How Did You Save Money Recently? - Page 71
Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2161686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1091
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got my baby girl a Jumperoo for Christmas. Cost me $20. She can stand in it and jump and it plays music as she jumps and has lots of toys to play with. That will be her big Christmas gift from Santa probably. Costs about $80-$100 new.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bernice, the milk is close-dated, so it's marked down. It'll expire on 9/25. I put most of it in the freezer.

We decided to run away from home today, since we're suffering major burnout after a summer of stress and surgeries and work. We decided to hit a town 120 miles from here where we like to thrift shop, and then hit the stores there and worked our way back home through the thrift shops in the towns on the way home. We picked up too many bargains to mention, had ourselves a relaxing day we really needed, and spent less than $100 including gas for the gas-hog truck.

I did get about 80 bobbins for my industrial sewing machine. Six are an exact match for what I normally use in that machine, and sell for about $2 each retail. The rest are smaller, but I can still use them on that machine. I also got 38 sewing machine needles for that machine. I can't recall the retail cost of those since I haven't bought any in a while, but they're expensive. At that same estate sale, I also got 80 vintage Workbasket craft magazines, a needlepoint Christmas stocking kit with a tag from Michael's showing it originally cost $30, a box of about 80 DMC floss hanks with 38 balls of tatting and specialty embroidery thread and a fancy needle punch, and some other things, all for $12.50. The Christmas stocking is a woodland Santa design which I was intending to do at some point, so between that and the bobbins and needles, I saved quite a bit.

Husby bought a new bathroom scale for $5 at GW, which worked out nicely since we sold the old one for $5 (much different style) at our garage sale a week ago. I got a large Pampered Chef pizza stone I've been wanting to leave in the oven for a couple reasons, NIB, for $6. I also got a gorgeous stained glass planter for my office, NIB, for $4. I don't know if it's a true savings or not since I wouldn't have gone out and paid the $50 plus $12 shipping they want for it on eBay, but I love it and it's sure worth $4 to me.

We saved by buying gas on the way home at a station that was much less expensive than our station at home, and resisted the temptation to get some pastries at Timmy's. We also skipped the DQ pumpkin Blizzards and settled for the snacks we had brought along with us for the trip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Spirit Deer;4112209193
    We decided to run away from home today, since we're suffering major burnout after a summer of stress and surgeries and work. We decided to hit a town 120 miles from here where we like to thrift shop, and then hit the stores there and worked our way back home through the thrift shops in the towns on the way home. We picked up too many bargains to mention, had ourselves a relaxing day we really needed, and spent less than $100 including gas for the gas-hog truck.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's really neat that DH likes to do this with you, that's a hard person to find, I would think, many men would not be so patient and chasing the ultimate bargain, I would assume.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He loves to bargain hunt as much as I do, so that's never been a problem. He's bummed out though because he could have gotten a really nice CD player for the garage for $20, but decided against it. If it wasn't so far back we could have gone back today, but that's not workable. Oh, well, something else will turn up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Toll roads have turned out to be a substantial cost in the area we live in now. Electric cars can travel for free, but you have to apply for a special electronic thing so it registers correctly. DH finally did that last week. We also got hold of a similar electronic thing for the fossil fuelled car, which will get us a rebate of 10% on most toll roads. The savings depend on where and how much we will be travelling, but I'm guessing we will be saving around $50-100/month. But most importantly; we will only be getting one bill a month, instead of the 5-6 small ones every single toll road company has been sending us every single month.
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cheap fun-got 20 cookbooks at the library 1/2 off book sale.
    Going to a small village festival today. Hopefully they will have a few used item sales.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know winter is coming so instead of buying a new coat, I found one at a yard sale for $5, it's a brand name that would have cost me around $100 if I purchased it in the store. To me that's an awesome savings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bought a little antique sewing machine cabinet from a treadle machine to refurb and use as a plant table in my office. It's in rough shape so I'm going to paint it. It'll be cute when done and it should only cost me $5 in total.

The garden place had one lonely rhubarb left and it wasn't in great shape, so they gave it to us free. Hope we can get it to grow. If we do, it'll save us $13 since that's what it was selling for.

Bought a frozen pizza and took it to Mom's to bake it for lunch instead of going to DQ or going to the grocery store hungry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Didn't save money yesterday. It was the first day of vacation and we went on a studio art tour. Let's just say we're going home with some stuff.

However, we've decided to reign in the restaurant eating and pick up food at grocery stores, Tim Horton's, and Subway. Their meals are cheaper than a sit down restaurant. Today we get breakfast at the hotel. We'll see how far we get after that. Taking a decidedly relaxed trip across the continent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spent the weekend batch cooking and freezing meal/lunch size servings. Also did meal prep by frying the burger with garlic & onion and freezing, made extra rice and froze...stuff to make cooking easier and faster on time short nights.

Started keeping a price list....again.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

stayed home and bought nothing via stores,internet,etc. No gas wasted.
    Need to figure out dinner so it stays that way. Take out is calling!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Repaired the back deck on the cabin using scrap lumber. Nobody sees it, so who cares?

Mixed up a new recipe this morning to try for supper using food items on hand, since I knew I'd be too tired at supper time to start cooking something.

Stayed home instead of taking a road trip we discussed this morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dmom gave me $10. for taking her to the Dr. and i treated myself to KFC for "free".
    They forgot the potato wedges so she gave me an extra when I pulled back around.
    We all ate l.o. and the KFC so free dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

-used up some leftover contact cement before it goes bad, so didn't have to use as much of the new can.
    -used a scrap of vinyl flooring to line the shelves of a base cabinet I'm refurbing for the back porch.
    -used up paint we've had for several years to paint the cabinets.
    -used groceries from the freezer and pantry to make freezer meals, which will help us avoid fast food and processed foods later on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

hit the groc. where DD works when I dropped her off
    Got a short list w/ the exception of clearanced movie candy for .60 a box. Plan to do a movie night at home soon.