2015 Needs-Not-Wants challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

also, FW2, I hear you on the leaks.....in my house, it's DH and DS, and yes, the dog tearing things up when we leave him alone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cab54 View Post
    Haha, you're cracking me up, imagine!
    Yes it is funny

However I am serious. I am trying to learn to want what I need other wise I would not get anything I want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yes Cab54 Lately we have a sneak theif. I have 3 ripe tomatoes go missing last week (had them on a table ripening). Yesterday,I took Dmom for a recheck and I came home to find an apple on my couch w/ nibbles. I had it out because it had a bruise I was going to cut around. You see,I suspect my mastiff/boxer mix but he isnt talking.
    DD is a leaker because she likes to toss imperfect things. It a fruit has a bruise out it goes. I have just entered the age of salvage.
    Also she leaves the lights on when she leaves for work overnight which I turn off but she comes at 6 a.m and leaves them on all again. I am close to putting paper signs up.
    DH leaves 1 bite. Some nonsense his Dmom taught him. I was taught bread scrapes the plate!

I just found this blog
    nanaisfrugal.wordpress.com-fantastic! grandma who lives in the ghetto and cans all food she is given. Her neighbors give her what they dont want from the food banks and she keeps an unofficial pantry for those who are in need. Many new tips.

Dmom gifted me money from Ddads estate and I am looking into buying an upright freezer.
    I got shoes as I was in desperate need. New Balance were $85. clearance $45 after tx. I will also put inserts in the old ones and use them for the gym.

Bought 2 packets of Salsa seasoning mix @ .50 at Big Lot. I realized I have onions and way too many cans of diced tomatoes. I may add a few canned Jalapenos too? Easter weekend munchies?

Going to try lining my veg/fruit crispers w/ paper towels to make fruit last longer

Dragging the old seal-a-meal out for meat.

Dmom puts saran wrap or tin foil across her tub of ice cream to keep the ice crystals out

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW---I did NOT know the one about paper towels in the crisper drawers! Will have to try that. Thx!!

Your DD25 sounds like my DS28. He leaves lights on all over the place--also the fan in his room, etc. I have already stooped to putting sticky-notes on his computer screen where I KNOW he will see them. At least he will eat leftovers, which DH will not do. Says it tastes like road kill. I think from a family of 5 boys he grew up in, he probably never had to eat up leftovers. There just weren't any.

I've been going back to more cold-water washing, with cheaper (and less) detergent and making sure I have a full load. I'm in the process of finding out what settings on my dishwasher will get the dishes clean enough to suit me, but be less energy consuming. And finding a dishwasher soap I can live with that is cheaper. Tried the home-made ones (about 4 recipes) and no thanks. Streaks and cloudiness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

W/ the DW I go the opposite way. I use the best just get the coupons plus sale.
    And no HM brands so far although I do use vinegar for the glassware. I wont pay for jet dry. I find the sanitize setting worth it w/ pets.

My DH would be the baby out w/ the bathwater if L.O. werent ok. I have an issue where he will be willing to eat it long after he should. Thats why the dogs gets it after I few days in I didnt freeze it.

I remember DMom used to do newspaper in the metal crispers when I was a kid
    And Dgram would put newspapers in the bottom of cardboard boxes for garden veg. she was giving away or trading. BUT its soybean oil print now and it would be all over stuff???

looking for cheapo eggs this week. $1.25 at Kroger so far. Where are the loss leader eggs we used to see at EASTER?

well,I was going to save the 5# butter tub for storage. Ddog needed a chew toy I guess. Everyone has cabin fever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haha! Yeah, DS will eat things that are way too old if I don't toss them soon enough. He and his brother (who does not live here right now) want to eat old stuff that makes me worry what they eat at their own places when Mom isn't there to say something. I'm learning to freeze in meal-size containers, rather than risk them poisoning themselves.

See, that's where I have trouble also...DH wants eggs only from the Circle K carry-out, because I happened to pick some up there once, and he flipped over the flavor. To me, an egg is an egg. Now, I have to make an extra stop, AND pay more. But I get cheapo eggs for baking, cooking, and for myself to eat.

I'll try the vinegar in the dishwasher. I trust vinegar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cab54-what if the regular eggs accidentally fell into the Circle K carton and you forgot to mention it. Then if he balks about it say maybe they did something diff.
    Fortunately Dh likes eggs as long as they are on his plate.

And yes vinegar.
    Dmom started soaking sliced cucumbers in the pickle juice from the last pickles.
    It would work if you boiled the solution and dumped it over the slices in the jar and let it sit. Obviously dont pour it in too hot.

Switched to a dish towel (only for that area) to dry my hands in the 1/2 bath instead of wasting TP and the savings are huge already.

Did the big pot of water and made tea for me. DD has started drinking it too. So I used the same 3 tea bags and made a second batch. So .54 for 2 gallons of tea.
    NO CALORIES!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Cab54-what if the regular eggs accidentally fell into the Circle K carton and you forgot to mention it.
    My thoughts exactly.

A book I read recently by a food researcher talked about how if people expect food to taste good, it does, even if it's the same food they expected to taste bad and thought it did taste bad. The exact same food! One of the experiments they did was to serve wines labeled as being from North Dakota, then served the exact same wine in bottles labeled from California. The people didn't like the ND wine, but thought the CA wine was wonderful. Perception is often truth when it comes to food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haha! You guys have some great (and deceptive) ideas! I will definitely do the egg switch thing. I am kindof a wine conniseur (sp?) though and can tell the diff between good wines and not so good. Eggs tho---who cares? Wine is a luxury I imbibe once in awhile and if I'm going to---it has to be halfway decent....I have found a few that are not at all pricy tho.

I had heard about the pickle juice thing before, never tried it. Will have to do that this summer when the cukes look good and are cheaper! However, I have been known to make some pretty good garlic dills of my own.

Loving the great ideas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've tried the pickle juice thing and thought there wasn't much flavor, even after letting them sit quite a while. I cut down the recipe I use for canned pickles instead and just make a couple quarts at a time. That works much better for me and it still saves a lot over buying Klaussen pickles, our favorites when we can't have homemade.

We're not doing so well doing without lately, but it's all good. A week ago Saturday we found the perfect entertainment center that will hold up to a 60" flat screen on the top. It's the right height and has a section originally intended for stereo components that will fit the Dish receiver, DVR, and the other boxes we've never been able to quite figure out what to do with, and has a glass door so the electronic eyes will work with the remotes without having to have the door open. It was $30 at SA and luckily we had the van along instead of the truck, so we could get it home from the store seventy miles away. I'll be adding shelves, which, sadly I had to pay $20 for from Menards, to the old TV area which is behind doors. That will hold a ton of things like DVDs, Wii stuff, etc. I also splurged on new door/drawer handles which I will do some beading on. They were cheap on eBay and will be worth much, much more when they're beaded. They should dress up the cabinet nicely. All told we'll have less than $60 in that cabinet, so we still consider it a bargain.

Then Saturday I found, at a garage sale, the perfect cabinet to use for a linen cabinet in our master bath, which has needed such a cabinet for about twenty years now. It's even a good match for the rest of the woodwork in the house, made of solid oak plywood (no particle board! ) by a local craftsman. I'm still amazed. We happily paid $125 for it and would have just as happily paid more because it's almost exactly what I would have designed for that space. I was planning to build something myself for that space because I hadn't been able to find anything, and that would not have been as nice since I'm no master craftsman, and building it wouldn't have been free either. I could not have even bought the materials for the cost of the cabinet, so I feel we did well. That was very much a need in that space and has been for a very long time.

Today, Husby ran down to GW to be there when the door opened this morning because he knew the NIB micro-shredder he's been eying would be half price. That's been a need, too. He scored that for a measly $12.50, instead of the $90-$150 he had expected to have to pay retail. He's shredded so much stuff cleaning out his office that he's killed two shredders already, so we weren't that excited about spending that much on a new one. We do love a good score!

I also picked up a vintage Presto Wee Fry electric skillet my mom has been looking for for several years now. That was $5 from the same sale as the bathroom cabinet, and will make a nice, inexpensive Mother's Day gift. Another need, since my mom deserves a nice gift and it's always fun to give her something we know she wants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Finally used my kitchen Adie mixer after having it about 4 years at least. I made Bakers Secret (aldis mixes $1.49-$1.99) Double Choc and added applesauce instead of oil. AND apple struesel muffins. They look great and Dh says they are. I used Christmas cupcake papers because that's what I had.

Read Nanaisfrugal.com again. She said to get a oil spritzer to grease the pans and never buy cooking spray. I got 2 diff. colors metal spritzers (hair area) for $1. ea. at Dollar Tree. 1 for Canola oil and 1 for olive oil. Haven't tried it yet but soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cab54-I'll take that as a compliment. Actually, on the Roseanne Barr show she was teaching economics to the girls. She was dsaying she always put off brand cereal in the name brand box much to Darlenes surprise. That got me thinking mm.
    And then Sneaky Chef-who adds veg to things her kids eat w/o their knowledge.
    DH eats Zucchini bread all the time he thinks is carrot bread. I put choc chips in it.
    He cant tell.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The shredder is home now and we looked it up on Amazon, where it sells for $98. Not bad! An $85.50 savings. We'll take that deal all day, every day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I've been busy using some of your ideas *THANKS* and using some of the saving methods I used once, but had abandoned.

Doing the egg switch, and the paper towel thing. Working on stretching my meat budget right now---stews, crockpot meals, and etc with cheaper cuts.

Have found and tried a couple of wines I can live with (actually good ones!) that are uber-inexpensive. And also cutting back to just Sunday for wine night. For me, it's a huge sacrifice, but I'll live.

Starting to bake more snackies and treats for DH and DS rather than buy stuff they like, which I had gotten used to out of desperation. If I pick and choose the very faves to bake(Snickerdoodles, anyone?), it passes the test with them, and saves a ton.

I take a lot of baths and I'm switching to showers ONLY. Our last water bill was sky high for this time of year. I know a lot of it is government changes going on, but I'll fight it as best I can. Larger loads at a time, cold water, cheaper detergent (it's the churning action of the washer anyway, that cleans + pretreating stains with Fels-Naptha), and shorter wash times.

Choosing one all-purpose cleaner and watering down in spray bottles for most cleaning. Right now that is Pine Sol (sparkling waves scent...Mmmm), because I have some. Going to try Fabuloso when this runs out. I'll take any other suggestions....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I prefer one w/ vinegar and water. Its non toxic. I often spray around the pets and in the fridge for messes w/ the food right there. I do have bleach and water for new arrivals from the resale (just got 2 igloo coolers w/ spigots that will get first run w/ bleach,then soap and water then a vinegar rinse). I use bleach and water for the sink.
    I do have a Pinesol and water. Ants outside and in enjoys this at my house.
    Sometimes dish soap in there too.

I recently bought red tubs (xtra deep dish tubs) for $2.50 at Big Lot. I am using 2 under my sink for soap and such. The rest are holding noodles and go on top of my pantry cupboard in the MIL apt. It adds a lot of storage. I decided to bag the noodles to deter little gnats and that.

My latest thing is to sweep the wood floors and then just vaccumn the piles. I feel I am saving money. Every penny ya know.?

I am cutting sugar and added applesauce to a cake mix instead of the oil. Quite by accident I found out it adds much more volume and i got almost 6 more cupcakes!

I was adding water to the frozen juice above the recommended amt. And now the bottled juices. No one can pour from the bottle only the pitcher in the fridge.
    I put in the 48oz bottle and add 24 more oz of water. It has worked w/ cranberry/cranberry apple/Cranberry cherry. I get Old Orchard at Aldis for $1.79 ish
    We have pitchers of tea,water,juice and I just got whole milk and I heard you can do 1/2% by just watering it down. $1.99 sale and 50% more.

A young guy that works in the groc. told me to out my pears in a brown bag w/ a banana or 2. The out gassing caused by the bananas works so well the pears are done in about 3 days! I am using Aldis pears 4/$1.79 And Kroger bananas that are yellowish but not ripe. I am going to try plums soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast