How Did You Save Money Recently? - Page 72
Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 22626970717273 LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1091
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Used an assortment of hardware, scrap lumber, and other items to finish up and/or make parts for projects I need to finish around here.

Bacon-wrapped steak from the freezer for supper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used the passes the kids got for participating in the local library reading program this past summer to save $36.90 off the 'mega maze' (corn maze) today, saved $2 on takeout pizza as that's the Sunday 'special', and saved roughly $20 buying two of Aldi's $2.99 pumpkins instead of hitting the farm stands or pumpkin patches. They're not the prettiest pumpkins, but they were cheap, and the kids are happy with them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For DD's bday I got her a NIB electric plug sewing table $65 (online resale),
    $4. for a gooseneck light (S.A.), a NIB Singer sewing machine for $30 (F.O.E. sale). and a stool on wheels for $5. from an Estate sale.
    I also gave her part of her rent back. But all the things I got new/used would have been about triple from a store. Even raided my stash for a card.

I plan on making a cake tomorrow. Have everything,so no additional $$

Dh got a monitor stand for $1. at the estate sale

I got 7 cases of Iams canned cat food for .20 reg. $1. at Ollies.
    DH got a mini compressor in case for $5.

We got Thai food and got 3 meals out of 1 dinner each.

DH got a

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to a Fall Festival at my daughter's church and found a 24-cup Mr Coffee for $5. I drink a lot of coffee, but I don't need 24 cups.
    Then I realized how many pots of coffee I have to make every Christmas morning when my whole family is over, so I bought it.
    I figured if it didn't work, I would have just donated $5 to the church.
    Just made 24 cups of hot water and it works great. I'm going to dispense some throughout the morning to test how long it stays hot.
    I know it's just a once a year appliance, but like I said, it was only $5 and I think it will be worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Staying at Dad's for the last week of vacation. He's on vacation right now himself...and has given us full reign of his pantry and freezer while he's gone. We did go out and buy groceries to feed ourselves (fresh produce) and to feed family for a Thanksgiving dinner at his place tonight. It was $65CAD for a ham dinner for 8 (everyone had turkey yesterday) and our groceries. I saved money by having a store rewards card. Not bad at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Went to S.A. tonight and got Christmas 33% off. Bought a mechanical Gorilla that sings for Dmom. It is a running joke w/ us. $4.95/33% off so=$3.25ish Good for the joke.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made two chair covers and six arm covers for my office chair from a piece of upholstery fabric I recently bought at a thrift store for ninety cents. That should last me for years and years.

Found six solar garden lights to replace the broken and dead and faded ones on the back porch of the cabin. I have no idea where they came from, but we won't have to pay to replace the old ones now if they'll charge up. It was cloudy today and three of them already have some light tonight, so I'm hopeful.

Paid basically nothing for an Acer flat screen computer monitor at a Salvation Army store going out of business. It was one item we stuffed into a bag with many other items, and we paid $5 for the whole bag. We neglected to notice the monitor did not have a power cord, but we bought one on eBay, so for just under $10 I have a nice new larger monitor for my desktop in my office.

Used a scrap of plexiglass floating around the garage to replace the plex from a squirrel feeder attacked by a bear. No sign of the plex anywhere around the feeder area.

Found a clipboard with a flat clip I didn't know I had, which I need for work. Good timing, since I was about to order one from Amazon.

Found a shelving unit I built years ago to use in our master bathroom, that was removed when we bought the new cabinet for the bathroom last spring. The shelves work great in my office behind the Porta Potti for cleaning supplies, toilet chemicals, spare toilet paper, rags, and other housekeeping items.

Kept a large laundry detergent jug with a spigot on it to use in my cabin, which does not have running water. Found a small unused plastic tub to use for a sink with the jug. I'll dig up scrap lumber to use for a stand to hold the jug up higher than the tub, and fill the jug with water. Presto, a bathroom sink! For free. I've always hated it that I can't wash my hands when I'm out there.

Instead of buying new houseplants, I moved some of our summer plants into my office.

I've gotten almost everything I've needed so far to refurbish my office very inexpensively. The exception is the four blinds I bought at $16 each, but overall it's been a really frugal makeover.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bought two pints of sample paint on sale for $1 each and only used half of one to paint the new baseboards for Husby's office, so saved over not having to buy a gallon of paint. Who knew it would take so little?

Bought 1x3s instead of baseboard since it's 1/3 the price, $14 for the whole room plus walk in closet. Most of it will be behind furniture, so who's going to know?

Opted to wait ten days for a paint sale instead of paying full price. It should save us about $30. It'll probably take us that long to prep the room anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bought a badly needed cabinet to use for storing 12-packs of pop in the back hallway, instead of always having the stack of pop sitting all over the floor. The 'new' cabinet cost $6 and works great for its new purpose.

