2016 Grocery Budget Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in! I really need to stick with the challenges this year. I post in January, a little in February, and then disappear.

This year I'm aiming for 400/month for 2 adults, 2 teens. I'm going to try to include HBA/paper goods in the amount. I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, I'll allocate a separate amount for HBA.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is going to be a big learning year for me where the grocery budget is concerned. It's just dh and I now at home and sadly I still cook like both kids are home. On one hand that means lots of leftovers but on the other hand that means lots of leftovers. I'd like to really cut back this year so to start my plan is $75 a week/$300 for the month! My grocery budget includes everything from h&b to paper products to pet food and regular food.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I am starting at $500 a month, food only for 2 adults. I know I could easily feed us for that amount but I now need to look at it as feeding us for our health and I have lowered hubby's blood sugar levels to a normal range with food only( no meds!) Also, my priority is buying hubby's meat and animal products that are produced as humanly as I can find. I eat a veg diet so lots of cooking goes on here. Oh, and a great deal of what I buy is organic. I just looked up the usda cost of food. The most current chart shows for the 2 of us would be just under 500 for the low cost plan. If you have never looked at it they list thrifty, low cost, moderate and liberal. So at 500 a month for 2 people is $8.33 per person per day in a 30 day month. Going to try shopping and planning for 10 days at a time @ $125 per trip with the remaining $125 per month for stock up at Costco and azure standard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. I am clearing the pantry this week/weeks to see where I am. I do $500. a month for 3 adults (DD only eats here about 1/2 the time). This incl. Health and beauty,Paper goods but not pet products. Any money left will go to the freezer fund I spent on groc. this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in. There are two of us and we have just adopted two small kittens. Our budget will include everything so with the new cats I am aiming for $350 CAD.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My pantry/freezer inventory will take place Saturday. Kind of interested in what I'll have left after the holidays!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really need this challenge. It is my downfall area in being frugal. It's just my husband and myself with no pets. I do shop about 75% Aldi's and mostly the sale items at the regular grocery store. I was thinking of trying 50.00 week.

We don't eat fancy and love leftovers but i wanted to have that amount include everything. It doesn't look like enough when i type it out but i might just give it a go. I can adjust if need be. I do alot of coupon shopping and dollar store shopping. I do have a stocked pantry cupboard, freezer and fridge so I think I will do a paper inventory before Jan 1st. I can probably do the 50.00/week for quite a while.

Sorry if I am rambling.............I get started and can't seem to stop. haha

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am going to do a yearly total amount and see what happens this year.
    It is going to be $3000 or $250 a month. 2015 I budgeted $200 a month but with the price of food going up I went over a few months so hoping $250 will be a better number for the new year. I am also including all H and B in that amount but not much will be bought as I did an inventory and have lots of stuff that should last at least 6-12 months.
    Good luck everyone
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 29
    Tanner 25
    Johanna 20
    Grandma to Jaxson 4/18/14

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Alright-sent Dh to the store last night for New Years pizza dough and pop. $32.17. Dropped the eat out budget now. And the $25. New Years budget so its out of the Groc. He also got meatballs,milk and Ocean Spray on deep sale and 15 deposits (1.50 will come back eventually from the pop. 2L .77 so he got 15!!!).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for re-starting this challenge for this year, NikoSan! Tracking my grocery bills, coupon savings and eating out for '15 was an eye-opener (I choose to track these all for myself, not required should someone new here read this in the thread).

The totals for '15-
    groceries- $7221.79 for 2 adults, 2 school age kids, plus my oldest (17 yo boy) coming to stay here and there. That does include some, but not all, HBA and pet supplies. Not a ton, but once in a while. This comes to an average of $138.88 per week, over my $120, then $130 a week goal!
    coupons- $420.06, plus another $105.35 doubled, for a total of $525.41 saved at the grocery store using coupons (mostly printed online)
    eating out- $678.17 Ooof. More than I would have thought. We don't eat out a lot, some months not at all, others twice, but we did have some heavy months with birthdays, etc.

So, goals for 2016-
    -reign that grocery budget in check. $130 a week average over the year. Tracking it has opened my eyes to the fact that I'm close, but still over, taken as an average.
    -keep couponing. Maybe I can get that figure even higher in '16, as I got lazy about it some months in '15.
    -eating out- I'd like to see that stay below $600 for the year but fear that might be tough as we have some BIG birthdays and special occasions coming in '16. I'm aiming to sub ordering in more often in lieu of eating out at a place. Cheaper by far! So I'll shoot for $600 but take $700 in eating out, and be happy if I fall somewhere towards the middle there.

I'll do my best to update weekly as I KNOW it helps keep me in line. Good luck to all with their goals in this challenge this year!

Registered User Back2Basicsforme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in! My goal is $400 for 2 adults and 2 teenagers! I will not include pet food or HBA. Those will be separate. I hope to get everything refined down enough where I can include pet food and HBA but right now $400 a month is going to be a huge cut for us!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Khaski, I like your summary. I'm going to have to go on Quicken and see what our grocery and dining out are. I'm almost afraid to look!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to budget 150 a week for my family of two adult, two children and two dogs. This includes all food, paper, hba, dog food and my son's school lunches. I really went over the last couple of months. It was mostly do to stockpiling. I shouldn't need to buy quite a few things for awhile. I organized my pantry so I can see everything that much better so I don't buy too much of one thing. I think I have enough diapers and wipes for a couple of months. I also have plenty of hamburger at 1.77/lb I couldn't pass it up.

Good luck everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So here's the summary...not as good as I'd hoped. I'll see if I can beat it this year!

Groceries = $6177.34 CAD for 3 adults (includes hba and paper) or $515/mth. (budget was $600/mth)
    Dining Out = $1337.47

The last is way more than I anticipated, but it includes big family meals at funerals last spring. Like a couple $200 meals for 20-24 people. Plus the conference last Fall, which was a 3 week road trip. So I cannot complain. Still, it's a lot of money. I'll be looking forward to saving in these two areas in 2016.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My budget is $240/month for 2 adults. That includes paper and misc stuff from the grocery and CVS. It does not include the dog & cat costs.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast