact SS to get the details.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have just skipped all the shopping,resales,G.sales,festivals and things we normally did.
    Our anniversary of 30 yrs. was going to be a trip but we are downgrading to a day trip w/ dinner. I think no gifts.

Vet-gives me 10% and no xray or blood test. So i was able to finish buying the HW/flea pills for the year for all 3 dogs w/in the same price.

Not fixing Dh's cars AC. He is working from home again and they wanted $800. for a Saturn from 2006. I doubt blue book is much more than $3000.

Doing oil changes a month late every time-so 3x a year instead of 4.

Went to the movies on a Fathers Day GC from DD. Got 3 chunk tootsie rolls from the fundraiser box at the Tubbys sub where we ate and took them to the movies.
    It helped Cancer and the greedy theater candy prices annoy me.

Havent gone to Dmoms in a month-no gas but talk on the phone every day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made supper from garden veggies and from scratch last night.

Decided to take company around town to show sights, rather than out of town to an exhibit that includes my hooked rugs. They are only here for a day apparently. I thought they'd be here till Thursday. DBro is a little weak on the communication side of things.

Found a way to fix the drum carder that was given to me, I think. Will phone someone to check if my approach will work.

Also thinking about a floor lamp in the living room and fixing it... It's one my mother hand turned when she was young, but she's applied copious amounts of glue to the fittings and to join the pieces, so I don't know if I can rewire it or not. We'll have to see.

Have enough leftover yarn to make a baby hat to match a baby sweater I just knit. I spun/hand dyed the yarn. So I'm not quite sure of how much I actually have. But it feels good to be making gifts rather than having to buy them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've been skipping garage sales and sometimes GW too. My mom called this AM and asked if we planned to go to the storage place sale that's being held again and I said no. She was shocked. I suspect she wants to go. She's the reason we started going to sales again this year, since she had just moved and did really need some things. I'll discuss with Husby and see what he thinks. I'd rather skip it. The arts fest is this weekend, too, and we'd rather not be in town then anyway. We need to use our weekend time to work on the projects we've bought at sales already this year, namely and most importantly the greenhouse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As we opted not to pay to send the kids to day camp at all this summer, we're utilizing free programs here and there. We've done the 'dissect owl pellets' and 'make your own ice cream social' with the jr. ranger program at a nearby dam, and we're signed up for two free educational events at the library over the next few weeks. Our usual swimming spot, which used to be a flat $5 fee to use, is now $10 for out-of-staters (which we are, despite living about 20 min. away). So, it's off to a free one in-state that I'm not wild about, but it's free and the kids love either. We're hitting the library pretty regularly too so the kids can muck about there. Bonus, from the children's room windows- watching Momma and baby woodchuck explore in the nearby grasses.

We're finding ways to keep busy this summer, which helps keep the peace and save my sanity!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to add- school backpack shopping is DONE. The Children's Place had this huge 50% off online sale, plus another 20% off with code, plus free shipping. For less than $24, we have two new backpacks and matching lunch bags on their way to our door, and that's one less chore for fall. I'm pleased to have it done and pleased to have spent only that to equip kids x2.

Page 63 of 73 FirstFirst ... 135360616263646566 ... LastLast