2016 What Did You Do Frugal Today - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Leftovers for supper last night and for lunch today.
    Supper tonight will be hm chicken soup out of the freezer.
    Work snacks are fruits that have to be eaten or they will end up in the garbage in another day or 2.
    Yesterday we each ate 1 yellow cherry tomato and 3 pea pods from the garden. Not enough to call it a snack but it sure tasted good.

Need to menu plan for the week.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - $621.02/$3,330.56
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $3,172.43/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$1,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ate 2 days old brats for dinner w/ peppers and tomato-delicious.
    Skipped class due to a head ache so I saved on gas

Most of our food is now fron the pantry and Aldis. I get my freezer replacement this next month hopefully.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

IF we make it, today will be Day #2 for both me and DH not smoking.

Brought all food to work again today.
    Supper will be leftover sausage and corn on the cob from the weekend and peas from the freezer.
    DH has hm lasagna from the freezer thawing for my lunch tomorrow.
    2020 Goals:

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Leftovers for lunch.

Supper in the crockpot.

Boarder confessed he does eat a lot normally. But he's liking the food we're feeding him here.

We did another grocery run last night for $75 for the week for 3 of us. Not bad. But it does put me over my budget with the Costco membership and trip earlier this month.

Reading library books for an upcoming course.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I potted two peppers from an AeroGarden. The big one was full of blossoms and two feet tall, but wasn't producing any peppers. Don't know why. Maybe I need new LEDs. I'm not sure these will live because I managed to break the top half off the big one, and hydro plants don't seem to like to be put into dirt if they're very big. But it's worth a try because the big one was shading the little one, so it was never going to do anything, and the big one wasn't producing. If they die, they die. At least I tried.

Frugally, I reused dirt and pots from our patio plants last year. I also put the pot on a salvaged enamel broiler pan so it doesn't leak all over the LR floor. We can't put plants out till the end of the month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - how are the peppers doing? We had 2 different tomato plants wilt bad for no apparent reason, I cut them both off stuck them in water - one sprouted roots and the other died. I'm ahead of the "do nothing game" and I hope you are too.

Yesterday I had pollenated what could be our first zucchini. I'm so excited!

Brought lunch from the freezer today.

I'm still not smoking!! This is day 4 for me. DH confessed to me last night that he caved and bought a pack on day 2. He still had 2 left this morning so he's smoking less than 1/2 a pack a day. That's way better than 1.5 packs a day.
    2020 Goals:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It takes concerted effort to quit smoking. My SIL tried three times before succeeding. He had motivation though. His wife, my DD, is asthmatic. Hang in there! Not only will your pocketbook thank you, but so will your body!

My frugal thing today was to hold DH back from buying a new cell phone. We went out looking at them and laptops, but didn't buy a thing.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL.....another question for you? You pollinated what may be your first zuc? How and why? Is this why I am the only one in the world who has a hard time growing zuc! Thanks in advance!

I posted on the other frugal challenge thread that I am mixing protein powder I do not like with one I do and it taste good! Also, going to hang some blankets on the line this afternoon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL, the peppers seem to be perking up a little bit. Hard to tell if they'll make it. I wish I could put them in the greenhouse but it's supposed to be in the high twenties overnight this weekend and it's not heated, and now concrete or rock floor for passive solar heat either. All in good time.

Pollinating stuff is easy, TDN. For peppers and tomatoes all you need to do is shake them firmly once a day. Since AeroGardens grow stuff indoors, if we don't pollinate we don't get any fruit. You can also use a small paintbrush or a Q-tip or the tip of you finger and rub some pollen from one flower onto whatever object you choose, then transfer the pollen to another flower just by touching the center of the second flower where its pollen is. Basically, you need to 'be the bee'! That's all they do to pollinate stuff, they crawl around inside the flowers, get pollen on their legs, and then the pollen is transferred to the next flower as they crawl around in it, and so on. Wind moves pollen around, too.

Hang in there with quitting smoking, and encourage your husband not to stop quitting, too. From what I've heard it's a process for most people and they need to quit several times before the quitting sticks. He has not failed until he quits trying! Congrats to you for your four days! Keep going!

I don't know what I've done today that's frugal, except maybe tentatively cancel our vacation. It's so dang dry here we're concerned about leaving home for that far and that long, especially since there have already been several fires in the area. We'll make a final decision Saturday or Sunday. We may get some precip tomorrow night, but I'm not holding my breath because the foreguessers keep promising nice rainfall and every night this week they've scaled back the expected amount. But Plan B is to stay home and rip into the garage project, so either way we'll be happy.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honestly, I had no idea! Not to sound stupid but I guess I thought the bees did more than just moving the pollen from bloom to bloom. So if LL just has 1 bloom how do you pollinate that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You got me there! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by TDN View Post
    LL.....another question for you? You pollinated what may be your first zuc? How and why? Is this why I am the only one in the world who has a hard time growing zuc! Thanks in advance!.
    TDN
    Why? Because my first female bloomed and I wanted to make sure I got a zucchini. After I get the first few then I let nature do it's thing on it's own and by the end of the season I will pray for them to die but I'm always so excited in the beginning.

How? The female is the one with the fruit behind the blossom (zucchini in this case) I pick a male (no fruit) and tear the petals away from the pollen maker in the center and rub it on the girls pollen maker - aka garden sex. If your girl blooms it's best to use a male that blooms that day. If you can't, then use a male from the day before and if you can't then use one the day after the girl blooms. If they bloom any further than the day before or after it will not work because the pollen will have dried up. Did that help? I know, way more technical (and wordy) the Spirit Deer....tooooo many years in Toastmasters learning the gift of gab.

DH hasn't been picking the flowers during the week so I will this weekend and I will post pictures of frying them. And if pollenate the girls then I don't pick their flowers...in the beginning. later in the season (when I'm starting to get tired of zucchinis) I will tear the flower off but leave the pollination parts intact on the fruit. And when I grow pumpkins I do the hand pollination and eat their flowers too.

Peanut - Yep, I'll keep at it. I quit 10 years ago for 4 years. I know people that used meth, cocaine, other drugs, alcoholics..... and they said quitting smoking was harder than quitting drugs.

SD - Dang! That's even colder than it was in Idaho this time of the year. I hope the peppers continue to perk up. With DH cutting back a pack a day I consider that a HUGE victory!! This was his idea so that helps his motivation a lot - especially after he saw the extra $300 in his checking account from his cutting back in April.

Frugal today.....
    brought my lunch - leftovers out of the freezer
    Stayed all day at my job Bored to tears but I stayed all day. Only 45 minutes to go!!
    Not sure what else was/will be frugal besides the normal work day stuff.
    2020 Goals:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by TDN View Post
    Honestly, I had no idea! Not to sound stupid but I guess I thought the bees did more than just moving the pollen from bloom to bloom. So if LL just has 1 bloom how do you pollinate that?
    Not just one bloom - my first girl bloom. The boy flowers always start a couple weeks or so before the girls to bring the bees to pollenate.
    2020 Goals:

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL.....thanks.....I have never even heard of this before. I guess I am going to need to pay attention to my zuc this year and figure it out. I never knew the difference between male and female flowers. So how do you decide which and how many blossoms to pick to fry? I guess I am glad to know all this now. I probably would have went and picked all the blossoms then not get any fruit! That's what would happen right.....no blossoms no fruit? Ok that was probably a stupid question cause where would you get fruit if you had no blossoms!

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Livin Large View Post
    Not just one bloom - my first girl bloom. The boy flowers always start a couple weeks or so before the girls to bring the bees to pollenate.
    Oh......that makes sense!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast