2016 Grocery Budget Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Updated my total from today's shop and am horrified to realize that I'm almost at $500 and we aren't even halfway through January. I'm looking at my receipt to find the most expensive items I purchased.

First of all...I shop at the cheapest store in my area. I use print coupons when they are applicable, and digital coupons I download directly to my ShopRite account, which comes off automatically when I check out.

My biggest ticket items today were:

8 pack Sparkle paper towels $9.99 (saved $6.00 on sale)
    3 12 oz boxes of Special K (I buy generic for most cereals, however, ShopRite doesn't seem to make one for Special K) Originally $3.19 a box. After sales and coupons, I paid $1.66 a box
    Stevia packets for my tea $5.99 As a diabetic, I don't use real sugar, and my doctor says that Stevia is the closest to natural I can come
    Rump Roast $10.99
    2 pounds 93% lean ground beef $16.53
    2 gallons organic 1% milk $11.98 I buy organic because my kids drink so much of it, and I just don't want all the hormones and antibiotics in their diet
    (Not a big ticket item, but a good sale) 2 boxes of GoGurt normally $2.53 per box, after sales and coupons, I paid $1.62 per box

I also bought apples, oranges, pineapple, bananas, and chicken, but the prices were fairly good for those today.
    Then, the rest of the things we eat each week...bread, cheese, butter, etc.

The $195.34 I spent today isn't terrible, however, given the shop I had the other day, I feel like I should have done better. But, again, I took advantage of some sales, and I just couldn't walk away.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Seems like the meat and milk are killing you AmyBoz. You might want to shop around for those to see if someplace else has cheaper prices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So I started my budget for the month on the fourth. I knocked $100 dollars off my total amount. I needed to rework it to keep with up with my other budget categories. I am under so far and saved at least $90 with sales, coupons and rebates. I am going to do a small Sams Club trip on Wednesday and probably price match some things at Walmart on Friday. I am pretty stocked up on quite a few things. Will just pick up a few good deals as I see them. I budgeted $425 for the rest of the month and I have about $360 left. I should be just fine. I sent a check for my sons lunches to school $75 should hast him into Feb. I sent one for $25 the last week of school before Christmas break. In Feb. I will re figure what I need to send with him and take off the top of my grocery budget. I talked with my husband about my son taking his lunches to school. He is the one that gets the kids to where they need to go for the most part. He doesn't want to fiddle with making sure he takes a lunch. So I have just decided to go with it. They are expensive though 2.66 per lunch. Con of me working I guess.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Seems like the meat and milk are killing you AmyBoz. You might want to shop around for those to see if someplace else has cheaper prices.
    Unfortunately, where we live, ShopRite does have the cheapest prices. I could go back to non-organic milk, but like I said, I don't want my kids ingesting all the crap that goes along with it.

I would forgo the meat, altogether, but we are trying to eat less pasta. Dh lost almost 100 pounds, and I'm diabetic, and pasta is one of our issues. So, even though it's the cheapest option, it's one of the food areas we are trying to change.

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ugh! I hate it when there aren't any choices. I feel for you AmyBoz.

My goal today is to write up a grocery list and keep it under $100. The fridge is empty. This could be a challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good news! My father-in-law just stopped by and he brought all of the coupon inserts from the last two weekends with him. We don't get the paper, so this is the only way I can get the coupons. Very happy!!!

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

$143 new grocery/out to eat/HBA etc total so far
    Plan is to post weekly on Monday evenings. and track on calendar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amy coupons are always available on sites like coupon mom.com and Bargainstobounty,com free. Print in black and flip the opposite end of the printer paper the 2nd time to print on the same page. Magic money as my now adult kid used to say as a kindergartener.

Spent $19. at NEIMANS for 12 birthday donuts,3 boxes of cereal and ice cream. DH's bday splurge.
    $374. total. 1/11/16

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Managed to get out of the store having spent only $81.55 for two adults for the week. We bought a treat too...Texas cinnamon buns were 30% off.

For ~$82 we bought from Superstore:

Classico Tomato Sauce on sale for $2/jar limit 1
    28 oz. Diced tomatoes no salt, $1.97
    1 kg. Thompson raisins, $10,97
    1 kg. dried apricots, $15.98
    1 litre maple syrup $12.99/2, we bought 1
    5 oz. Unico tomato paste, 50 cents each in groups of 6, we bought 6
    1 litre 2% milk, $2
    1 doz. omega 3 eggs, $3.30
    1 pound unsalted butter, $5
    750 ml. plain Astro Balkan yogurt, $2
    1 litre almond milk (Silk), $2.80
    200 gm. whole white mushrooms, $1.70
    2 lb. organic carrots, $2
    2 organic celery hearts, $2.70
    5 medium tomatoes, $3.00
    1 yellow sweet pepper, $2.20
    1 bunch organic broccoli, $3.50
    6 Texas cinnamon buns, $4.20 (that's the price with the 30% taken off)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Joining in a little late. But better late than never. I always seem to do pretty well with the grocery budget but this year is going to be a little more of a necessity than normal. My car is on its last legs.....only driving it back and forth the 5 miles or so one way to work. So a new (to me) vehicle is in the near future. This month, I am trying to stick to $30-$40 per week. Fingers crossed. Last week I spent a total of $29 at 2 stores and am actually pretty well stocked. This week, we will see. I do know that I will be going to our local meat market because they have ground beef for $2.39 a pound and they do this around every 3 to 4 weeks so I have been trying to stay stocked up with that. Here's to hoping this week goes as well as last week......and that I can find a vehicle I can afford, which means cheap!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have already spent $57 so far this week. Eggs, milk, bread, dog food, somehow it all adds up way too fast. Still, we are eating super well right now which is nice. We are also way over on our eat out goal but I knew that was super low for us when we set it. Hoping to even it all out over the coming weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

hit the Kroger and Aldi for $179.08
    So at $553.08 and getting quite stocked in. But I suspect we tip over budget w/ most of the month left.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my grocery list was small but I came across a few deals that were on my stockpile list that I couldn't pass up. Another $98 but still under my monthly goal. Fingers crossed no good sales for the rest of the month
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Registered User Back2Basicsforme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So it's only mid way through the month and we are at over 300 of our 400 budget.....Although I do have to say, we are going to be on a learning curve here for a few months. My boyfriend is just starting the process of going for bariatric surgery. So he has to eat a special diet until the surgery and then there after...will be limited as well. So we had to go out yesterday and buy what he needed for starting this journey. But we will keep plugging, watching for sales and strategically planning....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Back to baking all our own bread/buns/cinna buns again....the price for this is through the roof here. Made 3 doz buns and 2 large loaves of bread - probably saved about $15 after the cost of ingredients. Also have mixture cooling to make deep fried chicken croquettes....every little bit of homemade helps the budget :-) Still trying to stay under $500 a month for our family of three now - usually a lot more people on the weekends though.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast