Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh got a new/used laptop bag for $2
    I got DD a craft table w/ electric plug in NIB $65 B-day
    I got DD a gooseneck lamp for $4. used but looks new-Bday

bought a much needed purse for $1.
    Got a dresser for Ds old room for Chrsitmas when he comes home $35
    Free plastic glasses case
    2 paddles/1 wisk set $2. for the kitchen aide mixers (Dd/me)

Saved 10% on several maintainence vet trips.
    skipped 3 hair cuts for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It might not seem like much, but I ended up with 30% off of a 30% off sale at TanJay/Alia today. A top and pants for $35CAD. That's very good, considering my size and the likelihood of finding anything to fit me. We went to four stores in town that sell petite plus sizes, including an outlet store and a thrift store. There is another thrift store, but it rarely has anything that fits me, so I just don't go there unless it's for shoes or clothes to cut up for rug hooking.

A friend brought me kimchi, egg tarts, and a large sausage. I have no idea what it is. It's called Lyonaise Sausage. I don't know if we'll like it or not. I suspect it's totally off my diet! I think I should take it to the church. There's a big meeting happening soon and they might be able to eat it all then. My friend, her daughter, and I went shopping together and I gave them lunch at home (leftover stir fry). Then we went walking and window shopping in a nearby district. I had to drop off inventory at the shop that sells my work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think the word sausage makes it off everyones diet. I wonder if you could put bits in scrambled eggs? And how do you get all these friends bringing you food anyways? I am always "invountarily" donating food for DD's friends when they do events and parties.

DH got his glasses. $900 after all the add ons of variflex frames for coated trifocal gratient lenses blah to the blah blah. We pay about $300 after ins. It makes him happy so I turn my head for another 2 years until we do it again.
    Kills me though. I get about 10 pairs of $1. store magnifyers per year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now that I know I'm staying in Louisiana for almost 2 years I can start to stockpile a little bit again. So....I joined Sam's Club again. On the first trip we saved the amount of the membership - $49. The biggest saving item was 90/10 burger was $3.18/#. a savings of $1.80/#. Bought 8# and froze it in 1# bags.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FW2: you aren't the first person who has asked about all my friends bringing me food! I set up informal bartering with them.

~ with Friend #1 we give them accommodation and meals anytime they come to town or through town, which is about once a month or more. We also give them rides to the airport and pick them up from there. They travel a lot. They also have a couple of large gardens. They bring food whenever they visit, but in the fall it is a bit more, as they cannot manage all the harvest themselves. They say they want to keep the garden going to keep weeds from taking over the land. We also provide them with finished food products - salsa, jam, jellies, pickles, etc.

~ with Friend #2 we provide finished food products, like canned applesauce. Also I provide plastic produce bags which she prizes highly for her garbage. And I give her first dibs on any clothing, etc. I'm giving away. She is not well off, so if I can find a way to give her things or give her first crack at things, I do. In return she has an apple tree she picks each fall and gives me apples. She also has dill growing wild in her yard and gives me what I want of that. Plus she picks raspberries for other people, and apples. I usually pay for the raspberries, but not the apples. We apple and crabapple trees all over this city and if you can't get them for free, you just don't get out much. Most people put buckets of them on their front lawn with a "Free" sign with the coming of fall.

~ with Friend #3 and actually a lot of friends...they are new to Canada and I volunteer teach them English. They bring me gifts to pay for the tutoring, though it is not expected. However, I hear there was concern within the Korean community that I was being taken advantage of, and I think there are a few guilty Koreans out there trying to assuage their guilt. I keep telling them to stop bringing stuff. But it is also in their culture to bring a gift when they visit you and spend time with you. I find it embarrassing for the most part. Yesterday I spent time with a Korean friend and her daughter. We had a great time shopping. They brought the Lyonnaise sausage, egg tarts (custard tarts), and some kimchi for me because they know I like kimchi pancake.

~ with Friend #4, who is currently on vacation, we have an open door policy on crafting/sewing supplies. If either of us has it and the other needs it, we just give it to the other. Sometimes if one of us is out to an impromptu lunch with a group, and the other has forgotten or doesn't have money to pay, the other will cover for them. But in that situation we will pay the other back...eventually.

~ with Friend #5. She is elderly and has had two surgeries this past year (back and knee). She just wanted her rhubarb picked and out of the yard! So DH and I went over and picked it for her. Made some jams and took her some for her larder this winter. She was more than happy. I also give her things because she is low fixed income. Recently I gave her an electric blanket/lapghan so on the days her arthritis is bothering her she can be nice and warm and comfy under the blanket.

I guess the saying 'what goes around comes around' is working in my life. I try to be generous to people and they are generous to me. There are some people who are truly generous. I have one lady whom has knit 2 pairs of socks for me and wants to knit a third (she wants to try alpaca yarn!). I provide the yarn and she knits. She's in her 90s. I have no idea how to repay her. She has everything she needs. She lives with her daughter, a retired home ec. teacher. So my food would probably not be welcome or necessary. I'm going to send her a card. I don't know what to include for cash. She insists she doesn't want anything. I talked to her daughter and she insists her mother does not want anything. I don't want to insult her by offering cash...but still...this will be the third pair of hand knit socks from her!!! Any ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

peanut: I think the best way to thank her is to wear the socks with a big smile, and let her know how much you appriciate them.

We waste a lot of water and energy, but apparently everybody else here waste more. If we forget to send in usage numbers to the electric company for a month or two, they charge us according to average use. In the new house we didn't send in data while we were on holidays this summer, and now they think we have used 2000 kWh more than we really have. Sometimes when this happens, I try to report 0 usage for a while, since I prefer getting billed 0 over getting a refund. But it would take us a long time catching up with 2000 kWh. That is something like 10 000 km in our electric car... I'll put the refund towards the slush account, and use it for the next electricity bills. It won't be a large refund; electricity here is crazy cheap.

For water, we are only supposed to report once a year, but during that year we are billed based on last year's consumption in quarterly bills. The problem is that the previos owners of the house used three times as much water as we do. So if we continue paying according to schedule, we will either get a nice refund, or no more water bills the next two years. I called the municipality, and they will stop charging us for the rest of the year, to try to get more on track with reality.

The good thing is that it gets very obvious how much we are really saving by being consious about our water and electricity use.
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    We went to four stores in town that sell petite plus sizes, including an outlet store and a thrift store. T
    You have 4 petite plus stores??? Petite plus seems to barely exist in the US. You can get plus size pants that are labeled "short" in a few places, but you have to dig. Lands End is the only place I ever found dresses, tops, pants. But they seem to have dropped most of that. I end up in just a plus size but I am short and not big boned so the clothes do not look very good, the shirts are not far from my knees, lol. Penney's dropped petite plus years ago.

I think I read that the average American woman is under 5'4 and wears a 16. I feel like plus sized clothes are sized for someone much taller than 5'4". Anyway, Petite Plus is my Holy Grail and I will wear it if it fits me no matter how ugly it is!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep! Bernice, we have Sears outlet, Value Village (thrift store), Addition-elle, and Alia n TanJay. I just don't know why I even bother with going to any place other than Alia n TanJay. The clothes fit and look good on me. And they are always having a promotion of some sort or another.

Today I saved money...went out to buy a hand mixer and came back empty handed. I didn't like the small wire beaters on the new ones. I'm doing a check on Consumer Reports before deciding which one to buy. I'm also checking out another store.

I did find some see-through plastic bins for wool storage for $5 CAD each. I bought two.

And we found facecloths, but did not save money on them. They were $6.50 each!!! But they are nice and soft.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Saved money tonight by staying in and watching a library DVD.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

peanut take a picture of you in the socks and put it in a thank you card. And If you can find good priced yarn so she can gift someone else for Christmas noted in the card.
    I get used mixers at S.A. and GW for that reason although I hand mix when my joints agree-which is less and less! I get clear bins at Big Lots for $8 for the lg.

Saved
    used 3 $3. off at Pet Supplies plus over 2 trips plus used my points card to get the sale prices. So the $9. saved gets used for 8# of free Purina cat chow for the Cat rescue.

Going to go pick up my meds. Ins saves tons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When we moved, we decided to burn the old bed frames. They were worth less than what it would cost to move them. Youngest daughter was the only one who got to keep her bed, it is a 200 years old heirloom. For oldest daughter, we found a nice second hand bed frame quite soon after moving. But me and DH have been sleeping on a matrass on the floor while trying to figure out how we wanted the bed to be. He is really good at building furniture, and finally we agreed on a plan. It will be a simple square bed, about a meter above the floor, to optimize storage space. We took a trip to IKEA to buy chests to have under it. But after walking around looking at all the solutions, we decided to save the money and use the wire baskets we already had. Today DH went to the lumber shop and got the materials for the bed. We already have the mattress, it is the one we used in the car on our camping trip this summer.

Mattress: $0
    Bedframe: $40
    Storage solution: $0
    Total costs of new bed: $40

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also put this in the "earned money" thread, but it really is about saving money.

When we got the yearly insurance bill for house, cars and travel, it was at $3975:
    Old house: $1100
    New house (including furniture etc): $916
    Nissan leaf: $705
    Old Mercedes: $238
    Nissan eNV200: $813
    Travel: $181

Then I started working:
    1) The Nissan leaf got wrecked some months ago, so it shouldn't have been on the bill. I got it removed, and also got a refund of $277 for the months it has been demolished.
    2) The old house suddenly sold. Got a refund of $48, plus no bill for the next year.
    3) There is a rebate system for safe drivers, where DH for some reason has a larger rebate than me (maybe because he has never crashed, and I have). By putting the Nissan eNV200 on him, and the old Mercedes on me, we used the larger rebate for the more expensive car.
    -New price for mercedes: $312
    -New price for eNV200: $511

New bill: $1616
    Total saved: $2359

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got fancy shmancy organic ultra homogenized skim milk for .98/half gallon today. I guess it doesn't have any antibiotics or anything supposedly bad in it and it originally sold for about $8/half gallon. Which of course we'd never pay. So our real savings was about $2/gallon since we usually pay around $4/gallon. I bought four gallons so saved $8.

Salvaged some things from the dump again. The best thing was I got two cabinet drawers from some cabinets someone had trashed. I need them for another cabinet I'm rehabbing that does not have drawers. The 'new' drawers are a tad too big but I'm sure I'll be able to modify the cabinet and/or the drawers. Less work than building new drawers and the drawers will be nicer, too. I also salvaged the hardware for the drawer glides along with them, which saved me about $10 vs. buying new hardware. I'm happy I thought of it.

We salvaged some other stuff out there, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How I would love to grow a garden but in my neck of the woods there are groundhogs, skunks, possums and other critters but I do my fruits and veggies from our local farmers market.

I do grocery shop at outlet stores and have slowed down the eating outside the home, with working overnights it gets easy to do this.
    I make food in bulk (rice and beans, lol) and have leftovers for days, thus saving money on my electric bill.

It's the little things that make me smile, like knowing I saved a couple dollars here and there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Got fancy shmancy organic ultra homogenized skim milk for .98/half gallon today. I guess it doesn't have any antibiotics or anything supposedly bad in it and it originally sold for about $8/half gallon.
    why would they sell it so cheap, that's a huge discount!

i didn't save the money yet, but I went through the tops I bought for just having around the house and still look fine for MD appts. I overbought, even though they were all really cheap, especially the 2 Kohl's paid me 25c to buy, lol. And I put the two totally unnecessary in any way, I just love them, purses where I can see them and 1 has to go back but I'm already giving myself an out because returning one messes up all the codes I had and in the end it comes out costing $10. And I'm feeling sorry for myself and I never spend money because I'm stuck here and I can justify all day why I deserve that $10 purse.

But the tops are going.