2015 Needs-Not-Wants challenge
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2015 Needs-Not-Wants challenge

Wow, things are really getting tight. I have had myself on the same amt$ budget for about 15 years. When the kids went to college, it became easier to stay within budget, but over the years......and DS2 moving back in lately (he's 6'6") it is becoming difficult. Yet, I would like to live from the same amt., if possible. Time to stop all of those mindless and unnecessary purchases. Time to use it up, make it do, or do without. Eat up the leftovers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are there Cheryl.
    W/ DH unemployed i have been collecting tips to save and make food go further.
    -just started making my own bread in the machine w/o kits
    -learned bananas should be separated to last longer
    -a banana is a brown paper bag can ripen fruit like pears

we cut cable
    I bought a belt for my pants instead of buying more jeans
    I am really utilizing the freezer. I inventoried and cleaned out what was freezer burned for the dogs

I bought a CB named Budget Bytes. She has a website w/ over 100 budget friendly meals
    I googled religious cooking blogs and found many
    also found Barbarabakes.com for desserts
    -another one is Findingjoyinmykitchen.com
    -another thedaringkitchen.com

I recently realized i am paying $3.00 per month for paper bank statements when I download and bank online anyway!

I realized DH had primo cable boxes to record and it was costing $30. a month and we werent recording.

I am going to make broth from bones for the first time.

In January I switched to mostly generic stuff almost all from the Dollar Tree And I've had mostly good results

After losing 20# I have closet shopped andfound a bunch of stuff I can wear I had put away.

Dmom recently taught me to use the kettle to heat water to boil pasta and that it cuts cooking time a lot and I recently just realized using a lid does matter when cooking-Duh!

Bought a St. Patricks Day cabbage for .79 and have made 2 batches of coleslaw w/ 2/3 of it.

We cut our entertainment budget completely and only eat at home. IF we want a movie rental it comes out of the groc. so we return them for no waste.

I am extending oil changes to every 4 months
    I cut my hair short and thinned it to save
    I am dying my own hair for $5-$10.
    I am charging DD $225. to live here. That incl. rides to work and food. If she wants special food she buys it. (she's 25 in the fall)

I joined AARP for $12. birthday special. I am earning points for GC and researching car ins. The van is going no-fault basic soon

I run everything through my CC to earn points for purchases. About $25-$40. a month. Kroger gas points. and I get my meds at Kroger for more points towards gas

Trying to see if i can get a fence to garden but the dogs? Kittens inside for the seedlings-seems iffy No chickens allowed

Cleaning out my old pantry-using can goods back to 2011 if they are not rusty,dented or bulgey

Going to cloth napkins for dinner,rags for messy messes,old towels for dog feet,TP for anything kleenex would do,dish clothes and towels to avoid paper towels

Cut any plastic ware or disposable cups
    not buying water
    Still going heavy on the clearance and discount items for groc. Adjusting menus to fit
    meal planning to avoid waste

Hope any of this helps you cut.
    My leakage points are now waste by DH and DD,and pet destruction

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As of 3/31 will be cutting off cable $36.39 a month also paper I read on internet $6.95 a month and house phone $66.09 a month.Will miss frugal village on internet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

piney-please jump on any time you can at someones house or the library. Hugs.You'll be missed. I hope I dont have to cut my cable the rest of the way but???
    I am cutting the paper statement fee for the C.U. $36. a year robbery!
    I made a huge stock pot of the broth. It was alot of work because I was not as ready to store it as i thought. Next time.

Found 2 new space heaters at the S.A. Now I can zone heat in all rooms. $25. more investment so worth it.

Bought a little table for $20. big enough to do dough on. I am going to start doing rolls,bread,yeast dessert and such.

Bought a mini crockpot for doing once a month cooking
    I am doing a lot more with the toast oven

The thing where I boiled a vat of water and added 4 tea bags is working well.
    I put it unsweetened in an XL $4. Big Lot pitcher and drink it for days. This week was orange. I am doing ice tea next. .59 thats all!

I got 6 Ocean spray blueberry for $1.29/48oz. and I put in the same size pitcher. I used 1 bottle of juice and 1/2 more bottle of water. STretch and cuts sugar

I read on Findingjoyinmykitchen.com that she buys whole milk and waters it down like skim. Genius IMHO

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

piney, I hope you'll be able to find a way to visit FV. A friend's computer? The library?

So sorry you are having to disconnect, but you have to do what you have to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Piney - you will be missed. Hope you can check in from time to time. Talk about having to make the hard choice. Internet is my bill pay, shopping, library of knowledge, and entertainment. My heart goes out to you!
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - $621.02/$3,330.56
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $3,172.43/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$1,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fw - if you put/leave bananas in the plastic produce bags they will last longer. Doesn't look as nice out on the counter but they do last a few days longer that way. I thought I heard that on FV and have been doing it for the past few years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rabbit-I never take the bags because I was being environmental. I could use the groc. store bags. I take those for pet messes. My banana go on the fridge anyway
    I tried the ripen pear in a bag w/ a banana. AMAZING. 4 pears/3 days.
    Saved so much I am going to get more at Kroger $1.49 this week.

Got hit by $900. federal tax because DH didnt change our deductions to 2 from 4.
    But I got $300. State to off set $600. hole but I got to use the extra money all year.

Tax lady only charged me $25. because I have been going to her for years. $75. savings.
    Cat damage-cats previously ate the phone cord. I found a nice slim line for $1.50 at GW. Cats ate the cord off my bread maker-DH redid it for free w/ a cord he had. Thank goodness he can do it

Another way I save is to buy used identical things for parts. Bread maker pans are no less than $20. to replace/paddles are $10. So I buy bread makers @ GW /S.A. for $6.99. Been rebuying my original set of corningware for $20. Same w/ my Hoover upright. (finally went to a bag less a few years ago.

Made the chicken broth-about 3 gallons. I used drying up carrots/1/2 an onion that was dried out/4 cloves of garlic,2 stalks of celery and some seasonings/herbs. When the ingredients were skimmed off Ddogs showed bits of chicken and veg (no bones). I formerly pad about $8 ish for a 12pk of broth. X3?
    So I saved $24. and didnt have to go to the store. Next-beef broth. $4-$5. at a local grocery (when I have freezer room).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Broth can be pressure canned if you want room temp storage. It's more work of course and a little more expense than freezing.

I have two one-gallon Ziploc bag in the freezer. I save all the onion skins, any scraps of celery, garlic peels, bits of bell peppers, etc in one and when it's full, I cook up a turkey and make broth with the bones and the veggie scraps. The other bag, I save carrot peels and put those in with the other ingredients when I make dog food. Before I made dog food, I put the carrot peels in the bag for the broth. I love making broth out of stuff I used to throw away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD-wow you are a saver. I always buy the mini carrots but I will think about saving bits. My prob. is freezer room as always. Ddog eat most scraps. I picked out the carrots and bits of chicken and they were is heaven.
    Dmom want bones for broth so I get some too today (I see her tomorrow)Then after the broth I will gift them to doggies. NO WASTE

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

just found
    savvysaver.com
    All kinds of recipes for homemade and penny pinching. Great recipe site. I joined for alerts. Sooften I "lose" great sites.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FW~have you ever read The Complete TightWad Gazette? I learned a lot from reading that book you would benefit from it I'm sure..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Brenda-so long ago. I should revisit-thx.

Sorta splurged-Bought 4 big steaks for $20. 2 are for Easter dinner for the 2 of us (or 3?). I am so over ham. It costs a whole lot and makes me sick plus I am going for another 25# weight loss this year.
    I went for beef bones and got them must they have great meat at the local market.
    So DH and I each ate 1. I FEEL so much less depleted.

I have been searching frugal grandma sites-lots of down to it frugal tips like lining the crisper w/ paper towel to make fruit/ veg. last.

Finally got 2 reuseable water bottles at BigLots for $2. each (BPA free)
    I was using a XL ice mt. bottle but its collapsing. I stole it from Dmoms.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wants? What is this you speak of?

I am trying to want what i need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haha, you're cracking me up, imagine!

Wow, so many great saving ideas! Thanks all of you for this info!

Piney, I also hope you'll be able to check in from time to time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast