2017 Grocery Budget Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So my budget for a family of 5 is $300 including all toiletries except diapers and dog food. I spent 316.13. But January was kinda a long month.

So i'm hoping Feb works out for me And i'm totally happy with only spending $316 on groceries last month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ermadunk View Post
    gallon and guart freezer bags
    If you have a Walgreens nearby every 3 or 4wks they put their brand of storage bags on sale for .99cents.
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a mistake on grocery bill for Jan. only spent $108.58 had $11.42 left .In 79 years you are allowed one mistake.JK Wish one was all i ever made.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Finally remembered to total January and had the time at the same time Man, was I over the $200 which I was trying to include pet. I doubted I'd make it but gave it a shot.

So goal was $200 and my total was $342.69 so over by $142.69. Dang. But this has never been normal in the past going over that much and I WILL say I did a LOT of stockpiling while I had the money.

But like I said above I'm going to raise the $200 instead of separating the pet food plus I'm going to do as much stockping as I can possibly do between now and him selling the business for whatever we get out of it. So I'm upping the $200 to $300 and go from there. I plan on taking advantage of any BOGO's that I always use plus using coupons and sales. I'm hoping to have at least 3 or 4 cycles of the same sales before we do this. I haven't printed coupons and/or cut in a long time. Need to go back to it.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I set my grocery budget at $200 a month. I usually come in under that, and could do a lot better if I ate less convienent foods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2-8 spent $23.55 on food today
    house hold products $5.41

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

HI everyone. I started my frugal journey with a grocery budget of $250.00 for one person. I have chipped away at it and now My budget is $165.00 every month for just one person. It includes toiletries and household items. I'm hoping to get it down some more. So far I haven't felt any deprivation. You all are so inspiring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Raiquee View Post
    So my budget for a family of 5 is $300 including all toiletries except diapers and dog food. I spent 316.13. But January was kinda a long month.

So i'm hoping Feb works out for me And i'm totally happy with only spending $316 on groceries last month.
    Hi There - I am not sure if it's cool to post questions here, so if not, please let me know. Anyway, I just wanted to ask...how do you manage to feed a family of 5 on $300 a month? Is that just food or do you count other items as well? We are a family of four plus a couple of pets and I spend about $300 a week!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2-15 went store today spent $7.72 on groceries and $4.35 on household.They didn't have some of the groceries I was looking for.Then I stopped at a place where they sell things to help a school for disable children spent $4.75 got some things I could use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not the original poster, but my guess is she is not buying a lot of processed foods that cost more because of the labor that's been done for you. Also buying when it's on sale, not just what you usually buy. I only buy chicken at a certain price, pork at a certain price, and so on. Things like soup where you can stretch the meat content with vegetables and grain are a big help. Baking simple goods like muffins and bread at home costs a few cents instead of dollars. You are trading your time for food cost. If you don't have time to cook from scratch, then what you are spending may be entirely reasonable for your family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$114 of $180 spent and I have not included anything for my parents since I have not been able to see them since January.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    I'm not the original poster, but my guess is she is not buying a lot of processed foods that cost more because of the labor that's been done for you. Also buying when it's on sale, not just what you usually buy. I only buy chicken at a certain price, pork at a certain price, and so on. Things like soup where you can stretch the meat content with vegetables and grain are a big help. Baking simple goods like muffins and bread at home costs a few cents instead of dollars. You are trading your time for food cost. If you don't have time to cook from scratch, then what you are spending may be entirely reasonable for your family.

Those are all very good points! I do not buy much processed food anymore. And I cook actual meals 99.9% of the time. Over the past couple of years we've done quite an overhaul of how and what we eat. It is really amazing to me how much bad stuff we put into our bodies...many times, as you pointed out, for the sake of convenience. There are things I buy that cost a little more, like better meats for example. Plus I count non-food items in my grocery budget, such as cleaning products, toiletries, pet stuff, etc. Maybe I will figure out what I spend on only food items...it is probably a lot less than I realize!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, for my family of six plus dog and cat I've optimistically put my goal at $125 per week average. Because I do so many big orders and then not so much for a while I've found the average to be essential. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near my goal. I'm including everything except eating out. All groceries, paper products, cleaning products, diapers, pet food and over the counter meds. Our eating habits have changed somewhat over the last year and a half. I'm buying a lot more fresh produce that I used to refuse to purchase because it is so expensive. Also, due to my six month old I haven't made it to the produce auction since before she was born. My current average is $156 and I really want to lower that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2-17 spent $37.61 on groceries
    2-17 spent $6.53 on house hold and grooming items

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got a very good price on a ham today. Meat manager says it's his fault he over-ordered hams. I said I appreciated it. This is the 4th or 5th on this winter. $40 left in budget for this month.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast