2015 What Did You Do Frugal Today Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made brownies yesterday to nibble on. See they're all gone today

Went into store today to get bread for office. Came out with only the bread.

Got enough gas on the way home that should do the rest of the work week. Plan on business filling my tank first part of next week as I do all the errands and running for the business.

Not much more. Watching electric and see now a light that needs turned off. ARG...
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

watching the electric bill plummet now that DH works at an office again. Unfortunately it can't out pace the increase in gasoline and the price hike.

Dh fixed the DW for free (just a bit of stray sticker plastic)
    Made Dh eggs I bought at Easter to use them up. used the sale cheese and sale milk.
    Played UNO and talked about Jobs (sigh)
    repurposed 4 tubs instead of buying [email protected]$8.99 each and the extra crap I would have bought from the store. Saved the gas too.

Used so old spray and wash on really stained jeans and it all came out
    Found some clearance Fabrese in my stockpile for the new furniture $1.50 for the Kroger brand.

Saved 2 XL pill bottles for future use as storage of small items

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the key to being frugal is being CONSISTENT.
    It maybe dull, boring, and certainly not exciting, but it is all the
    little things done daily that add up.

Using up leftovers for lunch.

Building a rabbit cage. Once I get a few built, then I sell off some used ones.
    Not sure which keeps me more busy, the chickens or the rabbits.
    I just know that I can always find something to do.

Looks like rain today. Holding off watering the outside flowers to see if
    we get the rain or not. No sense wasting time watering and then they
    get a double dose from Mother Nature.

Trying to stay home most of the week. The less I go to town the better.
    Usually 2x a week in the summer is my goal. 1x in the winter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Using up little things in the fridge and freezer.
    Unfrugal... found stuff that is going to have to be tossed. The kid took out chicken breasts and they didn't get fixed.

Thought we/I was watching the electric pretty dang well until I opened the bill for last week of May/most of June to the tune of $240. Highest one yet. Yes, it's been boiling ass hot but dang. So while everyone was gone for awhile today I turned it up 2 degrees. Honestly can't hardly tell the difference. Plus it doesn't feel like the 80 it says it is. We keep it on 77 and lately that feels far below 77. Wondering if the thermostat isn't wonky. We haven't had a bill that high since we've been here although Duke raised it 7% January and last year 3% so there's that. Still think the thermostat is wonky,

Did manage to lower the water bill last month a very minor $3. I'll take it. It's a gallon of milk.. almost.

Still shopping sales etc but this month has been a bust as far as staying in budget on groceries. Special food, otc meds, bandages, wraps. All added to the list. Kid fell down the stairs. HUbs had a bad infection so ....

Trying to stay out of the stores or anywhere else for that matter. Working on getting tiny areas decluttered a little at a time. I look at them and want to walk away.

At work too Hubs has been wanting Wendys for lunch. So I went and bought and brought in REAL food.... he still wants Wendys. What can I say. Not out of any household money. Out of his sold money and anything to get him to eat. 131 weight on a man that busts ass doesn't go very far.

Going to color my own hair either today or tomorrow although I always do my own. Was going to a couple weeks ago and just couldn't get with the program.

One of the prescriptions the doctor prescribed for him when we got to Walmart was $400. I told him to call the office and see about another one. He did and doctor said it had to be that one and there was no generic. This infection was seriously bad.... open and just seriously nasty. They called drug company and they called the next day They asked a few questions and that was it. I figured we'd have to fax income tax returns etc but nope... we got it as low income at $60 instead of $400.
    It's still bad even now but he goes back Thursday.

All but his Wendys once in awhile... eating at home.

Stopping for gas at the cheapest place on the way home from work. Big difference one mile to another station makes...as much as 10cents a gallon for the same thing. Won't drive out of my way but they're all in a row. I figure I need it more than the oil kings.

Wishing I had made at least a few container garden things. Peppers, tomatoes. SD your greenhouse is fantastic.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today at home (closed on Mondays )

He's gone and kid is still in bed as she works midnights tonight 12 hour shift so turned the thermostat up a degree when I got up. May turn it up one more. Will leave until right before he comes home.

