2016 What Did You Do Frugal Today - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

TDN - I figure 3-5 blossoms per person or more if your a big eater (teenager) because let's face it a blossom covered in egg wash and cracker crumbs just isn't a whole lot of fill. I have 2 plants this year and I pick the blossom in the morning while they are still open (before they close and wilt), take out the pollen parts, put them in a ziplock bag in the fridge and they will last several days so you can gather enough to fry. The male flowers I pick the whole thing and take out the middle to pollenate the girls and with the girls I will carefully tear down one side of the flower and around the pollen parts so I don't destroy the pollination process. I remember watching mom do this when I was a kid.

No fruit if you pick all the boy parts and/or all the girl parts. If you just pick the blossom and leave the pollination parts behind the bugs and bees should do their part in the pollination process.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - $621.02/$3,330.56
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $3,172.43/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$1,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LL... I think I got it! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today instead of buying an Ipod docking station for my stereo receiver (which runs ~$80) I just took a usb cord that goes from the ipod to computer and used it with a cell phone charger wall plug. They're both voltage compatible. That covers the charging. Then I used an RCA to headphone jack cord I already had, it came with a used receiver, to get the audio. Dialed the receiver to the DOCK channel and can now enjoy my mp3's on the stereo.

Ate leftovers for lunch, skipped the afternoon $1.08 coffee, and avoided tolls. I did forget about a $2 off entire purchase coupon at a grocery store. Missed it by one day!!!

Picked up some free storage containers from work. The company is moving (sucks for mileage and gas). At least I get some freebies.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talked to my CPA today to find out what else I can do to reduce my taxes. He basically that I'm already doing everything I can and the next step would be for us to start a small business for a little income but the tax write-offs will reduce our taxes. Something to think about and discuss....not real sure if I want all the headaches because I'll be the one left doing all the books.....something to think about. Oh, I know!!! A quilt store!! Then when it "fails" I will have all the fabric for quilting a girl could dream of.

Cooked the brussel sprouts that were in the fridge and ate them for breakfast.

Ate tacos using lo meat, cilantro and 6 tiny cherry tomatoes from the garden, home canned refried beans. Unfortunately the lettuce and peppers were in the fridge too long. I saved what I could for the tacos and the rest was thrown out.

I got lo sausage gravy out of the freezer to thaw for breakfast tomorrow.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - $621.02/$3,330.56
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $3,172.43/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$1,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cleaned out the fridge and made up every single fresh fruit or veggie into something to take on vacation. I emptied out five pickle keepers, I think. Not all of them had pickles in. I made a garden veggies salad and a pasta salad to use up most of it, and will pack up the kiwis, apples, and oranges to take along. There are four and a half pounds of baby carrots in there and I'm taking them all because it's so darn much fun to feed the wild donkeys. Sota will eat some too and so will we. Not while we're feeding the donkeys though.

I got some stuff out of the freezer for the trip, too. I think the only thing we'll need to buy somewhere along the way is bananas.

I boiled a couple dozen eggs to take too. They're so handy for all kinds of stuff.

I love leaving a nearly empty fridge when we go on a trip, so nothing spoils while we're gone.

Frugally, we'll be taking the camper which is not frugal if you consider the initial cost, but that goes down every time we stay in that instead of in a hotel. Not only do we save on room rates, but we save because we are making our own meals so seldom eat out. We chose very carefully when we bought our trailer to make sure it would tow lower than the truck, rather than have to settle for a 25% reduction in mileage and put up with a dangerously squirrely trailer when towing across the windy west. We lose only about 1 mpg towing our lightweight, low trailer.

Recognize this, LL? Massacre Rocks State Park on the Snake River, Idaho. That was a beautiful park and so different than anywhere we had been before. We'll go back someday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh is going to fix the sheared bolts on the second mower and that should cost about $3. I will finish the mow saving $20-$40. on mowing.
    We will load the Honda in the van to get an estimate on the deck damage I did. We prob. will fix it ourselves if its fixable.

Put another $1000. back into the bank to rebuild our post surgery/post unemployment savings.

Last week i made a settlement w/ the gym and paid no fees,interset and closed the acct. (they had stopped auto pay and i didnt notice)

Making either sloppy joes or tacos today.
    Took Dmom out for Mothers Day by ourselves and spent only $23. She didnt want a gift because she is "moving" soon.

Refilled the slow leak again on the van. Need to replace the tire soon or at least the valve stem but not until paychecks are solid.

free entertainment-the sweetest pair of house finches are nesting in the tree just outside the window.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234