Bought a used Troy-Bilt wood chipper/vac for $125. That saves by not buying new and also for not having to make many, many trips to haul brush to the landfill 25 miles away and pay dump fees on top of buying the gas to do the hauling, plus we will have loads of nearly free mulch to use around the property.

Bought a new cabinet to hold my easel and story boards in my office and provide a shelf for storage for the bags I keep my writing projects in. It's oak plywood, finished, and in perfect condition, $6. Can't build it for that.

Did a crackle paint finish on a shelf, using some of the sample paint mentioned above and two bottles of school glue purchased on a back to school sale very cheaply.

Took lunch from home instead of eating out after three hours of hard work shopping at a big rummage sale fifty miles from home.

Said no to ourselves a lot during the sale.

Got Husby a desk lamp at the sale for only $1.

Managed to avoid buying a $1,500 boat/motor/trailer, which we may regret later. For now we'll stick with our bought, paid for, and highly enjoyable low-maintenance HydroBikes.

Repurposed a shallow bookshelf to use in Husby's office closet for general storage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH's repair shop
    -fixed the panels of the garage door w/ new screws
    -fixed the bolt on the old mower
    -blew/mowed front yard instead of paying someone to do it
    -replaced the furnace filter and vaccumned the furnace-winter prepped

-Ate at home
    -didnt rent a Halloween movie
    -prepped chicken for Chicken soup tomorrow
    -cupboard shopped for new conditioner,body wash,tylenol migraine,folic acid,joint pills,reading glasses,rubbing alcohol,hair ties

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Most recently we:

~ took one of our vehicles off the road
    ~ played the competive pricing game with cable
    ~ cut dogfood off our grocery bill as DS got a job where one of the benefits is a free bag of dogfood once a month
    ~ bartered with our mechanic to trade a couple of car repairs with some work he needed done that we could do

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh argued w/ cable and got a $20 credit. Last month a $30. one which is nice but calls are dropping and internet freezing still. Very frustrating.

Supply cabinet raid
    -eye drops for DD's allergy
    -multi-vitamin gummies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Used the top of an old cabinet that's been laying around for years to make a shelf in my office. Also repurposed two old wrought iron shelf brackets to hold up the shelf. Assorted fasteners were used for the shelf project, all of which were used and/or we had on hand.

I need custom shelves in a particular spot in my office. I bought an end table at a rummage sale yesterday for $5 and cut it in half the long way. I've prepped the two halves to be stacked on each other and hope to get them installed tomorrow. I used fasteners and tools we had on hand to make this project, including a piece of oak trim left over from another project and cut to make cleats to hold the shelves against the wall. I washed the end table halves using Murphy's Oil Soap salvaged from the salvage place at the hazardous waste site.

Cut six inches off a 4x4 post in front of my office, because it was too high to hold the squirrel feeder in the right place. Then we used the scrap we cut off to make the feeder post to the side of my office six inches higher, since it was too low. Nice it worked out that way! We used scraps of decking and 1x2s to make a new platform for one of the posts, since the old one was rotting away. Instead of replacing an L-shaped shelf bracket the bear bent into a V-shaped shelf bracket, we bent it back to its original L shape and reused that. It's good enough for who it's for. Now both feeder platforms are in good condition again and ready to feed critters all winter, as soon as the bears go to sleep.

I repaired a bird feeder damaged by a bear a few weeks ago by replacing the base the bear pulled off of it. I used two screws salvaged from something.

Ate a wrap left over from our lunch packed for our road trip yesterday.

Bought a messenger bag for fifty cents at a rummage sale yesterday, and washed it when we got home. It looks like new and is all ready to go to work for me, organizing a new work project. Not sure what a new one would cost me, but I needed it and I'm sure something new would have cost me considerably more than fifty cents.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cut a bulletin board I was thinking of throwing away into four pieces the long way, so I have long narrow bulletin boards I wanted for my desk to pin things to for work. I regretted not buying two that were $1 each, NIP, at GW last week, but I like mine better, they're slightly bigger which is good, there's four of them, they were free, and now the old bulletin board won't go to the landfill.

Salvaged three partially full containers of Citrustrip from the free salvage store where we went to get rid of some household hazardous waste. I should have enough now to strip the old paint off an antique cabinet I want to refinish, saving me about $25.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

stayed home,ate at home. DIdnt rent a movie.
    Going to play cards later if we dont fall asleep sitting up! DH did the front yard leaves yesterday and most of the back today. Dmom had a quote for $250.
    Already had leaf bags and the mulching mower is worth its weight in gold to reduce bulk.

Going to closet shop for one-A-Day womens vita craves and a few other things.
    Got small pitsa begging to be grill cheeses for Dh.