Made brownies again last night for snacking. Kid was going to go get ice cream but they decided on the brownies instead. Already here in stockpile and Cool Whip already in fridge ( BOGO ). Cool and works.

Staying home and doing some more cleaning, laundry and decluttering. So if all goes as planned no gas used.

Planning on filling up gas tank this week from the business account again versus personal.

Going to look over the sale papers and see if there's anything I really want to put forth the money and effort to get this week.

Winn Dixie had 80/20 hamburger this past week for $3.49 and hubs got several pounds of it. Haven't seen it that low in several years.

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, that seems expensive for hamburger.

I took a spin on my HydroBike, about two miles, I think. It was a workout! No gym fees and smelling other people's stinky sweat for me!

I'm staying home, too. Trying to figure out what to make ahead for the rest of the week, since I know I won't want to cook for a few days after surgery tomorrow. Cheaper and healthier than buying restaurant food.

Just doing the usual around here, I guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD normal price around here for 80/20 is about 4.99 a pound. If you go above that to ground round or 93% you can reach $6 a pound. Or more. Cheaper to eat steak in a way. The irony of it is there are beef cows EVERYWHERE. Go figure. Same with oranges.

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Doing laundry and hanging it on the line even through it looks like rain.. Maybe it will hold off a while. Taking some leftover mac and cheese and putting a can of tuna in it for dinner tonight.. I have the air off for now as running in and out.. going to work on basement this afternoon to try to get it in order..lol Guess that isn't going to happen.. Got to go to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got my dh on board and excited about paying off our home equity loan at a quicker pace. Decided that this would be a good place for me to document our progress. Focusing on saving, earning, no waste through frugal living with help us obtain this goal.
    Here are some of the ways we came up with-
    1) When I have overtime that money can be used if not needed for household emergency. The few extra dollars from my raise will be added each paycheck.
    2)We will limiting our use of credit card, we thought it was fine because we always pay it in full at end of month and we were making "1.5 % back on all purchases"- The problem is we don't think about the purchases as much as if we were paying cash.
    3) Need to limit the internet use on my phone to free wifi areas and remember to connect to it. That will save $20 a month.
    4) Dh signed up for evening referee jobs at the school which will bring in extra income.
    5) Our respite care income will go towards the loan.
    6) Dh will do the majority of the grocery shopping as he sticks to the list better than I do.

And what did we do frugal today?
    We stayed home instead of going out. Made supper at home. dh decided to listen to a football game on the radio. This saved price of ticket and gas to drive there. Did not buy lunch at work, saved $2 ,cook gave me a few fishsticks that were left over. Been taking quicker showers, put shampoo in pump bottle so I use controlled amount. Turned off extra lights. Baked scalloped potatoes and dessert at the same time in the oven. Left oven open to warm the kitchen after it was turned off. Took the short cut home which does not take me through downtown and tempt me with stopping. I did need to fill the tank with gas however. If I would have had cash I could have saved a 3 cents a gallon. Used debit card.
    Furnace definitely needed this evening as temperatures are dropping tonight and frost expected. I like the house cooler with my hot flashes and dh dresses extra warm so usually frugal in this department.
    ...$25 towards the loan today through online banking from a estimate of what I saved today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Groceries for the next week were $70 for DH and I. We came home to an empty fridge. I bought to replace some basics too.

Walked away from the $10/lb. butter (yep! You saw it here!). Found it at another store for $4.

Hubby and I are putting our thinking caps on for a frugal yet meaningful anniversary tomorrow. It's our 35th.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bought a desk at ReStore for Husby's office, which we're remaking from top to bottom. The office, not the desk. Unfortunately we had to drive to another state to get it, but since it was only $24 and the price had dropped $19 since we were at that store last week, the low price made the trip worthwhile and the cost reduction covered most of the gas and the rest was made up by buying gas at the cheapest station, savings on grocery items bought at the chain store vs. locally, buying close-out items from Office Max for my office, driving the speed limit, picking up some other office items at thrifts, and saying no to ourselves a lot at Harbor Freight.

We also got a $14 refund from Harbor Freight because several items we bought last week were on sale for lower prices this week, so they refunded the difference. The remainder of the HF items were on their ad for very reasonable prices.

We once again talked ourselves out of the 130-piece tool kit for $30 which was a suck-em-up deal. But we decided that, somewhere in the garage, we have one or more of those pocket dealies that fit over a five-gallon pail, and we have lots of duplicates of hand tools. So we're going to set up our own tool kits for free with items we already own. We concluded we should have at least two.

As always, took the cooler with water, pop, and snacks so we didn't have to buy food, although we did have lunch at Wendy's after deciding to save money over eating at Grizzly's or Grandma's. I had a really good BBQ chicken salad, Husby had an artery-clogger double bacon cheeseburger.

Hit the close-out section at the grocery store and got a lot of deeply discounted groceries. Also shopped their ads and saved quite a bit from that, too.

Instead of leaving the covers for the truck box home, we left them on for the 120-mile drive down, but of course had to have them off on the way home. We saved gas by leaving them on for the drive down, and noticed a drop in mileage with the wind hitting the tailgate all the way home.

Husby needed wire racks for hanging files for the file cabinet he bought at ReStore last week, and found the two sets he needed at GW, NIB, for $3 each. At Office Max, we found the exact same product for $15 each so saved $24 right there. :ndance:

I needed some clipboards for work and got two on clearance at Office Max, then found two more at Savers for $2 each. One of them is the storage type I had been eyeing on Amazon but had decided not to buy because they were too expensive and I didn't need them that badly. I was happy to get it. Now I think I'll be able to work down on the dock sometimes in the summer and not lose pages into the lake if there's a wind, because I can put quite a few pages inside the clipboard storage. Or use it for pens and other office items.

I got a wireless mouse I need for my office for $10, marked down from $30. Hope it works. Wireless mice and I have had issues in the past.

Bought a service cart for the garage. Where have these been all our lives? It was $110 which IIRC was more or less half price. We're going to set it up with all the tools we're always looking for in the garage. It should save us a ton of time and help us get much more organized, so we're not wasting time and getting frustrated looking for simple items. And we'll have a rolling table now to set tools on instead of trying to balance them on the sawhorses, which has resulted in damaged tools at times in the past when they've fallen off onto the cement floor.

A good time was had by all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Inlaws coming over for supper tonight. Instead of the original plan of buying and grilling chicken, I'm pulling 2 packs of doves out of the freezer and using them instead. They love them, I don't. I'll just grill me a burger instead. Saves on buying the chicken plus I'm trying to clear out the freezer so I'm killing 2 birds with one stone, lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Way to go, all! That's what this place is all about. Always learning and motivated by everyone here.

I had yesterday off and we went on car trip, hoping to see fall colors. Most of it is gone already, but still enjoyed the scenery. Ate breakfast at home instead of out, then had late lunch out, ordering water instead of my usual soda and a few snacks at home for dinner. Spent time with grandson and going again tonight to babysit while daughter and boyfriend go out to a movie. Also spent time with sons girlfriends kids last night. They ate leftovers. Did spend for movie tickets last night but skipped the usual popcorn, and shared a soda. Filled up at gas station on the way home that we had cents off perks to use before they expired.
    Today I worked, and did spend $2 for lunch. Brought an opened bottle of soda from home for my caffeine fix. Going now to daughters and dh and I will have a late supper here at home.
    I gave paperwork to office to use 8 of my PTO (paid time off) dollars for the day I called in last week when daughter had her baby.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh did well with the grocery shopping, he only bought the sale items that we normally would buy and had gas cents off perks. Saved 32 cents a gallon on 15 gallons. The food was healthy too, whole chickens, fish, greek yogurt, 12 grain bread. Saved $23.
    Took a 4.75 jog/walk on a new to us trail. My ankle is aching, it has been for a few weeks, may need better fitting shoes. On my feet a lot at work too. Finally made my 10,000 steps goal with fitbit.
    Quicker shower, less shampoo and rinse, lights off when not in room. Full load of laundry. Cut my own bangs. Saved $6

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Work than to my daughters to help her with baby, went for walk, made them supper from her pantry and ate with them. 10,000 steps made again today! Trying to keep fit so I can continue working until prepared for retirement.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast